Waldorf Named One of CNN’s Money Magazine’s Best Places to Live

August 21, 2012

CNN’s Money Magazine has included the city of Waldorf in Charles County on its list of the Top 100 Best Places to Live. According to Money Magazine, the list features “terrific, small cities that offer what American families care about most ¾strong job opportunities, great schools, low crime, quality health care, and plenty to do.”

Waldorf was ranked #20 out of 100 cities across the United States, being described as a “major retail spot in Southern Maryland” with a “welcoming vibe and safe streets.” The city is noted for being an appealing location for homeowners because of its proximity to Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, and for its low median home prices as compared to others cities in the region.

“Having extensive experience over the last 20 years working with communities in Waldorf, this is comes as a well-deserved accolade,” said Commissioner President Candice Quinn Kelly. “Waldorf is an example of smart growth, and this recognition should serve as an inspiration for the Board of Commissioners to manage our future growth so that we continue to move up this list.”

“Charles County has always been about promoting an excellent quality of life,” said Commissioner Ken Robinson (District 1). “As the northern part of the county [Waldorf] has evolved into a diverse bedroom community that very important quality remains and has now been nationally recognized.”

“Ranking among the very best places to live in the country is an honorable distinction, especially since Waldorf is one of only five Maryland cities selected. It’s a true testimony to the community’s efforts, and a remarkable achievement of which we are very proud,” said Commissioner Vice President Reuben B. Collins, II (District 3).

“So many communities in Charles County have a consistently high quality of life, no matter how we grow and change, and Waldorf is no exception. I’m pleased that Money Magazine has shined a national spotlight on Waldorf and all the wonderful things that it has to offer,” said Commissioner Bobby Rucci (District 4).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to Waldorf Named One of CNN’s Money Magazine’s Best Places to Live

1. Jennifer on August 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

This is got to be a joke, right?

• danny phillips on August 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm

THERE IS MORE CRIME,VIOLENCE HERE THEN EVER BEFORE…WALDORF WASNT TO BAD 15 YEARS AGO…I USED TO LEAVE MY HOUSE UNLOCKED…NOW I LOCK THE DOOR JUST TO GFO GET THE MAIL…PLACE SUCKS

2. Horse )*( on August 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

HAHAHahahahaha….man i haven’t laughed that hard in a long time, probably since Lex Park was named the “Dreamy city to live” right about the time that crack hooker got shot in the ars by that illegal mexican with a crossbow.PWAhahahahaha

• Just Sayin.... on August 22, 2012 at 1:01 pm

OMG!!! This just made my day!! LMAO

3. Anonymous85 on August 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Apparently no one from CNN Money has spent any time in Waldorf…

4. AP on August 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

this has got to be a joke! Low Crime rate?? Great Schools? This must have been based on zero facts or research! YIKES!

5. John on August 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

what a joke Waldorf are you kidding me what a crappy place

6. Gill on August 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I’m guessing they have never visited Waldorf ~!

7. Anonymous on August 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Seriously??? I wonder what year this was researched. Obviously the crime rate hasn’t been seen!

8. James on August 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm

does any one who lives nearby have input on these? I know waldorf and personally know of the crime, at least once a week I hear about some one being shot or robbed!

9. John on August 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm

if this is true the country is doomed

• Linda on August 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm

LOL! I soooo agree with you!

10. MARYLAND on August 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I sounds like a bunch of people are mad that Lexington Park wasnt on there list, which is also CRIME CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. LBM on August 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Are they sure they meant Waldorf, Maryland??? Obviously they have never spent a night or 2 here when they came up with this..

12. SmiB on August 21, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Charles County Crime Report
    Charles County Crime Report

The Charles County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the following incidents: BURGLARY: On Aug. 17 between 7 a.m. – 6:45 p.m., unknown suspect(s) broke into a house in the 2600 block of Rooks Head Place in Waldorf and stole a jar of coins. Officers processed the scene and recovered evidence. Officer P. Morgan, III is..

13. ak2k on August 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This is a joke i live there for 5 years and had my car stolen at least 5 times is two years i live in lexington park now and never had my car stole or have anybody attempted to rob me.southern md is a place where folks run to rob and steal and sell there drugs then run back to the city.

14. Sweetness on August 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I’d like to invite someone who wrote this article to park behind the mall theatres and take in a late show. See how much money you have left when you try to get back to your car!

• Me on August 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

The ‘DORF? As in, Waldorf, MD? 20 years ago, perhaps. What a mess now…

15. ProudKracker on August 21, 2012 at 6:50 pm

LOL!!! These Idiots need to go to the Mall at night and see how comfy they feel…It has become a Extension of Prince Georges and D.C. with all the homies & thugs!

16. teri on August 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm

You have got to be kidding me lived in waldorf last 22 years cant wait to get out here!

17. Anonymous on August 21, 2012 at 7:53 pm

CNN news flash : Obama policies have eliminated unemployment!! See CNN Money for details.

18. Susan Walker on August 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

My house was worth $300,000.00 six years ago. The property tax was right around $2,000.00. Now the same house is valued at $200,000.00 and the taxes are $3,000.00. Property value went DOWN $100,000.00. Tax went UP $1,000.00. This does NOT cover trash pick up, water or sewer. Those commissioners will be voted out this November. I can’t afford to stay in my own home, and I am not alone in this. I have lived in Waldorf since 1985.

19. aFTeRLiFe on August 22, 2012 at 12:19 am

Wow…
    If this was April I would have thought this would be a April fools joke… But I don’t think that’s the case.

I wonder what person from this CNN Money Magazine lives in Waldorf just to get their own town some publicity. I want the stuff these Magazine writers were smoking that day.

20. Lauri on August 22, 2012 at 7:44 am

Really?????? I live on the wese side of Waldorf ans not right in the heart of but it’s scary to think Waldorf made the list. I have lived here for over 20 years and have seen Waldorf go down hill every year. The Mall needs another huge makeover (think Annapolis Mall)no good stores except for the addition of H&M and that is if you want to take your life in your hands even going to the Mall!!! My husband and I went in the evening a few weeks ago (against my better judgement) and there were more kids hanging around than ever…thought that was supposed to be stopping. I’m not sure how many more McDonalds Waldorf needs but they have plenty…what about some good new restaurants….cheesecake factory, pf changs, etc….and grocery stores….harris teeter, wegmans, etc. I could go on and on.

21. sharon on August 22, 2012 at 8:58 am

All the negative stuff is in comparison to THOUSANDS OF PLACES TO LIVE and I have lived all over the United States. Crime happens everywhere, real estate is in turmol everywhere. So, I am glad to live in Waldorf, Maryland, for all the reasons CNN mentioned and more. But as they say, before they leap, “the grass is greener on the other side.”

22. LJH on August 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

I would agree that Waldorf is one of the Ten Least Friendly Places or Ten Most Trash Littered Places! Disgraceful! The armpit of Maryland!

23. Anonymous on August 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm

OMG – this has to be a Joke! Low Crime Rate!!! Who is CNN BSing…

24. Stuck in Waldorf on August 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

OMG, you have got to be kidding. I am a military transplant and I HATE living in Waldorf. I am only hoping this article will make my house a big hit on the real estate market so I can get the heck out of Dodge!!