UPDATE: Man Struck in Great Mills Hit and Run Dies

November 21, 2012

UPDATE 11/21/12: Southern Maryland News Net was contacted by the family of the The 65 year old, male pedestrian that was struck ten days ago. The victim passed away on November 20, around 10:30pm.

The Victim was struck by a 21 year old male driving a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 pick up truck on November 11, 2012 at approximately 9:30 am.

At this time SNEWSNET is withholding the name of both the suspect and victim until charges are filed.

UPDATE 11/12/12: On November 11, 2012 the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to Harrison Street in Great Mills, Maryland and began an investigation into hit and run motor vehicle collision involving a pedestrian.

On November 12, 2012 the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, Traffic Safety Unit, identified the striking vehicle, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 pick up truck and operator, 21 year old male from Lexington Park, Maryland.

The 65 year old, male pedestrian of Great Mills, Maryland was flown by Maryland State Police helicopter to Baltimore Shock Trauma where he is listed in critical condition.

The Sheriff’s Office is consulting with the St. Mary’s County States Attorney’s Office, charges are pending.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office wishes to thank the public for their prompt response and assistance in this investigation.

11/11/2012: On November 11, 2012 at approximately 9:30 am, units from the Lexington Park Rescue Squad, Bay District Fire Department, the St. Mary’s County Advanced Life Support Unit, and the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Stallman Subdivision on Harrison Street in Great Mills, for the report of a pedestrian struck.

Patrol units from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office determined that sufficient evidence existed that a pedestrian had been struck by a motor vehicle. Members of the Sheriff’s Office Crash Reconstruction Team were called to the scene and assumed the investigation.

Due to the seriousness of the injuries, a medevac was requested and the patient was taken to Chancellors Run Regional Park for a landing zone. Maryland State Police Trooper 6 out of Easton airport in Talbot County transported the adult male patient to an area trauma center.

More information to follow as it becomes available.

11/11/2012 at 6:30 pm.: Although flyers were being handed out throughout the Stallman Subdivision, no information has been released to the press by the St. Mary’s County Sheriffs Office at this time.

CLICK HERE to see the flyer being distributed throughout the Stallman Subdivision.

CLICK HERE to hear some of the police audio from this incident.

CLICK HERE to hear some of the Fire/Rescue audio from this incident.
[slide]

22 Responses to UPDATE: Man Struck in Great Mills Hit and Run Dies

1. Anonymous on November 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm

He is a 66 year old Vietnam vet hit only a couple hundred feet from his home and left there critically injured. It’s sickening! Happy Veterans Day to all the brave men like this one.

2. Just me on November 12, 2012 at 8:24 am

Are you kidding me? My hope is they find the driver and fry their a– . Sad sad day. Prayers for this man.

3. Anonymous on November 12, 2012 at 9:16 am

I hope that whoever did that to the war veteran is reading this and dies of guilt.

• k on November 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

A war veteran on veterans day left to die in a ditch, disgusting! who ever did this is the definition of scum. Accidents happen, leaving the scene is a choice a horrible disgusting choice. It’s terrible to know there are people with this little human decency.

4. Anonymous on November 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Please everyone share this on facebook, twitter, and email. Get this article circulated The more people it reaches the better the chances of finding someone who knows something are. This is my family member, he is 66 years old and a Vietnam Vet. He remains in stable but critical condition after 3 surgeries and is in a coma.

5. Anonymous on November 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

I hope who ever is responsible turns themselves in. Leaving the scene is wrong, never making it right is worse. The driver can provide critical details that can help save this man’s life. Speed of the car, direction of the Pedestrian, how far did the Pedestrian launch, what side of the body took the impact, the height of the vehicle, are all questions which answers can help treat the injuries and look for further injuries. I’m sure there is much more information that would be useful. The consequences of an accident are not as bad as those from a hit and run, as the consequences from from a hit and run are not going to be as severe as the consequences of vehicular man slaughter. Do what’s right turn yourself in. Prayers to the family, friends, and the members of a shaken community.

6. Gimmeabreak on November 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Why isn’t the 21 year old named?

• Anonymous on November 13, 2012 at 8:20 am

In the USA everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

• Anonymous on November 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm

yes, but their names are still listed when they are charged with a crime.

7. Anonymous on November 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm

So glad they found this person! Thank you to the sheriff’s department and anyone that provided information on locating this person.

8. Anon on November 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

Glad they found this slimeball! To leave a 66 year old Vietnam Vet to die in a ditch on Veterans Day should have their a** FRIED! That is awful! Why not releaase his name? Everyone should know who this horrible excuse for human life is for doing this! God bless this man for his service and I pray for his quick recovery and hopefully this 21 year old whose name SHOULD BE RELEASED gets what is coming….karma is a b**ch buddy!

9. Peggy thompson on November 21, 2012 at 8:50 am

The victim, my cousin, was taken off life support last night. Sad end to a tragic story… I’d like to know the name of the hit and run driver too. Every other story has names published…

• Anonymous on November 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I agree, the name should be released. In any other story regardless names are listed. Even before they go to court, are convicted, or anything else! That is ridiculous. Who are they trying to protect. Prayers to the family involved.

10. Anonymous on November 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

This is so so sad. My sympathies go out to the family in this difficult time. What a shame to lose such a good man in a world full of hate. I hope that justice is served quickly. A life for a life.

11. Anonymous on November 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

My condolences to the family and friends of the victim. My prayers are with you for your loss.

Now, file felony manslaughter and hit-and-run charges against the driver.

• Anonymous on November 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hopefully charges will be filed ASAP. But, I have to wonder what kind of time will he serve if found guilty. A month in jail maybe? Just thinking back to the sentece Bobby Rice got just a few days ago after killing 2 beautiful women. A whopping 5 years in jail. There is no justice in this world. My sympathy and prayers to the family of the victim.

12. Shannon on November 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

This is truly heartbreaking news! The 21 yr old should be ashamed of hisself to leave the accident scene and pretty well left this man there to die! There is no excuse for this! This is a neighborhood, how fast were you going ? Now you will face manslaughter charges! You should feel guilty and all the above! ( I know I wouldnt be able to live with myself ) Maybe if you would of stayed and did the right thing and called for help right away this man maybe could of lived!!!! Thoughts and prayers to the family!

13. Anonymous on November 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I was taking my children for a walk on their bikes down the road that this happened the night before the accident. It was almost dark and this man stopped me and said, “Make sure you walk on the right side of the road so you can see oncoming traffic because people down here do not pay attention and I would hate to see something bad happen to you or your children, be very careful and have a good evening.” The next day I find out that the man that warned me and asked me to be careful about drivers in the neighborhood was the man that was hit and left. He went out of his way to talk to the kids and I to make sure we were safe and then this happens. I hope that the 21 year old driver gets what he deserves. RIP to this caring man!!

14. Anon on November 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

My deepest sympathies to this family during this hard time.

15. just sad on November 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm

How do people hit someone & leave them to die?! We hear about this far too often. So heartless.

16. Sharon on December 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I don’t understand why the name of the person who took a VETERANS life is not being named. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this gentleman. I pray that justice is served. He is a 21 year old, and at any other time names are put out from various crimes. He is of age so there is no reason they can’t post his name.

17. Anonymous on December 6, 2012 at 8:01 am