Some Clerks Will No Longer Perform Civil Ceremonies

December 28, 2012

pride flag St. Mary’s County, Clerk of the Court, Joan W. Williams, in a statement to the media, said some of her clerks will no longer perform civil ceremonies. Williams stated in the Washington Examiner, “that some of her employees are opposed to gay marriage for religious reasons. As a result, she decided those deputy clerks won’t perform any marriages as a way of respecting their beliefs and will be assigned other duties.”

After contacting the Clerk of the Court’s Office and being referred to the Judicial Administrative – Communications & Public Affairs Office for the Judiciary, spokesperson, Terri Bolling stated, “There is no judiciary-wide policy allowing Clerks or Deputy Clerks to opt-out of performing same sex marriages.”

Bolling also stated “that in St. Mary’s County, applications for same sex marriages will begin being accepted on Jan. 2 and that the first ceremonies will be performed on Jan. 4. The acceptance and performance of same sex marriage applications and ceremonies will vary depending on the specific situation for each Circuit Court, i.e., computer reprogramming, paperwork tracking procedures, etc.

“Since there is no judicial-wide policy in effect allowing Clerks or Deputy Clerks to opt-out, it will be looked into by the Human Resources and Legal Departments and that investigation will decide how to handle this situation. There may have to be a policy created to address this”, said Bolling.

She emphasized that same sex marriage applications are being accepted and ceremonies will be performed regardless of the personal beliefs of Clerks and Deputy Clerks.

Carrie Evans of Equality Maryland, a gay rights group, says “there appears to be nothing discriminatory about changing which deputy clerks perform marriages.

• In Charles County, civil ceremonies are performed Monday thru Friday from 8:30 am to 4 pm (excluding holidays). The fee is $25.00 cash only and an appointment is required. For an appointment call 301-932-3308.
  • In Calvert County, civil ceremonies are performed Monday thru Friday from 9 am to 4 pm (except holidays). The fee is $25.00 cash or money order and an appointment is required. For an appointment call 410-535-1600 ext 2269.
  • In St. Mary’s County, civil ceremonies are performed 2 pm to 3 pm Monday thru Friday (excluding holidays). The fee is $25.00 cash or money order and an appointment is needed. For an appointment call 301-475-7844 ext 4563 or 4576.

This article originally went up with the incorrect title of “Some Clerks Say They Will No Longer Perform Civil Ceremonies” The correct title is “Some Clerks Will No Longer Perform Civil Ceremonies” The incorrect title was up for up for less than 10 minutes, we sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

69 Responses to Some Clerks Will No Longer Perform Civil Ceremonies

1. Toni on December 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm

So, if enough clerks in St. Marys decide Marriage Equality is against their beliefs and that they won’t perform the marriages, there would be a longer wait for the people who have waited so long already. I would be happy to volunteer my time if that were possible.

2. Anonymous on December 28, 2012 at 4:42 pm

If they don’t want to perform their duties then maybe they shhould find another job.

• Anonymous on December 28, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Thank you.

3. anon on December 28, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Other employment ooportunties may be on their horizon. And if any one pushes they should not have to do this, then HR people could opt out of insurance changes, it family leaces approval when couples (even male/female) need leave. Fire them and move on. It is their job.

4. Barbra Jo on December 28, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Since when did county governments start allowing it’s employees to pick & choose which duties they perform?

If performing marriage ceremonies is a normal duty of the job, then you do what you are paid to do! If you are conflicted due to religious reasons, then you resign!

But allowing employees to dictate which duties they will & won’t do, is completely unacceptable!

• Anonymous on December 28, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thank you!!

• Lawdog20636 on December 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

When did the Government decide that Chruch and State are no longer seperate.

5. Rob on December 28, 2012 at 5:06 pm

This is disgraceful that county clerks refuse to uphold the law and still have jobs. I thought Maryland was making progress in equality, but Southern Maryland is still stuck in the stone age.

6. Anon2 on December 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm

The people they refuse to serve pay their salaries. They should resign if they feel that strongly about not performing their duties.

7. jimmy on December 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Adam and Steve will have a hard time more ways then one

• Kris on December 29, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’m straight and have been married for 15 years. My step sister is gay and will be getting married this year. I waited in line for an hour and a half to get to vote for her right to get married–and have the same rights I already have. I apologize for the ignorance based fear an discrimintation the GLBT community has had to endure. It seems there are those who are still hell bent on making sure that those who seem “different” from themselves, in some way, continue to have fewer rights, in society. BUT history shows us that those people, who try to hold on to their status quo power, at the expense of others, don’t win out.

8. Lee on December 28, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Gotta love separation of church and State. If they hear that I believe in evolution, will I have to shop around for a clerk? Leave records better show these same people refuse to work on ALL religious days .If they were /are in the office on Good Friday…busted!

9. Sue on December 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm

If it is against their religious beliefs, then it seems that the county has worked out a way to still marry gays but allow those who disagree, to perform other duties besides that. There are enough clerks to handle the few same-sex marriages here…Seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

• Anonymous on December 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

I agree. I don’t exactly see the problem. When they took the job they didn’t know that it would eventually mean they had to marry gay couples. If they did then I’m sure they wouldn’t have taken it. Doesn’t seem fair that they should be forced to do something that they don’t believe in, just because someone else does.

• Anonymous on December 31, 2012 at 7:29 am

So are you saying that that should be an interview question for future clerks? And should that be a deal-breaker as to whether they get the job? That’s when it’s going to become a problem.

• Anonymous on January 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm

If they want to do it then fine. I’m saying, when they took the job gay marriage was not legal in the state of Maryland. Now the laws have been changed and it coincides with their moral beliefs. While it may be their job, they didn’t know that when accepting. I think it’s fair the county is finding other jobs for them.

• Anonymous on January 2, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Thank you!!

10. ron scott on December 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Good, glad to see a County using a common sense approach to solve a problem.

11. JPR on December 28, 2012 at 6:55 pm

If I refuse to serve a gay couple at my job, I wouldn’t be employed for very long. It boggles the mind that public servants are able to practice this type of discrimination and get away with it.

Here’s a newsflash for you people: you’re not in church, you’re not at home, you’re at work and the job is no place for your personal crap. If you can’t deal with same sex couples getting married, then you need to find yourself a new job.

• Anonymous on December 28, 2012 at 10:38 pm

JPR, True-er words have never been spoken!

• dude on January 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Somehow I am sure you have skated out on duties at your job and shoved them off on others. This is no different. Think about this the next time your ass is late or takes a long lunch and sneak in without being noticed. You are no better than anyone else. If you don’t like the ruling maybe you should apply for the job. I for one feel they should be re-assigned and keep their jobs since this was not in the cards when hired. Actually the whole thing makes me sick and jesus is watching those who choose the wrong path in life.JS

• Kelly on January 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm

That is the problem with this world. Most people “act” one way in church and another way in life. A true Christian is going to uphold their beliefs whether they are in church or at work. We do not judge others for what they do with their lives, but we have the same right to stand up for what we believe in just as a gay couple has the right to stand up for what they believe in. Nobody has the right to judge another, but Christians should not be repremanded for standing up for their beliefs either. We are ALL created equal and we need to treat each other as such. God Bless you all!

12. pizzaman on December 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I wait for brother and sister or a foursome. Welcome to st sodom

13. ProudKracker on December 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Good for those clerks!!!

14. Anonymous on December 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm

As long as the ceremonies take place, who cares who does it? St. Mary’s only performs them an hour a day anyway. This is still a controversial topic for some. Can’t people just be happy they are being married and shut up about not everyone agreeing with it?

• Anonymous on December 29, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thank you! I agree completely!

15. Anonymous on December 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

So if the janitors at the Clerk’s Office no longer like to clean the toilet will they be reassigned to a different position?

This is outrageous. Government employees are pretty well taken care of in terms of job security, wages, benefits and retirement.

If they don’t like their job, there is nothing stopping them from finding another one and let someone that is less judgmental take their place. The whole idea of ‘reassigning them” is unbelievable. They have the freedom to find another job if their ‘religious beliefs’ prevent them from doing their job. They are not so offended that they leave their cushy government jobs in order to honor their religious beliefs.

The government passed the law that makes same sex marriage legal in MD. Go work for the private sector and see what type of wage, benefit and retirement you are offered.

• Anonymous on December 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

First off.. That office is a state office not a county office. Secondly, the clerks office employees in the license dept. Get paid less than anyone else in the clerks office. If there are other people there to perform the ceremonies than it shouldn’t be a big deal that others don’t want to perform the ceremony. This is a completely different situation than a janitor not wanting to clean a toilet.

• mrcounty on December 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

You are wrong. The Office of the Clerk, in St. Marys County Circuit Court, is a county Office. The District Court for State of Maryland is a state court. People are hired and told what to do. If they don’t do the other duties as assigned, they need to look for a new job. So, I think an impeachment is in order for the elected clerk of the ciruit court, joanie williams!! Looks like her big backwards redneck mouth has gotten her in trouble. My god, they work at the place which enforces the laws of the land here and they don’t want to do something that is now legal! They all need to go! Too many others who would love to have a job with benefits. Bunch of cackling hens gossiping about changes that have arrived and running their mouths! Shut up and work or resign!!

• somethingtothinkabout on January 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I believe from my knowledge and experience,the clerks in this office ARE proud STATE employees who work hard everyday to provide courteous service and portray respectful behavior to the public. The department of the office that deals most closely with the marriage applicants is actually primarily funded through fees collected from land document fees, marriage application/license fees and business license fees. They do much more than just the marriage ceremonies and they perform all of those duties with care for the dignity and respect for their customers. The quoted statements in the article may have been misconstrued to suit the argument for or against same-sex marriages and correct me if I am wrong; our vice-president has a tendency to “mis-speak” often too and he was re-elected and it seems allowed to keep his job.

• Anonymous Also on December 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm

As a government employee who has contact with the public, your job has certain responsibilities. If your religious beliefs don’t permit fulfilling a responsibility, you are not a fit for that job and should be let go.
      As a private sector employee who has contact with the public, your job has certain responsibilities. If your religious beliefs don’t permit fulfilling a responsibility, you are not a fit for that job and would be let go.

16. JJ on December 28, 2012 at 11:46 pm

OUTSTANDING!!!

17. SEB on December 29, 2012 at 8:23 am

Its amazing how the “progressives” don’t want religion, (Let me correct this, CHRISTIANITY, they dont seem to have a problem with “women beating and torture” religious Muslims). But the moment someone opposes THEIR point of view, ITS AN OUTRAGE! Grow up. I applaud the supervisor for finding a simple resolution. If Progressives don’t like something, you run around screaming your head off and attacking everyone in opposition. It’s called respect, I am sure these clerks are not at the window calling you names or insulting you in public. Just because someone does not accept your opinion or same values or outlook, they shouldnt be attacked or prosecuted, its called FREEDOM.

• mrcounty on December 31, 2012 at 10:23 am

Freedom in your personal life is your right. You DO NOT HAVE THE right to be employed by a government agency and pick and choose your tasks based on your personal feelings. Suppose some of the law clerks are allowed to preform their court room duties based on their person beliefs and likes/dislikes. Such as if the clerk is a praticing Christian and a Jew is on trail. Are they going to be allowed to say “I cannot be clerk in the court today because that guy is a Jew and doesn’t believe in the same religion I believe in”. Or if a clerk is a vegitarian and someone is on trial for stealing beef from a store. Is the clerk going to be allowed to say “I just can’t stand to sit in the court when they are talking about meat. I am a vegitarian and it is against my beliefs”. So it is not okay for them to say ” I don’t believe in gay marraige so I refuse to be the clerk in their ceremonies”. Allowing them to pick and choose is allowing the Clerk of the Court to discriminate against the public. If she would have kept her mouth shut, no one would know how closed minded they are, but because we now know it really pisses me off that employees would even be allowed to feel they can speak up to refuse to do their jobs in the first place. And like you, I am sure the clerks are not name calling or being rude either, it is now in the open how they really feel. I hope every gay couple in the state of maryland come to St. Mary’s to be married. I hope our court is the new gay mecca on the east coast. Then maybe the closed minded, stuck up, bigots working there will go bye bye! Do they have any black clerks or male clerks working in the Court? If they do it would suprise the hell out of me.

18. TN on December 29, 2012 at 8:27 am

This is the reason St. Mary’s County is still one of the gems of MD, because we have people who actually have the stones to stand up to the hatemongers called gay marriage supports and gays themselves. Anyone who doesn’t support gay marriage, in their opinion, hates gays, end of story. Who cares if these people don’t want to perform same sex marriages? They obviously represent the majority of the population in St. Mary’s considering if this was a county-by-county election it would still be banned in St. Mary’s (For Gay Marriage 44%, Against 56%, St. Mary’s County election results). Stop bashing people because they have a different opinion than yours, and I can assure you it wasn’t in their job description when they were hired that they had to marry gays. I hope St. Mary’s County stays exactly the same, and I hope more clerks join these clerks. And BTW, as far as Government workers being well taken care of..Federal Government workers have had their pay frozen for two years and its still frozen, not to mention many local governments furloughed employees during that time.

• JR on December 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Poor, poor Government workers. I haven’t had a raise in 3 years, If I told my boss I didn’t want to do something, I would be replaced. So if the clerks don’t want to do their jobs, I have 2 recent college grads that would love to have Government jobs.

• TN on December 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Based on how much you seem to understand about how hard 90% of government workers actually work, you must not be one of those college grads. How many times have you been to Afghanistan over the last three years? Zero? Have I asked for a raise after the three times I’ve been in the past three years or even expected one since I knew raises were frozen? Nope. So please don’t pretend to understand how government employment works. Marrying people is not the ONLY part of a clerks job, therefore if they decide based on religious beliefs they cannot perform one small facet of that job, there is no reason for termination. That’s like forcing a muslim to eat pork when it is blatantly against their beliefs. You fail at making a point, do some research before you bash government workers as much as gays bash people who don’t agree with them.

• JR on December 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm

First, let me thank you for your service and courage. Anyone that serves our country, and protects us as you do is certainly not considered part of the bunch that we are all talking about. The frustration comes from seeing my neighbors off on every holiday, and 6 plus weeks of vacation, while I trudge off to work. Also, the lack of reality of what the real world is like. It’s comes more from the frustration of the ecomony, and how hard we fight to keep our jobs, and our kids having trouble finding jobs. Yes, I did go to college, no I’m not gay, I am the mother of those 2 , 24 year old college grads with double majors, that can’t find a job with a living wage in St. Mary’s county. One works 2 jobs to support his family, and one drives 90 minuties to work in northern Va. And both are more than qualified to take over for the clerks that don’t want to do their duties.

19. DS on December 29, 2012 at 8:58 am

God Bless the clerks who stand on Gods word !! :) ( Romans ch 1, 1- 28 )

20. shortcutsally on December 29, 2012 at 9:31 am

If I was a clerk I would refuse to marry gays as well. I would also quit and look for another job.
    There is nothing wrong with standing your ground on what you believe is wrong or right. BTW the gays do the same thing, so why should christians do any different?

• Anonymous on December 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm

When did gay people suddenly become non-christian?

• shortcutsally on January 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Sorry my bad
        “born again”
        But of course you don’t have to be “religious”
        to agree that God designed man for woman and woman for man
        not man for man or woman for woman

• pizzaman on December 30, 2012 at 7:41 am

Why? Because they worked hard at their job for years and at the whim of a leftwing court they are now acting improper? Lets force doctors to perform abortions while were at it. The state should get out of marriage since it can’t figure out what exactly marriage is. The left is great at destroying all things sacred. Good job.

• Decided on December 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Actually, the voters of Maryland decided in this last election what marriage was. It is now law. If you recall, the State passed marriage equality– Christian organizations (in violation of Article 36 of the MD Constitution, but I digress), put marriage in the State up to a vote. The people decided what constituted marriage in the Free State. So, it appears that the State knows exactly what marriage is.

21. Sue on December 29, 2012 at 11:12 am

You know what really irks me in this discussion? Those of you who are pro-gay marriage are so intolerant! If someone doesn’t agree with you, you get nasty. You should all be happy now! You can get married. You won the vote! You should be celebrating!

I think what you really want is for people to be thrilled with the lifestyle you live. It bothers you that some people like myself don’t applaud your lifestyle. It is not politically correct to disagree with you. Having said that, I can still befriend you, be kind to you, etc. I just won’t sanction your lifestyle. If you could just accept that and stop trying to force me to approve, then we could all get along.

Happy new year everyone!

• Sanctioned on December 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm

And no one has to sanction or approve of your life. Perhaps if you read the article, these are Government workers— salaries paid for by your tax dollars. Assuming you are straight, imagine if you went to the courthouse and they wouldn’t serve you because the clerk was Atheist and it was against their beliefs to serve Christians. Don’t laugh— opening up the flood gates could cause a scenario just as described.

• mrcounty on December 31, 2012 at 10:35 am

Bottom line, if you don’t like the Maryland vote on gay marriage, MOVE! If you don’t like the other duties as assigned at your job due to the Maryland vote on gay marriage, find a new job or MOVE! If you don’t like gay marriage in general, don’t marry the same sex! Everything else is none of anyone else’s business! Life is too short to worry about this subject. In reality it is of no consequence, read it and move on to the next!

22. Investigation on December 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

As the article states, there is no provision for clerks to opt out and an investigation will be launched. It should result in their immediate termination.

23. Sue on December 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm

After reading all these comments, I can’t understand why the pro-gay marriage people aren’t thrilled. They won! Why are they still complaining?

I think what many want is not just permission to marry, they want our acceptance and approval. Sorry, but I can’t approve of what you do. It is unhealthy physically and mentally.

What I can do is still be kind to you. Seems fair enough to me.

• Todd on December 30, 2012 at 12:52 am

This discussion is not about your ability to be a decent well raised human. It doesn’t question wether you kick dogs under the table either… We are thrilled! We are celebrating! I, to speak for myself, am not bothered that in the same sentence as you claiming to be decent, called me unhealthy, physically and emotionally…

This conversation is questioning what is the role of a civil servant. What do we, the citizens who’s taxes pay these people should expect them to do… Correct, their job description did not say you will marry homos. But the oath that they took said, without prejudice, you are required to uphold the laws and statutes of this county, and state. The end.

• Sue on December 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

When the employees who do not want to marry gay couples were originally hired, that was not part of the job description. These people need their jobs just like everyone else. If there are enough clerks willing to marry gay couples, then why are you having a hissy fit? You can still get married! Geez! Do you really want these folks to lose their jobs over this? Do you have no compassion or respect for those who disagree with you?

• Seriously? on December 31, 2012 at 10:49 am

Its not about them disagreeing with anyone. It is the fact that civil servants, hired to carry out the laws of the State of Maryland are refusing to do their jobs. Try this, take gay marriage out and substitute it with inter-racial marriage. “Clerks at the Courthouse will no longer perform inter-racial marriages”. You see, its about the clerks not doing their jobs. The subjects of the discrimination are irrelevant.

• dude on January 7, 2013 at 9:16 am

Stop trying to compare this to inter-racial or athiests. This only about their refusal to mary gays. I agree 100% that they should have a choice whether or not they want to marry you all or not. I have have a cousin who is gay and I still think it is disgusting. In the old testimant it says gays should be put to death, I am not that extreme, I just think they should be shipped to live somewhere secluded from normal society so they can stop screwing all of our childrens heads up. No gay couple should be able to adopt either in my opinion. Just stop complaining about what everyone else is doing and mind your own business. If you are soo worried about wasting tax money stop voting for the incumbents and make a change but, you are probably part of the entitlers 47%.

• mrcounty on December 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Yes Sue, they should lose their jobs. It is not about agreeing to disagree or anything in between. It is about people saying they do not care what the law is, they want it their way. Further, it is about the actual elected Clerk of the Court, who has entertained their personal views to find a way to allow them to continue practicing their narrow minded views on the subject. They don’t have to like it, agree with it, or live with it. They just have to do their jobs. The Clerk and everyone under her who has said they will not do their jobs, needs to be fired. They work for me and you and all taxpayers. I want them FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!!

• Healthy Life on December 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm

And the 53% divorce rate amongst heterosexuals is healthy? Having kids out of wedlock (then becoming a burden to taxpayers because we now have to pay welfare for a majority of them) is healthy? We have been together for almost 15 years. We eat properly, workout every day, travel, and enjoy life. That doesn’t seem physically and mentally unhealthy to me.

24. jimmy on December 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Why did god make male and female

• Assuming on December 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

You are assuming that everyone believes in God or a God, or spirit in the sky. I prefer to ask, how did we evolve from a single celled micro-organism into who and what we are today.

• Lawdog20636 on December 31, 2012 at 2:09 am

Even if you don’t beleive in God, It is not normal. Gay couples can’t produce children. If we all turned gay the human race would die off in 100 years.

• Um on December 31, 2012 at 10:52 am

Infertile couples and old people can’t procreate either. Oh wait, there is this thing called adoption. You might have heard of it. Even if you do believe in God or a God, gay people come from somewhere, and if God never makes a mistake, then gay people, born to straight people can’t be a mistake either. I don’t think Uncles should be allowed to marry their niece, but its allowed under Maryland law because it is legal in West Virginia. So, you have to consider what is normal and to whom.

• Anonymous on January 1, 2013 at 8:16 pm

But how is someone going to adopt if no one can procreate? If everyone was homosexual, there would be no way to make babies for people to adopt. Your argument isn’t valid!

25. Todd on December 30, 2012 at 12:38 am

Lets be clear on a big fact overlooked here, Joan W Williams, the boss, who is paid to oversee the clerks, should be fired first. She is the biggot here. She is the one passive aggressively instilling the belief system that we rewrite the books because you do not want to follow the law. If your religion prevents you from completely adhering to the laws set fourth, the you should not apply.
    I understand it was a narrow pass, there are a lot of people resistant, but the chain of command in civil servants has to remain intact. Fire Joan Williams.

• Sue on December 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Here we go throwing the “biggot” word around. That didn’t take long.
      Next it will be that we are intolerant! “Progressives are the most intolerant people I have ever dealt with. The moment we disagree, we start getting called names. I for one am tired of it. Let me say again,if you are gay, lesbian, or whatever, I will be nice to you. One of our local lesbian doctors adopted a child with her partner. The partner brought their little girl to storytime at the library. I made it a point to be kind to her and talk with her each week. I’m not a hater. Please give those who don’t approve of your lifestyle the same courtesy we are willing to give you. I can’t remember the tv character but there used to be someone who would shout “Why can’t we all just get along?” Why can’t we?

• Rodney King on December 31, 2012 at 7:03 am

Actually, that comment came from Rodney King, who was beaten by LA Police Officers. Maybe if there was less intolerance in the world, and if every was nice to each other— not having to make a point of being nice ‘because of who they are’, maybe society would be a better place.

• Sue on December 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm

So I should have been rude and nasty and ignored her? Then you would say I was a homophobe. Seems like you want it both ways.

26. Anonymous on December 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm

PEOPLE YOU NEED TO WAKEUP AND THINK ABOUT WERE WE ARE HEADED IN THIS COUNTY, STATE AND COUNTRY! WHAT HAPPENED TO FAMILY VALUES? THEY ARE FEW AND FAR. EVEYONE IS OUT FOR ME WHAT CAN I GET FREE. MARRIAGE IS DEFINED AS A UNION BETWEEN A MAN AND WOMAN NOT TWO PEOPLE OF THE SAME SEX! GOOD JOB JOAN WILLIAMS!!!

• Lawdog20636 on December 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Spot on. Most of these people wil take a vow to god,they are hypocrites Marriage is between man and women. They pick and choose what part of the bible to believe.

• JPR on December 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm

So do you, otherwise you would still be stoning people for adultery, and similar things.

• Marriage on December 31, 2012 at 6:59 am

Perhaps you missed the last election. Marriage in the State of Maryland is no longer just between a man and a woman. I’m more worried about people re-electing the same people (or worse) to the House and Senate. If we were a real representative democracy, Congress would be filled with people that make less than 75K a year.

27. Zach M. on January 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Is there anyone out there that remembers when interracial marriages were first made legal in Maryland? What did the clerks of the court do that year?