UPDATE: Man Shot at Charles County Gun Range

March 2, 2013

handgun

UPDATE 3/3/13 12:30pm:
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
On March 2 at 9:23 a.m., Charles County Sheriff’s officers responded to the indoor shooting range at The St. Charles Sportsman’s Club, 4045 Renner Road, Waldorf, for the report of a shooting. Upon arrival, officers found Patrick Allen Richards, 61, of Hughesville, suffering from a gunshot wound; he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The initial investigation showed Richards was at the range to fire his personal firearm.  While at the range, his gun discharged, striking him one time in the upper body. There were no signs of foul play and the incident is being investigated as an accident. Det. B. Buchanan of the Criminal Investigations Division is continuing the investigation.

UPDATE: Police have still not released any statement on the shooting. Southern Maryland News Net has learned that deceased is a male, not a female as first reported by first responders.

On Saturday, March 2 at approximately 9:30 a.m. authorities were alerted to a shooting at 4045 Renner Road at the St. Charles Sportsman Club. Dispatchers indicated that the shooting may be accidental.

Units responded and were informed that it was an accidental misfire. When police units arrived, they discovered a 62 year-old female male had died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Police continue to investigate this incident.

There has been no official communication with authorities and no name has been released to the media at this time.

21 Responses to UPDATE: Man Shot at Charles County Gun Range

1. Amanda Ringley on March 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm

This is so terribly sad. Prayers for those involved.

2. Ryan on March 3, 2013 at 9:19 am

There is no such thing as an accidental misfire. Properly handling a weapon will NOT result in the firearm discharging inadvertently. Perhaps if the state were to mandate an actual handgun class instead of a 10 min online course, this would not have happened. Being a former member of the armed services it was not a requirement for me to take the mandated course but I did anyway. I was shocked that there was no requirement for weapons handling or actual range time. My condolences to the family.

• Anonymous on March 3, 2013 at 11:32 am

This man was a retired police officer with over 30 years on the force! I’d say he had plenty of experience and training!

• KMaria on March 3, 2013 at 11:46 am

Agreed! He was one of my very good friends father.

• Dave on March 3, 2013 at 11:54 am

Yes, I too knew this gentleman who was highly respected and admired individual. He was an avid shooter, with 30 plus years of local and federal law enforcement training and experience. This shows, at times it doesn’t matter who or what you know, ACCIDENTS do and will happen.
        Hence, if you don’t know what you’re talking about, and understand the full story, as it has not been released. Keep opinions of no value or substance to yourself.

• Anonymous on March 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Amen Dave!

• Ryan on March 3, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Ah….so he was trained, just complacent. I do sympathize for the family and I mean no disrespect to them, but “Dave” I do not need to know “the full story” when it comes to a weapon discharging. Even if it was a weapon malfunction, how did the round end up in his head?

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
      2. NEVER POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT.
      3. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
      4. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.

These are the 4 weapons handling rules in the Marine Corps and if you follow them there will be no injuries, even in the event of a weapons malfunction. I don’t imagine they differ too much from the local police force training that he had 30 years of. Again, my condolences to the family and I hope that this event can remind people that firearms are a great tool, but they need to be respected at ALL times.

• Jade on March 4, 2013 at 12:04 am

“just complacent”? How in the world would you know that? I wish some of the people on here would stop making assumptions. You have NO IDEA the circumstances, so please STOP ASSUMING. It is VERY UPSETTING to those who are in mourning and is NOT PRODUCTIVE AT ALL. No one cares what your opinion on the matter is, please.

• Ryan on March 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Jade,

I am not assuming as I posted above. I am making my comments based upon the evidence in front of me. If it is very upsetting to you do not get on the internet and read the story about the father, brother, son that you lost. I thought you may have more productive things to do in a time like this, like mourning his loss. Again, my condolences to the family.

• Matt on March 4, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Ryan’s just another internet know-it-all who refuses to accept that he’s wrong and doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about. No matter what, he’s going to stick to his “expertise” (with a RIFLE) from the Corps. Idiot.

• Ryan on March 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Those are the 4 safety rules, not the weapon conditions, idiot.

• D Hogh on March 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Glad you are not indicative of the men and women I have served with in the Corps over 28 years of Naval Service. Don’t be a critic when you don’t have the full story. I know that the Marines and Sailors I served with would do a thorough and complete investigation before making judgement/drawing a conclusion. I guess your lack of education and training go along with your total lack of moral terpitude.

• D Hogh on March 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’m not surprized that 3 or 4 years in the military makes you an expert on weapons. Yes, as anyone who has been associated with weapons knows there are many cases of accidental misfire caused by a number of conditions. Your insensitive remarks at a time of grief speak volumes for you.

• Ryan on March 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm

And you thinking that I only served 3-4 years in the Corps is a pretty sad assumption. I’ll assume that your vast knowledge of shooting a .22 at Great Lakes one time in your whole 28 year career in the Navy does NOT make you some kind of weapons expert. I agree, let’s see what the investigation reveals, perhaps a dirty weapon or maybe it was lack of inspecting the weapon on a regular basis…..What would I know, I only shot an M-16 for 3-4 years……..

3. KMaria on March 3, 2013 at 11:45 am

This was my friends father. It was a misfired gun and he was shot in the chest, not the head.

• anonymous on March 3, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Ok so it misfired, either way aren’t u always supposed to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction? If he was shot in the chest than how did the muzzle get directed that way? Did it come out backwards? Either way its a tragedy but I don’t quite understand. I pray for the family

• Anonymous on March 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Once again an example of why you shouldn’t comment if you don’t know what your talking about. Guns do misfire, guns do shoot bullets out of the side, guns do explode. Google any of these key words and there are thousands upon thousands of articles of people killed or injured in these accidents. The man was intelligent and expertly experienced, and there is no doubt that it must have been the fault of the weapon not the operation of it. The world lost a good man, our prayers are with the family.

• dee bloom on March 3, 2013 at 10:31 pm

He was a Retired Law Enforcement Officer/Current Government worker whose weapon didn’t discharge when he pulled the trigger and when he opened the weapon the bullet exploded for some reason. Please try and be more respectful until you know the whole story. This man had family and friends who loved him dearly.

• Ryan on March 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm

So it was the ammunition, not the weapon itself. Thank you for the update.

4. Anonymous on March 4, 2013 at 11:00 am

boring

5. Karen on March 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Prayers to the family of the retired officer. I, too am the daughter of a retired police officer. Please accept my sympathy in the passing of your father. God speed.