House Fire in Scotland Ruled Arson by State Fire Marshall

May 13, 2015

20150512_172416On Tuesday, May 12, 2015, at approximately 4:45 p.m., firefighters from Ridge VFD, Bay District VFD, Hollywood VFD, Seventh District VFD, Second District VFD, Leonardtown VFD, and NDW Webster Field were alerted to report of a house fire, at 12525 Point Lookout Road, in Scotland.

Crews arrived on scene to discover 2 story single family dwelling on fire with heavy fire showing.

It took approximately 30 minutes for over 50 firefighters to bring the blaze under control.

A 17 year old male occupant was transported by State Police Helicopter to MedStar Washington Hospital Center for non-life threatening 1st and 2nd degree burns.

Maryland State Fire Marshals were called to the scene and the fire was determined to have been intentionally set in the kitchen of the dwelling after a domestic dispute.

The occupants of the home were displaced as a result of the fire and are being assisted by American Red Cross.

The total damages to the structure and contents was estimated at $125,000.

The investigation is continuing.

20150512_172416

10 Responses to House Fire in Scotland Ruled Arson by State Fire Marshall

1. Bruno Mars on May 13, 2015 at 2:22 pm

That house is a historic landmark and sh1theads have ran it into the ground

• Kristen on May 13, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I grew up playing in that house.it was My grandaddy’s home. My mom grew up in that home. I had a horse named gypsy there. This is heartbreaking

• Kristen on May 13, 2015 at 7:54 pm

My parents were married under that tree. It was a very happy place and special to all of us.

• Christina on May 14, 2015 at 10:56 am

Very sad :-(

• Anonymous on May 15, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Right in the feels.

2. dissident on May 13, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I think the house insurance will not cover an intentionally arson burnt house. Am I correct? I feel sorry for the homeowner of that house.

3. Nick on May 13, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I lost my cousin, her grandson and a baby that my cousin was watching 5 years ago to an arson fire in my home town of Columbus, Ohio.
    To this date, the person that started it has not been arrested. The police know he did it based on threats he made to the baby’s mother.
    The punk has an “alibi.” I hope that the young man that was injured in this fire will heal. My heart goes out to the family. I hope they get the
    person or persons that started this fire.

4. Anonymous on May 14, 2015 at 8:19 am

I remember when I was little and we learned in school about “telescope houses”. I remember always passing this house as a kid thinking it was the coolest thing. Sad what has become of it. It used to be a very pretty house.

5. Jessica on May 14, 2015 at 11:46 am

This is my Uncle’s house and it is very tragic that they lost everything. I feel like if you don’t know the whole story you have no right to speak on it and call anyone a punk. The news doesn’t know the whole story and what exactly happened. Right now all my family needs are prayers that my cousin will have a fast recovery and they will be able to work through his tough time. All I can do is keep thinking positive that everything will work out.

• Anonymous on May 15, 2015 at 8:47 am

The person who said the word “punk” in their comment wasn’t referring to this incident. Although I feel very sad for the young man hurt in the fire, I do not feel sorry for the person who intentionally tried to burn the house down. I am sorry that your family is having a hard time as well, and I do wish the young man has a fast recovery.