UPDATE: Fire Truck Accident in St. Mary’s County

December 23, 2013

32 rollover 0845

UPDATE 12/23/13 – 8:00p.m. : All four firefighters involved in this accident have been released from the hospital.

12/23/13 – 4:30 a.m. : On Monday, December 23, 2013 at 3:10a.m., police, fire and rescue crews responded to a report of single vehicle accident involving a fire truck along Flat Iron Road in the area of Drayden Road, in Valley Lee.

The engine was responding to a house fire on Windmill Point Road, in Drayden.

Crews arrived on scene to discover Bay District Fire Truck, Engine 32 on its side with at least one firefighter trapped.

Four firefighters were transported from the scene to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

More details will be released throughout the day as they become available.

32 rollover 0847 32 rollover 0848 32 rollover 0849 32 rollover 0850 32 rollover 0851 32 rollover 0852 32 rollover 0853 32 rollover 0854 32 rollover 0855 32 rollover 0856 32 rollover 0857 32 rollover 0858 32 rollover 0859 32 rollover 0860 32 rollover 0861 32 rollover 0864 32 rollover 0865 32 rollover 0866 32 rollover 0867 32 rollover 0868 32 rollover 0869 32 rollover 0870 32 rollover 0871 32 rollover 0872 32 rollover 0873 32 rollover 0877 32 rollover 0878 32 rollover 0879

27 Responses to UPDATE: Fire Truck Accident in St. Mary’s County

1. Concerned Citizen on December 23, 2013 at 5:14 am

First and foremost, I hope that all the firefighters make a full recovery from their injuries. I will also thank them for their dedication and time for volunteering for our County. I have been in the fire service for many years; however, I believe that there needs to be some transparency in our County Fire Departments.

Of course we do not know all the details as to the cause of the collision; however, this is not the first serious accident involving the BDVFD. Each time these collisions occur, we risk the lives of our firefighters as well as citizens of our County. This does not include the money lost as a result of these accidents.

Again, I hope and pray that all these men/women fully recover, but, something needs to be done.

• KB on December 23, 2013 at 7:14 am

Praying for all involved and hope they’ll be well enough to be at home with their families for Christmas.

As the “concerned citizen” states, this is not the first time this has happened for this department. And neither were minor accidents. I’m an active volunteer and personally, I think we could ALL benefit from additional/remedial EVOC training. While other departments may not have experienced incidents quite as serious as these, I don’t know of one department over the years who hasn’t experienced some sort of mishap with the apparatus.

To my brothers and sisters in both the paid and volunteer service, you have a special ability and willingness to help other people. Not everyone is willing or able to do that. You’re not as replaceable as some people think you are. Please be careful!

• concerned citizen #2 on December 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

praying all is well for those involved. may we continue to support our local volunteers in there time of need as for they did in ours.

2. Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 8:18 am

So…was there another truck and crew available to repsond to the house that was on fire? Did it get put out, or did it burn down?

• Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Typically a house fire will get a multi-unit response from the start. In St. Mary’s this particular call had 4 engines 1 truck 1 water supply unit and 2 ambulances. Unlike the popular belief one engine company cannot put out a house fire. So to answer your question. Yes.

3. Johnny on December 23, 2013 at 9:09 am

Are Fire Trucks insured like personal vehicles?

• Lurch on December 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

They are require the same insurance. However they carry a higher priemium and coverages. Each volunteer fire company pays for this on their own with out tax payer assistance. Their fundraiser a pay for this. Keep in mind the average EMPTY fire engine cost 500,000 dollars and te hook and ladder truck empty 1,000,000 also all paid for with donations.

• Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Yes however there are two types of insurance. Replacement, or value. Most departments are now going with replacement insurance because of the increase in purchase cost of the apparatus.

4. ron anderson on December 23, 2013 at 9:14 am

First praying for the total recovery of these firemen . Hoping that seatbelts were on and saved some lives. The probable cause was the condition of the roads and or speed of the engine . I do know how the old heart beats if on a run … All E/O’s should take ALL training and precautions possible.. 35 years talking !

5. JJ on December 23, 2013 at 9:21 am

People don’t get that every response wether a traffic or fire may be the last day for any one responding!

6. John on December 23, 2013 at 9:38 am

Are we shocked by this these guys drive like idiots no concern for safety

• Really on December 23, 2013 at 12:03 pm

No concern for saftey? I guess you were there right. You have no proof of how fast they were going once the facts come out then run your mouth. We get to the scence as quickly and safely as possible When your house catches fire and were not there fast enough im sure it will be the other way around and you’ll want to know what took us so long.

• Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 1:17 pm

You sir are a moron. Let your house catch on fire and I’ll bet your the first person to complain that the fire engine took to long. Also have you ever thought that maybe it isn’t the fire engine driving fast but your perception based on being stationary or the fact that morons like yourself don’t follow the move over law and cause accidents like these?

• Dave on December 23, 2013 at 2:37 pm

“John” first and foremost show some respect for your fellow man that is lying in a hospital bed and my other three BROTHERS involved. Maybe instead of speculating the accident you should call the firehouse and send your prayers to your “brothers.” Fyi you’d make a great junior niosh investigator.

• None on December 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm

John,
        You are somewhat correct. I dont agree that there is no regard for safety. Im sure there is some regard given that. And You and I werent there, so we cant say exactly what happened.
        We can voice our opinions and observations based upon what we have seen in the past however, and I can say that I have seen this engine company driving like idiots. It’s not a perception issue or anything like that. I have seen this company, at times, drive their (our) equipment TOO FAST for any conditions.
        Dont give me road conditions or anything like that… It was 50 degrees, and the roads were a little wet. They, like any other driver, are expected to take existing road conditions into account when they are behind the wheel. Be it sun, rain, ice or snow; you are supposed to drive like you are cautious and responsible. Not like a kid trying to beat the other company to the scene. The desire to gain bragging rights by beating another comapany to the scene is just plain stupid. There’s nothng wrong with a lttile friendly rivalry, but putting others in the community in danger is not what we want you there for. If that’s your game, you need to learn how to act like an adult. This is two accidents now that this company has seriously damaged equipment. I this company doesnt end up with the reputation of killing either one of yourselves or a member of the community.

And Yes, If I call, I want you to come, but I dont want you to kill yourself or someone else while doing it. Id rather have you there a minute later, than not at all.
        And thank you for volunteering and helping the community.

• None on December 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm

meant to say:I hope this company doesnt end up with the reputation of killing either one of yourselves or a member of the community.

• anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Theres always that douchebag who wants to stir the pot

7. MS on December 23, 2013 at 9:49 am

I agree with KB, as I volunteer myself I see to many apparatus drivers (new and old) not operating in the safest manner while responding to an incident. I know the adrenalin starts pumping when the call goes out but these are big rigs that DO NOT handle like a car. We do not have full authority over the roads while responding; we have to stop at stop signs and red lights, not blow through them. We also have to drive at a reasonable speed, not pedal to the metal. I tell all new drivers I train to slow down, you’re not going to save a life if you can’t get there yourself. Yes, we all should have remedial EVOC training.

I don’t know the circumstances of this one and I’m in no way placing any blame in this accident. I am thankful that my fellow FF’s were all OK. Be safe out there…

8. KL on December 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

I agree this is a training issue. It is also about familiarity with the area. Anyone who has driven that piece of flat iron knows that curve before the stop sign/merge with drayden is fundamentally flawed. The pitch is negative for a left bank and more coffee has spilled there than anywhere. This time it was a big old spill of a very expensive county asset. Somebody in the cab should have called it or the driver should have been trained on areas in the county where the grade can bite you like that. I’m sure adrenaline had some blinding influence. Glad the truck broke but nobody else did.

9. diane on December 23, 2013 at 11:12 am

My prayer are with you guys in st. Marys glad to hear eveeyone is ok…my son and his crew 14. Just went threw that same mess…please all fire amd other veciheles please becarecareful due to the weather that we have been giving….you all are important to us..and we want you to make it home safe to your family too.god bless

10. Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yes fire trucks are insured. And that one was payed off. The house didn’t burn down. There wasn’t anything to it.

11. Anonymous on December 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Prayers to all of the firefighters involved. Prayers to the 4th firefighter that hasn’t been released yet!
    Some of these comments make me sick. Why focus on trying to find someone to blame when you don’t know all the details of what happened?! Were you there? Were you in the engine? No, so you have no room to make assumptions or place any blame. Yes the company had another accident in the past. That was weather related with icy/slippery road conditions. This could very well be a similar situation. Its not like these guys/girls make it their goal to crash a truck/engine and put their lives at risk. The members of Bdvfd take pride in their apparatus and wouldn’t take unnecessary risks to destroy any pieces of it. Accidents happen for a number of reasons and until you know all of the facts you shouldn’t assume anything.

12. Responder on December 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm

After reading the comments on here, I am shocked they are not much worse. I know it is easy to be a Monday morning quarter back, but you must put all variables into thought here. The weather was wet, probably foggy, the shoulder dirt is saturated and at the time these guys had no clue if the house was well off or if people were trapped. 911 does their best to get all the info, but can only go off what is given to them. I do not feel further training would have solved this issue as some have said.I have been in this position before myself. I am glad that the driver was able to ensure minor injuries instead of deaths and applaud his expert techniques to recover as he did. Next time you call 911 for an emergency to your home or family make sure you tell them to go slow and not worry about getting there in a hurry. Lets see how that works out for you.

13. Concerned Citizen on December 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm

First I hope that everyone is ok. I’ve been doing this job professionally and as a volunteer for well over 20 yrs now. Quick responses are important and precious minutes can literally mean the difference between life and death. That being said rollovers are being reported way to often in this news media, as I recall this is the second in less than a month. Precious minutes saved won’t matter a damn if the piece doesn’t get to the call. Some of this should be self-regulating (drive me around like an idiot and you will hear about it or worse) but that doesn’t seem to be working. I would think the state would have to step in and start investigating these incidents.

14. Big Dog on December 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm

It was a matter or time this was going to happen. Have you ever seen theses idoits drive.I never seen a fire department drive like this such as Bay District. They never slow down at any red lights like they are suppose to just blow thru it. Maybe they need to do some training and review the traffic laws and this wouldn’t cost us tax payers so much money.P.S. This time they torn up there fire truck next it could be some indicent person life.

15. Bryan Simmons on December 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

My brother and cousin volunteer on this department. Im thankfull this is one call thry missed. As a fellow former volunter fire fighter I understand the risks involved. Hope all involved recover fully.

16. Jeff Good on December 23, 2013 at 11:26 pm

may all the firefighters make a speedy recovery