UPDATE: Name Released in Fatal Motorcycle Accident

August 30, 2014

fatal crashUPDATE 10:45 p.m – Saturday, August 30, 2014 at 6:20 p.m., deputies from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area of Route 5 and Thompson’s Corner Road near the 84 Lumber in Mechanicsville, for a motor vehicle collision involving a motorcycle and a dump truck.

The driver of the motorcycle, identified as Jose Luis Fuentes, 30, of Washington DC, was dead on the scene.

Members of the SMCSO Accident Reconstruction Team responded to the scene and assumed the investigation.

Preliminary investigation indicates the driver of the motorcycle, 2014 Harley Davidson, was traveling north on Route 5 when it struck the rear of a 1996 Ford dump truck being operated by Robert Dade of Mechanicsville. The dump truck had just turned left from Thompsons Corner Road onto Route 5 when the collision occurred. The driver of the motorcycle was ejected. No other injuries were reported.

At this time, speed and alcohol appear to be contributing factors on the part of the driver of the motorcycle. Failure to yield right of way appears to be a contributing factor on the part of the driver of the dump truck. A commercial motor carrier inspection was completed on the dump truck.

Additional details will be released as they are developed.

UPDATE 7:05 p.m. – Northbound Three Notch Road at Thompsons Corner Road will be shut down for a fatal collision for several hours.

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 at approximately 6:15 p.m., police and rescue personnel responded the scene of a motor vehicle accident involving a dump truck and a motorcycle.

The accident is reported to in the north bound lanes of Three Notch Road in the area of Thompsons Corner Road in Mechanicsville.

Police on the scene confirmed the motorcyclist deceased.

No word yet on the identity of the cyclist or the cause of the crash.

More details to follow as they become available.

31 Responses to UPDATE: Name Released in Fatal Motorcycle Accident

1. Anonymous on August 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I watched this man speed by me minutes before I saw the crash and pieces of his motorcycle.. He must have been going at least 90 when he passed my car.

• Anonymous on August 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Bad reading on his part you think?

• Parker1962 on August 30, 2014 at 10:41 pm

All of them do!..they wanna go out here and do 100-120 mph and fly in between Cars i have NO SYMPATHY for any of them!!!! They have no reguards for their own life and the life of others!

• Grady White on August 31, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Failure to yield must be a foreign concept to you. That could very well have been you parking your judgmental arse into the back of that dump truck. And a handful of squids on bikes do not in any way represent most motorcyclists…

• Parker1962 on September 1, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Yeah so drinking and driving doesn’t serve any purpose to you as well idoit!

• cheywolf on September 2, 2014 at 8:22 am

Maybe if he wasn’t drunk and going 100mph he would have been able to maneuver his bike to avoid an accident. People pull out all the time and most times accidents are avoided. He was drunk. He should not be out riding. How many times have you driven and all of a sudden some dumbazz pulls out in front of you? I am sure numerous and I am also sure you avoided them by being sober and not driving 100 mph.

I feel bad for the guy who lost his life he made a bad choice that day. I feel bad for the dump truck driver knowing he will probably live with the guilt for the rest of his life.

• Parker1962 on August 30, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Doing wheelies at 75 mph going in between cars Ridiculous!!!!

• Ericas on August 31, 2014 at 8:02 am

Ah, that explains. I do lane split all the times but always in cautious manner. I show some respect for other drivers and I ask them to show respect for everyone by doing this: “Slower Traffic Stay Right” please. It is not just for your safety but for everyone. So everyone knows that people only pass on left lane instead all over on the road just because of stupid one left lane hog who this left lane is all for himself.

• Grady White on August 31, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I highly doubt the Harley guy involved in this crash ever got the front wheel of that load off the ground, lose the stereotypes…

• Henry Corbin on August 31, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Think he was talking about in general dumb dumb!!!

2. information on August 30, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Please pass the information on to the police.

• Parker1962 on August 31, 2014 at 5:13 am

Really?..How is this sad? You wanna drink and drive and be foolish on a motorcycle you get what you deserve!. He made his bed now lay it! He had no reguard for your life nor anyone else’s life when he choose to drink and take that bike to Excess amount of speed!!!

• YourMomZaenus on August 31, 2014 at 7:56 am

Regard

• Anonymous on August 31, 2014 at 2:25 pm

You have no right to say what someone deserves and what someone doesn’t. Your comment wasn’t necessary!

• cheywolf on September 2, 2014 at 8:26 am

Its sad because a life is lost. Life is precious someone lost a son, nephew a friend. He made a really bad choice. Its called compassion apparently the human race has none or very little.

• John on September 5, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Jose Luis Fuentes was my cousin. He was also a loving son, a protective brother, and a loyal friend. He was selfless towards others and was one of the kindest people I’ve had the chance to meet. Our family is experiencing a tremendous amount of pain having lost him. Regardless of the mistakes he may have made, he was a human with emotions, and a life, and a family who loves him. What if that was your son, brother, cousin, friend? I dare you to take a hard look at your family and friends and say they are perfect. We are thankful no one else was hurt during this tragic accident but nevertheless we have lost one of our own. Rather than having sympathy, you feel you are holier than thou and attempt to shame a person who has tragically lost his life. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Rose on September 6, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Well said I knew him as well and its amazing how Ignorant people can
            be. He will be missed RIP Jose Luis

3. Anonymous on August 30, 2014 at 10:04 pm

this is so sad

4. Ryan on August 31, 2014 at 8:19 am
  5. gman on August 31, 2014 at 8:21 am

A man losing his life is sad. Let’s put the shoe on the other foot and talk about the wreck less drivers who have no regard for motorcyclists and I am referring the safe ones l drivers just switch lanes and not even look or on the cell phone…it’s not all motorcycles.

• Ryan on August 31, 2014 at 10:40 pm

What are you trying to say? I cannot understand the last bit. Punctuation? You’re right, it’s not all motorcyclists but I’m tired of our government telling us to “Look Twice” for motorcyclists when they are doing 80+ m.p.h. and weaving through traffic with little regard to everyone else on the road.

6. Anonymous on August 31, 2014 at 8:41 am

Another one off the road! Darwin Award .

• Joe on September 2, 2014 at 7:23 am

Concur. You drink, you drive, you lose. What a dumb a**!

• Rose on September 6, 2014 at 1:29 pm

He was family and a good friend! No matter what
        no one should be insulted especially when he lost his life. Shame on you have respect.

7. Rick on August 31, 2014 at 9:30 am

What idiots on here commenting stereotypeing everyone that rides motorcycles … Yet I bet they would cry file suite ect.. if the same were done to them …

8. KidddfromPG on August 31, 2014 at 10:36 am

I had to share my story.I saw this coming, i was on my way to dc just driving and who comes passing me??? Mr.Fuentes on that Harley swerving through cars to get passed and swerving all nonchalantly once he had the open road to himself and I said to myself that man is going to get into an accident.he then got out of my view, but once I got to the area of the accident,man all i can say is be careful on those bikes man.there was an older black gentleman who got out to help but man by then you already knew.i could not and would not go into detail because it is a sad story.

• Anonymous on September 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Was he riding with anyone else or was he alone?

9. Anonymous on September 2, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Parker, i personally knew the motorcycle driver. He’s not a heavy drinker by any means. At most he’d have a beer or two, but that’s it. Wasn’t an agressive driver either, so go #### yourself

10. Anonymous on September 2, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Ayo, parker1962, where you stay at? Don’t let me catch you

• Anonymous on September 3, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I saw him at your Momma’s house.

11. tonyscott on September 3, 2014 at 10:21 am

Family, I personally knew this kid. Worked with him for 5 years.(supervised him) Like family. Lets all stop with the negative comments and think that this could have been someone you knew or your family. His mom and dad and family are greiving now. Despite the cause of death, a young life is gone toO soon. Please lets all take a second and pray for peace for the Fuentes family. thank you family for understanding.