November 18, 2013

D3S_9454-MThe St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, along with law enforcement agencies throughout Maryland, is participating in the “Thanksgiving Belts & Booze” campaign as part of the Checkpoint Strikeforce initiative. The campaign will primarily focus on impaired driving and seatbelt enforcement. During the three week period, the Sheriff’s Office will conduct at least one sobriety checkpoint and one DUI saturation patrol operation.

The checkpoint will take place on November 27th – the day before Thanksgiving, which is historically a day when a high number of DUI arrests are made by law enforcement. The day before Thanksgiving is also a day when a high number of serious and/or fatal accidents occur.

D3S_9215Maryland’s “Thanksgiving Belts & Booze” campaign will run concurrent with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) “Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving” campaign.
You should know…

• Alcohol kills six times more young people in America than all illicit drugs combined.
  • Alcohol gives you the false impression that you can do things you can’t, like drive.
  • Most drunk drivers are not fully aware of their impairment.
  • To report a drunk driver, you should call 911

For more information on the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office “Thanksgiving Belts & Booze” campaign or other Sheriff’s Office Traffic Safety efforts, please contact Sergeant Michael Butler at 301.475.4200 X 9006 or email him at mike.butler@stmarysmd.com or visit checkpointstrikeforce.net.

11 Responses to “Thanksgiving Belts & Booze” Campaign to Focus on Impaired Driving and Seatbelt Enforcement

1. Anonymous on November 18, 2013 at 10:05 am

Checkpoints are voluntary. Make sure you take the alternate route around it.

• smh on November 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Aren’t the checkpoints publicized.

• Bluetooth on November 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Just Curious, I’m guessing that sober drivers would have no fear of going thru a checkpoint. I’ve gone thru 2 or 3 over the last few years. No big deal. So, I’m thinking that your advice to make sure you avoid these checkpoints is for the drunk drivers. Thanks for that, helping to keep the drunks on the road!!

• Anonymous on November 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Or, for those of us who just plain avoid cops because they see them as bad news, it’s solid advice. I know I won’t be drinking and driving. No need to have a cop verify it for me.

• anonymous on November 19, 2013 at 5:03 am

Must be on probation..

• Anonymous on November 19, 2013 at 9:49 am

Nope, I find alcohol disgusting, and having watched both of my parents waste away from it, I see no need for it. I have zero tolerance for alcohol use, ESPECIALLY drunk driving.

2. The Other on November 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Now, i can get along with that!! but!!!!! how about we also have a public “check points” after the holidays, near the FOP lodges? huh, how about THAT!!!!!!

• Paul on November 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I agree. I see them at a lot of local bars,tore up most of em. I seen 1 Charles Co.deputy have someone help him to his car and then another on duty officer follow him home. Above the law and no one does anything about it.

3. Curious Citizen on November 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

wonder why they never mention Texting and Driving? Nothing more dangerous than not looking at the road while driving.

• Anonymous on November 19, 2013 at 9:50 am

VERY true. I know quite a few people who have destroyed their cars and been lucky to not get hurt over texting and driving.

• curious citizen on November 19, 2013 at 11:47 am

Maybe they should start a Mother’s Against Texting. MADD did a number on drinking. Prohibition is here again.