WWI U S Navy Anti-Ship Mine Transported for Safe Disposal

December 31, 2012

d3s_9302The State Fire Marshal Bomb Squad, St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office and the 55th Army EOD Team from Fort Belvoir, Virginia transported a 1917 WW I era anti-ship mine to the Newtowne Neck State Park for render-safe procedures.

At approximately 2:00 p.m. on December 30, 2012, Stephen Hassay was walking along the Cuckold Creek shoreline of his father’s property in the 24000 block of Half Pone Point Road in Hollywood when he located what he thought to be an old buoy. Upon loading the device he located a placard attached to the outer shell revealing the device was a U.S. Navy mine. Believing the device to be inert, he transported the device in the back of his pick-up truck to his home in the 45000 block of Nats Creek Road and notified authorities of the located item.

The subsequent investigation revealed the device was still live and required military assistance to render the device safe. The Newtowne State Park was chosen as the largest and safest location to explode the mine underground to ensure the safety of the public. The mine was rendered safe at 5:10 A.M. this morning with no reports of injuries or property damage loss.

Maryland State Fire Marshal William E. Barnard reminds the public to practice the “3 R’s” when military ordnance is located.  Recognize that any suspicious objects found should not be touched under any circumstances. Retreat or carefully leave the area. Report immediately what was found and its approximate location to a 911 dispatcher.”

For more information on fire safety call 1-800-525-3124, log onto our website at:
www.mdsp.org/firemarshal and/or http://facebook.com/MarylandStateFireMarshal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to WWI U S Navy Anti-Ship Mine Transported for Safe Disposal

1. Seriously? on December 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

“Well, Ima just gonna throwd this un my pickumup truck…Might gets some money at the scrapyard for this”. Ya coulda blown up my mothers house!

2. scott on December 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Been nice you they would have told the people in compton that they were going to do it, Instead of scaring the sh.. out of everyone at 520 am. Warn us next time

3. Anonymous on December 31, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have to agree with what has been said who in there mind would just pick it up after they saw it saying the navy and then decide to put it in there truck and take it to there house! I live in Compton and that was not the wake up call i liked having this morning a warning would have been nice!

4. nina on December 31, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I would like to see a picture of what it looked like.
    Neighbor on the water.

5. Laura on December 31, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I live in Drayden and it shook my house, I cant imagine how hard it shook the houses in Compton.

6. Who Knows on December 31, 2012 at 5:07 pm

A GREAT USE for Newtowne Neck State Park! I would assume that the State of MD will pick up the cost of repairing the probable damage to St Francis Xavier Church and the historic manor house. By the way, the County phone call was received AFTER the blast.

7. NewYorkJoe on January 1, 2013 at 4:22 am

Sign up for the code red alerts as well as the nixil alerts so the sheriffs dept can send you messages about these things. I know a message went out but not sure when.

8. Anon on January 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Wow that’s insane. WHY would you put a bomb in your truck to take it home?! Who is that dense?! Glad no one was hurt in the blast.

9. MSB on January 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Sure did scare the crap out of me! I have signed up for the red alert calls home & cell and did not get one! We live in Compton too!