St. Mary’s County Native Killed Fighting Against ISIS

August 20, 2016

William Savage, born in St. Mary's County, fought bravely alongside the Kurds

william savage dies fighting isisWilliam Savage, an American volunteer for the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) since January of 2015, died last week in battle at the age of 27. Savage, who was born in St. Mary’s County and graduated from Great Mills High School, fought with the Kurds against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

He was killed in Manbij, Syria after a bloody confrontation between the Kurdish troops and ISIS combatants. According to VOA News, the fight for the hub of Manbij lasted 73 days and resulted in the deaths of 264 Kurdish fighters (including volunteers) and more than 4,000 ISIS fighters.

Savage’s heroic sacrifice did not go in vain as the city of Manbij—regarded as a major territorial boon in the fight against ISIS—was captured by the U.S.-backed Kurdish forces on August 12, just two days after Savage’s death.

Savage became the second American citizen to die fighting alongside the Kurds in the war against ISIS.

william savage st. mary's cityA statement released by YPG indicated Savage was tasked with helping civilians retreat to safety as battle ensued. YPG indicated that Savage “was targeted by the gunfire of the (ISIS) thugs” and died from “severe wounds.”

“He was fearless,” stated Savage’s father, in an interview conducted by VOA News. “He wanted to help the Kurds.”

Macer Gifford, a British volunteer for the YPG and an anti-ISIS activist who fought alongside Savage, offered effusive praise for his fallen comrade with the following Facebook post:

I want to honour the life of an amazing man. Heval Amed (William Savage) was an awesome guy and a brilliant fighter.

He was in the all foreigner tabur – 223 – and based near the Tactical Medical Unit. I saw him regularly over the past 7 months but I didn’t fight alongside him until we got to Manbij.

I was sent with 223 to reinforce a tabur that had taken casualties. It was a nightmare to get to the position – through rat holes, destroyed buildings and with ISIS snipers ever ready to take a shot.

At one point we got to road that was in clear view of an ISIS position. Will and I were the last to cross, we had to wait while one at a time the team ran across the road. Every sound made my heart leap, I secretly cursed my hevals who accidently kicked masonry or twisted metal in the darkness.

A voice in my head kept telling me that I was going to get shot at! Sure enough, I was half way across the road when the air around me exploded with projectiles. The heart wrenching sound of SNAP and CRACK as bullets pass just inches around me. I ran another 20 paces before I leapt face first I into a pile bricks. I scrambled into the shell of a destroyed building with the rest of the team.

I was genuinely terrified, not for myself but for Will who was now trapped on the otherside of the road by himself. ISIS had failed to hit me, perhaps in panic as they had woken up in time to see me half way across the road. Now though, they were awake, ready and waiting on Will to cross.

The team radioed abother (sic) YPG position and a PKM started hammering the ISIS building. The 223 commander crawled forwards and started shooting with his m16 while calling on Will to cross. ISIS were fully suppressed and Will made it across without incident.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief, I walked over to see if he was ok. I was surprised to see a big smile on his face, ‘Macer those bullets went up your ass!’ he said with a laugh!

I couldn’t believe it! I was scared for him, but he didn’t seem to have a care in the world! I remembered a story where a bullet had scraped past Amed’s head causing little more than a scratch that bleed alot (sic). He didn’t bother getting medical treatment and he was out fighting the same day.

As I ran to catch up with the team, I couldn’t help but shake my head and think Amed was one really really brave guy!

There is nobody that has a bad word to say about Will. He was universally loved and everyone has a wonderful story to say about him. I heard last week that he had died in combat. I didn’t want to believe it, he was the last and 6th International Volunteer to die in Manbij. He was a legend that gave everything for the liberty of Rojava.

Sleep in peace Will, your spirit will live forever in the hearts of millions.

william savage st. mary's city

23 Responses to St. Mary’s County Native Killed Fighting Against ISIS

1. A father who knows the pain of your loss. on August 19, 2016 at 9:04 am

Deep down in my heart I know that courageous selfless people like Will are dwelling very close to God. Will is with others like himself preparing for the task of eradicating evil from this world. God Bless you Will, God Bless your Mother and Father for allowing themselfs to be the tools of God’s plan.

2. john on August 19, 2016 at 9:07 am

RIP. Brave fellow.

3. Anonymous on August 19, 2016 at 9:51 am

Rip Will. I’m sure your family and friends and the american people are very proud of your heroic job.

4. Becky Linett on August 19, 2016 at 11:11 am

Thank you for your sacrifice, Rest In Peace…
    To your family: I’m so very sorry for your loss. It’s no consolation but, know that Will is safe in the arms of His Savior. God Bless you all.

5. Anonymous on August 19, 2016 at 2:45 pm

And why are they over in Syria again? I refuse to buy into the “terrorist” conspiracy theory.

• How about on August 19, 2016 at 5:15 pm

you do a little bit of research before posting. Gosh, you’re an imbecile. Pick up a book. I bet you haven’t read one front-to-back in over a decade. Am I right?

• Can't See The Trees Through The Forest on August 20, 2016 at 10:26 am

Come on, give Anonymous a break. I feel pretty confident he/she has read “Horton Hears A Who” by Dr. Suess from cover to cover more than once.

• Anonymous on August 20, 2016 at 8:21 pm

LOL! I read books and study every day stupid. Maybe if you read a few, you wouldn’t believe in mass media conspiracy theories. Pop on your tin hat and shut the hell up.

• anonymous on August 21, 2016 at 3:05 am

So isis isn’t real? You really are an imbecile.

• Can't See The Trees Through The Forest on August 21, 2016 at 8:24 am

Correct, ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN (aka Communist News Network) definitely have a progressive agenda, it’s hard to fathom that some people are stupid enough to believe what they’re saying. Then again, I suppose some people are lazy/stupid enough to let the Mainstream Media do their thinking for them.

• DontHate on August 21, 2016 at 8:32 am

Watching a Trump speech does not count as “study”

• Same old dribble on August 21, 2016 at 10:01 am

“They?” Here’s a hint, idiot. Read the first sentence again.

• Alan Brooks on September 2, 2016 at 11:11 am

Why are you talking about this on essentially an obituary. You might not agree with what he did or why he did it but, the least you can do is show respect for the dead. Especially considering he was a great and just human being.

6. salute on August 19, 2016 at 4:11 pm

god bless him

7. RIP Will on August 19, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Thank you for your sacrifice to humanity. I am sorry you had to pass fighting Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton’s proxy army: ISIS.

RIP

• Anonymous on August 20, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Yep. Blame one side of the left/right paradigm as if Bush and his administration didn’t orchestrate the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. Like Bush Senior’s administration didn’t continue the Cold War and far beyond. The US has been in and out of wars for decades. Keep drinking the Fox News Kool Aid and conveying your ignorant opinions just like the rest of the dolts who post here.

• Anonymous on August 21, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Bish proposed going to Iraq to Congress. If they had voted no we wouldn’t have gone. They voted yes, and Hillary was one of the yes votes.

8. Kc358sbc@gmail.com on August 21, 2016 at 8:21 am

He wanted to fight with the rebels and he died..thats what happens.did he have to go.no..it was a personal choice.prolly was alot in combat pay from the security firm.

9. Anonymous on August 21, 2016 at 8:24 am

The security firm prolly was paying pretty good..he didnt have to go..some people jus wanna be apart of the fight.

• anonymous on August 21, 2016 at 1:15 pm

He was a volunteer, retard. He wanted to help the innocent people. I graduated with him, he was a good dude.

10. Dan on August 21, 2016 at 10:15 am

God Bless

11. Robert Derry on August 21, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Anonymous,the reason we all go is personal.Depending and where you obtain your intel ,allows you to make the decision to stay safe on the sofa or down in the basement of mommys home .William,like the rest of us that have gone on our own dime,our own schedule and our own desire to help the Kurds,the Christians and everyone part of humanity against these evil animals that are as deadly and brutal as Hitler.There is no conspiracy ,there are youngmen willing to sacrifice their lives to safe the innocent.The Kurdish people have been on the front lines since Shingal, and before ,against ISIS with no help from our useless leadership ,OBAMA,who has consistently promised and then reneged on his promise to supply weapons,training and supplies so we could fight.The worse part of this is trying to bring our lost warriors home with the bureaucrats constantly blocking transportation .Our boys are sitting there for months prior to moving them home for burial and family goodbyes.Call your congressmen ,senator and that useless occupant of the White House and demand they bring our men home.NO country that speaks about,”thats not who we are”should allow our citizens to lay in body bags for months on end.DEMAND our people be brought home.

12. Anonymous on August 22, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Politics and mainstream media rubbish. No wonder America ranks like #20 in the most intelligent countries of the world. Never a shortage of stupid people and the comment sections of this site proves it on a daily basis.