July 27, 2016

38750559_origIt is no secret our department along with every department in the County has seen a major increase in responses due to drug overdoses. Specifically overdoses involving opiates. We have always and will continue to provide the highest level of service to our citizens regardless for the reason that we have been called upon. We are not in the business of judging our customers and we take pride in providing our services, whether you are a multimillionaire or homeless, you receive the same treatment from our volunteers and our career Advanced Life Support Partners.

We ask one favor of the friends and relatives of a patient that may be on the scene of a possible opiate overdose. Please tell the truth to the Fire and EMS personnel on the scene regarding the type of drugs your friend or loved one may have taken. We have the ability to administer life saving measures immediately to possibly save the patients life. We can not effectively provide the highest level of care if we are not being given the entire story behind the patients condition. As stated, we do not judge, we do not arrest people and we will not stop trying to save your love ones life. In the case of opiate overdoses, time is critical to administer opiate counteracting measures, so please, as soon as Fire and EMS responders arrive on the scene, tell us if your unconscious friend or relative could be suspected of taking opiates. Help us, help them.

Thank you.

9 Responses to Public Service Announcement from the Bryans Road Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad

1. Anonymous on July 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm

It is sad to think about valuable resources being used to treat people for their poor decisions. I know that poor decisions account for many of their calls be it drunk driving or some idiot shorting their jump off the roof into a pool but things like that are usually infrequent. Now there is a new breed of idiot that seems to think they can stop after putting that first needle in their arm and then wakes up one day and realizes they are hooked. It is these people that drain millions in donation and tax dollars and in most cases they are not and have never been contributors. I don’t know how these people justify their addiction they have gotten themselves into. How they can continually take, take, take, and not feel guilt or accountability. I don’t know what the answer is or how to make them wake up and realize the drain they are putting on their friends, family, and society. All I do know is addicts will multiply, money will keep flying out the window, and the addicts will keep being given Narcan all to wake up and OD again the next day.

2. Sweety B on July 27, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Wow, just wow. The fact that the Bryans Road VFD (or any 1st responders) felt the need to issue this statement just says a lot about the friends and families of drug addicts. Reading between the lines of this statement speaks volumes!

3. Faith on July 28, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Kudos to the Bryan’s Road VFD for putting this out there. Many addicts, and friends and family of addicts do not know about Maryland’s Good Samaritan Law. This needs to be out there. I mean like on a billboard! I know, that doesn’t sell houses. But we need to stop ignoring the fact that opiate addiction is an epidemic right now. The VFDs know it, the Sherriff’s Offices know it, the hospitals know it, and Biig Pharma’s bank account knows it. Wake up people, do some research, and show compassion. Thank you for the great work you do! Every life matters!

• Anonymous on July 29, 2016 at 8:45 am

I do have compassion. I have compassion for the person that works 2 jobs then gets robbed by an addict. I have compassion for the family that was headed off for a surprise vacation only to have a drug addict who was high plow into their van. I have compassion for the continence store worker that finds themselves at the wrong end of a hand gun so an addict can get a few extra dollars for their drug. I have compassion for the cops that have to deal with high and aggressive people on a daily basis. I have compassion for all the tax payers that have to cover an addicts food, housing, medical, and now rehab. I have plenty of compassion for people who deserve it, I don’t have compassion for someone who willfully sticks that first needle in their arm knowing what we know about all the drugs. Calling addiction a disease was the worst thing they could have ever done. Now an addict has an excuse for their own destructive behavior.

• Anonymous on July 31, 2016 at 1:05 am

I am glad someone else sees things the way I do…I do not believe addiction is a disease. ADDICTION IS A CHOICE!!! Addicts CHOOSE to make the choices they make. Cancer is a disease. People didn’t CHOOSE to have it. I think its great that the fire and ems put that information. Out there..however if the person. Is lying.. Clearly they must not want the help. All this Narcan I read about being administered… Is ridiculously high..it can’t be cheap to continue just giving the drug out left and right. Until an addict wants to get help…they will co tinue doing what they are doing and overdose lord knows how many times before they finally get help. I give much respect to those who have to go on these calls with people who are out of it acting a fool of themselves. I know I wouldn’t be able to do it!

4. Anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Thank you for acknowledging the paid EMS. Since other volunteers and county government officials want to disregard the need for them is disappointing.

5. Upinya on August 1, 2016 at 7:56 am

Not disappointing,we just don’t need them. You want paid EMS, then stay in the county your in. I think our EMS and FIREFIGHTERS in this county are doing a tremendous job!

• Anonymous on August 4, 2016 at 12:19 am

I do live in Charles County and yes we do need them. If the paid EMS didn’t exist then people would die more often since volunteers are not available to get their ambulances out. We are in a different place then years past. People who retired and looked forward to volunteering are back to work because they can’t afford to live on retirement. I never said the EMS and FIREFIGHTERS are not doing a great job. I simply appreciated the acknowledgement of the paid EMS since they are the ONLY ones who can provide ADVANCE Life support. I know you might say station 60 can provide ALS service. However, not on the consistent basis that this county requires. Volunteers are appreciated, however their are just not enough of them.

6. what are the police doing here? on August 1, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Although this PSA is well-intended, there are disclosures that should be on the Sheriffs/ EMS website that aren’t. When FIRE/ EMS personnel enter a home and see evidence of a crime being committed, what is their obligation or their option? Are they to contact the police and notify them, mind their own business and deal with the situation at hand, or what? Is an emergency situation a chance for the police to enter the residence they’d otherwise have to have a search warrant for? Good question, how do friends/ relatives/ the patients, tell FIRE/ EMS about having participated in criminal activity in such a way to get the medical care they need, without confessing anything to the police or having anything confessed to the police, or is this possible? Woah! Its a shame that FIRE/ EMS/ Police are one kit-in-a-caboodle. Fire & EMS should not be on par with the police.

It should be known when Fire and EMS situations are going to be reported to the police, when it is mandatory.

What are the police doing here? You called the police. No I didn’t, I called the Fire Department and ambulance. When you call the Fire Department, you call the police, when you call the ambulance, you call the police. I do?