Great Mills Woman Arrested for Arson

January 22, 2013

St. Mary's County House Fire 0001Deputy State Fire Marshal’s arrested Mary Ellen Mattingly, 61 of Great Mills for intentionally setting fire to her one story, single family home located at 21724 Garfield Street on the afternoon of November 25, 2012.

Investigators determined Mattingly ignited her bedroom on fire after pouring a combustible liquid in the room. The 4:29 p.m. one alarm blaze took an estimated 35 firefighters nearly 20 minutes to bring under control. One firefighter received smoke inhalation injuries and was transported to Washington Hospital Center where he was treated and released that evening. The fire caused approximately $80,000 in damage to the structure and contents.

Mattingly was arrested today at her residence without incident. She was charged with Arson 1st Degree and transported to the St. Mary’s County Detention Center.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to Great Mills Woman Arrested for Arson

1. mary byers on January 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

What a shame..

• nada on January 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Being a family member…she has done terrible things to all of her family, so when she reached out, family didnt want to be put in another of her schemes. I feel for the firefighters she put in danger. For those wondering, she is the one who ran a home where she took in the dying. I will give her credit for having a big heart and doing a great job with that,

• nada on January 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Being she spend a great portion of her life in prison, it will be like ol home week for her.

• pooh on January 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Knowing alot, How?

• Anonymous on January 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Missy, Mary, Mary Ellen this woman has so many alias it is not funny not to mention the different last names and what not. She is a fake and has not been in touch with her own loving family. what a LOSER she can talk her way out of a paper bag and rob the blind at the same time. Yes she has been in and out of jail and nut houses all her life. She cared for the elderly and dying because they are not able to say what they seen or heard and if they were sane she put them out and Oh for the letter she put The County Times for the THANK YOU’S to everyone that helped her and then leave her address wonder how much pitty money she got ?

2. Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 6:01 pm

It’s St. Mary’s County, so she’ll probably just get off like the lady who burned her house down in Leonardtown.

• CRE on January 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm

She got off, how??

3. victoria on January 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm

And you wonder why your insurance premiums went up?

4. Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Crazy lady

5. Phil on January 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm

You obv did not learn the facts about leonardtown town fire. Never any evidence based on false accusation. One day apologies will go out to her and her family…

• Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Oh trust me she set it on fire! Lady was freaking crazyyy!!!!

6. Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I knew this lady personally and he had no family left, she just went crazy and thought she would get away with this

• nada on January 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm

wonder why her family didnt want anything to do with her? Dont feel sorry for her.

• Hmmm on February 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm

No she had the family (Im one of them) She doesnt know how to take responsibility of her acctions. She is Metally Ill

7. resident on January 22, 2013 at 7:47 pm

My family member was one of the firefighters there. Two firemen could have lost their lives. I’m not sure of the woman’s situation but this is very, very upsetting. These men and women risk their lives to save others. Then to have someone set their own house on fire? I hope she gets more than a little jail time. Mental evaluation anyone?

8. Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Why do people say mean things about other people. They don’t even know them or what was going on in there lifes that made her do such a thing. Prayers go out to Mary and Hope she gets any help she needs. I grew up with ( If you nothing nice to say then don’t say anything at all)

• SEB on January 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm

She intentionally sat her house on fire, putting the lives of our volunteer firefighters at risk. Why do people say mean things…because you don’t have to be nice to criminals and those who take advantage of others. “Do undo other as you would others do undo you”.. so when I see her, maybe I should tape her face to a chimney so she can experience smoke inhalation…

• Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 9:44 pm

That saying is fine and dandy, but this lady almost got 2 firemen killed. I agree it’s not nice to say mean things about someone, but someone I care about was at that fire. Had the situation been different, he could have been one of the ones hurt. She intentionally set her house on fire. That took some planning, and she could have realized the harm of her actions before she did it. I agree with the person above. I hope she gets more than just jail time.

9. Jeff on January 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Fire Bug now Jail Bird.

10. Concerned2 on January 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Mental eval needed for sure. Did she think before
    She done it that maybe one of her family members
    Would be responding to the call? And it could
    Of been there lives taken? She needs help for sure,
    And given a copy of these pictures to remind her
    Everyday of her sickness that could of been the death
    Of an innocent firefighter.

11. Firefighters Mom on January 22, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I am the mother of one of the firefighters that fell throught the floor. The mother of the firefighter that watched her ONLY child get pulled out of the window of a burning house, and pulled across the front lawn. My son loves being a firefighter and is very good at it. He puts his life on the line every day for his community. He does this because he loves his community, and loves fighting fires. he DOESN’T DO THIS FOR MONEY! So for someone to intentionally set their house on fire, and put my son’s life in danger, intentionally, is incomprehensable! So if people get on here and blast her sanity, suck it up. She put my son, and others life in danger just because she didn’t want to deal. She should have got elp long before she decided to put my son’s life in danger, along with all the other VOLUNTEER

12. Firefighters Mom on January 22, 2013 at 9:44 pm

cont… firefighters live’s in danger that were on the scene that day. I hope I can be in court the day she is charged and can show the judge the footage of my son being pulled out of the house SHE set on fire. Hopefully, he will see that I almost lost my son that day due to her actions.

13. Anonymous on January 22, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Did this lady use to take care of people in her home that where dieing

14. Anonymous on January 23, 2013 at 10:23 am

If this is the same Mary Mattingly, I have a phone number that she used have. Not a week goes by that I don’t get at least 2 to 3 phone calls from collectors and people who won’t answer to what their business is with her. Looks like a real winner here! Trying to get the insurance money no doubt. What a shame…

• Anonymous on January 23, 2013 at 1:56 pm

not this lady’s 1st rodeo! she’s a pro at this kind of stuff…

• nada on January 23, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Not her first rodeo? I dont know if I can count that high.

• pooh on January 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Nada you must have know her a long time? You r saying some pretty knowledging things.

15. Firefighters Wife on January 23, 2013 at 11:13 am

People need to think before they do something this crazy….fireman were hurt that night and could have died trying to save her home that she didnt care about!

16. Anonymous on January 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Wack jobs around here hahahahaha. If u people only knew her personally!

17. pooh on January 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Nada seems to know alot, must of been a good friend of hers.