April 5, 2016
IMG_4457

Carton of Milk from St. Mary’s County Schools that expires on April 14, that was manufactured at 11:25 a.m.

UPDATE 4/5/2016 @ 9:40 a.m.: Megan Doran, the Director of Food and Nutrition Services for St. Mary’s County Public Schools, spoke with SMNEWSNET and informed us that the expiration date on the “expired” carton of milk that was posted on Facebook was NOT expired at all. It actually expires on April 12 and was packaged at 15;32 (3:32 p.m.). She also said the box around the “date” is NOT on the cartons, and it blocks the : of the time.

She went on to say if any parents had concerns, she could be reached at 301-475-4256 Option 5.

4/5/2016: A photo on Facebook has received hundreds of “shares”, “likes” and comments on Facebook today.

One woman on Facebook posted a photo of a milk carton with an expiration date of “APR 12 15”. The following comment was included with the photo, “So my kids been coming home crying that the milk at school makes them sick. So I told them to bring home the carton and this is what I received… Why the he’ll are my kids receiving a year old milk that was curdled and rotten. No wonder they don’t eat at school. I wonder what else is old and out of date they give them? This is bull#### and I will be taking this up with St. Mary’s County schools.”

SMNEWSNET called the number for food services for St. Mary’s County Public Schools and spoke to a person who said they would give our message to the Director of Food and Nutrition Services for the St. Mary’s County Public Schools, and at the time of this report, we have not received a call back.

With the date being a year off it seems it could be a misprint, the code on the carton.

The only information in the photo other than the expiration date is the manufactures code 32 42-046 1c. According to whereismymilkfrom.com the milk comes from Tuscan – Lehigh Dairies, out of Lansdale, Pennsylvania.

A few comments from Facebook can be seen below.

milk
milk 4milk 3milk 5milk 2

129 Responses to St. Mary’s County Schools Director of Food and Nutrition Services Says the Milk at Schools is NOT Expired

1. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 8:49 am

This is ridiculous. I was in middle school 14 years ago and they would always serve rotten fruit juice! To the point of kids being able to get buzzed off of it. It smelled like alcohol. I can’t believe this is still an issue.

• kayakman on April 6, 2016 at 1:41 am

Who cares!!

• Anonymous on April 6, 2016 at 1:27 pm

People with kids who eat. People with kids who pay for food that isn’t expired. Like, a lot of people. Did I really need to explain that to you?

2. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 8:56 am

My kids say the same I’m asking them to bring me one home today

3. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 9:07 am

its part of the milk’s timestamp. It’s not the year…there’s cartons at the school with ’17’ on them in that same spot. Little did we know, SMCPS are so advanced they get their milk from the future!

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:50 am

The 17 would not be the year but the time. So it would have been stamped at 5:00 pm.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:36 pm

man…that joke whizzed right over your head

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:57 am

Thank You!!!!!

• Dan on April 5, 2016 at 12:34 pm

But it’s so much easier to get angry and complain, than it is to be reasonable and make an attempt to understand the truth!

GET THE PITCHFORKS!!!!

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Lol! I like this one. ^^^

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:57 pm

And torches! We are marching baby.

4. Concerned parent on April 5, 2016 at 9:14 am

I asked my kids this morning. My daughter from spring ridge said that in the mornings often a carton of milk is spoiled in her class. My son that goes to ridge elem. said that some times the milk is yucky I told him to check the expiration date before drinking it. My daughter refuses to eat/drink from the school but my son really likes to for some reason.

• Roger on April 6, 2016 at 8:08 am

What? Your comment is frivolous.

5. Liz on April 5, 2016 at 9:14 am

If it was a miss print then why so many kids getting sick? This is crazy! I know the girl who posted this and she dont lie! why would she make it up people, come on. It’s not just that school to, It’s allover St.Mary’s county.

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 9:57 am

So many kids? The article is talking about one. Overly dramatic much?

• Really? on April 5, 2016 at 11:28 am

It’s not a misprint. It is a parent who didn’t look at the milk. She circled where the colon was. The colon shows the time, NOT the year. It was not expired.

• Aprils Fools on April 5, 2016 at 12:21 pm

They aren’t. Tell a kid the milk is bad and will make you sick, the kids will act sick. Not to mention, there is a flu bug going around that is laying people out for up to 10 days. Based off of some of the comments posted in the story, some of the people complaining should have stayed in school. Not sure where Green holy (sic) school is in St. Mary’s county. Out.

• werwe on April 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Then why don’t you ask the supplier why kids are getting sick? BTW, your grammar stinks

6. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 9:19 am

Upset to see my taxes are not doing a good job. Who would have thought?

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Call the manufacturer to find the truth about how the dates are printed. Maybe director of food and nourishment is the one misinformed and serving all these kids expired food!

7. The Dude... on April 5, 2016 at 9:52 am

Parents…feed your children. Why have you let it become the Governments responsibility to feed your kids? Yeah, I know…”I can’t afford, blah, blah, blah…”. sure, there are poor folks who need help and I’m betting they are getting it in the form of Food Stamps/EBT…put it to use and feed YOUR children.

When my kids were in grammar and middle school (Park Hall) I volunteered on a few occasions in the school for various activities…watching the morning routine that these teachers had to go through with getting breakfast ready and trying to ensure kids ate was ridiculous! They’re teachers…not the PARENTS! Better than half of the food was thrown in the trash…even the unopened items because they’re not allowed to restock it. SO WASTEFUL and UNGRATEFUL were these kids.

You know how I know my kids lunches were healthy and nutritious? My wife made it for them each morning!

Stop relying on the Government (…and by default, ME…$$$) to raise your damn kids!

Christ…now they’re gonna be sick with food poisoning and I’ll have to cover your Emergency room bill too!

See how that all work??!!

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:39 pm

SPEAK, DUDE!!

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I guess you don’t realize that school lunches aren’t free for everyone.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 5:29 pm

They still have free and reduced program… and at this school EVERY student is offered FREE bteakfast!

• The Dude... on April 5, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Yup…I do. But most at Park Hall were covered by your money too.

Do I come off as someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about? J/A

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Yeah, you do now that you mention it.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Yes. You also come off as sounding like a jerk too.

• The Dude... on April 6, 2016 at 10:08 am

Just part of my manly essence…you’ll get past it.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm

You don’t pay for everyones lunch.

• The Dude... on April 5, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Just most.

• anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I agree. If you’re so fed up with what you think the schools are doing, then be a responsible parent and feed your child breakfast before he/she leaves, and pack a lunch. No one’s forcing your child to take any handouts from the school.

8. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 9:54 am

My kid will not eat at school

9. Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 10:00 am

This is a prime example of how dumb social media makes people. One person posts something, and the next thing you know there’s people crawling from the woodwork with the same experience. Mob mentality at it’s best.

• Tell You What Sucks on April 8, 2016 at 9:37 am

All it takes is one photo to go viral and chaos ensues.

10. concerned mom and dad on April 5, 2016 at 10:01 am

My daughter will not eat or drink at school she tells me the food is spilled so she just waits until she gets home to eat.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Of course. How does one eat a meal that was spilled? Once it is spilled, it is rendered useless. Just my opinion.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Easy solution…she could just pack her lunch and she wouldn’t have to wait until she got home to eat if the school lunch is that bad.

11. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:05 am

It would have been a lot easier to read and or understand if she didn’t use marker.

12. Joe Lehan on April 5, 2016 at 10:19 am

Wow! Looks like a bunch of people need to get a frigging grip.. and I’m not talking about the school system. This is a case where, obviously, a parent didn’t do their homework. Unfortunately, they’ll never be held accountable for dissemination of false and misleading information.

13. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:21 am

I asked birth of my children today about this issue ( they go to Park Hall) and they both said they have been served both expired milk and juice. Bottom line I will not allow them to eat or drink anything served from the school and that’s a crying shame.

• Keepin It Real on April 6, 2016 at 12:50 am

This post is so full of crap.

14. Linda Sopjack on April 5, 2016 at 10:25 am

go back to Ohio Valley Dairy. Their milk always better. when came with Meals on Wheels

15. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:37 am

Get real People!!! Real simple…… Do what you have to do to feed your kids before school. HOME SCHOOL YOUR KIDS if you have a problem with the county schools. There is no way the school continues to serve bad food to students. The health department would be all over that. Find something else to complain about because bad/spoiled food isn’t cutting it.

16. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:49 am

Just curious… don’t all expiration markings contain the YEAR the item expires, along with the month and day? You could say that its obvious that the milk isn’t going to have an expiration date of 2017… but if somehow new cartons got mixed with an old batch, how could you tell what expired last year vs what’s expiring a few days from now?

why would the actual packaging time even be necessary? who cares if the milk was put in the box at 3:32pm?

Most things have a lot number and date that the item was made; which is understandable…

might as well put what second of the minute of the hour or the week of the month of the year the milk was packaged, on the side of the carton.

Mistakes happen, and when they happen close to home it makes things worse… but human error is something that will always exist, and there’s A LOT of room for error. Hopefully something positive will come from this… but we are ultimately talking about our government, so……………………..

• Roger on April 6, 2016 at 8:11 am

You have zero points in your post. Don’t comment unless you have something to contribute.

17. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:52 am

All in all, I would highly recommend that you pack your child’s lunch; school “food” is garbage and you cant trust the sources.
    Greens, Fruits, healthy fats, Nitrate/ Nitrite free meats, organic, grass fed, non grain diet meats are ideal and, most importantly, drink WATER.
    Cows milk is trash, and before you scream at me for making such a statement, I ask that you do your research.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 10:56 am

Correction, store bought cows milk is trash…

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:02 pm

The school mac and cheese is not garbage. It is delicious!

• Anonymous on April 6, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Mmm….cows milk is delicious! Especially Vitamin D!

18. SkanklesClinton on April 5, 2016 at 10:53 am

I especially like how the parents fraudulently drew a box around the time stamp with the intent to conceal the : . I’m sure these parents are the low income stay homes on gubment assistance, watching lawyer commercials in between reruns of (insert names of day time fat pig tv show).

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 5:03 pm

And your grammar stinks

• SkanklesClinton on April 6, 2016 at 6:57 am

I’m your average low intellect product of southern Maryland public schooling.

19. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 11:00 am

You all are so quick to jump on any band wagon, you can clearly tell the woman drew the line purposely over the : to make it look like it was expired. I am pretty sure they wouldn’t serve a year old milk. If you don’t like the schools meals pack your child’s lunch no one forces you to buy the school lunches. This woman looks like an idiot now and all of you supported her while she made this big old scene.

20. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 11:15 am

If there was a concern….why not go directly to them instead of blasting it on Facebook. Seems rather attention seeking. If they didn’t make things right…then blast away.

• John Cochran on April 6, 2016 at 4:57 am

But that isn’t the ‘Murican way anymore. It’s so much easier to cause public unrest and cause a stink on social media! It would be nice if SMCPS went after this “mom” for libel postings.

• Ryan on April 6, 2016 at 5:15 am

SMNEWSNET is doing the same thing. They would rather get the traffic in here instead of covering a story with substance.

21. Another concerned parent on April 5, 2016 at 11:26 am

I’m sorry, but I’m calling BS Mrs. Doran. My kids have been telling me for years how disgusting lunches are getting. Milk being spoiled is a very common occurrence, as well as molded food, roaches and bugs in food just to name a few. Packing a lunch is a rule in my home because I don’t want them 1 getting sick from eating school food and 2 actually getting a meal because the serving portions are ridiculous. It’s not a meal, it’s a damn snack. My kids are starving by the time they get home which is another problem that needs to be addresses and fixed as well. But let’s start with serving food that won’t sicken our children

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Yeah, it’s such a common occurrence that it never gets mentioned on any social media sites. Right……..

• Sorrynotsorry on April 5, 2016 at 10:27 pm

No, dummy like real news lie on the tv and the newspaper. But I will assume you aren’t familiar.

• Keepin It Real on April 6, 2016 at 10:27 am

Oh, so this happens all the time in SOMD and gets reported on the TV and newspapers? Talk about dummy…..

22. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 11:30 am

I graduated in 2007, that is the expiration date on the milk. We used to have to dig through to find milk that wasn’t expired all the time. The fact that they are saying this is the “boxed” date makes no sense, so they are boxing milk dated 2017 already, makes absolutely no sense at all.

• John Cochran on April 6, 2016 at 5:02 am

I graduated in 1999 and NEVER had a problem with anything that I may have drank or ate while in school. I also made it all the way through grades k-12 without A/C in the school system. GASP!

23. DJ Trump on April 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

Angry housemoms proven wrong. Good job SMCPS for proving them wrong. SMCPS should consider suing the parent who put the box around the date and covered the “:” with defamation of character.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I think the SMCPS is above suing the uninformed parent who started all the hoopla. They come out looking better by responding the way they have.

24. DJ Trump on April 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

**crickets**

25. L. Chakalis on April 5, 2016 at 11:50 am

My granddaughter attends Ridge Elementary and states that the milk either tastes ‘weird’ or is out of date, which is the claim made by my neighbors child as well. Small water bottles should be offered as well.

• John Cochran on April 6, 2016 at 5:04 am

Isn’t there a water fountain nearby? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

26. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 12:01 pm

It’s also rat milk.

27. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I don’t have kids in St.Mary’s schools, so I don’t know what the food is like. But…..Can this person read a freaking date?

28. Joey on April 5, 2016 at 12:07 pm

My daughter goes to Esperanza Middle school and said the food is horrible so she packs each day. The lunch prices are ridiculous also. Our son usually packs snacks and eats between classes because the food “sucks”

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 4:15 pm

There’s a difference between food tasting “horrible” and food being expired. Nice try though.

• Joey on April 6, 2016 at 8:04 am

Thank you genius! I wasn’t “trying” anything, just made a statement!

• Keepin It Real on April 6, 2016 at 10:28 am

That had nothing to do with anything. No one cares about your personal experience.

• Joey on April 7, 2016 at 8:34 am

As nobody cares about your sorry opinion!!

• Keepin It Real on April 7, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Wait, are you going to tell us water is wet for your next trick? I’m gonna be me regardless. Deal with it.

• Yo on April 8, 2016 at 9:15 am

Joey,

Nice…

29. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Maybe it’s not expired but if there are this many kids complaining it probably wasn’t stored properly or something happened in transportation. I bought a brand new gallon of milk the other day that didn’t expire for a week and it was rotten.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Milk rots? My Mom lied to me…she said it sours.

30. Ferd Berfel on April 5, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Simple solution: pack a lunch for your kids if you are that upset with the school! Or…..kwityerbitchen!

31. YouAreAnIdiot on April 5, 2016 at 12:59 pm

The chick that started this should apologize to St. Mary’s County Public Schools for being a complete idiot.

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 4:14 pm

You should see her Facebook post. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

• Yo on April 6, 2016 at 8:55 am

You really do have a lot of idle time.

• Keepin It Real on April 6, 2016 at 10:29 am

As much as anyone else. And I can do lots of other things too. Weird how that happens to people that aren’t lazy.

• Yo on April 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

What happens?

• Keepin It Real on April 7, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Stuff.

• Anonymous on April 12, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Stuff happens to people who aren’t lazy? What kind of stuff?

32. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 12:59 pm

I am guessing the parents thought that they froze the milk and are just now reusing it. Sounds like a great plan to me, why waste it. Milk doesn’t spoil in the freezer, it just might taste a little funny. Anything they can do to save tax dollars I am all for. If they don’t like the milk the schools are giving out then buy your own milk and problem solved. If they pay for the milk then they can complain if they are getting it from the tax payers then you get what we get.

33. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 1:00 pm

If it is a misprint then why risk it just through it all out and get new ones not really that hard to do ppl better to be safe then sorry doesn’t take a rocket scientist to come to this decision just throw it out and get new ones with the right date

34. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Maybe if the county would spend more money on its future, our children education we would not have problems like this!

35. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 1:34 pm

That’s part of the time stamp…just saying.

• Dewaine Phillips on April 5, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Yes it is part of the time stamp.

36. Corn Holio on April 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Really people? Get off of your high horse. Do you really think an institution like the SMCPS would maliciously hand out an out-of-date food/drink? I’m sure they would leave themselves open to a lawsuit. Grow up and tell your kids to stop lying. Your child may not be the “shining star” you thought they were.

37. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 1:54 pm

You all are morons. The milk is not old. Read the article. The woman obviously cover up the colon on purpose just to get attention.

38. Amy on April 5, 2016 at 2:07 pm

My 4 kids are in calvert county schools and they say the milk always taste’s spoiled and the food is nasty. I went to have lunch with them to check it out and I was shocked the amount of money we pay for lunches and it was just dry chicken a nasty fruit cup and a pack of graham crackers. I am definitely disgusted with the schools in many ways not just the lunch they serve.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:04 pm

So pack their lunch, problem solved.

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 4:13 pm

So you never did anything about it, but now that this non-story comes out you’re going to rides it’s coattails?

39. Amy on April 5, 2016 at 2:13 pm

My 4 children go to Calvert County Schools and they have told me several times the milk and fruit is bad. I went to the schools for lunch to check it out and I was shocked, their lunch was nasty dry chicken nuggets, a old fruit cup and a pack of graham crackers. The amount of Money we pay for our children to eat lunch is insain and for some children it might be th e only meal they have! I have lots of issues with the schools down here not just the lunch.

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm

And what have you actually DONE to address the ‘issues’ you have, besides vaguely mention them here?

• Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 4:05 pm

We heard you the first time.

40. onlyifyouknew on April 5, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Upset to see this. Although I know the girl who posted this and she likes to start trouble so I am sure she is the one who put the box around the date/time.

41. itsme on April 5, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Come on….. One year old milk? Do you think our schools would really serve one year old milk? The carton would have popped and busted open after a month.

Grow up people. Yes school lunches have gone down hill ever since the Obamas got involved but they would never sell old milk.

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 5:26 pm

It’s a epidemic that’s happening in all schools across St. Mary’s, everyday apparently. Yet this is the first we’re hearing about it. That’s odd.

42. SorrynotSorry on April 5, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Pretty sure Ms. Doran is CYA for the school sys and herself. I do not have kids in school, but if I did and this was me, I am pretty sure I would have contacted ALL the news stations and newspapers by now. I would absolutely draw attention to the issue. If it turns out there are no issues, no harm no foul. If there is something to it, then it needs to be investigated. Way more investigated than a statement from Ms. Doran.

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 5:25 pm

An investigation into what? The fact that the moron that thought was an issue was wrong?

• Anonymous on April 6, 2016 at 9:02 am

SorrynotSorry stated, “If there is something to it, then it needs to be investigated.”.

Read the whole post before commenting and you might not look like an idiot…but I doubt it.

• Keepin It Real on April 6, 2016 at 10:31 am

A statement has already been put out that there’s nothing to investigate. You think I give a damn what you or anyone else thinks about me? LOL

• Truth on April 7, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Yes, you do. Otherwise you wouldn’t have this uncontrollable reflex of replying to every response made after one of your ‘gazillion’ comments. First step, is admitting you have an addiction.

• Keepin It Real on April 7, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Entertainment=reflex? So what keeps YOU coming back here to reply to me?

• Sick of Dealers on April 5, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Agree. Why are we so quick to shame a mother (even if she is low income and under educated) for speaking up about a concern for the well-being of her kids? I’d say this mom is the one who should sue slanderous smcps employees. The thin green line is wearisome. You don’t just get to call all children liars and make some odd self-righteous claim simply because you work for some gvt educational entity. You kooky people do realize something other than an old date could be making this milk bad, right? Or not. But take a thorough look, please.

• Keepin It Real on April 6, 2016 at 10:32 am

Good luck with that lawsuit.

43. Chuckster on April 5, 2016 at 6:54 pm

The date on the milk carton is the last “Sell By” date. This is just like the date that you see on your cartons of milk, half gallons, and gallons of milk that you have in your homes right now. As long as it is refrigerated properly, milk will be ok to consume up to several days past that date. There is nothing magical about that date and milk will not expire at midnight on the date on the carton.

• Anonymous on April 6, 2016 at 9:26 am

“There is nothing magical about that date and milk will not expire at midnight on the date on the carton.”

Try and convince my wife of that…

44. anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I went to charles county public schools for 11 years, I was given old clumpy milk, fermented juice, they served molded fruit and old chicken.
    The food system is disgusting and that is why my kids pack their lunches.
    I went and ate lunch with my kids a few months ago and the milk the kids were drinking smelt horrible and was clumpy.
    When I approached the kitchen manager she had the audacity to say the milk was okay , then I told her to drink it and when she refused, I was like yeah , I wonder why you wont drink that nasty ish but you’ll serve it to these children.
    I did speak with my child’s Principal who had all the milk taken out of the bin for that day.
    But who knows how many days those kids drink that mess.
    Never will let my kids eat school lunch .

• John Cochran on April 6, 2016 at 5:08 am

Well, that’s what you get forgoing to upChuck County schools. Hope you learned your lesson.

• holy cow on April 7, 2016 at 9:51 am

Only 11 years of school? Based on all of the misspellings, hope you at least got your GED after quitting. I like milk but not that much.

• anaonymous II on April 9, 2016 at 4:20 pm

11 years in Charles County you cow. That doesn’t preclude the possibility of attending school in other jurisdictions. Does that make sense to you?

45. Anonymous on April 5, 2016 at 8:17 pm

illiterate fellow st mary’s county community.
    did they not notice the blue letters “SELL BY” right below the label?

46. paxxie on April 5, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Really people??!! Sure, lunches may not be great, but the system is not out to make your child sick or kill them!! What would that accomplish??? Maybe there should be just as much of a concern on negative behaviors in the classes and on the buses and trying to get students to succeed.

• Keepin It Real on April 5, 2016 at 10:26 pm

If you listen to some of these nut jobs, they think all the adults schools across St. Mary’s conspired to give kids expired milk. Not try and get money or anything valuable. Nope, we’re gonna give little Johnny bad milk!!1!

47. Dewaine Phillips on April 5, 2016 at 9:28 pm

I volunteer at an elementary school everyday just to be close to my grandchild and I can honestly tell you, I see more kids throwing away the food they bring from home than the school food, but if you are so sure the food is tainted and you love your kids so much, why not use your name in this and Sue the school or be sued, because that’s what’s going to happen, do you really think safe guards are not in place to prevent this type of stuff from happening, the real crime should be the way some of these parents are sending their kids to school, sending your kids to school in shorts on days like today, no jackets, head full of lice, yeah I’ve seen kids get off the bus and go straight to the nurses office because they were throwing up on the bus ride to school, parents knew they were sick but wanted that 20min of alone time before the nurse was calling them to come pick up their child from school, lady, who ever you are, you should be ashamed of yourself for starting this some what small fiasco, but then again, all your income tax money must be gone and your trying to get right for the summer, here is a suggestion, why don’t you home school your kids, wait my bad, then they would only get a 8th grade education.

48. Dewaine Phillips on April 5, 2016 at 11:41 pm

The real question should be, how come the milk can’t come from one of the local farms right here in the county..

• John Cochran on April 6, 2016 at 5:13 am

All of the old Dairy Farms are now housing developments (Clark’s Rest) and there are no more local Dairy Farms. Fail…..

49. Dewaine Phillips on April 5, 2016 at 11:46 pm

I’m from Louisiana,and my great grandfather use to tell us of a creature called the ru’ga’ru, he told us that it was a silly woman from St.Marys county Md.

50. Anonymous on April 6, 2016 at 5:34 am

Blah blah blah….

51. Grand Idea on April 6, 2016 at 8:37 am

So how about this parents…instead of relying on school to feed your children why don’t you get off of facebook or any other social media and pack them lunch yourselves? Better yet talk to the school and make arrangements to create a garden on school property? Too much time away from facebook but more time with children might help teach children to work for what they want not they are entitled to everything. A little dirt won’t hurt anyone…

52. ActuallyAStudent on April 6, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I go to high school the lunch is either too cold to eat under cooked or is yesterday’s left overs. The smcps educational system needs a better lunch program/ funding. The lunches are horrible and the juice is either frozen solid and you have to smush if up with you’re straw to get even a little sip and the “healthy” lunch choices sit there for days. It’s actually pretty disgusting & not nutritional at all. Just gonna leave this here for everyone commenting that doesn’t actually attend a school in smc.

• Anonymous on April 7, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Well, you sound like one who has not ‘trully’ been hungry.

• Roger on April 7, 2016 at 6:49 pm

For those of us that have and “survived,” perhaps you need to grow up and realize how nice you have it in the SMCPS. Go see how children in other parts of the world get lunch.

53. Lightning on April 7, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Sounds very familiar, Garrett County School System (abt 3 yrs ago) discarded many cartons (containing many individual small boxes) of USDA California Raisons discarded improperly based on dates on boxes! Seems the boxes (144 small boxes each carton) actually had packaging dates on them, not dates to be use by! They were being refrigerated by school dept. The boxes never actually reached the trash, but were “disposed of” to the local needy, but not via the School Dept! Yes,this was reported to both the GC School board head & later to the GC School food service mgr.