UPDATE: Driver in Fatal Crash at Maryland International Raceway Identified

May 26, 2014

lamontakins

UPDATE 5/26/14 @ 2:30 a.m.: According to the lehighvalleylive.com news site, after an initial test run, no one could have expected Lamont Akins’ day on the drag strip would end tragically, according to his best friend.

“He made the second pass and something happened to the car,” said Easton resident Darrin Robinson. “He ended up rolling it.”

Robinson said Akins was at the racetrack for a “grudge” race. Also known as a match race, it involves drivers who challenge each other for cash or even pink slips to the cars.

Robinson said he raced cars with Akins since they were teenagers. They attended Plainfield High School together in northern New Jersey and met in ninth grade on a race track, he said.

Akins worked during the day as a mechanic at VIP Honda in North Plainfield, N.J., where he started fresh out of high school, Robinson said. But he pursued his passion on area drag strips during his free time.

Lori Akins said her husband was an avid racer and was at the track pursuing his hobby.

Lori went to the track after receiving word of the 12:20 p.m. crash. She was on her way back to the Lehigh Valley at 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE AND UPDATE AT lehighvalleylive.com

UPDATE 5/25/14 @ 9:50 p.m. Official Statement from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office:
On May 25, 2014 at 12:21 pm, deputies responded to the Maryland International Raceway for an accident on the racetrack.

Emergency medical personnel arrived and pronounced the driver of the vehicle dead at the scene. A preliminary  investigation indicated Lamont Freeman, age 48, was racing his 1971 Plymouth Duster. After crossing the finish line, Freeman lost control, struck a barrier, and was ejected from the vehicle.

Anyone with video of the accident is asked to contact Deputy Beyer at 301.475.4040.

UPDATE 5/25/14 @ 7:00 p.m.: The driver in today’ crash has been Identified Lamont Akins, 48 of Easton, Pa.

5/25/14 @ 12:50 p.m.: A car crash at Maryland International Raceway was reported on Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.

A preliminary investigation revealed a race car driven by a 48 year old male rolled several times, ejecting the driver.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office has responded to the scene.

75 Responses to UPDATE: Driver in Fatal Crash at Maryland International Raceway Identified

1. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Prayer to the driver and Family

2. lmao@stupidity on May 25, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Thoughts and prayers to the driver, family, friends and to all who witnessed this tragedy.

3. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Who was this?

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I worked with him here in Nj. Avid racer great guy.

4. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Praying for the family

5. Dave on May 25, 2014 at 5:17 pm

RIP Lamont

6. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Hope it had nothing to do with the no track prep races ??

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I highly doubt that.

• Anonymous on May 29, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Article said it happened after he crossed the finish line so i really doubt that

7. Charles E. Wynn on May 25, 2014 at 5:47 pm

He is Lamont Akins; a friend,father,husband, VIP honda mechanic ; who has a passion for racing and life; he lives in Easton, Pa. and work almost 75 miles from his house; which he travel 6 to 7 days a week. Easton and the world has lost a GREAT man.

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I remember Lamont and his racecar as I grew up in north Plainfield, he was always nice to me as a neighborhood kid interest in his fast car.. Rip Lamont.

• kaye on May 26, 2014 at 9:37 am

RIP cousin!!

• Monello on May 26, 2014 at 6:56 pm

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a good friend of yours.

8. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 7:32 pm

was there today. sad to watch. closed the track right after. will never forget him there

9. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm

MIR is probably the SAFEST track in the region. Even without “prep” the track is prepped better than most others. They are strict, and safe. The crew is pro, and hawks when it comes to track condition. Make no mistake it is tragic, and my condolences to the family, friends, and spectators today, but the “track” was not an side here I can guarantee it.

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 11:07 pm

That doesn’t matter … Someone loss their life, no one cares about the track or how it was set up.. It was a tragic ACCIDENT and a fatal one at that… Your condolences are welcome.. Let’s leave it their

• Anonymous on May 26, 2014 at 4:27 am

It does matter. Somone had stated they hoped a no track prep race wasn’t to blame. The fact that Mir is very well maintained is absolutely relevant to the conversation. If you don’t know #### about racing send your condolences and leave it at that.

• C on May 26, 2014 at 9:19 am

The comment you replied to was in response to the one above that said “Hope it had nothing to do with the no track prep races ??”. The person wasn’t minimizing the loss, only stating that MIR is a safe track.

10. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hope he knew the good Lord before. Prayers go out to the friends & family.

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Lamont lived his passion, but what a tragic to loss to all his love ones. A great guy who
      nurtured life, had many long time and life time friends in New Jersey. May God bless and keep his family strong.

11. Sad fan on May 25, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Very sad and MIR takes a ton of precautions to prevent this sort of thing RIP and I hope you didn’t suffer

12. Terry Buser on May 25, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Adkins family. Pray that he was a Christian man and is with the Lord now. Another angel in heaven.

13. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm

RIP. So sorry

14. Mopower on May 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm

my thoughts and prayers go out to the family Lamont was a very good friend, is going to be greatly missed

15. suca on May 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm

He was amazing friend and all of the above. Greatest sense of humor, role model. He will be so missed! Prayers to all!

16. Connie King on May 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm

As a member of the racing society, my heart goes out to the family and friends. We are a part of the racing family at the Mason Dixon Dragway. Every weekend we know that something could go wrong. Again, I am reaching out to the family, sending my thoughts and prayers.

17. LA. Dagwood on May 25, 2014 at 9:27 pm

May He Rest in Peace

18. Carolyn Parsons on May 25, 2014 at 9:31 pm

So sad to hear this. Prayers to the family.

19. callaway on May 25, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Prayer be with you

20. Lavince Holmes on May 25, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Rest in peace Lamont we will miss you great friend and a good man

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 11:03 pm

My father was a good man. He loved racing. It was his passion. Thank you everyone for your condolences. My family and all his friends appreciate it. Please pray for us .

• Pertrice on May 27, 2014 at 4:29 pm

My condolences go out to you and your family. Your dad is a great man. Any time I needed advice on cars he’d stop what he was doing and help out.

He has left a HUGE impression while here on this earth. R.I.P. Lamont

• Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Rip driver. Thoughts and prayers to your family and friend

21. Bill on May 25, 2014 at 10:15 pm

A great guy all around. God speed Lamont!!

22. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 10:31 pm

My family was at the track today. Such a sad thing to have happened. Sending prayers to the family.

23. Robin on May 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Rest in Peace Lamont. You were a friend, a father, a husband and a good man. I believe in my heart that you knew The Lord. My prayers go out to the family. You will truly be missed. Heaven had another Angel.

24. Ann Akins on May 25, 2014 at 10:43 pm

THANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR CONDOLENCES…. MY FAMILY APPRECIATES IT. MY BROTHER DIED DOING WHAT HE LOVED…TAKING THAT WHITE GHOST DOWN THE TRACK!!

25. Anonymous on May 25, 2014 at 11:08 pm

My thoughts and prayers to Lamont’s family. Rest in peace Lamont you will be missed…

26. Darrin Robinson on May 25, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Lamont loved racing and his family , he had tons of friends and would give you his shirt off his back. everyone loved hogs aka Lamont , his duster was his pride and joy a lot of time and money put into it. he worked hard and loved even harder! everyone gained something by knowing Lamont. i would know this being his friend since 9th grade , we loved working on cars we loved racing my best friend passed doing what he loved ! Lamont Atkins Freeman was a great man something went wrong today i know we aren’t suppose to ask why, but god gained a great angle today. prayers and blessings to my family

27. michelle sandone on May 25, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Lamont was a great Dad and friend. Our hearts are broken. Thoughts and prayers are with Thomas and Lori.

• Betty Tate on May 26, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Lamont was a good father. His first child is Tenesha. Mitchell. Please pray.

28. cassandra on May 26, 2014 at 12:38 am

Rip my bother. Wow didn’t know you that well. I’m sure you’ll with our father in heaven. God will continue to watch and take care your family.

29. cassandra on May 26, 2014 at 12:42 am

May God bless and help our family get though this. Rip my bother your sister, Nan in Georgia

30. Smoov 1 on May 26, 2014 at 12:50 am

Rip to my brother Lamont. It is a tough lost for my family personally and I know it is an impossible lost for your family. You will truly be missed bro. God definitely has another one of his angels home. Love you bro till we meet again.

31. RACHAEL SPENCER on May 26, 2014 at 1:03 am

R.I.P Lamont Freeman prayers to your family GOD has another Angel!!!

32. Jay on May 26, 2014 at 5:48 am

R.I.P your in GOD’s hands now

33. Paul P on May 26, 2014 at 7:23 am

Will keep him and his family in my prayers.

34. Anonymous on May 26, 2014 at 9:09 am

Godspeed Lamont. May The Lord bless your soul and help your family and loved ones be at peace.

35. Rich on May 26, 2014 at 10:16 am

Wow…can’t believe it. Lamont was a good man. My prayers go out to Lori and Thomas.

RIP Cousin

36. Dorothy Porch on May 26, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Wow, I am in shock about the passing of my buddy Lamont. I have known Lamont since he was about 12 years old. Met him on West End Ave, he lived right across the street from me & my family. I was his counselor at camp….Lamont encourage me to buy my 1st Honda in 1985 and he would service it for me and I did. Since then I bought 4 other Hondas with Lamont servicing all of them. Lamont was a caring person and would tell you things only out of concern, he believed in giving the truth to you even though sometimes you didn’t want to hear it. I watched he grow into a fine family man who took care of his family. Recently I had an accident with my Honda CRV and totaled it. I had planned on getting some work done on my CRV by Lamont but once it was totaled I couldn’t. I ask Lamont that if he knew of anyone selling a Honda let me know I wanted to buy a used car. He told me to call him the next day, I did and in stead he had me talk to a salesman of VIP Honda. Lamont said to me “why would you buy a used car, you don’t know the problems that it can give you. Get a new car this way I won’t have service it for about 2 years and it won’t break down”. I listened and I did in my heart I knew that Lamont was right and also I said to myself that I have been coming to Lamont since 1985 he is saying this out of concern. I am gonna MISS him I am so glad that I had the pleasure of being a friend of his and yes GOD has called home a true trooper to march in his band of ANGELS.

37. GEOF on May 26, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I WORKED WITH LAMONT AT VIP YEARS AGO, HE WORKED ON MY OWN CARS. RIP BROTHER U WERE ONE OF THE GOOD ONES. CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY.

38. Elliot on May 26, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I didnt know you well but we had dusters n racing in common , very sorry about this tragedy rest in peace . “mopar to ya”

39. Don Bosley on May 26, 2014 at 5:54 pm

God rest your soul,you will be missed,,family stay strong, and you guys are in my prayers!!!

• Anonymous on May 26, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Speechless…we were planning a fishing trip together with our kids….RIP to one of the greatest friends I ever had…. prayers are with the family.

40. shenta on May 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

My deepest sympathy to the family during their time of grief prayers going up God bless may he rest peacefully and meet his loved ones again

41. Billy and Alan from front street on May 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm

We lost a great guy and long time friend heard about the lost I’m in North Carolina he was just here racing a couple of months ago. We will never 4 get u One love

42. Anonymous on May 26, 2014 at 10:07 pm

While I did not know Lamont personally, his loss is a tremendous loss to all of us in the racing community. My family has been racing for the last 20+ years. We all know the risk we take when we get in the staging lanes., but it is a risk we gladly take. Lamont died doing what he loved. May his family find comfort in knowing that his loss is felt by many. RIP Lamont!!

43. Tony Chastain on May 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I heard about this from a freind.I was upset.Drag racing is the sport I love and 99% of all of use know this can happen ,but we don’t think about it. He died doing what he loved, how many of us would say, ” We would like to go the way you want?” It’s never a good feeling when it happens, but I didn’t know the man , but if he could tell you, what a ride.All racers will be sad for a tragedy that happened to one of us, but Lamont went home the way i bet he wanted. Wish I had the chance to meet him. Look down on all of us that are left on Earth and watch over us Lamont. We are all brothers and sisters in Gods eyes, we lost a brother for a short time , but I bet he’s with each and everyone he raced with and knew. God watch over you and bless you, REST EASY FREIND.

• Anonymous on May 27, 2014 at 8:21 am

Beautifully said Tony Chastain , Rest Easy Brother.

44. George Nichols on May 27, 2014 at 8:59 am

I have been sick since hearing this . Lamont was a very dear friend he spent 10-12 years in the 80’s and 90’s travling from track to track with me racing.I NEVER had to worry about a thing he drove me from 1 hour to 20 hours to FLa and everywhere in between,never did I worry about anything with the car ..he took care of that .I owe it all to him,his heart, his sweat his blood was put into what we were trying to do….THANK YOU for being YOU . From the day’s of hanging out at Vip to the stops at the church (only he will know this) in Bradenton Fla. I cherish the times for ever. My prayer’s go out to his wife,son and everyone who knew him. I love you forever RIP my brother

• Darrin Robinson on May 29, 2014 at 7:46 pm

George couldn’t have said it any better! Lamont loved the fact the he was on the road with you traveling all over making memories. I was looking for a post from you glad i checked back. George we never forgot where we started from you, Mike Lewis,Cookie,Nate let us tag along and we learned from all of you.the passing of our brother is hard but just know he was as happy as he could be to still be drag racing and doing what he loved to do.

45. Talaina on May 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm

My deepest warmest condolences to the family. Lamont was a great guy, kept you laughing. Darren, Ron and Jeff you guys are in my prayers love you all much
    T

46. NeiceeB on May 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and colleagues of Mr. Akins. I have a love of racing and enjoy events at MIR. Losing a loved one so suddenly is heart wrenching. Reading such loving comments from family members and friends lets us all know a great person has left this Earth. May the prayers and thoughts of many be of comfort to you during this time of sadness and reflection.

47. Unknow on May 27, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Prayers for the family….I was there. Why they want the tape. It’s done and over with! MIR…BUDDS CREEKS has video…. but the video isn’t going to bring him back, and Budds creek don’t care about no one butt themselves…..up and racing 3/4 hours later.. smh,

• Anonymous on May 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm

The Sheriff’s Department wanted the video for their investigation. As for MIR, they were not sure whether they would continue racing. Mr. Miller and his staff were very upset and patrons waited a long time that day for them to determine whether the racing would continue. The family of Mr. Akins wanted them to continue with the event. The track also took up a donation to help the family with expenses. And in case you are wondering…no, I am not affiliated with the race track. Actually, this was the first race I have been to in several years. It was heartbreaking to have this happen and I send condolences and prayers out the the family. May God bless you all.

• Anonymous on May 28, 2014 at 8:56 am

If you were there, then you would have known what was going on. The officials at MIR announced early on that they did not know what the outcome of the race was going to be, whether they were going to continue it or not. They later announced that they had spoken to Lamont’s family and asked them what their wishes were, as far as the race was concerned. His family were the ones who said it was OK for the race to continue. You should also know, or have known, that they asked for any video or photographs during the investigation, which meant the police and others at the bottom of the track doing the investigation wanted/needed to see it. If MIR had it, they would not have asked the public for it. Please know the facts before you go off on an unnecessary rant. This is not the time or the place for it. RIP Lamont.

48. jackie on May 27, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I met Lamont back in the 80’s through my cousin Al Ruth, just like someone mentioned, I bought my first car at VIP Honda, and guess who was my mechanic, he knew his stuff, there was not one question he couldn’t answer,Lamont was honest, decent, and respectable, a true role model. My heart stopped when I heard this tragic news, but GOD loves him best, people keep saying they hope he knew GOD, that doesn’t matter because he was a child of GOD if he did or not, GOD knew him!
    This man was truly an Angel and my heart go’s out to his wife and family, I pray for strength for us all. We love you Lamont, you were the BEST!!! RIP!! Hugs and Kisses!

49. Chuck A on May 27, 2014 at 10:47 pm

My family and i would like to send our prayers out to Lamount, his family and friends. I’ve known Lamount for over 30 years. Every time i heard them start their race cars i would run full speed around the corner. He met my two youngest kids and my Grandson last year and always asked about them whenever i saw him. He has a Great since of humor and he’s a good sport. God doesn’t take junk only the best. To Lamount’s family and friends we pray that you stay strong and healthy at such a difficult time. R.I.P Bro

50. Ellis Vial on May 28, 2014 at 6:31 am

May God pick Lamont up and hold him in his arms, and may Our Father ease the pain in the Hearts of Lamonts Family.Race every day in Heaven Lamont,God Speed.

51. frankie on May 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

A good friend and def.a role model to those that knew him. FISH MAN YOU WILL BE MISSED! My condolences to the family.R.i.P

52. Mom Marlene, Ronald, Nailah on May 29, 2014 at 7:53 pm

There are no words to express the lost of such a wonderful person. It was truly a privilege as well as pleasure to have such a marvelous person in our family and life. There will never be another person to touch our hearts as unique. We’ve been truly blessed to have you in our presence. A loss like no other. You will be severely missed. Although all wounds heal, the bruise on our hearts will forever hurt. Rest In Paradise. Sorrowly submitted, Mom Marlene, Ronnie, and Nailah

53. Alvin on May 29, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I remember you Lamont as thee kid next door, I knew you were someone special, had I known you would have a love for fast cars, then to become a racer, I didn’t realize how good you were, but I must admit, you were Great!!!! I will miss you very much, and will keep all those fond memories of you and the boys at the track. RIP my good friend, my prayers for the family.Alvin

54. DougieMom on May 30, 2014 at 2:40 pm

so sad. Didn’t know Lamont, but spent many hours at MIR, as did my ex hubby. RIP, sounds like you were quite a fine gent who was loved, and will be missed.

55. Harold86@email.com on June 1, 2014 at 10:16 am

Mir is without the best and safest track in .md or for that matter the east coast.last night at capital however while Gary’s beautiful car sat at the finishline burning and exploding with him still in the car their was only and ambulance at the bottom end and thank god someone like ed burnley didn’t worry about the win but .put his car sideways got out run over and got his fellow driver out of the car. To Me these are the real racers of our day and many people don’t understand the dangers of these cars nor what it takes to drive them and all the hard work it takes to put them at well over 200mph. Sorry to hear about this loss and I’m sure many racers are thinking about you and praying for you today not a doubt the miller family is because they are just those kinds of people. I’m sure when I say every racer thanks royce and his family for a great and safe race track always.

56. portia on June 2, 2014 at 7:36 pm

We started off as kids in high school and ended up grown together, you will always have a special place in my heart, we had a beautiful daughter together, you are a good man and father, i will miss knowing you are not here, RIP FISH MAN