MFRI Instructor Critically Injured During Drill

April 2, 2012

On April 1 at 10 a.m., CCSO officers responded to the parking lot of a building in the 5900 block of Radio Station Road in La Plata for the report of an accident involving a fire department training SUV and a Maryland Fire Rescue Institute training instructor.

A preliminary investigation showed the driver of the SUV, 22, was practicing maneuvers on a cone course when he lost control of the vehicle and struck the MFRI instructor.

The victim, Dominic Troiano, 59, was initially treated on the scene and then flown to Baltimore Shock Trauma where he was admitted with critical injuries.

The Traffic Operations Unit is investigating.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to MFRI Instructor Critically Injured During Drill

1. Sharon Fossett on April 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Prayers are with Mr. Troiano & his family along with the trainee. What a tragedy.

• Chuck Shaw on April 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm

To the Troiano family, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you at this tragic time, may our blessed lord watch over Dominic and give a speedy recovery. I’m retired Captain Shaw from NDW Central 2003.

2. Thomas on April 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm

There is a part of that test that is extremely dangerous, and it is always the last part of the test, aanyone that has taken the drivers course knows what I am talking about. I have thought for a long time that it was a matter of time before someone was going to get hurt. Thoughts and prayers for the Trojano family.

3. Anonymous on April 2, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Like Billie Jo Armstrong from Green Day once said…….”Is the cop or am I the one that’s really dangerous”.
    Now I know that this isn’t a police officer this time…..but the training was done because it is mandated by the law.

So……. Law = Police Officer
    Law = Mandatory Training
    Law = This incident
    Get it?

• Anonymous on April 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Actually, they said MFRI, which means it was fire/rescue, not police…

• Anonymous on April 3, 2012 at 6:47 am

This comment about the ‘Law’ is totally irrelevant. Even the title of the article says “Instructor injured during drill”. This was not a driving class mandated by a court. It’s an extra class that fire and rescue personnel take to be able to drive an emergency vehicle. Prayers and a speedy recovery to Mr. Troiano. A big thank you also to his sons for posting updates.

4. Tommy on April 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I am his son and he is slowly recovering. Please correct his name as it is Troiano. Not sure where the j came from but please correct it. Thank you and thank you for the thoughts and prayers.

• Joey on April 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Tommy, thank you for posting the correction. This is another one of Dominick’s sons and I too would like to thank everyone for keeping dad and the family in everyones prayers.

5. Wayne BIG DOG on April 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

Tell your Dad that he is in my thouhts and prayers. I work with your dad at Pax River he is a great leader and friend tell him get well soon.

6. Tommy on April 3, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Thank you all for the comments. He is doing better today. He is off of the breathing tube and was able to sit up today (with lots of help). He is a very strong man and we are hoping for a speedy recovery. He has taught so many people and is an amazing leader so it is great to see everyone rally for him. Thank you.

• Eriks Gabliks on April 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm

On behalf of the North American Fire Training Directors (NAFTD) we were very sad to hear about your dad’s injury. Your dad, and your family, are in our thoughts and prayers.

Eriks Gabliks
      President
      NAFTD

7. Brian Yount on April 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm

My family has known Dominic for probably close to 30 years, my father Jeff worked with him at Nas Pax River for several years. He has personally taught me and my brother several MFRI classes. I wish him a speedy recovery and if anything is needed please don’t hesitate to ask. Does anyone know if he is allowed visitors yet? I know that several of us here at BDVFD would like to come up and see him if he’s up to it.

• Joey on April 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Brian,

This is Joey, Dominick’s oldest son and I remember your dad Jeff. Yes, he has had some visitors already. There are only two people allowed in the room at once. Take care and thank you for your kindness.

8. Anonymous on April 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

I was one of the students that day on and we took good care of him. And ill have to say that i never seem so much medical supplies on one location at once. But he was talking to us in the back of the ambo all the way to the trooper. And Dominick get well soon bud.

• Joey on April 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Anonymous,

Thank you all for taking such good care of our dad. We all are very appreciative. Dad continues to improve and has been downgraded and moved to a regular room. He still has a long road, but he is the strongest person I know and will beat this.

9. Rick Blotske on April 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Dominick, Renee and I put in a prayer request for you and your family through our Church here in New Mexico. Have been in touch with Paul and Julie to try and keep updated on your recovery. Knowing you, you will be back at em in no time. Hang in there.

10. jacquelin on April 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm

hey im jacquelin, one of his granddaughter and for all those people putting us in their prayers THANK YOU SO MUCH. it is very sad what has happened to him but he is making a speedy recovery and he should be out of rehab hopefully this weekend. my grandpa Dominick is a hero and a man of strong power and he will do what ever he has to in all his power to get back up on his feet and to go back to teaching.he is the familys superhero and he is a fighter.He is greatly missed and loved, SO HERES TO YOU GRANDPA WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!