8-Year-Old Child Accidentally Ran Over in Own Driveway in Waldorf

January 11, 2017

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at approximately 8:30 a.m., an 8-year-old boy was in his driveway in the 6400 block of Pangolin Court, Waldorf, when he stopped in front of his mother’s parked car and knelt down to tie his shoe. His mother, who was unaware her son was in front of the car, entered her vehicle and put the car in motion, striking the child. The child sustained severe injuries, but they do not appear to be life-threatening.

The child was flown to an area hospital and admitted in serious condition.

Cpl. B. Saunders is investigating.

10 Responses to 8-Year-Old Child Accidentally Ran Over in Own Driveway in Waldorf

1. Nick on January 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I hope the child makes a full recovery.

2. AliceW on January 11, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Guess the Feds will rethink their backup camera when they find out this can happen going in either direction. Sounds like a requirement for sonic detectors on both ends connected to the shifter. People will not look at a video display unless it is a mindless TV show.

• cheywolf on January 12, 2017 at 9:12 am

I have a backup camera in my truck, you can barely see out of it especially if its raining.

• Ginger on January 13, 2017 at 6:23 am

I don’t have one in any of my trucks, I just use the mirrors. Works fine for me and it’s one less thing that can break.

• Brandy on January 14, 2017 at 9:14 am

another know it all

3. Peaceful Citizen on January 12, 2017 at 7:03 am

Prayers to the family. My back up camera is one of the reasons I own the car that I have. Maybe surround cameras should be installed in all cars….just saying.

• Ginger on January 13, 2017 at 6:26 am

Does your backup camera cover the front or sides of your vehicle? Nothing like good ole’ fashioned cognizant awareness of your surroundings. Keep adding all of these bells and whistles that you want legislators to mandate in vehicles and it’s only more technology that can break.

• Peaceful Citizen on January 13, 2017 at 10:06 am

Better than breaking a child….don’t you think? and why not add? all things break down! you just fix it… No mine does not have front or side cameras but I am well aware of my surroundings and use my rear view camera all the times.

• Ginger on January 16, 2017 at 7:46 am

Thanks for making my point. All the cameras in the world won’t help you unless you are consciously aware of what is going around you which drives the question of “Why are cameras needed?”

4. Hello on January 12, 2017 at 8:40 am

Prayers for the family during this time, prayerfully the child will make a full recovery soon!