Seven Charged in Waldorf Burglary – Suspects Claim Sovereign Citizenship

June 21, 2013

7 arrestedOn June 19 at 7 p.m., officers were called to a house in the 4900 block of Olympia Place in Waldorf after witnesses observed unusual activity. When officers arrived, they learned the house was owned by a bank and should have been vacant. Instead, officers found seven people living inside. The occupants said they were sovereign citizens and they claimed they had the right to “occupy” the house since it was vacant. The suspects, Lamont Butler, 29; Artez Womack, 28; Kenneth Mitchell, Jr., 19; Rashid Daniels, 25; Lashonda Washington,28; Sakita Holly, 34; and Tia Carpenter, 46, were arrested and charged with burglary. In addition, Carpenter was charged with assaulting an officer after she bit him in the arm as he was placing her under arrest.

Law enforcement agencies across the country have been dealing with people claiming sovereign citizen ideology for years. Basically, sovereign citizens are people who possess strong anti-federal government views. They often do not recognize laws pertaining to paying taxes, registering motor vehicles and having proper identification. Two of the suspects in this case were recently charged in Montgomery County for breaking into a vacant house and claiming sovereignty there; they posted bond in that case and are awaiting trial.

The CCSO cares about our communities and neighborhoods. Anyone who suspects a house has been broken into by similar groups claiming to be sovereign citizens is asked not to confront them but to call the CCSO instead. Officers assigned to Patrol Operations and detectives assigned to the Criminal Investigations Division are continuing the investigation.

Womack, Artez Rashad Washington, Lashonda Ann Michell, Kenneth Durrell Jr Holly, Sakita Shanik Daniels, Rashid Amad Carpenter, Tia Monique Butler, Lamont Maurice (1)

33 Responses to Seven Charged in Waldorf Burglary – Suspects Claim Sovereign Citizenship

1. Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

It’s really a sad shame to see what my hometown has become….

• Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 5:24 pm

It’s only “yours” if you live here not by situation either.

2. RKA on June 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm

these are future terrorist’s, going to retaliate cause they can’t live there for free.

3. Mike Dietz on June 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Must be Obama supporters! Think everything should be handed to them on a silver platter!

• Fred 50 on June 21, 2013 at 5:04 pm

They can’t by definition they are against the Federal Government. The majority elected Obama.

• ANONYMOUS3 on June 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Especially the ones voting 5 or 6 times

• True Citizen of USA on June 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm

You obviously don’t know the voting process. Do you have a green card? LOL

4. Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Sovereign citizens yeah…..kind of like the Amish. Some of the laws that apply to the general population don’t apply. Now I get it. Their ENTITLED to live in the house for free. I bet they are ENTITLED to free food and utilities too. My parents set such an awful example for me. They taught me that I actually had to WORK for these kind of things. And what was I thinking? I actually taught my kids the same principles too. What was I thinking?? And besides, I thought Sovereign was just the name of a bank.

5. Jenn on June 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm

who cares if they don’t recognize the law or the government, these people are still breaking the law even if they don’t recognize the laws!! Total crap – I hope they don’t get out!!!

6. Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I bet they dont claim it when they apply for welfare or SSI

7. Amber on June 21, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Amish are completely different. They actually work to live, and own the land and homes they occupy. While they do not have to pay taxes, they do not use public assistance of any kind or public electricity. There is rarely crime among the Amish, so if they use our police force it is rare and usually only because of someone who is not Amish. They pay cash for any medical treatment they receive, which is also rare because they usually use homeopathic medicine unless it is serious. They do not vote. IF they use public transportation (on rare occasion) they pay for it. They are more honest than most taxpaying Americans, so to compare these pieces of trash to the Amish is just ignorant. Obama loving garbage that want the world handed to them on a silver platter.

• EZG1 on June 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm

What makes you believe that the Amish don’t pay taxes?

• Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Yea. I’m thinking they do pay taxes.

• AJ on June 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

The Amish do pay taxes. They also do not take gov’t handouts
      and take advantage of their neighbors. These people who occupied this house were looking for a “free” place to live. Where was the Realty CO who is taking care of this house-or the bank that owned it….not taking care of business…

• Marilyn on June 25, 2013 at 9:54 am

They Amish do pay taxes, I know that for a fact.

8. Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 4:33 pm

What a bunch of lazy losers!! They don’t like the way things are done here, then don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

9. anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Crackheads

10. anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 5:30 pm

U guys can claim that alll u want. Still gonna have to pay the piper. Didnt help the oklahoma city bomber much did it?

11. SKHampton on June 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Several months ago I saw a white SUV with strange looking tags – it looked like a homemade tag. I got close enough and it had something about sovereign nation on it. They turned into a neighborhood off Indian Head Highway before the turn to Route 228. I thought it was shady then – guess now I know.

12. queen2 on June 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm

What does OBAMA have to do with this? If your George Bush or Mit Romeny were president, would it be there fault. Not matyer who is in office, there will be people, who do what they want, under the influence of each other. I know everyone has there opinion, but stop blaming it on those, who did not commit the act.

You dumbies ar bored with life and just wait for black people to mess up,so you put out these ignortant comments. Re-thinkg your life. We are not all the same.

• Ryan on June 22, 2013 at 8:01 am

You’re the only one mentioning the fact that they are black…..I’m pretty sure I see similar comments when white people are locked up and featured here so, stop perpetuating the racial cycle.

• Wrangler on June 24, 2013 at 6:18 am

Easy Latifah. The bad spelling and improper use of your grammer will not help you in this case.

• Anonymous on June 24, 2013 at 7:49 am

Your dam right we are not all the same. I pay my mortgage, bills, and medical coverage.

• Me on June 25, 2013 at 8:44 am

OBAMA is the reason Americans are use to taking handouts.. That is why he is being blamed. The ONLY person who mentioned race through-out this whole ordeal is yourself. Let’s focus on the real problem and stop trying to make everything about your race. If you want people to look at your race differently, set an example instead of sitting on the computer making excuses.

These people are low life scum. I am tried of working my a$$ off to support people who want to ride around all day doing drugs and scamming the system. These are the type of people I see buying steak and shrimp on their foodstamps card while I buy hamburger meat and spagetti sauce making almost $70,000 a year. Half of my money it’s eaten up in taxes. If you are a HARD WORKING BLACK CITIZEN, you should feel the pain also.

13. Anonymous on June 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Is #5 Coolio ? I’ve been wondering what he’s been up to since ‘Gansters paradise ‘

• Anonymous on June 22, 2013 at 7:02 am

Now that’s funny.

14. Ryan on June 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I wonder who is getting sloppy seconds….

15. Kody on June 22, 2013 at 5:44 am

Breaks in vacant home…….tells police…”nah its cool”.

seems legit

16. Lil' Jon on June 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm

What? ,What? ,What? Okay!

17. diggerodell72 on June 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm

All these Canadians trying to get what they can from us taxpayers, everything free. Get a job you Canadians.

• anonymous on June 24, 2013 at 2:58 am

“Like”

18. Karen on June 25, 2013 at 8:45 am

The Amish are extremely hard working people and take care of their people don’t bring them into this unless you know about them! The Amish DO NOT get handouts from the federal government. These people are vagrants and are only looking for a handout. The are squatters. Now they are once again getting a free handout sitting in jail with three squares and a roof over their heads for free on my taxes.

19. tg on June 25, 2013 at 9:41 pm

The Sovereign Citizens didn’t just start, its been going on for years. It came to light in early 2000 when a man and his son killed a police officer on a traffic stop in the midwest where it is really popular. You can go to the”Ruby Ridge” and “Waco, Texas” situation and the people have similar ideology.