UPDATE: One Killed in Attempted Home Invasion in Huntingtown

April 1, 2013

001_8806UPDATE: On March 31, 2013 at approximately 10:30 pm, the Calvert County Emergency Operations Center received a phone call from 3630 Harlequin Court, located in Huntingtown in Calvert County.

The caller advised that someone had been shot at this address and requested Law Enforcement and EMS. A Calvert County Sheriff’s Office supervisor was the first person on the scene. The officer found that one person was on the ground next to the driveway of this residence. This person was deceased.

That Calvert Investigative Team comprised of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office, the Maryland State Police and the Calvert County State’s Attorney’s Office was requested to respond to the scene.

The Investigation revealed that the victim/home owner was in the residence, when he heard several loud bangs on his front door. The victim/home owner retrieved a handgun and went to the front door. The victim opened the door and there were two suspects standing there. One of these persons brandished a weapon (not a gun) and both persons made aggressive movements and statements towards the victim/home owner. The victim/home owner was in fear for his life and subsequently fired at the suspects. One suspect was struck from the shots and succumbed to his wounds. The second suspect fled in a vehicle.

The name of the deceased, vehicle information and the second suspect will be released at a later date, as this is an ongoing investigation. The victim is a retired Police Officer.

Lt. Steve Jones of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office said. “You do not have to retreat if you are threatened. You have the right to defend yourself.”

According to Sheriff Mike Evans “there was no reason to target that house. The information on the vehicle is not being released at this time but if you see a vehicle full of bullet holes, please call the Sheriff’s Office”.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Det. J. Ewig at 410-535-1600, ext. 2596.

Original Article:
Police are on the scene of a shooting on Harlequin Court, in the area of Route 521, Hunting Creek Road in Huntingtown.

At this time it is believed that the homeowner shot and killed a person that had attempted a home invasion.

The homeowner advised there was there was a  second suspect, described as a white male, in a dark colored American passenger car.

More details as soon as they become available.

CLICK HERE to hear the police audio from this incident.

[adrotate banner="48"]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

53 Responses to UPDATE: One Killed in Attempted Home Invasion in Huntingtown

1. Amy on April 1, 2013 at 12:12 am

Bout time!!! I’d have done the same thing.

• Jimmy on April 1, 2013 at 6:07 am

Score 1 for the homeowner. Definitely not a good time to go robbing someones house since the market is booming right now due to upcoming changes in Maryland Gun Laws. I just hope the crook was definitely armed since Maryland is a no duty to retreat state. 2nd amendment supporter all the way!!!

• Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 7:20 am

It doesn’t matter wether the intruder was armed or not, once u cross the barrier I have been told u can surely kill a person!!

• Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 am

i totally agree, you have every right to protect yourself and family, to bad they can’t catch the one from over St. Mary’s county, that piece of trash is still on the loose

• Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

In Maryland you have a duty to retreat, even in your own home. If you could possibly have gotten away, there is a possibility of a murder charge even if you were defending your home/self. Just another of the horrible laws in this state.

• Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

In Maryland you do not have to retreat from your house. Maryland uses the castle doctrine. Outside is a different story. You can use deadly force to protect yourself or family, but not property.

• Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

Just make sure you shoot till the gun is empty, that way theres no mistaken that you felt threatened and no chance for anyone to peg you for premeditated murder..

• Dan Kidder on April 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Idiotic advice. Shoot until the threat is neutralized. You have no legal justification to continue shooting once the threat is neutralized. Also, if you empty your gun you can’t deal with additional threats. There were two wolves in this pack.

• Anonymous on April 2, 2013 at 8:56 am

Doesn’t this sound a little fishy to anyone else besides me? I thought that the person would have to be inside of your house before you can defend. So your telling me that if someone is in my yeard and I fear for my life I can shoot them? I guarantee you that if you or I shot someone, not being a retired police officer, we would be charged with something.

• Wendy on April 2, 2013 at 9:01 am

Doesn’t this sound a little fishy to anyone else besides me? I thought that a person would have to be inside of your home in order for you to defend. So your telling me that if someone is in my yard and I fear for my life I can shoot and kill them? I guarantee you that if you or I, not being a retired police officer, shot someone and killed them we would be charged with something.

• Anonymous on April 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Good for the homeowner. POS criminal deserved what he got, bet he didnt see that coming LOL…my guns loaded at all times in our home.

2. Diane on April 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hate to see someone die but support the homeowners right to protect themselves and their property. Also supporter of 2nd Amendment rights.

• Pete Parks (DE) on April 1, 2013 at 9:52 am

I agree. I hate to see someone die but they played the game and lost. I hope other crooks might learn a lesson from this but I doubt they will.

3. Tina on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 am

Way to go homeowner! This is a good example of why there is a 2nd Amendment!!!!!

4. Sp on April 1, 2013 at 7:43 am

Any new info??

5. emily crumbacker on April 1, 2013 at 7:50 am

This is the way it should go.. I’m glad the homeowner had the courage to rid the world of people like this. Everyone should be prepared to protect their family/home in this manner. i know I am.

6. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 7:51 am

Good for them. We have a right to protect ourselves. We could be hearing about two homeowners killed in home invasion instead.

7. Nana on April 1, 2013 at 8:01 am

Lived in Huntingtown for 25 years started locking the house a few years ago. Now we are locked and loaded. Everyone has the right to defend their family and home.

8. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 8:15 am

It’s called Huntingtown. Hmmm, wonder what they do there? Think they’re armed? Nahhh…this should be easy.

9. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 8:26 am

Great job to the home owner for protecting their family!

10. Rastus on April 1, 2013 at 10:06 am

Good!!! People should think twice before breaking into anyone’s home. It should happen more often and the bad people would find another career.

11. Look-A-Like on April 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

I want to see a picture of this guy. I bet he looks as dumb as his actions. I too do not condone death, but when someone tries to cone into your house……well, click click BOOM!! Now who’s job is it to clean the floor..the family of the would be robber, homeowners insurance, serve pro?

12. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 10:30 am

Go ahead and step through the door. Be advised that will be the last time you move through that door under your own power.

13. Richey on April 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

Let this be a lesson to all wanna be thugs, Mess with the bull you get the horn!! Kuddos to the person who stood up for his family and used his right to bare arms in the proper way. Everyone may not agree with the outcome of this event, but once you cross that threshold of someone elses property you just surrendered your rights to the rightful owner of this home. Huntingtown is not the only ones in this small county armed, stop on by Chesapeake Beach anytime criminals, and we will exercise our rights too!

14. amber on April 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

Now we will have to wait and see what happens to the homeowner!! Obviously nothing should happen but come on people we are talking about Calvert County. Hopefully the homeowner has the right last name !!!

15. jeff on April 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

What an April fools joke they received, I am a bid 2A supporter

16. Alan on April 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

If you don’t want to risk your life don’t invade another’s domain
    Forcing their hand. It’s that simple

17. Dougie_Mom on April 1, 2013 at 11:53 am

Glad the homeowner was able to protect their family. Still sad, as they will be changed forever with this event, even though they had every right to defend themselves.

18. jeff on April 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm

no matter what owe’malley does, I see Md. does still have the death penalty

19. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

At the same time, our elected “officials” are trying to strip our 2A rights away.

It’s sad that the “Free”, in “Free State” applies to criminals as well.

20. Sue on April 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

And what color was the first intruder

• Reality on April 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

What difference does it make? Some idiot’s attempted to break into a person’s home, with a weapon of some sort, and instead of running when they got busted, they proceeded to come at the home owner which ultimately ended in death. I’m pretty sure the end result would have been the same regardless of color. The home owner didn’t shoot because of the race, the home owner shot for fear of his/her (and most likely their family’s) life.

21. roxy on April 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm

April Fools! Finally, a story that does not end with the death of a victim! An example of why the right to bear arms is one we should all fight for. These jerks showed up to nice home in a nice neighborhood thinking they were going to bash someone’s head in and take their property because they are too lazy to work for what they want, or need. I don’t own a gun, but to me, anything is a weapon. A lamp, my samurai sword, a chair, my mean ass dog. Till I get a gun, I refuse to be a compliant victim. I dare some clown to mess with me or my family.

22. Reality on April 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Some might see this as another ‘bad’ news story. I, however, see view it as a ‘good’ news story. Yes a person’s life was taken, and that is unfortunate, but that individual gambled with his own life the second he attempted to invade another person’s home. I can assure you the outcome would have been the same had it been my home as well.

23. Paul on April 1, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Good for the homeowner. Too bad owe’malley and his cronies are working as hard as they can to disarm the law abiding citizen.

24. CRE on April 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What does make sense is the bangs/knocks on the door!! If the person was trying to break in why knock on the door?? There is clearly information missing, did the retired officer know the people????

25. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 5:03 pm

If you see a vehicle full of bullet holes??? They must have really been scared to shot up the car of the person that fled, I understand at the front door, but, really!

26. lori on April 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Im glad for the homeowner but im left confused. I thought the intruder had to be in your house to not get charged. And wouldnt the car being full of bullet holes work against the home owner…implying that the criminal was fleeing and taking away you’re right to shoot?

• Anonymous on April 2, 2013 at 1:40 am

A retired police officer can conceal carry a weapon anywhere in the US. They have the same privilege as an active police officer.

27. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

For those of you who are interested in this crime and what you would do if you were in a situation like this, please educate yourself with MSI. (Maryland shall issue). They have been fighting an uphill battle in Annapolis against owe malley and his pawns. If they get their way, one day you may find yourself unable to protect yourself and family. GET INFORMED ! Election Day is coming.

28. Randy on April 1, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Still think the Government needs to take our guns away?? This is a perfect example of why I own a gun.

29. Anonymous on April 1, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Wonder what was going through His brain when he heard the gunshots?

• Michael on April 2, 2013 at 1:11 am

A bullet.

• Anonymous on April 2, 2013 at 6:11 am

A bullet maybe!

• Anonymous on April 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

Bullets?

30. Diana Price on April 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

He did exactly what I would have done. I happen to know the victim personally and what I don’t understand is this, “Why did you open the door West? You were a cop and that doesn’t make sense”.

31. Dan on April 2, 2013 at 12:12 am

I just noticed that the home owner didn’t need an assault rifle or a 30 round clip.

32. Mike on April 2, 2013 at 12:38 am

I realize that this is based on early information, but this story has some holes on the surface. They bang on the door, he gets his gun to protect himself and his family, but he opens the door anyway. The alleged intruders did not have a gun, but a weapon of unknown origin. One of the suspects winds up dead, but not in the home, the driveway. I’m not saying that it is a coverup, or an excessive response, but…it would seem that further explanation is needed here.

• Anonymous on April 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm

You think?????????

• Anonymous on April 3, 2013 at 10:37 am

I agree. It may not be a cover up but it does sound suspicious, a little flakey or something is out of place. Near the driveway? How far is the driveway from the door. Did he run? Then why are you still shooting and not call the police. Oh, that’s right he is a retired one.

33. cjroman on April 2, 2013 at 7:28 am

Good shoot. Shame it wasn’t a 2 for 1.

34. eyeisme on April 2, 2013 at 7:28 am

Wow, I hope when I call, a sheriff’s officer supervisor is the first to arrive at my door.

• Redskin Hater on April 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm

@ eyeisme. I don’t understand your comment. Is that supposed to be a shot at the Sheriffs office? The supervisor was probably a patrol sargeant, in uniform and a patrol car. He/she was responding to the 911 dispatcher and happened to be the first to arrive. What’s your problem?