Letter to the Editor: Dress Code Issues in Calvert County Schools

December 7, 2015

Dress CodeThis is my 6th grade daughter that goes to Mill Creek Middle school in Calvert County MD. This is what she wore to school today. Its leggings and a shirt that clearly covers her butt. When she got off the school bus at school she walked past the principal and 5 to 6 teachers and administrators and noone said anything about her outfit not being appropriate. When she got to her home room a boy in the class yelled out “Madison has leggings on” and the teacher said she thought it was fine because she was fully covered but to go to the office to make sure.

Madison went to the office where the principal told her to put her gym shorts on over her leggings because her shirt was not 3 inches abover her knee. Madison was devistated and embarrassed and called me from the bathroom. I went to the school to talk to the principal about this policy. While i was in the school i noticed many girls with skinny jeans on that were tighter and more revealing then the pants my daughter had on and had shirts on that just went to the top of their pants. I also noticed teachers wearing leggings with short shirts on as well. When i talked to the principal she pulled out the calvert county code of conduct and showed me the dress code and said that it is the policy that is followed all throughout Calvert County and that she follows it to the letter of the law.

I told her that was not true because last year all my daughter wore was leggings and never got in trouble for any thing she wore. She would not budge on the issue so I asked for the next higher person to talk to. I wanted to know what was behind this policy about not being able to wear leggings and yoga pants that in my opinion cover more then the skinny jeans they are allowed to wear. I was referred ro the board of education head of pupil services who danced around all of my questions with politically correct answers. She said that the code of conduct is not a policy it is just a guidline. So which one is it? A policy or guidline? How can each school make up their own rules based on such a vague polcy/guidline. Believe me, i under stand not letting girls wear leggings with short shirts or that you can see through.

I would never let my daughter leave the house in something like that but what she is wearing is completely appropriate, not to mention it is comfortable so she can focus on school work and not be unconfortable in jeans all day.
Next point, has anyone seen the volley ball uniforms or the cheer uniforms or the poms uniforms provided by the schools for the girls? Well they are completely against every rule in the dress code.
Third point, i was told that the reason for not letting the girls wear tight pants is so that it does not distract the boys in class. How about we teach our boys to respect the girls and not look at them in that way and go to school to learn.
Fourth point, the boys dress code allows for them to wear pants as tight as they want to and they dont have to wear shirts 3 inches from their knees….how is that fair?

I am completely outraged at this dress code policy and I have already contacted southern maryland news to take up this story.
My last point will be this, the other problem with this so called policy is that it is pick and choose. My daughters friend had on the same out fit all day today just different colors and was never talked to about the dress code. If the principal at mill creek is so worried about the dress code then there should be a way to check every single child that comes in as they walk through the door or in first period and not just IF someone happens to see them.

I have talked to many parent of students in Mill Creek who agree with me about this policy and it is going to take all of us to band together to make a change. Our girls should be allowed to go to school and be comfortable as long as they are fully covered and the clothes do not affect the school atmosphere.

Brandi Russell-Sullivan

98 Responses to Letter to the Editor: Dress Code Issues in Calvert County Schools

1. James Hitchcock on December 7, 2015 at 9:03 am

this issue has been going on for the longest time… like 100’s of years.

2. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 9:25 am

Your daughter should be wearing pants and that is why the sexual predator in the classroom yelled out about the leggings. Use some common sense now and you could avoid being a grandmother too soon.

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 10:30 am

Are you serious ?? She is completely clothed and covered ! That grandmother comment is uncalled for !

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 11:05 am

Wow!! That comment was totaled uncalled for. There are children that walk the streets with their stomach exposed and much more that deserve that comment but not this childs mother. As being a parent myself, there is nothing wrong with what this child is wearing since her body parts that could cause her to become pregnant are fully covered. This is what kids and adult women wear including teachers at my daughters school which is not in Calvert.

• Anonymous#13 on December 7, 2015 at 12:17 pm

I see young girls and teenagers in Southern Maryland dressing very revealing and seductive. There is no need for a 7-year-old to wear a T-shirt that reads “Hottie” in sequins. No wonder there are so many unwed and teen-aged mothers here. I know of a young girl barely 22 with 3 kids by 3 different men and she lost custody of her kids because of drugs and criminal history. She dresses like slut. These girls have to realize they have to have a marketable skill and a job before they start having babies or they will be on welfare and social services for the rest of their lives. They are just breeding one generation after another of Government leeches.

• Christina on December 7, 2015 at 1:00 pm

A 6th grader should’t be wearing “leggings” to school anyways.

• Anonymous on December 8, 2015 at 10:58 am

Why?

• Christina on December 9, 2015 at 11:32 am

you’re the idiot if you don’t know. troll

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 3:40 pm

And these types of opinions is why we are still teaching our girls that it’s their responsibility to control the hormonal thoughts of a 13 year old boy…. I didn’t realize it was still 1955

• MarineVet on December 8, 2015 at 11:25 am

How about teaching our daughters to respect themselves and cherish their most personal assets…THEMSELVES!

Oh how Snarky of you (I didn’t realize it was still 1955)Really?

Young men have vivid enough imaginations of their own… That hasn’t changed since 1955 and they still don’t need the visual aid…

• Sean on December 7, 2015 at 10:54 am

Leave the 1800’s much or you just kind of stay there?

• Christina on December 8, 2015 at 10:26 am

If this were the “1800’s” then you and your family would have been stoned by the villagers. Lets not be unrealistic here guy.

• MarineVet on December 8, 2015 at 11:28 am

yeah Sean… because dressing for success went out of style after the turn of the 20th century?

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 11:27 am

My daughter is wearing pants. Ny daughter is in all honors classes and is a straight A student. She knows right from wrong and she knows that wearing leggings will not get you pregnant. Maybe you should retake the class she took last year and also have a talk about the birds and the bees with your own parents if you think that leggings or stretchy pants cause pregnancies.

• Sara on December 7, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Your an idiot! There is nothing wrong with this outfit. The problem is people like you.

• Justin on December 7, 2015 at 1:38 pm

You’re not more concerned with a “sexual predator” being in the classroom? Go back to your lair, Troll.

• Ms. Bernice on December 7, 2015 at 9:28 pm

You right! She look like she is about ready to go to the club in Baltimore or something. Put some clothes on that child.

3. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 9:33 am

The dress code clearly says that stretchy and / or spandex pants are prohibited. Stop bitching about the school doing their job and do yours. As a parent it is your job to teach your children to follow the rules or pay the consequences, regardless of if you agree with the rules. If you want the rules changed than teach your child to do that in a constructive and appropriate way. The school is not the problem here, poor parenting choices is. It is not the schools fault that you decided to allow your child to wear something that clearly didn’t meet the dress code. I personally think what she is wearing is fine, as I’m sure most do, but it clearly is in violation.

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 11:23 am

As a parent it is my responsibility to teach my children to fight for what they believe is fair and right. My daughter is dressed appropriately for school she is fully covered and the policy does not state no leggings it states they can wear them if the shirt covers them. My problem with this policy is that it is not followed for everyone it is pick and choose who gets called out on it as well as it is unreasonable and not fair. Lets just say the government made a rule that noone is allowed to drive their car on a Tuesday unless your in the government, should we all just stop driving on Tuesdays or should we stand up and say wait a minute that is not fair and it is not reasonable. There is nothing wrong with what my daughter is wearing and if you go to the schoo you will see some outfits that are clearly more revealing then what she has on and yet nothing is done about those. If its going to be a policy for everyone to follow then thats fine we will follow the rules but it needs to be fair, reasonable and followed the same way for every single child, boy or girl, that walks through the doors of every school in Calvert County!!

• Anonymous#13 on December 7, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Where did you go to school, Brandi? There are so many grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors in your post it’s comical. Do you say “Do you want fries with that?” at your job?

• Anonymous on December 8, 2015 at 7:45 am

It’s grammar errors, not grammatical. Ding-dong!

• Anonymous #13 on December 8, 2015 at 5:44 pm

“Grammatical errors” is correct. Grammatical is an adjective describing the noun ‘errors.’ Grammar is a noun and can’t be described by another noun. Google is and see what you find. And gfy.

• Parent on December 7, 2015 at 11:38 am

You are correct, the code of conduct clearly states the rules, and so do the numerous emails that come home on a weekly basis. I have seen at least three weeks in a row that the principal emailed parents the weekly schedule and added at the bottom that leggings were still a problem in school and have the children dressed appropriately. While I agree her outfit isn’t scandalous, it’s clearly indicated as against the rules.

• Jamie on December 9, 2015 at 12:04 am

Exactly. 100% agree.

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 12:32 pm

couldn’t have said it better

• Justin on December 7, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I’m guessing you drive exactly 55 on the highway… If some rules are loosely enforced they will be tested. Let’s not be pretentious, judgmental, and assumptive toward someone you don’t know anything about.

• entitlement on December 7, 2015 at 2:12 pm

You’re probably the type of person that thinks they don’t have to follow a rule because they don’t agree with it. Rules are in place for a reason. Whether or no someone follows them is a different situation. However, if you choose not to then there are consequences. Nobody is being pretentious or assumptive because the parent clearly laid out the situation in the article. As for being judgmental, what do you think a comment section is for?

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:15 pm

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 3:05 pm

No I don’t however, I don’t get upset and run to my mommy or social media about being singled out or treated unfairly. If I know the speed limit and choose to break it then I suffer the consequences. It’s a pretty simple concept.

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I, for one, can admit that I do not drive exactly 55mph in a 55mph, but if I got pulled over because I was over, then I would take responsibility for my actions. I’ve said this many times, if you break a rule/law then take responsibility. No one person is above the rules in this school, some just don’t get caught.

4. JAMES HITCHCOCK on December 7, 2015 at 9:35 am

James Hitchcock where do you live? I have not been able to find you in any database thus far, and people are beginning to think you are me, and that’s not gonna work for me. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

• It's ok on December 8, 2015 at 9:07 am

There are 5 James Hitchcock’s in Maryland according to 411 with address… Damascus, Westminster, Hagerstown, St. Leonard and North Beach… additional locations could be Fort Meade, Silver Spring, and Gaithersburg.

Also there have been 21 babies born as James Hitchcock in Maryland.

5. Parent on December 7, 2015 at 9:47 am

Just as an aside, the students are all given a code of conduct at the beginning of the school year. Elementary students have to have guardian signature. I read this rule the first week of school.

6. Leggings lover on December 7, 2015 at 10:07 am

I’m with the school on this – that shirt dress hardly cover the curves of her butt! There is a time and place to allow the butt to hang out but school is not the place for that. I’m 38 and will be the first to admit that when I see a woman in legging I turn to check out her rear end! A tiny little shirt isn’t going to change that – now if I were 14 again I’m sure I would be in hog heaven with all the leggings around!!!!! Do yourself a favor – JUST SAY NO TO LEGGINGS IN SCHOOL

• Justin on December 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm

That’s a great idea… Let’s not worry about your own behavior. Let’s just tell this little girl to cover up because her body causes bad things to happen. We wonder why females have negative body images in this society.

• Beamer on December 14, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Too bad the shirt she’s wearing doesn’t cover her face!

7. Jenn on December 7, 2015 at 10:24 am

What is wrong with you? Anonymous ^^^

8. Jenn on December 7, 2015 at 10:28 am

I have 5 daughters who wear leggings and I wear yoga pants everyday! My kids are never inappropriate and don’t have any interest in making me a grandmother any time soon! They all have outstanding grades and a bright future in front of them!

• Feral on December 7, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I truly feel sorry for you. You and your children are likely to get raped with their clothing style. It is too bad Maryland can’t allow you to carry a weapon. If it does then I don’t mind as long you have a weapon to protect yourself from criminals. But you need to think outside of box that there are many sicko men who will do anything to get their stick in holes.

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:18 pm

You are disgusting to even say that!!! Rape has nothing to do with what a girl wears and you are sick if you really think what you just wrote. I am sorry Jenn that this person put this comment!! Sick!!

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 3:04 pm

So are you saying girls/women should wear burlap sacks so they don’t get raped? Getting raped for wearing leggings? You are truly an idiot.

• Justice on December 8, 2015 at 10:53 am

Go and try wear legging in a ghetto area. Don’t cry to me if they rape you. Use common sense and stop being defensive.

• Beamer on December 14, 2015 at 3:37 pm

to Jenn,

They must be fat!

9. Antoinette on December 7, 2015 at 10:54 am

Uniforms…problem solved!

• Christina on December 8, 2015 at 12:43 pm

YES!!! #LeggingsDontMatter

10. Parent on December 7, 2015 at 11:13 am

Just follow the dress code, and don’t worry about what other people are doing. Maybe the next step is uniforms, and then you can complain at the cost of having to buy them every year. Yoga pants and/or leggings are not appropriate to be wearing in an educational setting. By teaching your child that they can fight back at the rules is going to hurt them in the long run. The rules are put in place for a reason.

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Not of the rule is wrong and unfair. And who said leggings and yoga pants are not appropriate? And why does this person say that? Whats wrong with them? My daughter is fully covered from head to toe except for her arms. Nothing is see through. Please explain to me whatis wrong with what she is wearing. Just because “someone” said so…who is this someone and how did they come up with this idea??

11. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 11:16 am

Her shirt in my opinion needs to be 3 inches lower. There many cute dresses out there that are probably a bit too short to wear over bare legs that would look awesome over a pair of leggings.

12. cheywolf on December 7, 2015 at 11:22 am

Maybe if the teachers actual would teach they wouldn’t be so worried about the dress code. Her outfit is fine, everything is covered. SMH

13. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 11:25 am

I think leggins should be allowed to be worn in school as long as the student is dressed appropriately. I don’t see anything wrong with what this young lady is wearing, in fact, I think the outfit looks cute. I have a daughter who is 5 and the only pants I can get her to wear are leggins or sweat pants because she has a difficult time buttoning jeans. I’ve seen students dress a lot worse than this and nothing is said to them.

14. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 11:25 am

If girls can not wear leggings then boys should not be wearing skinny Jeans!!! You can see the out line of them! The school is not buying the clothes are they! In some cases leggings are 10$ jeans are 25$ maybe that’s all the money they had ! Let her wear leggings she covered!! If it’s that big of problems then boys and girls should be separated!

15. idiots everywhere on December 7, 2015 at 11:44 am

sksd

16. idiots everywhere on December 7, 2015 at 11:45 am

pretty sure if a young man dresed like thi with his stuff howing he would be made to change too. top crying about feminist bull, and send your children to chool prepared to learn

17. Jennifer on December 7, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Looks like the only real issue here is that the school may not be consistent in their enforcement of the dress code. Sounds like the mother doesn’t really have a case, and I don’t understand why she posted a picture that showed her daughter’s face.

Schools could do away with a lot of these issues if they went to uniforms. Some parents may even appreciate uniforms in that they wouldn’t have to fight with their children over what they should be wearing to school every day.

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:26 pm

My daughter has a beautiful face and did nothing wrong. Why shouldnt i post her face?? Besides that I asked her ifshe wanted me to blurr her face and she said no. And how is unfair enforcment of a rule not a case?? In your opinion is it ok for the schools to make up the rules as theybgo along and punish some but not others for said rules??

• Matt on December 8, 2015 at 3:08 pm

You asked your 6th grader minor child to make the decision on whether or not to keep her face anonymous? I believe we are getting to the root of the problem.

18. Anonymous#13 on December 7, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Her outfit looks like she’s going to a pajama party instead of to school. If comfort were such an issue we’d all slop around in our pajamas and slippers every day everywhere. Leggings are what we called tights and only wore them under a skirt or dress, or with leotards at the gym. They are not appropriate for public wear with only a baggy shirt. Your daughter looks like typical Southern Maryland trailer trash. She could tidy up her hair and dress a little more conservatively. A few weeks ago I saw two girls, barely 16, wearing spike heels and short tight dresses at a Burger King! They looked like hookers, and it wasn’t Halloween. The ‘fashions’ today say a lot about the poor parenting these kids are receiving. My mother wouldn’t let me out of the house looking like that.

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:29 pm

But your mother lets you make fun of a 12 year old under an anonymous name?? Thats nice.

• Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 10:33 pm

This is the most discusting comment I’ve ever read. You do realize your talking about a middle school child right?!? Get a life, you sound like typical CALVERT COUNTY TRAILER TRASH. I hope you don’t have the privilege of having any kids yourself, if you do, I feel so sorry for them and the ways they have to be raised by someone as low as you.

19. Parent on December 7, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I feel bad for what your daughter had to go through, but I would say avoiding tights with not long enough shirts wouldn’t harm. Boys need to learn manners as well as girls need to dress nicely, you can’t clap with one hand :). Agree with you on cheer dresses and stuff.

20. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Instead of coming to school with an attitude you could have come to school with a different set of cloths. If you had won your fight, what benefit educationally would that have given your daughter? Are you saying your daughter can’t learn in other cloths or she doesn’t feel confident in other cloths that would be at or above the regulation? You have to pick and choose your battles and this, to me, seems like a battle that should have just been let go. This has nothing to do with her education and I would think if they get too many complaints than they would just force all students to dress in a uniform. I am curious why you feel this was such a big deal?

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I did not go to the school with an attitude, I went to find out what was wrong with what she was wearing. If I had taken her another pair of pants it would of been skinny jeans because thats the other pants she wears and in my opinion I would rather her be in leggings/ stretchy pants because they show less of the nooks and crannys if you know what I mean. I dont mind there being rules about dress, in fact in a school setting I think there needs to be rules but I also think that the rules need to be fair for everyone, boys and girls and need to be enforced evenly across the board. That is why I am upset about the whole thing and that is why I will be fighting the issue until it is changed and if uniforms are the answer then so be it but the rules that are in place now are not fair and not enforced evenly.

• Brandi Sullivan on December 7, 2015 at 2:36 pm

One other thing, if these are the rules that the school stands by then why are the uniforms wore by the cheerleaders, volley ball team and poms teams not in line with these rules?? Whats the difference, they are wearing them at a school function and in fact given to the girls by the schools. What kind of message does that send? Follow the rules but if we dont its ok??

• Anonymous#13 on December 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Sounds good to me. If she’s so interested in comfort instead of an education, why don’t we all wear baggy black pajamas like they do in China. With the state of the world today, and the US of A going to hell in a hand-basket, there are far more important issues to squabble about. Get a life, Brandi.

21. cochise on December 7, 2015 at 1:48 pm

No offense meant to anyone, but I really feel that girls should wear loose fitting clothes to school and boys as well should wear loose fitting clothes and no muscle type shirts.

22. entitlement on December 7, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Another parent that thinks she doesn’t have to follow the rules. If you’re upset about it then contact the board of education. If you think tight jeans should be banned and want to file a complaint about what teachers are wearing, then contact the board of education. Don’t write to the newspaper complaining about what your daughter isn’t allowed to wears to school. It is up to the principal to decide what is appropriate and what is not. If you do not agree with their decision and have already spoken with them, like you said you did in your letter, then contact the board of education. It’s that simple. The dress code states no leggings. Your daughter is wearing leggings. Just because you think it’s fine it’s still against dress code. If you feel your daughter is being singled out then guess what. Contact the board of education.

23. Quinn on December 7, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Since the dress code clearly states “leggings are prohibited”, they should not be worn. The “3 inches above the knee” is also clearly written. If people want to address the dress code with the school to have the code changed, that should be done before violating the code itself. No child should be allowed to ignore the rules… nor should any parent “entitle” their child to do so.

Teachers wearing leggings covered by shirts are not part of the student dress code. If in fact, there is a dress code for faculty that prohibits wearing leggings – that should be brought up separately. Certainly, the faculty should keep in mind that they are role models and adults, and they might want to reconsider their “professional” wardrobe.

As for tight fitting jeans – there might be a time in the future that these also become prohibited. Since the dress code does not call them out – they are still permitted. (Boys pants hanging down to their knees were once commonplace, and are now officially prohibited in the dress code.) Things can be changed over time, but should be done in a structured, reasonable manner.

If other students are not following the dress code – that is something the faculty can and should address. This does not in any way, negate the fact that your child is breaking the rules.

If all parents teach their children that the rules don’t pertain to them – then they are setting themselves, and their child up – for a rude awakening.

Weekends, days off, etc. are perfect for wearing leggings at home. For you to insinuate that your daughter needs to wear leggings to be “comfortable so she can concentrate on schoolwork” – is a “stretch”… (no pun unintended)

24. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I go to patuxent and let me be the first one to say I think it’s disgusting for kids to walk around in leggings, walking up the steps and seeing a bright pink thong through their leggings. You’re complaint is invalid ✌️

25. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I feel bad for this girl, not because she was corrected on her dress code violation, but because her mother made a huge deal out of this issue and now this girl will definitely get picked on. Point is, there is a dress code for a reason. I remember when I was in high school, I was wearing a spaghetti strap tank top because I was wearing something over it but I got warm so I took it off. I got corrected by a teach and was told to put my jacket back on. Later, I saw a very large girl wearing a halter top with nothing covering her up. Sure, I thought it was unfair and I was angry, but did I cry about it? Nope, I took responsibility because I had broken the dress code and guess what? I got over it. The mother should be ashamed for putting her daughter’s business out there like this. She could have taken it up in private with the school and really pressed the issue if she felt she needed to, but to put it in the media, is only asking for your daughter to be bullied.

• Anonymous on December 8, 2015 at 9:23 am

I was thinking the same thing. Poor girl is going to have a rough time at school with all the teasing. Thanks Mom!

26. Nicole on December 7, 2015 at 3:49 pm

My family also fights this battle. My daughter looks pretty and well put together everyday…. I drive her to school….. I see what she wears…. And yet at least once a week the vice principal feels it necessary to “address her dress code violations”. Really?? How about spending that hour teaching her math rather than have her down in the office getting her skirt length measured!! And I must say it makes me laugh that she cannot wear leggings, but next year when she is in high school at Northern they will be just fine as school attire. It’s not 1955 and we should at some point stop teaching our girls that they are someone responsible for the hormonal thoughts and behaviors of 13 year old boys!

• Matt on December 8, 2015 at 10:09 am

Stop fighting the battle and put some decent clothes on your kids.

• MarineVet on December 8, 2015 at 11:36 am

Nicole… How about sending your daughter to school dressed like she is there to “learn” math and not like shes there to pick up someone?

Our daughters should be taught to value themselves and not share with all… That went out with Free Love of the 1960s

27. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Brandi- Don’t listen to these crazy people. The outfit is totally appropriate. Schools and society are overly sensitive when someone brings anything up and instead of handling issues like safety and abolishing common core math, they micromanage things they can control.

28. Anonymous on December 7, 2015 at 6:58 pm

She’s 12 and she is wearing a totally appropriate outfit for a 12 year old. No one on here knows her personally but I do and she is the smartest most reasonable kid I know. To make her walk around with gym shorts on bc her “butt” was hanging out is rediculois. 1 her butt was not hanging out and 2 what exactly is provocative about a 12 year olds butt? SHE’S 12 and in leggings. not 16 and in booty shorts! Sounds like some parents might want to instill some
    More manors in thisr little boys and it may not be as big an issue.

• Matt on December 8, 2015 at 10:08 am

Yes, these parents should teach more about manors to their little boys.
      And also estates, mansions, chateaus, maybe even castles. I don’t see how this is relevant though.

29. Delonte on December 7, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Wearing leggings to school in the 6th grade?!!! It’s Calvert County, so she will probably be a single parent in the 8th grade, anyways! Parents need to parent and when they don’t, the school has to step in. Stop whining when it happens!

30. Jenn on December 7, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Maybe after reading everyone nasty comments, maybe somewhere Im missing something! After I read the story I got that the parent is upset that policy isn’t followed for all students it’s a pick and choose kinda thing! Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech but bashing the parent isn’t going change anything. Do I think the girls attire isnt appropriate No, there is nothing wrong with what she is wearing…. She is comfortable and is in the 6th grade let the girl just go to school and learn. If another child says something to a teacher to point out what she is wearing and no adult int he school had addressed it yet then that’s a huge problem for the school, and further more what about all the joggers everyone is wearing to school even boys…. Do they have to cover the front and be 3 inches above the knees??? This is one of the many reason of what is wrong with our world we are teaching our girls to be ashamed of there body and to cover up….. Maybe we need to do a better job at teaching the boys to be respectful to a young girl! Yes yes there are peeves out there but guess what if she had jeans on and a turtle neck sweater it would still not change that, if someone is going to do something like that then they are it’s not because of what you are wearing. And the white trash comment come one r I serious…. I’m almost positive the ones on here bashing the parent most likely don’t have children of there own!! And your anonymous even better!!! The mother has the right to show her frustration there is no need to bash her…. When your daughter is crying and at that age that is so difficult for a young girl… Your going to stand up for her! im a mother or two smart young girls 12 and 3 and I also have step son as well so I see both sides.

31. Dan on December 7, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Not that the school should enforce this, but wearing leggings as pants is straight up trashy. Put a jean skirt over them or something. It’s the same as a dude going to school (or anywhere) wearing nothing but thermals.

• MarineVet on December 8, 2015 at 11:30 am

Agreed!!!

32. Wow on December 8, 2015 at 12:37 am

You people make me sick. This girl looks fine. She is dressed a lot better then most of the elementary girls that come out of my sons school. I think the teachers show a lot more then this child is showing. She looks fine and your doing a wonderful job raising your child. It would be a problem if the leggings were white and you could see right through them, but you can’t. A lot of skinny jeans are 80%+ spandex. Being comfortable has a lot to do with learning.

• Anonymous on December 8, 2015 at 10:07 am

I agree that there is nothing wrong with what the girl is wearing and it is perfectly acceptable in almost every situation except for when a rule clearly states that the shirt she is wearing doesn’t go down far enough. You mention the color being darker but if they had to amend the rule for different colors or different styles than there would be 1000 different rules for dress code. This whole thing should be a non issue, the school employees were just enforcing a rule that was known by all the parents and students. While every child should be taught to stand up for their rights and against injustices they should also be taught to follow the rules and go through the proper channels. If she or her mother thought the rule should be changed they should have written a petition, gotten support from other students and parents, and take their complaints to the school board. If I want the speed limit changed to 80 mph on 235 I don’t just drive around doing 80 than act surprised when I get a ticket. The lesson she learned here is just do what you want to do even if it is against the rules and there is way too much of that mentality going around these days. As far as your last argument that being comfortable has a lot to do with learning, I find it hard to believe that she would be any less comfortable in a longer shirt. This could have been a perfect lesson for her daughter about how to go through the proper procedure to change a school policy, it is not too late, she should consider going that route.

33. It's ok on December 8, 2015 at 9:01 am

maybe she should take up selling drugs and there wouldn’t be an issue with her attire.

34. MCM VP on December 8, 2015 at 9:12 am

Well there is something the daughter isn’t telling mommy… She wasn’t wearing that flannel shirt when she was sent to the office. The Flannel was added at the time of the photo and is cover up her short shirt.

• Anonymous#13 on December 8, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I’m sure there’s a lot she isn’t telling Mommy.

• Bob Jones on December 8, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I believe it!

35. bubba on December 8, 2015 at 9:43 am

Join the Cheer Squad… if you want to dress revealing.

• Ashley on December 9, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Please tell me what is revealing about this outfit?

36. Matt on December 8, 2015 at 9:56 am

Dress your daughter modestly. Skin tight leggings don’t apply.

Other option: keep your head buried in the sand.

37. Anonymous on December 8, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Some of these comments are crazy. You do not deserve to be attacked on your parenting. I see nothing wrong with the way your daughter is dressed. Everyone will have their own opinion. Many people get carried away with their opinions though and turn things nasty! They must be bored. I love the grammar attacks too those are always amusing!!!!

38. Meg on December 8, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Leggings are not pants. I’ve seen grown women sent home from work for wearing leggings in a professional work environment.

39. Justin B on December 8, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Although I can appreciate the ideals of standing up for what is right, and all of that, I think this is a little misguided. You are fighting the wrong fight. Reading the comments, and taking them with a grain of salt, because I can not confirm whether it is accurate or not, it seems that leggings are prohibited in school. Yes, you have a right to be angry that your daughter was singled out, if in fact there are many girls wearing leggings and only one was “busted” for it. But clearly she violated the rules. If she was in compliance with the guidelines, and there clearly needs to be a discussion about those, this wouldn’t even be a story.

If you were speeding, and you received a speeding ticket, are you going to write an angry letter to the police stating your outrage that you received a ticket for admittedly speeding, when 100’s of people speed on a daily basis and they weren’t issued a citation as well??? My point is, the schools are clearly identifying these articles of clothing as inappropriate. Your opinion on whether they are or aren’t really doesn’t matter, that is an argument for another day. I am willing to bet that the school doesn’t want to be forced to send girls home because they are dressed “inappropriately”. They aren’t going around and checking clothing (as confirmed in your statements that many other girls were dressed that way). However, if it is brought to their attention that someone violated the rules (in this case, an outburst in class), the school is now forced to react to that. If the classmate had never made a scene, I am willing to bet your daughter wouldn’t have been singled out. But the class mate did make a comment, and the school was now forced to make a ruling. Agree or disagree, the school made a ruling based on the standards as written.

So your daughter can either follow the standards, and you should encourage her to do so, or she can face the potential punishment for not. Seems a foolish fight to me. If you want to make your point, rather than writing the newspaper, I would suggest your daughter identify to the school every girl she sees wearing leggings. She can do so anonymously, or she can do it as a way to stand up for what is right, however she is comfortable. Then everyone is treated equally, and the school will get pretty tired of this foolishness and make a clear policy for everyone to follow

• Es on December 9, 2015 at 7:44 am

This summated what I was going to write. I will add that I don’t think your daughter is dressed inappropriately since her shirt covers her bottom and you can’t see her underwear line through the leggings. Some of the comments above, about how she is dressed, were outright mean, not constructive, and unnecessary. The rule was unevenly administered and your daughter got caught out by it. It sucks, it may not be fair or make any sense, but it’s life.

If you really want to put the effort into trying to change the policy, you can try to have parents sign a petition and then attend a school board meeting and bring up the issue, petition in hand, illustrating how many parents have an issue with the policy. You could also play dress code police and stand in the lobby of the school and point out to administrators every student that walks by who violates the dress code (but be sure your daughter is following it to the letter or it will undermine your cause).

Only you can decide how much time and energy you want to devote to this fight. Keep in mind, your daughter has two more years at that school and this will probably happen again next year and the year after, regardless of whether you fight it or not, unless they redo the dress code and ban leggings all together (which could happen if the school board hears a big fuss from the parents over leggings. It’s easier to ban something then it is to enforce qualifying rules for it).

Good luck in whatever course of action you decide to take.

40. I Know Brandi Sullivan on December 8, 2015 at 6:14 pm

The outfit is in violation of the school dress code plain and simple. The mother has no right to balk at the school for singling out the kid for violating the dress code. The teachers and other faculty staff were merely doing their job enforcing the rules in this situation of violation. The fact that other students may or may not be reprimanded for the same violation is irrelevant as the fact of the matter is there are some teachers and faculty staff at each school who are well versed in the rules and requirements for students to comply with and aren’t so reserved by politically correct nature of today’s world that they still see merit in enforcing the rules and there are those who are on the opposite side of the spectrum for one reason or another. The mother in this case should be more concerned as has been previously commented on in helping to convince her daughter to comply with the rules as opposed to enabling the bad behavior with making excuses for her. The fact that this on a public media site resonates to the fact the mother has no interest in correcting the real issue at hand.

41. Anonymous on December 9, 2015 at 8:01 am

While I personally see nothing wrong with this childs outfit, but it’s against school dress code period. Ok, so her friend wore the exact same outfit just different colors and didn’t get in trouble, teachers/staff can’t catch everyone doing wrong. Stop making a big deal about it and to avoid your child getting into trouble at school, abide by the dress code! Period!

42. anonymous on December 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm

From Calvert Code of Conduct

“Clothing that is too tight or too short is not acceptable. Clothing must not be shorter than three inches above
    the knee. Tights, leggings, etc. must be covered with an article of clothing that is within 3 inches of the
    knee.”

43. lmccarthy on December 9, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Leggings are not pants, period. It is vulgar and not appropriate dress for school. I have a 14 year old in St. Marys and she knows better than to even attempt something of this nature. And her friends ….

44. Common sense on December 15, 2015 at 9:29 am

Stupid parenting. First arguing with school officials will teach your daughter to not respect their authority. And then putting her image on the internet to invite the whole world to tell you what they think. So here it goes. Your daughters clothes look innocent enough, no problems there but the smug, we’re gonna teach those administrators a lesson look on her face is the problem. Congratulations on raising another person who will have no regard or respect for people they should. I.e. Police, bosses, managers or elders in general. You mam just got elected MOTHER OF THE YEAR!!