UPDATE: Serious Motorcycle Accident Involving a Farm Vehicle in Callaway

July 6, 2015

Document Name 203UPDATE – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Official Statement on 7/6/15: 7-3-15 Motor Vehicle Crash (fly out) – Deputies responded to Point Lookout Road in the area of Camp Cosoma Road for a vehicle crash involving a motorcycle.

Preliminary investigation revealed the male driver and sole occupant of a motorcycle was northbound on Point Lookout Road when he attempted to pass a farm tractor on the left. The motorcycle struck a front wheel on the tractor ejecting the driver of the motorcycle. The motorcycle then caught on fire.

The driver was flown to Washington Hospital Center with burns on both legs and other injuries.

____

7/3/15: On July, 3 2015, at approximately 9:35 a.m., police, fire, and rescue personnel responded to 21549 Point Lookout Road, in Callaway for the report of a serious accident involving a motorcycle and a farm tractor.

Witnesses report a Spra-Coupe 7660 Sprayer was turning into a private driveway on Point Lookout Road when it was struck by the the motorcycle.

After striking the tractor, the motorcycle caught fire and the operator was trapped under the cycle. Citizens on the scene were able to pull the male operator from under the cycle and move him to safety.

An off-duty firefighter was injured while rescuing the operator of the motorcycle.

Sheriff’s Office Collision Reconstruction Unit members responded to the scene and assumed the investigation.

Document Name 205Document Name 199 Document Name 198 Document Name 197 Document Name 196

Document Name 194 Document Name 193 Document Name 192 Document Name 191 Document Name 190 Document Name 188 Document Name 186 Document Name 185 Document Name 206Document Name 204 Document Name 202 Document Name 200Document Name 201

60 Responses to UPDATE: Serious Motorcycle Accident Involving a Farm Vehicle in Callaway

1. Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 12:49 pm

My prayers go out to the cyclist. It shows that the motorcyclists need to be aware of their surroundings,as w
    ell drivers need to be cognizant of them too.

BE SAFE AND SHARE THE ROAD!

2. Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 1:34 pm

How you can’t see a huge tractor like that and avoid it is beyond me. Sounds like the guy had no business riding a motorcycle.

• Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Not knowing the facts how could you even reply. Maybe the person driving the tractor didn’t see the motorcyclest and turned. Prayers to all. It’s not always the bikers fault.

• Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 3:57 pm

No matter what farm vehicles always have the right of way

• Brett Williams on July 3, 2015 at 6:18 pm

even if the farm vehicle made a left right in front of the bike? No matter what, farm vehicles have right of way…so if a farm tractor plows sideways across the interstate…”right of way”??

• Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Use your head for something besides a hat rack Brett. If the tractor breaks a traffic law then they obviously don’t have the right of way.

• Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 7:55 pm

You mean the facts in the article? Those facts? It sounds like it’s the motorcycle riders fault 100%.

• Christina on July 6, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Agreed. Share the road. In DC the “share the road” signs have pictures of bicycles on them…in the country, the same signs have pics of tractors on them. They also need to be able to utilize the road. With that said, I hope the biker is okay.

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Yeah, if you can’t see and avoid a tractor that large, you probably lack the basic skills needed to handle a motorcycle. They’re fun to ride but not for everyone.

3. Mike Gossman on July 3, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Quite possibly the farm equipment turned in to the path of the oncoming motorcycle? Maybe the farm equipment operator did not see the motorcycle and failed to yield? Just a possibility.

4. Feral on July 3, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I ride a crazy VROD with loud straight pipe. This motorcyclist failed fo be a good motorcyclist because he didn’t put him in a safe distance between everyone. A bike could stop a lot faster than farm tractor so I still blame at motorcyclists. He could dodge the farm tractor easily. Maybe he was being a jackass on that ride and got hurt from it. Know your motorcycling skills, motorcycle’s limits, and respect it so you may live. Ride fast and live hard people

• Anonymous on July 3, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Such ignorant comments on here. How about saying a prayer
      That he recovers and stop blaming.

• Anonymous on July 4, 2015 at 1:59 pm

The truth is ignorant? How about learning from mistakes instead of relying on useless prayers that don’t do anything? You’d rather do nothing except pray but call others ignorant, oh the irony.

• John on July 6, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Prayers are worthless, A good Doctor is what he needs

• Anonymous on July 9, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Ditto

5. Anonymous on July 4, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Anonymous comments are like a sphincter – useful to the owner – not helpful to society. If you have convictions sign them so we can revel in your wisdom and aspire to be perfect like u……

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 9:50 am

‘Anonymous’,

Why did you post if our comments (yours included) don’t mean anything to others? SMH

6. cameron layton on July 4, 2015 at 7:26 pm

get your facts straight before commenting. whoever you are ( probably some fat jerk who comments on articles for fun )
    pray for this man. don’t degrade his name.

7. cameron layton on July 4, 2015 at 7:31 pm

My name is Cameron Kohle Layton. this is my uncle. he is an experienced driver. he did everything he could to avoid this tragedy. please keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
    for those of you that have my family in your prayers, thank you and god bless.

• sd on July 6, 2015 at 7:12 am

Cameron – How is your uncle doing? I was one of the 2 people who helped pull Jeff out of the fire and use our clothing to try and putout the fire on his legs.

• GETAJOB on July 7, 2015 at 7:32 am

Well Cameron, now with the update stating that your Uncle tried to pass the farm equipment on the left and hit the front wheel, that doesn’t say much about his experience in driving. Sounds like he attempted to pass and another vehicle was coming in the opposite direction and he had to cut his passing short causing him to hit the front wheel of the equipment. People are always in such a damn hurry these days, and then stuff like this happens and then you want to get all out of sorts when others make comments. I do hope your Uncle is and will be ok, and hope this is a lesson learned.

8. Ray on July 4, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I was 1 of the first people there. I turned out of my street off of campus on the road

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 9:52 am

Good for you, Ray…what did you do?

9. Are you on July 4, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Are you Cameron Layton from Texas?

10. Ray on July 4, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I was 1 of the first people there. I turned out of my street off of camp cosoma road and saw a huge fire. Only to witness 2 people bravely go into the fire to pull the cyclist out. I believe the tractor was at fault and turned into the cyclist path. I base that from the fact that the cyclist never ejected from the bike. As if he slammed into a wall. The man was pulled and on fire. 2/3 people put the fire out with there clothing. I left at that point. I’m an experienced rider myself and when someone pulls directly into your path, you don’t have a chance to react. I looked for a skid mark from the bike and didn’t see one. That tells me the tractor driver was at fault! The comment about tractors always have the right of way is ignorant! Tractors on the public roads are a safety hazard. Causing traffic back up, impatient drivers cutting into the oncoming lanes to go around and at the same time causing near head on collisions. Cars should have right of way and the slower tractors should yield. I hope the man on the bike survives!! Please update me on his status at Rayaap@aol.com

• Anonymous on July 5, 2015 at 9:26 am

I drive cars, does that give me the remarkable ability to look at an accident scene and tell what happened due to the lack of a skid mark? Ray called it folks, the tractor was at fault. Let’s all thank Ray for his awesome detective skills.

• Jamie on July 5, 2015 at 10:20 am

Ray,

If farm tractors are a safety hazard on the road, how would you suggest farmer’s get their equipment to the fields? People need to be patient and respect the tractors. This was a rural farming community before the base grew to what it is today. Farmer’s are just trying to make their living like everyone else. You nailed it right on the head… “impatient drivers cutting into the oncoming lanes to go around” Maybe if people practiced patience there would be less “near head on collisions”. Just so you know, the motorcycle was behind the sprayer and decided to pass it without realizing the sprayer was about to make a left hand turn. The motorcycle struck the front tire of the sprayer. It is awful that this happened and I pray for the motorcycle driver, but don’t be so quick to put blame on the farm vehicle.

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 9:56 am

Well stated…

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 11:40 am

Amen brother!!!

• Feral on July 5, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Alright he could position himself near to center of road for a better view down the road. Anyway I hope he heals and get back on motorcycle soon as he could.

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 9:54 am

So the rider was attempting to pass as the tractor made a left turn? Hmm…

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 11:38 am

Why don’t you let an experienced law enforcement officer do the investigating.

11. cameron layton on July 5, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Ray your right bud.
    And yes when i was 16 i was involved in a car wreck that ended with my best friend dead. I had to watch my beat friend die.
    And all the bs people like YOU with negative comments. People who speculated about thinks witgout having the facts. Only two pwople know what happend that night. And one is dead.
    Im a successful man now. What are you? Mr anonymous.
    Ray had the balls to step up and save a mans life . All you can do is try to bring people down with there past lives. I have come to peace with my past. You my friend are a peace of work.
    You would drive away from someone in need.
    ray, myself, and others look fear in the eye and take it head on.
    Jeff will get through this, thanks to the people who have helped him. God bless yall

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 10:02 am

Uhh, not sure if you are praising or condemning Ray. You did read his post that said he watched people pull the rider to safety, then left the scene, right?

• knowing on July 7, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Drivers drove pass when this happened, rubbernecking and drove on. One one the cars behind the moto worked with the fire department as a volunteer and suffered burns helping. But others drove off. The lady that lived where this happened even reported this. Those that just talk or normally the ones that walk away.

12. cameron layton on July 5, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Ahows your true colors when someone tries to bring someone else down witg there past.
    What would i give to see you in person one day.
    Maybe youll find happiness oneday. Untell then, youll be the guy commenting on others tragedies.

• Umm OK? on July 6, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Did you eat allot of paint chips as a child?

• Grammar Nazi on July 7, 2015 at 8:56 am

Cameron,

I’m just guessing here but were you educated in St. Mary’s County schools?

• Kelly on July 7, 2015 at 1:35 pm

that is funny…but really not the place for a comment like this. ???

• cameron layton on July 8, 2015 at 7:32 pm

No I was not born or raised in Maryland. My education came from the state of Texas. Now if you’re referring to my grammar it really isn’t none of your f****** business, but I’m Dyslexic. My simple question to you is look at your life what are you doing for a living are you satisfied? Have a great life and a great family unfortunately all you can do is comment and disrespect people through words on the news media website. You know next to nothing about my life. You probably have absolutely nothing to show for your lifes worth. so I won’t bash you I will not try to downgrade your miniscule life. Im 24 and will his 6 figures before im 25.
        I dropped out of high school . Got a g.e.d and worked my butt off from the time i was 16.
        So what were you trying to reference? Were you trying to downgrade my intelligence level? You have no angle here. You might as well just keep on collecting your unemployment check and post on every news article besides this one

13. Alissa on July 6, 2015 at 11:32 am

Leave your hurtful comments to yourself..a man is fighting for his life. Praying for the victim, family and all those involved in this tragic accident.

14. Farmboy on July 6, 2015 at 11:48 am

Y’all best stop complaining about farm vehicles. Next thing you know someone will figure it’s not a good idea to have them on the road. If there is none on the road moving from field to field then the crops go to about a third. So, if you like eating, shut up………..

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Farmboy keepin it real up in here.

15. Jason Fisher on July 6, 2015 at 1:30 pm

My thoughts and prayers to him. This is my Uncle and the pain he is going through and the suffering of his family. I was out there last week to see our grandma that is 103 and went to spent a few hours out in Piney Point and those roads are dangerous. Not like here in Texas. Again this is a terrible accident and the family needs the support and prayers.

• Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Huh?! It’s a two lane road…with shoulders wide enough for an additional two lanes!

• Jason on July 7, 2015 at 7:22 pm

what is Huh? Seems that you might might be disturbed or ignorant. Hard for me to believe you can not understand.

16. Farmboy on July 6, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I reckon the update posted today from the sheriff will put an end to the conversation as to who was at fault….. Prayers to everyone involved. And to the jerk above who thinks prayers don’t work, well they don’t for folks like you… But I will pray for ya anyway.

• Anonymous on July 7, 2015 at 7:50 am

Keep on prayin then farmboy, while the rest of us actually get off our butts and make things happen. Prayers are the ultimate way of thinking you’re helping without actually doing anything to help. I’ll be awaiting your peer reviewed thesis on how prayers actually help.

• Farmboy on July 7, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Let me tell you something dips%@t. I’ve been off my ass working hard for 56 years so dips&%t’s like you can enjoy putting food in your mouth. All the while still taking time to stop any pray. People like you make me sick to my stomach but you know what? It’s my faith that will let me continue doing what I do. And it’s my faith that would have you sit at my table if you were hungry. I will have you know I have been a Vol Fire Fighter and have spent many, many hours giving to the community. So get off my back dips%#t. DON”T THINK I WILL EVER BACK DOWN FROM YOU. So kiss my Farmboy A$$ Mr./Ms. Anonymous.

• Anonymous on July 7, 2015 at 5:23 pm

You want a medal because you’ve worked? Join the club. Who said you couldn’t practice your religion? You’re problem is you want to cram it down people’s throats. Not gonna happen, not on my watch. Now go pray to your imaginary friend in the sky. The rest of us have long since outgrown fairy tales.

• Farmboy on July 7, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Sure would love to meet you face to face. Think we could have a real nice conversation. Maybe I could read you a fairy tail.

• Anonymous on July 8, 2015 at 1:34 pm

It’s fairy tale Farmahand. Name the time and place, I’ll be there.

• Kelly on July 7, 2015 at 1:37 pm

God sees all. No need to defend Him.

• Anonymous on July 7, 2015 at 5:24 pm

If God sees all I guess he won’t be too happy with you the Kelly. You filthy sinner.

17. Anonymous on July 6, 2015 at 9:46 pm

I can’t believe I live around some of these ignorant f*cks. Southern Maryland used to be a lot better. It wasn’t filed with a bunch of know it all, inconsiderate jerks. Everyone always has to over think every situation and pick it apart. It was an accident. I hope he makes a full recovery. My thoughts are with him and his family.

• Anonymous on July 7, 2015 at 11:25 am

So your first step is to insult everyone, then complain that people are inconsiderate jerks. Pot, meet kettle.