On Thursday March 12 at approximately 4:20 p.m., Tower 9 was returning from assisting with a technical rescue in Calvert County, when they were dispatched to the PNC bank at 22658 Three Notch Rd for a report of an allergic reaction with breathing difficulties. While in route Medic 2 arrived on scene and advised CPR was in progress, Tower 9 arrived a short time later and pulled into the parking lot to find a young male in his late teens laying on the pavement with Medic 2 already performing CPR. It was discovered from family members on scene that the young man began having an allergic reaction, which affected his breathing and led to a cardiac arrest. Ambulance 399 arrived on scene and began packaging the patient for transport and continued CPR efforts. After several cycles of CPR a pulse was regained on the patient. Members of the Department learned recently that the young man was doing well and was due to be released from the ICU and sent home soon.
On Wednesday March 18 at approximately 9:38 p.m., Company 9 was dispatched to the WalMart located at 45485 Miramar Way in California for a reported CPR in progress within the store. Engine 91 arrived on scene and made a quick entry into the produce section of the store where an unconscious male was laying in one of the aisles. After a quick check of the patient’s vitals it was determined that he was in cardiac arrest and CPR efforts were started. An off duty ALS provider from Charles County EMS as well as a Paramedic from St. Mary’s ALS unit were present in WalMart and assisted with life saving efforts. LPVRS Ambulance 387 arrived on scene and assisted with CPR efforts while the patient was being evaluated by an on scene AED, a shock able rhythm was detected and after a shock was administered, the patient was loaded into the ambulance and transported to the Maryland State Police hanger to be airlifted by Trooper 7 to Southern Maryland Hospital Center.
The members of the Bay District Volunteer Fire Department wish both patients a speedy recovery and are very glad that they were able to help them in their time of need. The Bay District Volunteer Fire Department would also like to encourage members of the general public to become CPR/AED certified so that someday whether you’re at the bank or the local Wal Mart you may just be able to help save a life!