House Destroyed by Carelessly Discarded Cigarette

October 5, 2011

Maryland State Fire Marshalls are investigating a house fire in La Plata that left over $150,000.00 in damages.

Over 40 firefighters from Bel Alton, Waldorf, Bryans Road, La Plata, Mechanicsville, Hughesville and Newburg VFD’s responded to 11635 Farm Drive on Oct. 4 around 4:15 p.m., for report of a fire.

Crews arrived on the scene to discover a two story wood framed home with fire showing from the front porch.

The fire was determined to be accidental as a result of a cigarette being discarded into and igniting materials in a trash can. The single occupant of
the house has been displaced and is being assisted by family members.

No injuries were reported.

Tags: , , ,