Letter from Residents of a Hallowing Park Trailer

February 4, 2014

IMG_20131119_160055Our problems started from the very beginning when we moved in, February 2013. Within 2 weeks, our roof leaked in about 20 different places. I told Frank Moneymaker right away and a few days later he sent the Maintenance man down to paint some tar on it. The next time it rained, it of course leaked again. One more time the maintenance man did the same thing with the bucket of tar and again it leaked. I complained over and over again, but no one ever came back out to fix it. The leaks were so bad; we had to re-arrange our furniture, bed, TVs, etc so it didn’t get ruined. I am attaching pics of the leaks.

In addition to the major roof leaks, we had NO heat. We were told that the pellet stove in our unit was going to be fixed since they removed the furnace due to it not working. After being here for over a month, and complaining over and over since our house was about 30 degrees, the manager, Frank Moneymaker, did come look at the pellet stove. He could not figure out how to fix it. I suggested that they call someone who repairs pellet stoves but I was told “we can’t spend money on that”. We were given 2 really old kerosene heaters which were not capable of heating the house to a tolerable temperature. They also both smoked so badly that they turned portions of the ceiling black, constantly made our smoke detector go off and I could not breathe due to my asthma. We were told that in the spring they would be putting in a new furnace, which never happened and since it was the end of the winter, we dealt with the lack of heat thinking it would be taken care of before the next winter. That never happened. When the weather started getting cold again, we complained again about not having heat and was told they would be taking care of the issue.

IMG_20131118_132529I asked Mr. Moneymaker at the end of Oct when the heat issue was going to be taken care of and was told we needed to wait until after they collected the rent from everyone is the park for November. I was completed fed up at this point and re-submitted the complaint to the County that I originally submitted in Sept but never heard back from anyone. This time I was contacted by The Code and Inspections Dept and an inspection was set up for November 14th. On Nov. 12th, we were given 1 kerosene heater. Kerosene heaters do NOT meet the minimum livability requirement because they are not able to maintain the minimum temperature of 65 degrees, plus you cannot run them when you are sleeping or when you are not home. We have a dog, 2 birds and a fish tank so we would need to have heat for not only us but our animals also.

I went down to the Park office and delivered a letter stating we were having an inspection on November 14th and we were applying to the court to have our rent put in escrow. We were served with a 30 day eviction notice 2 days later which is supposed to be illegal to retaliate against tenants for contacting the inspector and Frank also filed a non-payment of rent with the court. The inspector came out to our home on Nov 14th and found several violations…Roof leaks, lack of heat, plumbing issues, and soft spots in the floor. A letter was issued to Mr. Moneymaker stating he needed to contact the Inspection office within 14 days so an Inspector could meet him at the property to show him what needed to be repaired.

IMG_20131118_132501That meeting took place on December 5th. A letter was sent giving Mr. Moneymaker 5 days to repair the heat and 30 days to make the other repairs or a civil citation would be issued. No repairs were ever made and after emailing Joe over and over to find out where we were at with things a civil citation was issued 2 months later and NO REPAIRS were ever made.

We went to court in the middle of November in front of Judge Riddle who postponed the hearing telling me to file a breach of lease against the landlord. A week later we went back to court in front of Judge Saunders, who postponed the hearing again saying I should not have filed a breach of lease against the landlord and had me file a rent escrow. 2 Weeks later on December 10th, we went back in front of Riddle, who at that time threw out Mr. Moneymakers nonpayment of rent for the months of November & December with no rent needing to be put into escrow. Mr. Moneymaker stated in court that he could not repair the roof while people were living in the home and Judge Riddle ordered us to vacate in 30 days. The roof just needed to be completed replaced from the outside which does not affect us at all living in the home.

Judge Riddle did not order any repairs to be made until we vacated the home. I appealed the decision because we feel like Mr. Moneymaker should have been ordered to make the repairs, not kick us out for trying to protect our rights by contacting the county about the conditions. We are set to go to court on February 13th.

IMG_20131118_132238In the beginning of January 2014, our pipes had frozen not only because it was so cold out, but we had no heat. We were living in 1 bedroom with our dog, birds and fish, running a propane heater. When the weather warmed up, the pipe under the kitchen sink busted. I called the emergency number, which is Mr. Moneymaker’s cell phone to let him know about the situation. He answered the phone and when I told him about the pipe he said “it’s not my f***** problem” and hung up. I called him back and he did not answer. I then sent him a text message that said “Ok, last straw…you can’t refuse to fix the plumbing that is leaking all over the place, there isn’t even a shut off valve”. (i still have the text in my phone) I got no response and waited to see if he was going to fix it. He sent the maintenance man to shut off the water outside the house. Not only did he shut off the water valve, he cut the water supply line and capped it. I called the man I was dealing with at the Code and Inspection Dept., Joseph Hawxhurst, and left a message to let him know about the water issue. The following week we got a call back from Joe stating he was trying to find out what he could do about it and that the Sanitation Dept. could also be involved because it’s also a sanitation issue.

We had to go to friends’ homes to take showers and fill buckets of water up to flush the toilet. I could not wash dishes or do laundry. Everything piled up fast. You don’t realize how hard it is to not have water until you don’t. The water line was NEVER repaired and NOTHING was done by the county even though they knew the day our water was shut off. Mr. Moneymaker also pressed charges on me for mis-use of telephone, harassment and obscene language when I called about the pipe busting even though his cell phone number IS the emergency number listed on our lease. I now have to go to court the end of Feb for that.

IMG_20131118_132507In the meantime, Mr. Moneymaker REFILED a non-payment of rent for November, December and Jauary even though it was thrown out a few weeks before by Judge Riddle. This time we went in front of Judge Saunders. I explained what happened at our previous court hearing and the fact that we still had no heat and that we had no had water for the last 3 weeks. It is supposed to be illegal for a landlord to cut off utilities but apparently the rules do not apply to Mr. Moneymaker. Judge Saunders asked why we did not vacate the property yet since Judge Riddle gave us 30 days and I explained that we filed an appeal which was scheduled for February 13th. We were ordered to pay rent of $700 something even though we were living with no water and no heat and appealed the 30 days Judge Riddle had given us. I’m not even sure what the point of us appealing was now.

There is no way we were going to give 1 penny to these slumlords. Especially after all that we had to endure for the last 11 months we lived there. We were basically forced to move out immediately because of Judge Saunders decision and could only find a small 1 bedroom apartment that we would be able to take our dog to and move in immediately. We had to get rid of a lot of our belongings because we did not have room to take them. We have spent so much extra money such as eating out because all our pots/pans were dirty and had no way to wash them, money on laundry because we could not use our washer/dryer, rented hotel rooms to take showers and stay warm when it was frigid cold, not to mention all the money it cost us to move even though we thought we took all the correct steps to protect our rights.

The stress of the situation has cause major issues in Blake and I’s relationship to the point that right now I am staying between a friend and my car.

He even got laid off from his job due to the stress impacting his energy, missing work because we were up all night freezing and impacting his overall performance. We were moving out the weekend the School officials were in the trailer park and spoke with them about our situation as well. I let them come in and take photos also.

Somehow Mr. Moneymaker is able to get away with NUMEROUS code violations as well. I sent photos to the county back in September of the Electric lines being only 2-3″ deep in the ground and NOTHING was done about that either. While Mr. Moneymaker claims that it is the code is grandfathered in, once you have to dig something up to fix it, you are required to put it up to current code. They had to fix/replace some electric lines because they had “hit” the electric line numerous times fixing a busted water pipe. They tried to fix it with electrical tape but eventually it melted the electric line and the trailer next to mine lost power. They had to dig up the line and replace the melted part which I took photos of. It is extremely dangerous to have electric lines barely in the ground. The county did NOTHING at all even after seeing the photos.

While I am glad that something is finally being done about this situation, the county really did not help us at all. We have been trying to fight for our rights for so many months now and even though the county knew we were living no heat and no water for the last 3 weeks, we were not offered any help, alternative housing or anything.

We have borrowed money from people for hotel rooms, etc because of how much extra it has cost us from not having heat or water. And we were basically forced out when all we were trying to do was get our landlord to repair our home. We are also trying to find a lawyer that will help us.

Lisa Hoffnagle
Blake Cooper
6844 Hallowing Lane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , ,

76 Responses to Letter from Residents of a Hallowing Park Trailer

1. Vicki Mathis on February 4, 2014 at 7:36 am

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. This is absolutely appauling. It is another example of how our judicial system works only for the people that have money or connections. I applaud you for going public with your story. I hope this gets resolved and the court systems do the right thing.

• Anonymous on February 5, 2014 at 11:02 am

You should pull up the boyfriend on case search – no stranger to the legal system

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 7:46 pm

What’s a case search on her boyfriend got to do with the price of rice in china?????

Hello!!!! Mr. Cop or Mr. Wanna-be-a-cop they were talking about a decent, warm place to live that they can afford!!!!!!!!

• Frank M on February 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Lisa & Blake, Did you not see or inspect the trailer before agreeing to moving into it?

• Resources on February 6, 2014 at 10:24 pm

This is no excuse for the situation or how it was handled!

2. Shannon on February 4, 2014 at 8:27 am

They should come on over to Adkins Road and look at 1/2 of those trailers that Ronnie Carter and Kit Kat wont fix, Moldy ceilings unlivable situations in some of those and they refuse to fix them.

• Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 5:13 pm

if they r so bad then why r people still living n them the trailers r better then they use to be so get your facts straight before u put stuff out there

• I'm sorry on February 5, 2014 at 7:57 am

Usually the option is rent from slumlords robe homeless. They know the position they put people who rent those places in. Nobody that can afford to pick up and move would rent those shabby places

• Shannon on February 5, 2014 at 10:03 am

Those Trailers are worse than ever, a flood comes and wipes them out because they don’t properly secure them, so the float right off of the blocks. Facts are I know people cant afford anywhere else so the don’t leave. They hold deposits because they have already spent the money, they have no intentions on fixing any one of the trailers, they just collect and spend and oh well if the ceiling is leaking.

• Outspoken on February 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm

They are that bad. Ronnie owes lot rent too! Kit Kat is and always has been a complete piece of TRASH! Same goes for her spawn as well. They are thieves! Her son has stolen the batteries out of boats there!

3. Eric on February 4, 2014 at 8:39 am

I don’t understand why you simply don’t move out after several attempt to get landlord to fix it. That house is suitable for a drug addict and not for you.

• Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 9:49 am

The fact that they didn’t move out could have been due to the lack of funds to obtain different housing. In the article the writer mentions rent was 700.00. I would like to know where else in Calvert a home suitable for multiple animals and people could be obtained for that kind of money.

• Outspoken on February 4, 2014 at 10:31 am

If you cannot afford to live any place other than these slums then perhaps you should not have animals. Not having those animals may have spared Blake from dealing with the courts on his Animal Control violation. Oh and then there’s his YEARS of pot charges that have probably cost him a bit of money to fight. Priorities, people. Priorities.

• Outspoken on February 4, 2014 at 10:32 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention his YEARS of other drug charges and assault charges as well.

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Outspoken – READ MY LIPS – LIVABLE,WARM HOUSING!!!! That’s what we are talking about.

• Eric on February 4, 2014 at 11:18 am

If you pay cheap, then expect a horrible service. That is always like that.

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Thank You, Eric for clearing that up for the rest of us – You must be a brain surgeon and the rest of us are stupid.

• ICALLBULL on February 4, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Well, it comes down to the fact that if you cannot afford the rent then you should not be trying to feed animals that you cannot afford either. I love pets as much as anyone else, but you have to be able to provide for yourself first. I do not pretend to know these people’s situations, but I assume most of these trailers are rented with our tax dollars. This in no way gives permission to a slum lord to deprive people, but the simple fact is if you work a little harder you live a little better. I was by no means born with a silver spoon, but I have a good job and travel all the time for it to afford a better life. I have no college degree and my income is in the 100,000 range. All I am saying is quit crying about it and be about it. I hear way to many people now a days saying they are not being treated equally. Try being a middle aged white man these days and see where that gets you anymore. Good luck in your journeys.

• Anonymous on February 5, 2014 at 1:00 am

If your making 100,000 it must be pretty good to be a middle ages white man. Try a little compassion for your fellow man or woman.

• ICALLBULL on February 5, 2014 at 7:19 am

I have plenty of compassion, I am just tired of people crying for change and not helping themselves. I would have flat moved at the first sign of an issue. There are such things as more than one job you know. I have worked several jobs at one time all of my life to get what I want and I don’t stand with my hand out. I hope these people get this issue worked out as no one should have to live like this, but make the changes yourself once in a while. Signed Taxed to death

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Middle age white man making 100K?????????

Try being a woman(white or black) with kids and a dead beat husband not providing any child support!!!!!!!!

• Outspoken on February 5, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I am one of those. YET, I still make it without living in these slums and subjecting my children to this crap!

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I forgot to add Middle age white man making 100K without a college degree?????????

Lay it on the line – what do you do for a living for 100K – please tell us so the rest of us can jump on the band wagon and not have to live in slums. Come on big guy tell us????

• Outspoken on February 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I am a single mother of 3 kids. I make $56k per year (no college degree) and do not live in the slums. I own my own home. It’s calling budgeting. Try it.

• Claire on February 4, 2014 at 10:00 am

That is a very ignorant comment. Not everyone has the money to just up and move. When you are a renter you have a lease, basically a contract. Breaking your lease can cost 2 months of rent. If you have been following this story, these are not the only residents that have issues which unfortunately took a long time to get a resolution process going. Unless you are or have been in the same situation, don’t just assume that picking up and leaving is easy.

• Eric on February 4, 2014 at 3:48 pm

He had all reason and justifications to break the lease contract. He could walk away without so many troubles.

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Eric – Your and idiot!!

Wake up and smell the coffee!!! – Jump into the real world with the rest of us any time!!

• pam on February 5, 2014 at 10:30 am

You are an idiot, anyone that is paying rent should not have to deal with that, I am aware of those people that own and run that place and they are nothing but pigs,taking advantage of people.

4. Outspoken on February 4, 2014 at 9:02 am

Good lord. If it was THAT bad then you could have moved out. It’s really just that simple. There are slums to rent anywhere. It’s not like that trailer park had a good reputation!

• Cyn on February 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

Why should they move out when they aren’t the ones in error? Better to stay and fight an injust situation than to give up and move and play no part in fixing it. Perhaps all that they are doing is going to improve conditions for other people in the future.

• dawn on February 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm

it is not at all that simple. it’s very obvious that you’re lucky enough to be financially soluble. But when you live somewhere in Calvert County that’s only charging $700 a month rent you live there because you have to which also means you probably don’t have the at least $1000 plus first months rent to move into a new place. So before you go judging how simple something is why don’t you try looking at the situation from a perspective that’s a little different than yours. Your lack of understanding is the reason that this old boys club in the county still exists.

• Been There on February 5, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Thank You Outspoken – are you and Eric friends!!!!!!

5. Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 9:09 am

I can’t even imagine what you’ve been through. I’m proud of you for standing up for your rights and trying to stop this sort of thing from happening but it always seems when you try to do the right thing it never works out in your favor. I think the other person is right this type of housing is not for someone like you. I hope you get into a nice place with heat and no issues soon. You deserve that.

6. Tony on February 4, 2014 at 10:04 am

You need to get a lawyer and have this taken care of. This is redicilious and something need to be done to people that do this kind of stuff. Nobody is above the law. Nobody!

7. Willard on February 4, 2014 at 10:13 am

Meanwhile, I’ve got a section eight house down the street with a babymama living high on the hog. She got all kinds of people up in the house with her. I feel bad for you, but ya’ll need to learn how to work the system. ……It is Maryland after all.

• I'm sorry on February 5, 2014 at 8:04 am

Section 8 is backed up over 8 years with no new vouchers being administered, know your facts people.

• SeeAch on February 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Actually, you are incorrect. It is backed up about 7 1/2 years… but they are still issuing vouchers! I just helped some very sweet, hardworking widow find are new home for her and her two kids, with her newly issued voucher. They just are not allowing any new people to apply, I believe the waiting list is closed right now. It is a wonderful program, for those that do not take advantage of it!

8. Brenda on February 4, 2014 at 11:03 am

The county and Moneymaker should be held responsible for the money and debt you have had to incur and hopefully now that it has been brought to light maybe their might be someone out their that might help you that won’t be so scared the county and politicians might retaliate against them. Keep fighting for everything in life and what kind of work does your husband do? has he gotten another job yet?

9. NoLongerAVictim on February 4, 2014 at 11:50 am

When the TRUTH comes out how Mr. Moneymaker was sexually exploiting women and teenage girls in that park in lieu of rent, I believe you will see a whole bunch of heads in the county start to roll…startin with HIS. It’s appalling that anyone had to live in these conditions. Kudos to the folks that reached out to their school teachers and even more kudos to the teachers that love those children they teach… if you ever think for a minute that someone doesn’t care about you, if you have a school-aged child, you better think again. Now, back to the sexual exploitation…. Mr. Moneymaker and his family wants to appear as a loving family man… okay, maybe so… but making advances on women and girls in front of the men in their lives, KNOWING these folks are hard up on their luck… limited incomes, not a lot of choices for affordable housing in the area…these MEN had no choice but to sit back and watch this grown monster hit on their women…or be thrown out of their homes.. who does this to people? a sick sick man does. just wait. and just watch. the truths are just starting to come out. if CCSO starts asking the real victims in this situation…. i’ll bet you have a handful come forward and answer affirmatively that YES, mr. moneymaker HAS offered/asked for sexual favors in lieu of rent and discounted rent. Mr. Mona… he picked a fine man to operate/manage his fine establishment of a mobile harm park. NOT! Mr. Moneymakers family ought to shuddering with shame…not speaking and outspeaking what a righteous man he is. Judicial system may be lacking, but come judgement day, GOD will demand the answers..he knows the truth already. if and when i am asked.. i WILL BE ANSWERING AFFIRMATIVELY that mr moneymaker has sexually exploited the residents of the hallowing point mobile home community.

10. seth on February 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

who wants to live in a slum anyway..

11. One of His on February 4, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Praying for you and know Gods will to be done. You are amazing for coming forward. How many others have not spoken up. You are the light to correcting the situation. Please visit the local churches for resources that is Gods will. Peace ,comfort and safety are included in my prayers for you. God Bless You

12. lisa on February 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Let me clarify, our rent was $1050 a month. The judge prorated the rent for a partial month. We did not realize things were going to go, we expected to get the repairs fixed. We loved living on the water and we were not in a position financially to come up with another security deposit. When someone rents a property, its the landlords responsibility to make repairs as needed. I never knew that a landlord could get away with what they have.

13. The Other Side on February 4, 2014 at 12:53 pm

“Judge Saunders asked why we did not vacate the property…” Why did you stay there that long waiting for “your rights?” If you didn’t like the place, ahhhh but it was all you could afford, just move out. And what rights? Please explain. Yes i agree, if the Land Lord was collecting money with expectations of having to provide a service and he didn’t, yes i can agree with you on that. If he did not provide what you expected, LEAVE!!!

14. Paula Hewlett on February 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I lived in the same trailer park in 2004, I had a tone of problems with my dwelling as well. when I first moved in I had to get propane for my stove and water heater. I was lucky to have had an excellent relationship with our grounds keeper and maintence man. they tried to fix what they could, but I took my case farther up to Mr James Underwood. he no longer lives in the area, although he didn’t when I lived there either he had an excellent looking old country farm house in St. Mary’s county. I am surprised Mike Mona the owner now, hasn’t been made to answer to the charges. He is the one responsible for where the money comes from to make repairs and upkeep of HIS PROPERTY which he gets to claim as a business on his taxes. When I lost my job and faced eviction, Underwood took my boat hooked up to his truck, which Calvert county police let him do. anybody else would have been arrested for grand theft. (the boat was a 30ft on a trailer Raven) when I went to make a report Md state police and Calvert county told me he’d give back to me if I paid my back due rent. I filed charges with Housing Authority and all the others I could think of, they didn’t do what I hoped. in that eviction I lost all my belongings, pictures, memories, projects, propane tank I had to pay for because Underwood wouldn’t let me take it, a window air conditioner I put in, he wouldn’t let me have back furniture, heirlooms, the only thing police could do was keep me off the property and from getting my stuff

15. Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

‘Mr. Moneymaker’…a slumlord managing a trailer park full of rundown trailers in southern Maryland. You just can’t make this stuff up.

I applaud you for sticking to your guns and taking your case to the authorities…although your side of the story makes it sound like the various ‘authorities’ really don’t know what they are doing! If you have the time, don’t let this go! Mr. Moneymaker needs to give ya’ll back some of that money! Good luck. Maybe you will be allowed to update this story.

16. Anon on February 4, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I applaud you for being brave and going public against landlords like this! Hickory Hills was pretty bad too. Multiple calls to maintenance for no power and AC being out for DAYS and nothing ever got fixed. Then during the final inspection after days of cleaning they blame some marks THEIR inspector made on us. Some places are just ridiculous! So glad we moved out of there!

17. Rick on February 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and aplaud you for bringing this to light for the residents of Calvert county to see. I can only hope that your information is seen by the elected officials in Calvert County and something is done. I personally will be asking anyone running for office in the future to give me details on how they will handle this slum!

18. anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 2:13 pm

My opinion is All the residents PAST and PRESENT should get lawyers, this kind of thing should not be allowed to ever happen again, they take advantage of the desperate,down and out and people who have low to no income from the loss their jobs, homes ect…

I young female I know rented a unit in the building on the river there around 2011. she didnt have much money and was serious need of a place to live.. after she moved in she called me several times about mr. moneymaker bothering her.. I was even at her unit on one occasion where we locked the door and were talking then all of a sudden mr.moneymaker came walking in with a key in his hand like it was his home. He is disgusting !!!! her apt was broken into several times and no one would fix the window so they kept climbing in, then come to find out that Mr.moneymaker hired the young drug addicted woman who had been breaking in the unit to work at the trailer park cleaning and doing OTHER things for him, then I was told by a few residents that he was letting the girl stay in other peoples trailers when they were out of town and one woman came home to find her sleeping in her bed.. also the river flooded the unit out with 2-3 feet of water, they didnt care they had the nerve to ask for the rent..the red cross put some residents up in hotels for a few days but they lost everything..the place was a disgusting health hazard…she made several calls to different county offices trying to get help and report the disgusting living conditions, I even helped her send a letter and pictures: SEE BELOW

To whom it may concern,

I thought you should be informed that the place in which I am living (6848 Hallowing Lane, Apt- ,Prince Frederick MD 20678)
    I think may need to be condemned due to these issues.
    PLEASE HELP!!!

1 :) black mold growing up the wall
    2 :) standing water in the bathroom
    3 :) roof leaks in bedroom
    4 :) sub pump in bedroom floor overflows regularly
    5 :) only one window in the entire apartment opens
    6 :) shower leaks
    7 :) exposed plug sockets
    8 :) exposed wiring
    9 :) Entire apartments floods when heavy Rain (at least 1 to 2 feet of
    water) from being on river
    10 :) fire alarm does not work
    11 :) have to snake out the toilet out on a regular basis in order to be able to keep using it
    12 :) Standing water inlet 2 to 3 feet from apartment

Any help you could possibly give me would be greatly appreciated.

(I tried to post the photos too but this web site wont let me.)

This has been going on for years, No one ever did anything about it. Just type in hallowing point trailer park…or frank moneymaker …or mike mona or southern maryland slum lords in your search bar and you will see. or copy and paste this.

19. Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 4:21 pm

There but for the grace of God I go.

• Above You on February 5, 2014 at 5:58 am

Quoting scripture isn’t much help…

20. Truth Hurts on February 4, 2014 at 4:45 pm

The bigger issue there is no affordable housing in Calvert County so folks have no choice but to live in sub standard housing!
    If the owners of the trailer park would spend some money REPLACING the old trailers they could charge more money for rent, and the renters would have a better place to call home. Trailers get run down faster then a house would so they need constant repairs and replacing at some point.

Bottom line is Calvert County needs more affordable, decent housing!

• jo mama on February 5, 2014 at 9:37 am

Oh sure. See how that’s working out for Charles County. (please pick up on the sarcasm)

• Anon on February 6, 2014 at 9:16 am

Why do we need to bring the housing price down in the county? If you can’t afford to live there then move!

This isn’t the “everybody gets a prize” version of housing. More Low Income housing is just going to bring in the crime. Can’t afford Calvert? Try St. Mary’s. Still Can’t afford it? Try Charles. It sickens me that so many people think they deserve handouts nowadays.

• Truth Hurts on February 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Who said anything about a hand out or lowering the price of homes?!?! Its clear you know nothing about real estate ’cause home prices have been falling in Cowvert County since 2008! Just check your home value compared to what you owe, idiot!
        And affordable housing is housing comparable to the areas median income!

21. lisa on February 4, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thank you for all your positive comments. For those who said we should just move, it isnt that easy, not to mention we have spent hundreds of dollars on court costs and numerous other expenses because of this situation. Why should the landlord not just fix the home? We are NOT on section 8, we work and pay our bills ourselves, mostly living paycheck to paycheck. We lost tons of our belongings because of having to move to such a small place considering we went from a 3 bedroom 2 bath doublewide to a 1 bedroom apartment.

• Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Mr. Moneymaker was wrong. If you are going to rent out property, a room or anything for someone else to live in there are guidelines to make it livable. There are laws and regulations in place to protect people. It is ignorant of people to place the blame on you both, animals or not..there is no excuse for the roof condition, heat, and water loss. No matter the price they charge it needs to be safe to live in. The judicial system has a requirement to protect the people from scum like this. And people what the hell does someones past run ins with the law have to do with a leaking roof? What the hell does someones past have to do with a broken, unfixed furnace? Seriously people if you were renting some place and something breaks wouldn’t you want it fixed, or would you be ok when the landlord ignores it because you had traffic violations… GROW UP!!

22. Anonymous on February 4, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I feel your pain. The Calvert County court system sucks. You never have the same judge and then they reschedule and make you, the plaintiff, do more work and jump through hoops while the defendant gets away with doing NOTHING. One judge even told me to get a lawyer because the judges are not there to coach you. When I got a lawyer, it cost me more money and the same thing happened. He got away with not doing anything or paying what was due. I think an investigation of the current Calvert County Court system should be required. These judges are horrible.

23. Anonymous on February 5, 2014 at 5:33 am

The reason you are forced to live in sub par housing Is due to the fact one of you might not pass a background checks. I looked both you and Mr Cooper on MD case search and Mr Cooper has a colorful past. Your actions will always come back to haunt you. I do not think what Mr Moneymaker is doing is fair, however, you have put yourself in this boat. I pray that the both if you find suitable housing and become lawful abiding citizens.

24. Glad to be gone on February 5, 2014 at 6:30 am

This really happens in Calvert County, there are plenty of slumlords that have judges in their pockets. I would not pay a cent into rent or escrow and would be looking for a good lawyer from out of county you have one hell of a lawsuit here and the two judges Riddle and Saunders should be trown off the bench…

25. KeepItReal on February 5, 2014 at 7:09 am

Paul M, are you paying attention to this story? Better fix that condo up or you may be next!

26. Anonymous on February 5, 2014 at 7:58 am

As a previous poster stated, maybe your money would be better spent on a better place to live than on drugs, attorney’s fees and court costs. I am sick and tired of people who cry poor mouth yet still have money for the luxuries such as cell phones, computers and internet access. You have no business keeping pets if you cannot even support yourselves.
    I had renters that lied to live in my rental, stating that they had two children when in fact they had five. They failed to pay rent several times and when I finally chose to evict, they trashed my home. In the meantime, they went to local churches and government organizations to collect funds to pay back rent and gather enough money to find their next gullible landlord. All this was done as the drove their Hummer back and forth to Best Buy, where I ran into them buying a laptop.
    Wake up people. While I realize that there are many that truly need help, more often than not, peolle are just abusing the system. I sympathize with the people that truly need help but you people that are abusing the system need to stop. You are the reason you are in this predicament. Do something to change it and stop looking for everyone else to fix YOUR problems.

27. I'm sorry on February 5, 2014 at 8:14 am

Has anyone reached out to the television news stations (7 on your side)to bring this to light? Contacted your congressman? I know from experience just going to the congressman’s office with your info makes a big difference.

28. jeff pendleton on February 5, 2014 at 8:46 am

We lived there when we first moved to the county for about 6 months and the conditions where the same then 10 years back.but like a lot of comments we could not afford anything elese at the time.its not right how he has made a liveing off of people who can’t afford better.back when we lived there he was charging $1000 a month and wouldent do anything towards fixing problems his answer was evict keep deposit and put another familly in need into trailor.why if a drug dealer breaks the law he goes to jail but so called slum landlords who break law and steal money for services not renderd live high on the hog in this county.

29. Anonymous on February 5, 2014 at 9:09 am

Keep fighting. Don’t give up. Some of the people who have previously commented should look up empathy. There is no reason to be rude towards someone who is fighting for their rights. Your income SHOULDN’T change your rights but it’s common in Southern Maryland.
    I think the people who have had previous experience with the same landlord should join and help one another. Someone needs a law suit that would put him at or below the same income level.
    Good luck to you. I’m proud of you for coming forward.

30. dee snutts on February 5, 2014 at 9:32 am

Step your job game up so you don’t have to live in a home with wheels.
    Sometimes sacrifices need to be made, get rid of the pets and focus on the well being of the children. If I understand correctly, it took the school system to alert folks about this mess. As parents you owe it to your children as providers. If you can provide, don’t procreate and blame the system for your ineptitude.

31. Frank Moneymaker on February 5, 2014 at 10:21 am

You did sign off a pre-move-in form that there was no issues with the house… you live, you learn… next time inspect the trailer a little better.

32. NoLongerAVictim on February 5, 2014 at 10:39 am

Mr. Moneymaker apparently isn’t making all that much ‘money’ himself… LOL.. has anyone looked HIM up in md judiciary…. foreclosure on his own home in lusby… twice… 2nd one and most recently, his house was SOLD in auction… real property database shows national mortgage now owns it. was he padding the rent due from these folks to pay his own mortgage bill? have taxes on all these properties been paid? there are A LOT of dimes that can be dropped here folks… fight fire with fire. when one doesnt live in a glass house, one shouldnt start throwing stones. THROW BACK, people…!!! there are plenty of stones Mr. Moneymaker can have thrown his way…. his is no saint… skeletons in his closet… all you have to do is look around. as for the rest of the issues in calvert….Maryland Bar Administration… there are ways to fix the judicial system. research it.

33. Colt on February 5, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Apparantly one of the directors of the health dept was put on 10 day administrative leave concerning conlict of interest. Paul Mcfadden

34. Dixie on February 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm

A landlord is required by law to make repairs that effect the health and safety of the tenant (heat, water, etc.) It does not matter if you pay $100 in rent or $2000 in rent, it is required by law that these repairs be made. Half the people on here act like because her rent is low she should expect these problems. NO.

35. Doug on February 5, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Who actually owns this property? What county employee was responsible for inspecting it. Let’s hear a name. I’m sure someone knows.

• NoLongerAVictim on February 5, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Michael Mona is the owner of the property…. M&D Partners, Inc (Shaun Donnelly) and Hallowing Point, LLC (Stephen Scott, Esq. … yes, Esquire…Attorney at Law …in Charles Co.) are the investment/management companies listed for the mobile home park. Frank Moneymaker is the landlord. “Outspoken” on this public forum would be his daughter, Tracy, as well as every other “anonymous” response in which there is a defense given to these criminals. Love it how Mr. Moneymaker has shown himself commenting on here as well….perhaps someone else has commented ‘on his behalf’ or just someone using his name… either way, obviously he has not contacted an attorney yet, or is just too stupid to listen to their counsel advice…or he would know to KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT, not to comment as this WILL end up in litigation and everything and anything he says or WRITES can be used against him. doh! FOOL!

• Outspoken on February 10, 2014 at 11:32 am

You are WRONG. I do not know this family and have NO affiliation with him. Soooooooooo wrong.

36. NoLongerAVictim on February 5, 2014 at 11:03 pm

37. Anonymous on February 6, 2014 at 10:09 am

As long as the county has allowed this to go on I have to wonder how much back door politics Moneymaker and some of the current and past county commissioners or officials have going on. Anyone that has driven on 231 and looked at the traler park could see it was a rat hole. Commissioner Slaughenhoupt stated that the County Health Department officials should be fired over this. What about his role and that of the other commissioners role in allowing this to continue for years.

38. I.P. Freely on February 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

The fact of the matter is, WE ALL WANT A WARM PLACE TO LIVE. The fact of the matter is also, that I busted my ass to get all of that. I have a college degree and paid my own way through college. Now that I have a family (and pets) of my own, I would flip hamburgers at mcdonalds or shovels sh*t to ensure that my responsiblities were taken care. How about a little self-responsiblity here? That place has not recently developed into the slum that it is. It has been that way for many many years. There are other options, this man seems lazy in my opinons.. or maybe his poor background check and numerous criminal might minimize his chances of getting approved for a loan or allowing him entrance into another trailor park. For instance, there is a trailor for sale now in Boone’s estates for $30,000.00. Given a loan and lot rent, he would roughly spend about $750.00 a month for a place to live he would eventually own. So while you continue to mention that “everyone should have an affordable place to live” remember that their are other options, but people like yourself who enable pure laziness allow these type of individuals to keep riding the system on our tax dollar. Moreover, his criminal record obviously does matter especially if he has looked into these other options without any luck due to his circumstances.

39. anonymous on February 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Actually I find it quite humorous. Your both trash and karmas a bitch!