Charges Pending in Four Vehicle Accident on Thomas Johnson Bridge

September 30, 2015

SAM_0225On Monday, September 28,2015, at approximately 7:55 am, Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Deputies, fire and EMS personnel from the Solomons Volunteer Fire Department responded to a motor vehicle collision on the Thomas Johnson Bridge.

The collision was reported serious with one subject trapped.

Upon arrival CCSO units observed four vehicles which had been involved in a collision with each other and came to rest in the South Bound lane.

• The at fault vehicle was a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer, the vehicle was operated by Demetrick Nathrio Maddox.
  • The second vehicle was a 2015 Toyota SUV, operated by Michael Larry Williamson.
  • The third vehicle was a 2004 Honda passenger car, operated by Jennifer Lynn Dowell.
  • The fourth vehicle which had minimal damage was a 2014 Toyota SUV, operated by Jessica Lee Staelens.

Investigation and interviews of several witnesses determined that the 2004 Chevrolet Trail Blazer, operated by Maddox was traveling north on the TJ Bridge at a constant speed. For unknown reasons, Maddox crossed the solid yellow center line into the south bound lane of travel. Maddox first side swiped the 2014 Toytota SUV, ripping the driver side mirror from the vehicle. Maddox then continued into the south bound lane and struck the 2015 Toyota SUV in a head on type collision. The head on collision caused the 2015 Toyota SUV to be pushed backwards and on top of the vehicle directly behind it (2004 Honda passenger car).

All patients were treated by medical staff and released on scene after signing refusal forms, with the exception of Maddox, who was transferred to St. Marys Medstar to be further evaluated.

Charges are pending against the at fault driver.

SAM_0224

SAM_0225

20 Responses to Charges Pending in Four Vehicle Accident on Thomas Johnson Bridge

1. Christina on September 30, 2015 at 2:01 pm

So what would the possible charges be?

• T. Ferguson on September 30, 2015 at 11:00 pm

well since you asked (from the MD Judiciary website):

RECKLESS DRIVING VEHICLE IN WANTON AND WILLFUL DISREGARD FOR SAFETY OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY, NEGLIGENT DRIVING VEHICLE IN CARELESS AND IMPRUDENT MANNER ENDANGERING PROPERTY, LIFE AND PERSON, DRIVER FAILURE TO OBEY PROPERLY PLACED TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICE INSTRUCTIONS, FAILURE TO DRIVE VEHICLE ON RIGHT HALF OF ROADWAY WHEN REQUIRED, PERSON DRIVING MOTOR VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY OR PUBLIC USE PROPERTY ON REVOKED OUT-OF-STATE LICENSE, PERSON DRIVING MOTOR VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY OR PUBLIC USE PROPERTY ON SUSPENDED LICENSE AND PRIVILEGE

• Christina on October 1, 2015 at 8:00 am

Thank you.

2. Anonymous on September 30, 2015 at 2:06 pm

All we have at this point is speculation but barring a medical emergency or equipment failure the only other logical conclusion is distracted driving. If it does turn out to be driver distraction than I hope that text or phone conversation was worth almost killing multiple people.

3. Anonymous on September 30, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Greenberg and Betterman Baby!

4. Skeptic on September 30, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I bet there was a cell phone involved….

5. Fred50 on September 30, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Not tailgating. Did the front car suddenly go into reverse and surprise them? Maybe these are some of the many that stop behing you at lights a foot away so if they get rear ended they also get you and their front smashed. Makes you wonder if these drivers are smart enough to pour water out of a glass!

• James Hitchcock on October 1, 2015 at 11:49 am

Roads where damp and the Speed Limit is 45, realistic speed on the Bridge at this time is between 15-65 mph.

So I am betting that when the Silver Rav4 saw the Black Trailblazer clip the Rav4, he locked his wheels (so impact wasn’t as fast/hard)… Then the Silver Honda S2000 locked them up as well… While the Rav4 was nose-diving (rear end goes up), the S2000 was nose-diving as well slide under the rear of the Rav4 and pushed up and over top by the Black Trailblazer.

• Mike on October 1, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Possibly but since you all are asking, I will tell you what really happened. I was driving the Silver RAV4. What actually happened is that the traffic on the bridge was slow and as I approached the bridge I started to slow down. I was doing probably 30 mph with at least 4 car lengths between me and the person in front of me when the black SUV crossed the center line at high speed, smacked into the jersey wall on my side of the bridge (you can see the tire marks 3/4 of the way up the side) and then hit me head on. There is no evidence that he ever applied his brakes. I was most likely at a complete stop or very close to it. One of the witnesses told me that the car behind me had also come to a full stop behind me. She was not tail gaiting and did not drive her car under my car. The black SUV pushed me back into the S2000 behind me. That force pushed the S2000 into the jersey wall which forced the car sideways and my car continued backward from the force of the impact on top of the S2000’s hood. That is what happened and I am just glad to be alive.

• jen on October 4, 2015 at 12:59 am

I’m glad you are ok. That could have turned out much worse.

6. Tell You What on September 30, 2015 at 3:19 pm

This is the 2nd major traffic-related collision caused by Maddox in the same year that involved running off the road. Something is clearly wrong with that guy when it comes to proper driving. How on Earth does he maintain a license and a privilege to drive??? One day that irresponsible SOB will take someone’s life because the idiotic state of Maryland allows the most incompetent people to do whatever they want. Also, I guess it gives this stupid state an excuse to raise the already extremely expensive price to get a license and add a bunch of stupid new “rules and regulations” as if there isn’t enough already.

• Seriously?? on October 1, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Actually – acording to Judiciary Case search he had a suspended license that was also expired and from another state, so it’s not the “idiotic state of Maryland” and it’s not any state b/c it’s suspended. Judgemental much?

• Anonymous on October 2, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Only way to prevent it is to go door to door and confiscate cars from everyone.

7. Dirt on September 30, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I lost an hour of work because of this idiot. PAY ATTENTION

• Christina on October 1, 2015 at 8:58 am

Here’s 13 bucks. I make more than you anyways.

8. Anonymous on September 30, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Nobody notice the huge new black skid mark halfway up the jersey wall before crossing the center line??

9. Anonymous on September 30, 2015 at 11:43 pm

If you do a search on him, you will find multiple offences (driving, drugs, firearms) since he turned 18.

10. no excuse on October 2, 2015 at 1:08 am

It’s no excuse… But he had a medical emergency… The reason he never hit the brakes was he had a seizure.. Yes he shouldn’t be driving but Wtf all these comments and to be honest I’m sure most of u commenting have a record.

• Anon on October 2, 2015 at 12:34 pm

That’s a crock.

Of course he had a medical emergency.

Look at the phone records…

• Christina on October 2, 2015 at 12:39 pm

You’re absolutely right, it’s no excuse.