• Raising the road profile at the intersection of Main Street and Church Street three feet to enhance visibility;
• Installing a raised brick island to create a right-turn lane from Main Street to Church Street;
• Constructing Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant brick sidewalks on Church Street between Heritage Blvd. and Main Street and on Main Street between Old Field Lane and Armory Road;
• Installing bicycle compatible shoulders;
• Improving drainage in the projects limits and
• Resurfacing and restriping the highways.On Sunday August 2 at approximately 11:00 pm, crews will temporarily close the Main Street and Church Street intersection and detour traffic. The closure will last for eight weeks. Click here for more information about the project.
Church Street Detour:
• Motorists traveling on Church Street toward Main Street will be detoured to a left onto Heritage Blvd., a left onto Traditional Way, a right onto MD 2/4, a right onto Commerce Lane and a right back onto Main Street
• Local traffic on Church Street will have access to residences and businesses. Church Street will be closed just beyond the Trinity Church parking lot. There will be no access onto Main Street from the Trinity Church parking lot.
Main Street Detour:
• Main Street will be closed between Armory Rd and Duke Street. Local traffic will have access to residences and businesses.
• Motorists traveling southbound on Main Street will be detoured to a left onto Armory Road, a right at the roundabout onto West Dares Beach Road and a left onto MD 2/4.
• Motorists traveling on northbound Main Street will be detoured to a left onto Duke Street, a right onto MD 2/4, a right onto Commerce Lane and right onto Main Street.
SHA awarded the $3.5 million contract to Corinthian Contractors, Inc. of Upper Marlboro. Construction will start next week and is projected to be completed in the fall of 2017; weather permitting. Crews are permitted to work 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. during the day, and 9 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. Customers with questions about this projects may contact the District 5 Office at 410-841-1000 or toll-free at 1-800-331-5603 or by email at email@example.com.
Motorists are encouraged to obey all detour signs within the project limits. SHA may use electronic message boards, construction cones and barrels to direct motorists through the work zone. As crews work to keep work zones safe, we ask that each driver actively modify his or her driving style to help prevent crashes. Stay alert – look for reduced speed limits, narrow driving lanes and highway workers. Slow down and don’t follow too closely. Safer Driving. Safer Work Zones. For Everyone.