Letter to the Editor Regarding Cole Bros Circus Animal Abuse

May 6, 2014

protest sad elephants 010Once again the circus has come to St. Mary’s County. Before heading out to see a show, please take a moment and Google “Cole Bros Circus animal abuse,” what you will find is disgusting.

Cole Bros has been cited repeatedly by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for “failure to correct previously identified noncompliance.” They have repeatedly disregarded laws by not providing the minimum standards of care and procedures of their animals. The document can be read HERE.

We feel our citizens, particularly our youth:
1) deserve entertainment that does not stem from or result in the abuse of animals
2) do not deserve to have their money used to pay for fines imposed by animal abuse charges and illegal business practices
3) reside in a community that is more proactive, progressive and educated than this

sadWe should not welcome a for-profit business with a legacy of illegal activity to come into our community, take our money and return year after year to profit off of their exploitation and mistreatment of wild animals.

Help us to make ONE positive outcome of the Cole Bros Circus’ visit to Leonardtown – an outcome that adds St. Mary’s County to the growing list of regions who do not welcome animal abuse and licensing violations as an acceptable form of entertainment.

Together, community by community, we can make the circus dissolve and help save animals from a life of torture.

Barb W.

protest sad elephants 003protest sad elephants 007 protest sad elephants 009 protest sad elephants 010 sad2 sad protest sad elephants 001

24 Responses to Letter to the Editor Regarding Cole Bros Circus Animal Abuse

1. Bobby on May 6, 2014 at 10:41 am

I’m going to the circus

• Gill on May 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Good for you. Your money can support animal cruelty. Happy now ?

• Jay on May 6, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Better than my money supporting the leaches of our society for decades….

• -.- on May 7, 2014 at 8:31 am

You just contradicted yourself.
          To break it down for you; “Better than my money supporting the leaches of our society…”
          The article says the following “Cole Bros has been cited repeatedly by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for “failure to correct previously identified noncompliance.”

USDA is telling them to fix something that they are doing WRONG in our society, and yet the continue to do it. Complete disregard and YOU keep going back and spending your money THUS supporting the leaches of our society…..for decades.

• Anonymous on May 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm

me too

2. Anonymous on May 6, 2014 at 10:51 am

Speaking of the circus, what’s with all the clowns holding signs?

3. hate hypocrites on May 6, 2014 at 10:58 am

I have a problem with these people. These are the same people who own cats, dogs, birds, fish, ferrets or whatever they associate as “pets” in there homes. Putting your pets in cages when you leave the house, putting a leash or chain around their neck, obedient school, degrading them by spaying and neutering and not having the right to reproduce, limiting their inability to roam, getting angry because they poop on the floor or chew and scratch up your new carpet. All of these are considered inhumane so who are you to judge the circus when you are doing some of the same things, but difference is that it is socially acceptable.

• Gill on May 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm

You don’t seem well informed. Circuses have abused animals for years. Google this circus or any circus and find countless violations, all in the name of greed. The ways they “teach” them tricks includes violence which is the major concern. Interesting your point “the right to produce”. Animals don’t mate for pleasure, they do it from instinct. When the instinct is gone after being spayed/neutered, problem solved. Do you have any clue how many animals are killed every year the by THOUSANDS across the US simply from being born ? Or maybe they are adopted and gee, they peed on your carpet, or heaven forbid you had a baby so the dog or cat has to go. Then you have those who breed for money or profit from abuse, like circuses. Being responsible is all any of us can ask. We all know how that turns out.

• -.- on May 7, 2014 at 8:38 am

There is a large difference between a pet and a animal being caged and used for entertainment. I put my dog on a leash to help keep my dog safe. There are laws that must be abided by and I choose to follow them. Keeping my dog clean, healthy, loved, and cared for. That is not what is happening here. You are comparing apples to oranges. Please don’t be niave or interpret my comment in a negative light. We all don’t know what we don’t know, but to find out and then do nothing about it makes the person part of the growing problem of society. We need to all stand together and do the right thing more, there is no super hero that is going to come along and do it for us. It’s up to us all, and I think that a circus CAN be a great family experience and a form of entertainment. I just do not think that what the Cole Bro’s circus does to it’s animals is alright. Just take some time and think about it, don’t make up your mind to STAND UP for every wrong thing but to do something minor now can have a greater effect for many later. “Great men plant seeds for trees the know they will never see the shade of.”

• Hate Ignorance on May 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

Your logic (and grammar) is entirely flawed.
      Cages are unnecessary as long as the animal is well trained and taken care of, and leash laws actually do exist. (Although I have a massive backyard with a fence and my dogs just kind of run around and play.) I’ve never taken a dog to obedient school because I know how to train a dog successfully without being abusive. Spaying and neutering actually cuts down on the overpopulation problem in shelters (which keeps them from being euthanized after three days of being there). I limit my dogs’ abilities to roam because people in my neighborhood drive like morons and I would prefer not to wake up to my dogs dead on the side of the road. Yeah, I get upset when they crap on the floor because it’s disgusting, and of course I get upset when they chew. I really liked that pair of shoes. I don’t abuse them because of it, though. I sternly say “no” and lightly bop them on the nose, which is probably a much nicer punishment than when you were spanked as a child. (I assume you were spanked as a child, because I hope your parents weren’t the “self-esteem is everything” types). None of what I do is considered inhumane. Much of what I do is for their safety.
      Kindly, go educate yourself before posting any further comments.

• Hate Hypocrites on May 13, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I’m not comparing apples to oranges, sweetheart. I’m simply trying to prove to these “animals should live in their natural habitat” people that their hypocrites. They are doing the exact same thing that these damn circus freaks are only that it is socially acceptable. Nobody would even think twice about how somebody treats an animal. Shoot….half of you eat animals but your such an “animal activist”….oh yeah..but you don’t kill them so i guess that makes you so different. I’m fully aware of the Cole Bros Circus animal cruelty and I have read numerous articles about it and its sad but just know this….everyone is entitled to their opinion including me. It’s free press and I have the right to express HOW I FEEL.

4. UGH on May 6, 2014 at 11:11 am

i will not be supporting this kind of animal cruelty. Might as well give the animals to Kenny Woodburn or that puppy killer…. so sad :(

• Gill on May 6, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Exactly ! Thank you !!

5. Anonymous on May 6, 2014 at 11:24 am

I wish that this protest had been more widely known about. i would have loved to join you.

• Gill on May 6, 2014 at 3:28 pm

You still can ! Be there anytime from 3:30 on.

• Eric on May 7, 2014 at 8:39 am

I might have to come join as well! This sounds like a great idea. When does the circus leave?

6. Gill on May 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Thank you for speaking up ! More people should do so. I will be at the protest tonight.

7. John on May 6, 2014 at 5:17 pm

It is sad to see any animal to be put on display for our entertainment ie sea world or zoos. How would you feel.

• Jay on May 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Really? Get a grip on reality man.

8. Anonymous on May 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm

so glad peta made it on one of the signs…..do your research they are connected to known domestic terrorist ray cornado who fire bombed a michigan state u lab….they have given over $75,000 to him and his father….they have also sent speakers to schools that have taught the kids how to make Molotov cocktails….they even euthanize 2/3 of the animals they claim to save….

9. Aaron on May 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Cruelty dressed up like family entertainment is still cruelty.

• Gill on May 7, 2014 at 10:24 am

Touche ! and thank you for the great point !!!!

10. Think on May 7, 2014 at 8:14 am

Overall I support the “protesters”, animals do have a right to a happy life. There is no excuse for the mistreatment of animals. However, making signs that state, “Your fun is their misery”, can be misunderstood. Some may feel that blame is being put toward the general public, which does nothing but turn them off. In this situation, the general public is who you want as an ally, keep the blame where it belongs – on the circus not the general public.

11. Anonymous on May 9, 2014 at 5:19 pm

After taking our daughter to this circus years ago & seeing some of the animal acts, we were horrified. Afterwards we googled Cole Bros circus and read the list of abuse charges. We haven’t been back since.