List of Potential Grocery Stores Closing in Southern Maryland

May 9, 2016

food lion giantAn industry trade paper on Monday, April 4, 2016,  published a list of 83 stores that it reported Ahold and Delhaize are seeking to sell as part of their forthcoming merger,

On March 14, 2016, shareholders of Ahold and Delhaize officially approved the merger of the two large European grocery chains setting the stage for a mid-year closing of the deal which was first announced on June 24, 2015.

Additionally, at its U.S, holdings, both chains are reportedly offering a combined 83 stores for sale in the Baltimore-Washington, Eastern Shore, Richmond (Central Virginia), Southern Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Lower Hudson Valley and Greater Boston markets.

Those stores would seemingly represent an overlap issue for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) which has yet to make its divestiture list public. See potential list below.

Potentially Overlapping Stores For Sale in Southern Maryland:

Food Lion

• 45315 Alton Lane, California
  • 20995 Point Lookout Road, Callaway
  • 19 St Mary’s Sqare, Lexington Park
  • 210 Harry Truman Road, Lusby
  • 750 Pr Frederick Blvd, Prince Frederick

Giant

• 7025 Berry Road, Accokeek
  • 200 Rosewick Road, La Plata

158 Responses to List of Potential Grocery Stores Closing in Southern Maryland

1. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 5:09 am

What did they say? What a worthless article.

• Keepin It Real on April 11, 2016 at 10:18 am

They haven’t said anything, hence the word potential in the article heading.

• Anonymous on April 19, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I don’t understand why you want to do away with stores that people like and shop at regularly. If there is money in it for somebody they don’t care about what other people would like or do like.

• Dan on May 6, 2016 at 6:35 pm

“Those stores would seemingly represent an overlap issue for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)”

They can legally only keep one in each area, or they run into anti-trust issues.

2. Corn Holio on April 11, 2016 at 6:11 am

Good thing that Aldi just opened for the yuppies that live in Wildewood. I can hear their cries from my office chair now……

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 9:55 am

I love Aldi’s….they always have great specials on fruits and veggies and their chocolate is to die for! Plus I save lots of $$$$$ yahoo

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:21 pm

The less you pay, the lower the quality of food I’m sure. That’s usually how it goes.

• Frank E.Reilly on April 11, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Do the research my friend, For most store products are made by the major companies, The store provides the containers and like most stores now they don’t have to advertise. The consumer saves plenty of money buying store brands. You want to end unemployment. Tell all stores that they need to build & hire people to make their store brands for all their products this will give everybody in this country a job.

• Manda on April 11, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I’ve had no issues with the Aldi food. It is by FAR the least expensive place for dairy, produce, and the canned goods I use. And the chocolate is an awesome bonus.

• Richard Bahlzack on May 7, 2016 at 9:32 am

And you can pee and crap in the bathroom of your choice. Just decide/change your sexual identity at moment the bowel movement urge presents. Are you the chatty type & wanna crap and gossip with the chics? no problem. Wanna pee next to other dudes and stare silently straight ahead at the wall (preferred method)? no problem. YAY, Hope and change, hope and change!

• Geehoo on April 12, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Actually, a large percentage of Adli’s food is organic, pesticide free and non gmo. And by the end of 2016, they plan on being a toe to toe competitor with Whole Foods.

• Anonymous on May 6, 2016 at 11:40 pm

They are the sister store of Trader Joe’s.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 11:38 am

Have you even BEEN to Aldi? If you have, you’d know that many items there are cheaper and just as good of a quality (and sometimes better) than the regular grocery stores. Maybe they are a little more basic and don’t have everything, but I’d rather pay $1.29 per pound for strawberries than $2, and get healthy food for a lot cheaper! DO YOUR RESEARCH. And yes, my husband and I are both college educated, which is something you obviously aren’t.

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Which also means that the food will most likely contain GMO, carcinogens, gluten, BPA, plastics and pesticides. Low prices do not equate to quality in most cases. A “college educated” person should be well aware of that but the choice is yours. It’s your body, your health and ultimately your choice.

• Tell you right on April 11, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Actually Aldi sells a lot of european brands that are gmo free because they are produced in europewhere food standard laws are stricter than in the us.

• somdntcrawler on May 7, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Stricter than the US? I seriously doubt that. They eat horse, cat, and dog in Europe! Been there, didn’t do that.

• Anonymous on May 16, 2016 at 10:35 am

No honey, they are definitely much stricter. We eat frog, squirrel, and alligator here. What’s your point?

• WouldntYaLike2Know on April 12, 2016 at 5:36 am

Just FYI, The Aldi’s label products are GMO free

• Keep it Real on April 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm

No it just doesn’t pay Union Wages you fool. No double time on Thansgiving Eve or Christmas Eve, not open and not giving out Triple Time Wages on Thanksgiving and Christmas like your prefered grocers Giant and Safeway. Your statement clearly show you may be college educated but not well versed in the real work. Now you’ll say well that’s great for the employees to have the Union job, but no, not so fast, who wants to work for a Company that makes you work on Thanksgiving and Christmas for the few stupuid people that didn’t know the holiday were coming and needed items, come on you got 12 months to prepared for both, why do you have to go to the grocery store those 2 Days of the year.

• yourmomenem on April 13, 2016 at 9:00 am

Grammer Yo! “…not well versed in the real work.” WORLD yo! Hows your medicine taste now!

• Brad on April 21, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Aldi does so well because of no overhead the store is small and only employees 3 people a shift. Also they make you pack your own groceries. All the generic food is from UK as well. Non Union may be a factor as well. The owners are the same owners as trader joes its 2 daughters from UK.

• Keepin It Real on May 7, 2016 at 1:23 am

Are the 2 daughters hot at least?

• Anne on May 8, 2016 at 8:21 am

Giant doesn’t pay double and triple time anymore. That was for the people who had worked there more than 30 years. Those people were offered special retirement packages and buyouts to leave. Now nobody gets that. Giant and Safeway are awful places to work. I have worked for one of them for years

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 12:50 pm

One gains more knowledge through experience than through a liberal indoctrination class called college.

• Dennis on April 12, 2016 at 8:04 am

I absolutely agree

• Jack Hughes on April 20, 2016 at 7:25 am

Absolutely true and I love it!!

• SOMDs_Finest on May 7, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Yea man! That entire “education” thing is one big scam if you ask me.

Have fun working retail.

• Keepin It Real on April 11, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I was with you until you threw out the “college educated” line. That statement reeks of ego and entitlement.

• curiosity on April 12, 2016 at 6:31 pm

COLLEGE LIVES MATTER!!

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm

So true..

• Toni on April 11, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Aldies is a German grocer with very high standards. I have found items there that I find at Wegmans who also have very high standards. The cereals are better than what you find at Giant and much less expensive. Meat, milk and eggs are purchased from the local area to keep them fresh and help the economy. Their salted caramel ice cream is to die for, my favorite. Haven’t found it anywhere else. They always have some top shelf cheese, another good item. I shop there and Wegmans and yes I have several degrees. I enjoy good wholesome food and fair prices.

• Jo on April 11, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I DO MY REsearch and I love Aldi’s :) It’s owned by Trader Joes by the way…. the only thing you have to watch is portions are smaller in some items. Their produce and most of their products are organic.. If you havent been in Aldi’s trust me, you need to go. I was raised by a mom who would not eat anything that didnt come from the Giant. It took me a long while and a lot or research to even walk into Aldi’s. :) I am so glad I did.. Haters are going to hate and that’s ok, the stores are small so stay the hell out and let us smart people shop in peace :)

• Bobby on April 12, 2016 at 9:25 am

What makes you more smart? Is it because you think you make more money than me? How many years did you serve the greatest country on earth? I would love to wipe my butt with your precious degree. It’s nothing more than expensive toilet paper.

• Keepin It Real on April 13, 2016 at 11:18 am

Jealousy rears it’s ugly head.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Does that make you smarter? Not!!

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 2:57 pm

wait…yuppies shop at the discount grocery store? or do you just not know what an Aldi’s is?

• Barry on April 11, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Yuppies that live in Wildewood – that’s a good one. More like gangstas. Wildewood is a fool’s paradise.

• Anonymous on May 6, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Ugh, I can’t imagine even living in St. Mary’s at all these days. I’ll take Calvert even with the bridge traffic any day.

• Smokey Bear on April 11, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Yuppies? What year is it? 1985?

• Anonymous on April 12, 2016 at 8:47 am

Aldi’s cheap nasty food.

• Charla Bell on April 19, 2016 at 11:56 pm

They can have that store it was a waste of my time..It was more like a dollar store. No thank you!

• Picky Shopper on May 11, 2016 at 7:12 pm

I don’t like Aldi’s. Tried the one in Brandywine several times. I feel like I’m shopping in a bargain basement. Couldn’t find most of the items I went there for. Not extremely happy with any of the local food chains. Over the last 5 years the quality of fresh fruits and vegetables has declined in ALL the local south county stores.

• That guy on May 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

You’re a moron. Aldi is a less expensive alternative to big box grocery stores. It’s perfect for those that live on a budget. You can by quality food for far less than giant, food lion, or any other store in some. You shouldn’t comment if your ignorance is greater than your intellect. Those yuppies you speak of were more than likely college kids at one point or another and we’re just happy to be able to fill their fridge for 50$. Now they just know the brand and continue to shop. You make fun, but I’m confident that they have a smaller grocery bill than you. Ponder that while in your desk chair mighty cornholio. Go find some TP for your bunghole to.

• Cornholio on May 12, 2016 at 6:07 am

Not sure what you are trying to say, but thanks for playing!

3. James on April 11, 2016 at 6:52 am

If the sales of these stores go through, what does it mean for those who shop there?

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:45 am

Obviously they will have to shop somewhere else

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 11:04 am

I work for food lion in pg county md n from what was told to me at first, was they will place who they can. A few weeks later I hear that are ARE NOT placing anyon. N that was said to me by management .

• Old Yeller on April 11, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Wow, reading that gave me a headache.

• Dan on May 6, 2016 at 6:37 pm

“I work for food lion”

Did you expect Shakespeare?

• Alphonso on May 6, 2016 at 2:52 pm

You must stock shelves by looking at the picture on the product.

• Dan on April 11, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Obviously those people will starve, James.

4. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 7:00 am

Peebles, now Food Lion- can we finally tear down St. Mary’s Square and redevelop it properly?

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Sure, we can do that but YOU will be paying for it. How’s that sound?

• anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 6:38 pm

No point when the surounding area sucks.

• big block on May 7, 2016 at 8:10 pm

really sucks

• Anonymous on April 12, 2016 at 8:49 am

Peebles is still there… its now a “Peebles Discount Center”, basically all the sale cloths that don’t sell end up here.

5. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 7:47 am

FTC sees as potential problem, people will lose jobs but allowed overlaps of CVS stores in our region. Doesn’t make sense.

6. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 8:15 am

If foodlion in Prince Frederick were to close I would need to drive 30 mins to the next foodlion store which I will not do. I believe this is a mistake.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:00 am

Isn’t there a gaint across the road?

• GARY on April 11, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Yup

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 12:43 pm

The Lusby one is on this list too, Solomons store would be the closest.

• Mike in King George, VA on April 11, 2016 at 10:48 pm

There is a Food Lion in Charlotte Hall in northern St. Mary’s County.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 2:28 pm

yes but i think their prices are crazy!

7. Mike on April 11, 2016 at 8:34 am

Not the Callaway Food Lion!! Noooo!

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Yeap it’s up for sale.

8. Rebecca cornett on April 11, 2016 at 8:39 am

What’s going to happen to the employees of the closing stores?

• Jeff Dixon on April 11, 2016 at 11:06 am

As a union employee, I was transferred to another store. So I would guess, all affected Giant employees would be transferred to another nearby Giant.

I have no clue if Food Lion has the same policy.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 1:42 pm

I wasn’t aware that these stores were the only form of employment in the area. It isn’t, oh then they can go find jobs some ware else I guess. That is the great thing about this area, there is always work for people who are willing to work and have a good work ethic. For those that just do the minimum, they might be in trouble.

9. mary lechner on April 11, 2016 at 8:42 am

Sorry about Food Lion best store in Lusby at least I can afford to go there now I will have to drive further..

• Emma on April 11, 2016 at 10:57 am

Agree giant is to expensive and u cant get the deals like foodlion

• Frannie on April 19, 2016 at 6:45 pm

I am with you. I love the Food Lion in Lusby. Far cheaper than the Giant across the street. I will not be happy if they close. Should close the Solomons one. It’s dirty all the time.

10. Needfood on April 11, 2016 at 8:59 am

Food Lions on Great Mills and the one in Callaway!!?? Where the hell are the people who live in Callaway, southern great mills, valley Lee, and south of base going to have to go to get groceries?? Seems rather dumb to me to close both maybe one or the other. I would prefer that neither close hate the fact that people will lose jobs etc!

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Yeah. That’s going to cause all sorts of problems between Lexington Park, Great Mills and Callaway. Imagine how bad it will be for the people who don’t drive.

• Keepin It Real on April 11, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Sucks to be them then.

• Geehoo on April 12, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Really. I grew up in Drayden, and the closest supermarkets were the Safeway on great mills Rd and the A&P in San Suci Plaza. Or if you were military, the Commissary on base. And if you didn’t have a car, you pretty much walked.

11. Lisa Moreland on April 11, 2016 at 9:18 am

If you close all the Food Lion’s in St. Mary’s County you will be hurting everyone, especially in Lexington Park. Food Lion is the only grocery store in the Park since McKay’s closed.

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:42 pm

You think they care? In business, you’re trained to not care about anything but the money. Money, acquisitions and PR.

• Keepin It Real on April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm

You mean companies care about making money? What?!

• Anonymous on April 12, 2016 at 6:11 am

People have always said money is the root of all evil. It really sucks. I guess there will be more crime when all those people lose their jobs.

• Keepin It Real on April 13, 2016 at 11:19 am

Is that why churches always ask for money, because it’s the root of all evil?

• Dan on May 6, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Call the FTC. They’re the reason the stores are closing. It’s not about profit. It’s about avoiding anti-trust charges.

12. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 9:43 am

Interesting… there doesn’t appear to be a Food Lion in Lusby at the address provided.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:06 am

It’s on H.G. Truman Rd

• rvjaso on April 11, 2016 at 10:29 am

I’s actually H.G. Trueman Rd

• Truth Hurts on April 11, 2016 at 10:43 am

The street number maybe wrong BUT there is a Food Lion in Lusby on HG Trueman.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:57 am

Is it the one in Dowell?

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 11:55 am

Try H G Truman Rd. Lusby. I believe that there are 2 Food Lion Stores along H. G. Truman Rd. in the Lusby area.

• Anon on April 11, 2016 at 11:58 am

I think that was supposed to be the address of the newer one on H.G. Trueman Road but yeah that address is showing some houses and a church. No Food Lion there.

13. Greg on April 11, 2016 at 9:54 am

I didnt know HG Truman Road in Lusby was named after Harry Truman… I thought it was HG Truman, the Maryland Senator….

14. RJ on April 11, 2016 at 9:55 am

They need to close the Giant at Livingston Square in Ft.Washington it’s some trash the only store not to be renovated while every other Giant has been fixed up We pay to much in taxes to have this type of shotty service. Accokeek needs to stay

• Joy on April 11, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Completely agree. Not to mention it’s an even smaller Giant than the Accokeek store. I’m sad about the Accokeek one possibly closing because I live on 228 and prefer to go away from Waldorf…way less crowded.

• Glob on May 6, 2016 at 7:07 pm

You’re a complete retard. Grocery stores are private businesses and have nothing to do with public tax dollars. You’re so stupid, it makes my head hurt.

15. Unbelievable on April 11, 2016 at 9:59 am

I refuse to shop at Giant in Lusby. They will most definitely lose my Business, even if I have to drive a little out of my way. Hopefully another food chain will come in and take their place. Big companies don’t think about the people that live in the towns. This will cause more unemployment in our area. Shame on them.

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Yep. Businesses mostly operate on greed. They all claim to put the customer first when that’s obviously the biggest lie that every service-based company tells.

• Joy on April 11, 2016 at 2:33 pm

It’s not stated in this article, but I heard Kroger is buying some of these stores.

• Leanne on April 11, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I would love to see Kroger come to the area! I’ve been in a few in Ohio and they were by far better than anything we have here!

• Joy on April 12, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Yes, I agree Leanne!
          Also, produce at Mom’s Organic Market in Waldorf is very good…they just tend to be a bit more expensive sometimes.

• Anonymous on May 9, 2016 at 8:29 pm

wwish we could get a Publix market or a Harris Tweeter.

16. sandy cowan on April 11, 2016 at 10:14 am

Why the Lusby store. Giant is so darn high priced. A lot of people cant afford to shop there.Now drive further to a F.
    ood Lion

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 8:23 pm

It’s only an extra 5 minutes to the Solomons Food Lion? Why is this such a big deal if you have a vehicle or some other mode of transportation? Others would travel more than 45 minutes. 5 minutes is nothing.

• Anonymous on May 6, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Having a food lion in Lusby with one in Solomons is stupid anyway, I’ve always thought it was idiotic. They should have out that food lion in St. Leonard.

17. LJ on April 11, 2016 at 10:18 am

The Giant on Rosewick in La Plata just opened a little bit ago for crying out loud. Close some of the damn CVSs or Walgreens.

18. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:28 am

Safeway in La Plata should be happy with this, La Plata’s Food Lion is a mess.

• Keep it Real on April 12, 2016 at 8:39 pm

another place where all the ignorant people shop and destroy every aisle all the time, can’t go into some of these places, who tears stuff up, in a store, ppl can’t return there carts, its like wth?, who bore you because i want to talk to her, because some ppl clearly have no home training, they sure shop at Waldorf Walmart!

19. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:34 am

Please do not close the Giant on Berry Road. It is essential to Accokeek, Md. The closes one is in Ft Washington which needs serious renovation. New developments are coming and that store will be a great need in that area. I am a dedicated Giant shopper. New to that area. Thanks

20. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:44 am

I would hate to see the Rosewick Giant close. It serves many of the senior citizens who reside in the adjacent Washington Square development. I sincerely hope that decision will be reconsidered.

21. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:52 am

I don’t care if they close the Foodlions down. I prefer shopping for my groceries at Walmart in California. They’re way cheaper.

• LtownTaxpayer on April 11, 2016 at 10:31 pm

You should care. There will be more people shopping at the grocery stores remaining which means longer lines and more chances to not have the item in stock that you want.

22. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:52 am

The great merger of Giant and Foodlion! The took A&P from us so now they will leave Safeway.

23. Jamie on April 11, 2016 at 10:56 am

• cheryl on April 11, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Not every Walmart has a complete grocery section. Thats mostly in the South. But any market closing as potential for disaster. Corporations don’t care anymore. And yes, way too many drugstores being built across the street from each other,

24. Ann on April 11, 2016 at 11:12 am

Last time I was at the Food Lion in Lusby, someone was vomiting in the isle, *the last time…need my Lusby Giant

• Tell You What on April 11, 2016 at 12:54 pm

“Vomiting in the isle”……”Cleanup needed on aisle 6!” HA HA HA!

• Autumn's Mom on April 12, 2016 at 2:52 pm

“Cleanup needed on aisle 6!” Hahahahahahahaaha…. I needed that! (still laughing)

25. Sam Wilton's fav on April 11, 2016 at 11:25 am

Walmart everyday low price lol

• Grandma2 on April 11, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Part of the reason for the closing is because of walmart . Walmart does not pay very good wages.And the rest of the stores except for food lion is union.our wages are not great but it is good. Newer contacts have been reducing benefits to try to compete against them .which is causing store closin

• Keepin It Real on April 11, 2016 at 7:00 pm

This is Walmart’s fault? LOL

• werwe on April 12, 2016 at 9:12 am

Working in a grocery store, McDs etc is not meant to be a living wage. Walmart pays more than most of the grocery and retail chains around here anyway.

26. Ed on April 11, 2016 at 11:25 am

This is the end results when our government destroys the mom and pop grocery stores.

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I think you are confused” Walmart put the mom and Pop stores out of business.

• KeepinItReal on April 11, 2016 at 2:29 pm

I never knew the entire government shopped at mom and pop groceries. I was under the impression that you, me, and other local customers failed to pay that little extra to keep these shops in business and instead, went to Walmart for cheaper prices.

It’s not the government’s fault… it’s yours, mine, and every other customer. Can’t cry about it now!

27. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 11:27 am

Scan we get a Wegmans?

28. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 11:30 am

Extremely misleading article. These stores are up for sale and can’t remain as Food Lions because of the corporate holdings of the company. One company can not have a monopoly on your food supply. I would imagine if the business volume makes sense, another company will open in their place.

• Keepin It Real on April 11, 2016 at 12:52 pm

The article says they’re for sale in the first sentence…….

29. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 11:33 am

There is a lusby food lion but I think the address is wrong. Closing that one is going to drive everyone in the area nuts. I prefer there more then Giant tbh

30. ME on April 11, 2016 at 11:37 am

PEOPLE…..Read the article…. It says they are seeking to be SOLD… Not shut down. Shut down would be a last resort because they would loose money. If they are sold they would at least get something out of the deal.

31. Autumn's Mom on April 11, 2016 at 11:42 am

Hopefully some of the unfortunate people losing jobs in the Lex Park area will be able to find work at Harris Teeter. HT’s higher prices will not help my budget(frown), but they great variety! Giant has been going downhill the last few years. Maybe other grocery companies will come in. I love Publix – who’ve just opened their first store in Virginia. Maybe Trader Joe’s will come to town. We can’t afford Whole Foods… Their prices are ridiculous. Sad to hear the Callaway Food Lion might close. It’s a nice neighborhood grocery with “regulars” who’ve been shopping their for years. It’s the only option for people headed up and down on Rt. 5 in the general area. Boooooo…

32. Carol on April 11, 2016 at 11:51 am

I will really miss having the Giant in LaPlata and will not ever shop at the one in Waldorf which is 45 min. away. The Giant in LaPlata is clean, staff is very helpful and the area is safe unlike Waldorf. The Food Lion is not a store or company that can begin to replace the Giant. Terrible loss if it goes thru. Do away with the Food Lion instead!

33. Good Food on April 11, 2016 at 12:13 pm

At least a Harris Teeter is coming to California

34. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 1:37 pm

The Food Lion in California is so convenient and the staff always friendly. I dislike Giant. The parking lot is impossibly crowded — as are the aisles in Giant. I wish these corporations and the Federal Government would discontinue thinking they know what is best for the general public.

35. Jennifer Case on April 11, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I’m glad to see only one of the two Lusby foodlions ate set to close.

• Daily Geography Lesson on April 11, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Fun fact, there’s only one in Lusby, the other one is in Solomons. Like CVS, Burger King, and McDonald’s.

36. ME on April 11, 2016 at 2:54 pm

VERY POOR HEADLINE…Nowhere in the article does it say that these stores have the potential to be closed… It says they are seeking to sell them.

• Roger on April 11, 2016 at 9:37 pm

While I’m not a fan of SMNEWSNWT, I can’t believe all of these people fail to understand that….

37. patricia harrod on April 11, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I think it’s crazy to close all the food lions in Lexington park since they have closed most of the Mckays food stores most people are on a certain budget and can’t afford the Giant Store and what will happen to the people who needs these jobs. Who are in these positions making these crazy decisions. I have shopped at the foodlion stores for most of my life will be sorry to see them go in the Lexington park. I do hope that they will put something back in those areas where people can shop on a reasonable budget.

• wow on May 7, 2016 at 5:46 am

Wonder if a petition will help?

38. Penny on April 11, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Removing the Food Lion from Callaway will mean thousands of people will have to drive on a two-lane road for MILES to get to the nearest grocery store. The Food Lion in California competes with Giant, and Shopper’s, so there is a possibility to close that one down without affecting the population. Please keep the Food Lion in Callaway as we have NO OTHER store nearby without driving miles.

• Corn Holio on April 13, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Thousands? Really? BTW, it’s a proposed sale. This doesn’t mean that they are going to close the store down. One more thing; the people that are working this proposed sale are not listening to your plead on some small town internet website.

39. Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Why not the Food Lion in Leonardtown instead of the one in Callaway…the Leonardtown store is extremely outdated. Especially compared to the McKay’s next door

• Anonymous on April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm

The Leonardtown location is actually one of the highest in terms of both sales and customer satisfaction in our area. The store may not be new, yet it is well managed and product is always fresh. I live in Lexington Park and drive past all other grocery stores between here and Leonardtown to do my shopping.

40. Gmama on April 11, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Aldi’s is most certainly a nice store for certain items (veg., fruit, canned items etc.). Their prices are affordable. I shop affordable and sensible and not to empress or compare myself to the Jones’ (so to speak).

41. rinbr on April 11, 2016 at 10:33 pm

I go to the commissary at Andrews even though it’s a little bit of a hike from where I live. The area groceries are only for a few items the commissary might not have or be out of. I tried the Giant, Safeway, even Food Lion thing and it was crazy how much higher they were in comparison to going on base. I can tolerate a little bit of a hike in my grocery bill for the sake of convenience but I was like FORGET THIS.

42. Candles on April 12, 2016 at 6:04 am

It seems the Food Lion in Solomons will stay open. It’s just a couple miles down route 4 from lusby

43. Kat on April 12, 2016 at 7:33 am

You people don’t understand basic economics. If this very large company is liquidating these locations due to store saturation, because they don’t want to compete with their own stores and dilute their own business, the likelihood of -anyone- acquiring these locations is somewhere around 0%.

You better hope someone like McKays buys the Callaway store. Because that’s about the only one worth saving in St Mary’s.

44. Steve on April 12, 2016 at 9:30 am

Hey when Bernie Sanders and his stooges get elected we all will have the commie breads lines so cheer up no stores just Comrade Bernie’s Bread Emporiums.

45. ED on April 12, 2016 at 9:40 am

Just give us a Wegmans and all our problems will be solved. Lol.

46. deej on April 12, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Growing up, Giant is where my parents shopped. That’s all I knew. Now that I am a senior on a very fixed income, I flat out can’t afford Giant. But I won’t settle for ‘off brands’. I’ll do without first. If Giant and Food Lion merge, that means Food Lions prices will go up because Giants sure aren’t going to come down! Guess I’d better acquire a taste for cat food!

• Keepin It Real on April 13, 2016 at 11:20 am

So you’re old but never grew up mentally. Got it.

• Mia Wallace on April 19, 2016 at 8:08 pm

rice and beans is good enough for Dave Ramsey and cheaper than Fancy Feast.

47. Michelle Lockard on April 19, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I love my food lion in Lusby! I don’t shop the Giant Lusby often because everything is out of date often and they’re too expensive. Giant does sales when stuff is going out of date the next day. Food lion doesn’t do this that I’ve observed.

48. Danielle Williams on April 20, 2016 at 8:10 am

If they close the food lion in the square, there would no longer be security in the square. The food lion in Lexington park square shopping center is the only grocery store for miles in Lexington park. Closing it would create a food desert in Lexington park which would in turn lead to more poverty and crime. All of these would just put more strain on the saint Mary’s Sheriff deprtment, and don’t they have enough problems? There is no police department in Lexington park, but there are tons of criminals. Closing the food lion in Lexington park square shopping center would just display a serious disregard for the sheriff’s office and the the officers who are working in this area.

49. Danielle Williams on April 20, 2016 at 8:36 am

This area is so poor, the only people paying taxes here are the few with Jobs not in the military. This state has like 12 bases and the people living here pay taxes to their home state. People who can’t work on bases, are left to compete with military spouses for the other jobs, and many employers offer military spousal prefrence. Leaving even fewer job opportunities. Its really disgusting when people in a position of privilege are the ones making the decisions to make life even harder for the already struggling. If the plan is to better this area only close stores located on three notch. That whole strip is nothing but food, and help the workers get new jobs so they won’t have to live on unemployment.

50. cws on April 20, 2016 at 9:18 pm

I would rather see the Giants close than the Food Lion. Giant’s prices are like grocery shopping at 7-11, especially the meats and deli. I only go to Giant for specific sales items about 3 times a year. Food lion is where I stock up on frozen veggies and canned goods on sale. The rest I buy at Nicks of Calvert, where the exact same Boars Head deli stock is $3 to $4 cheaper per pound and the meats are cut to order by butchers and less expensive. Fresh crabmeat is about half the price of Giant’s (always).

51. Anonymous on May 6, 2016 at 1:50 pm

ALDI’s is cheaper if you prefer off brands and less of selections, I go to Giant they offer double coupons plus gas rewards. just a personal choice

• Keepin It Real on May 6, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Fascinating. Riveting tale chap.

52. Marc'O on May 6, 2016 at 7:28 pm

First of all, Giant blows! I’d rather to Wal-Mart and stand in line. Also, the cashiers are just as rude at Giant. I can get bad service at a cheap price at Walfart.

• Anonymous on May 6, 2016 at 9:55 pm

It’s a good thing you have all these stores to choose from. Otherwise you’d really have something to complain about.

53. Henry B on May 9, 2016 at 10:23 am

Commissioner Morgan is “worried” about the people of Lexington Park. Well I wonder how many people that shop at the Great Mills Road Food Loin supported Mr. Morgan in his campaign? Do you shop there Mr. Morgan? Bet you don’t. What a joke he has become. Give it up, it will take more than a grocery store and brick pavers to bring the Great Mills Road corridor back. When I’m driving 15+ miles to but groceries, I’ll be sure to consider Mr. Morgan on the next ballot.