Black Bear Struck and Killed on Route 235 in St. Mary’s County

July 27, 2016

BearOn Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at approximately 3:30 a.m., a one-year-old male black bear was struck by a car on Three Notch Road, in Oakville.

A spokeswoman from the Department of Natural Resources said the bear was around 95 pounds and around a year old. SMNEWSNET was also told, the bear probably swam across the Potomac River from Virginia.

A bear was spotted a few weeks ago in St. Mary’s County in a different location.

38 Responses to Black Bear Struck and Killed on Route 235 in St. Mary’s County

1. AliceW on July 27, 2016 at 9:21 pm

No surprise, even if he had a reflective vest on he would have been hit on 235, the demolition derby road!

2. The Bald eagle on July 28, 2016 at 7:03 am

No way, this bear was captured or trapped in the mountains in WVA, Or VA. I have lived in the tri-county area my whole life and do not recall ever,ever a single bear sighting except for up north Fredrick areas. The coyote that was recovered in Calvert last year was trapped and brought here illeagly. I’m positive at some point in our recent history that black bears were indigenous to the area but have since been completely wiped out along with sturgeon, if you think this little brown dude is a local your silly. Ain’t no damn bears in So MD.

• MarineVet on July 28, 2016 at 9:12 am

Truth is black bear populations are exploding all over the country. Whether this little guy was lost or brought here is debatable but someone would not have to leave the state to find one…

In fact just this week they have opened up two more counties in Maryland for bear hunting.

• Anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 9:19 am

So several coyotes have already been shot in Calvert and St.Marys. Wild/feral hogs spotted by citizens and caught on a dash cam of a cop car. Absolutely 100% possible to inhabit the area. Wait a couple and they’ll be on trail cameras go pros and home surveillance.

• Babyboy16 on July 28, 2016 at 9:20 am

I know for fact that there are coyotes in st’marys because I saw one and jells the a week ago I heard coyotes puppies here on pax river

• Annon on July 28, 2016 at 11:19 am

I’ve lived here all my life too. Years ago there was a sighting of a bear on Route 234 just before the road to Wicomico Shores and another sighting in field across from Mechanicsville Road off of Route 235. I’m sure DNR doesn’t announce these sightings for the sake of scaring people.

• Anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 11:47 am

You are wrong, according to DNR…
      1. the bear wasn’t brought here
      2. there HAVE been bear sightings in the past
      3. multiple coyote have been killed in St. Mary’s county over the last couple years
      4. the bear mentioned in this article was black, not brown

• anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Well youre wrong because just a few years ago öne was spotted in multiple areas in mechanicsville and dnr confirmed the tracks. Ive personally seen 2 coyotes while hunting 3 years apart on my property in mechanicsville.

• Farmboy on July 29, 2016 at 10:18 am

Well I have lived in St. Mary’s county Maryland all of my life. 57 years and I know of 3 black bears in the county. And many sightings. They wander down from western MD or swim across the Potomac and end up here. But sightings are more frequent because populations are growing and habitat is going away. Never use to be any coyotes here but you can find them everywhere now.

• Anonymous on August 6, 2016 at 8:59 pm

There was at least one……

3. patrick on July 28, 2016 at 7:45 am

I have said it before and I will say it again, 235 is St Mary’s version of the beltway. it will kill indiscriminately.

4. teddy on July 28, 2016 at 7:53 am

Not anymore..somebody hit and killed it! If bears exist, they can be in St Mary’s. there is no great wall of china keeping them out. This may not be their preferred terrain or populated area, but if it lives..it can live here. Unless of course it makes its way to a county or state road.

5. Anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 7:56 am

And in the not too distant past there weren’t many deer. Guess the ones here now we’re trapped and brought in too.

• Farmboy on July 29, 2016 at 10:21 am

Yes, I am 57 and when I was young, spotting a deer was something.

6. Nbp on July 28, 2016 at 8:00 am

There weren’t many deer here either not too long ago. Guess the ones here now were trapped and brought in too. You’re not paying attention to what’s going on.

7. Alfred on July 28, 2016 at 8:38 am

Was a photo necessary?

• Anonymous on July 29, 2016 at 11:27 am

8. Steve on July 28, 2016 at 9:08 am

How about the Black Helicopters and men in black trench coats. Think about it someone trapped a bear and a coyote and brought it to SOMD, lay off the weed.

• Nancy on July 29, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Love your comment.

9. Raul on July 28, 2016 at 11:17 am

Do a little research. The bear population is growing and expanding. This was probably a juvenile bear. They travel a distance every summer in search for food. PG county and Stafford county have had sightings as well recently.

• Miss328 on July 28, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I was thinking this may be the same juvenile “navigationally challenged” bear they were tracking through Montgomery then PG; very similar description on size and age. It was seen in June in PG and the article said they can go about 10 miles a day.

My family is from Western Maryland and we were there last week and my uncle was telling us about the ever growing bear population in Garrett County and he said the bears are migrating further south so bear season is being opened in more counties, to more people and for more days every year. He was telling when they were in Florida last winter the DNR captured a bear in Daytona Beach and set it free in Ocala (50 miles away) and in a week it was back in Daytona.

10. YourMomZaenus on July 28, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Bears…beets…Battlestar Galactica.

11. Anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 12:45 pm

What’s with the photo? I find it pretty strange how “humans” see the death of another life form that’s trying to survive as some sort of trophy.

• Anonymous on July 28, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Go and hug another tree.

• Julie on July 29, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Says anonymous- afraid to publish your name?

• Tell You What on July 31, 2016 at 9:35 am

You afraid to publish your real name? Let’s see YOUR Facebook.

• anonymous on July 29, 2016 at 12:05 am

It’s called NEWS you crybaby.

• Julie on July 29, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Says anonymous

• JJ Hardy on August 1, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Cries Julia Gulia

• Night Owl on July 29, 2016 at 12:17 am

I disagree that that’s the intention behind the photo… but regardless, humans are not alone in that practice. Other predators, too, although it may be more justifiable for them.

• cheywolf on July 29, 2016 at 8:59 am

My opinion for the photo is probably because no one would believe that there was a real bear in St Mary’s county. At least they tried to blur out his guts.
      Amazing I have lived in southern MD all my life, heard about coyotes but never a bear. I guess we really don’t know what’s out there. Maybe some wolves too…

• Anonymous on July 29, 2016 at 11:35 am

That’s exactly why there is a photo.

It’s an open shoulder, not guts

You gotta get out to see what’s around you. You don’t get stories to tell, sitting in the house!

• Farmboy on July 29, 2016 at 10:24 am

Well seems like some people reading don’t believe the story is true. So I would think a picture is in order.

12. Upinya on July 29, 2016 at 7:31 am

Did anyone else see the Elk running around on Solomon’s Island?

• Anonymous on July 30, 2016 at 10:02 am

You are off your meds, aren’t you…

13. Jeff B. on July 29, 2016 at 11:48 am

Bears can stay away looking for a mate is probably what happen. They have seen up in D.C. ares. Just because no mountains in this county doesn’t mean a thing. Plenty of forests around here. It is too bad he was hit and killed. It was accident I understand that. So it is unusual but it can happen.,I seriously doubt if anyone trapped it and placed it here

• Anonymous on August 1, 2016 at 11:56 am

Your grammar teacher(s) would be ashamed…

14. Anonymous on July 29, 2016 at 5:12 pm