Charles County Public Schools Addresses “Clown Sightings” in St. Charles

October 3, 2016

14462789_10207007761664890_4113102874179590346_nThe following letter was sent to parents of students attending Mary Matula Elementary School, Milton M Somers Middle School and St. Charles High School.

Dear Parents/Guardians:

During the past several weeks, local and national news stories have reported “clown sightings” in communities.

Around 5 a.m. this morning, a former Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) student took a photo of someone fully dressed in what appeared to be a clown outfit, in the commons area of the Gleneagles neighborhood in St. Charles.

While still relatively dark outside, the clown was able to be clearly seen, as he/she stood beneath a neighborhood lamppost. The clown was not there during the time students would walk to the bus stop or to school and has not been reported as having been seen anywhere else since this morning.

It is important to note that CCPS has not received any threats via social media and there have been no clown sightings at our schools.

However, given the publicity the news is giving to clown sightings we felt we should alert parents. The Maryland Center for School Safety has issued an alert as there are posts nationwide where “creepy clowns” have sent threats on social media to other Maryland school districts and high schools.

Police learned of this morning’s clown sighting from students who had heard about it, as well as through a Twitter post by the former student who took the early morning photo of the clown.

School Resource Officers are investigating this morning’s incident as a suspicious activity and encourage anyone with more information to call the police at  301-932-2222.

Please talk to your children about how to recognize suspicious behaviors and the importance of reporting such activity immediately to school authorities or the police. Please also remind children they should not start rumors about clown sightings as a joke or to scare someone, nor participate in any such related pranks.

Thank you for your attention to this message.

Sincerely,
Kimberly A. Hill, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools

14462789_10207007761664890_4113102874179590346_n

67 Responses to Charles County Public Schools Addresses “Clown Sightings” in St. Charles

1. Tim Curry on October 3, 2016 at 3:25 pm

We all float down here Georgie-Boy!

• Tavia Brown on October 3, 2016 at 6:06 pm

haven’t heard that in years!!

• Lookey on October 4, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Pennywise was the best clown ever!

2. Spanky on October 3, 2016 at 3:29 pm

See Clown… Punch Clown. Simple

• oldandgray on October 3, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Absolutely! This is what happens when F’tards like these creepy clowns’ abuse social media and the trolling drama queens feed on it and get their panties in a wad. Is it all surprising that some people will do anything to gain 15 minutes of fame these days from the screaming guy who whined like a little school girl “hey don’t tase me bro” to any of the Kardashians doing absolutely nothing that is even news worthy.

• Alysse on October 3, 2016 at 10:18 pm

These clowns have actually running up to people and even chasing them with weapons such as bats and chainsaws and waiting for them to walk out of their door on their porch.

• Ken M. on October 4, 2016 at 7:24 am

Riiiiiight……..

• D on October 4, 2016 at 7:15 am

Paintball or shoot a bbgun at that guy for sure! Nothing harmful, just enough to make him think twice about being a creep.

• Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 9:22 am

lol

• Joanna Reid on October 4, 2016 at 3:20 pm

They can have knifes and guns

3. Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 3:57 pm

It’s a clown, how is this even a “Press Release” situation for the School Board? SMH

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Really?

• Really... on October 3, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I think we found one!!! ☝

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Guess you haven’t been watching the news.

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 4:49 pm

idiot

• Me on October 3, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Because they have to keep kids safe!

• Lookey on October 3, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I’d be way more concerned about my child’s safety if priest sightings become a thing.

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Hilarious

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Ur an idiot

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Really funny troll. Obviously you don’t have children. One of two things will happen if a kid sees a clown. They either run towards it, or away from it. Some freaks are dressing up like clowns and attacking whoever comes near them. Some idiots think it’s just funny to scare someone by laughing at their fears. Either way, it’s not cool. If you had kids of your own you wouldn’t want to be worried about them running into freaks and idiots or someone spewing hate over hyped up stereotypes.

• Sean on October 4, 2016 at 7:19 am

If your life is tormented by the fear of clowns, you should seek therapy. Kids run into freaks and idiots every day NOT dressed as clowns. They could run into a looney toon like you, scared of make-up! Kids have a pretty good sense of danger of and safety. over protective parents have caused kids to “require a safe space” as not to be offended..

• Samantha on October 5, 2016 at 10:49 am

when you have children you will think so differently. Yes my child knows the difference between good and bad but dressing up like a clown is just plain tourment intended to scare people. Who knows how far one of these clowns will go. And you’re right about walking past weirdos everyday but wearing a costume is psychotic and these people clearly are the ones who need therapy not our children. We teach our kids to be brave but also stay safe. This is definitely something that should be notified to all parents and I don’t think the media is blowing it up at all. Like I said you never know how far someone is going to go these days and we should all be aware.

• Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Their luring kids into the woods!!

• Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Really? Just how many have they lured?

• Ann on October 5, 2016 at 11:51 am

They’re

4. Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Considering how there have been multiple threats by these clowns, it would seem very necessary to get people alert to these sightings. But seeing as how your comment makes you look unconcerned, if you see a creepy clown guy. Dont call the cops then.

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 9:45 pm

lets ban clowns, ………

• Ken M. on October 4, 2016 at 7:25 am

Ban green tip clowns!!

5. Really... on October 3, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I think we found one!!

6. Maliss on October 3, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I live in this neighborhood. Rumor around the neighborhood says the clown was armed with a knife. Not known if it was real or fake but he was indeed armed.

• Grim on October 4, 2016 at 5:03 am

Well if it’s unconfirmed, then we should keep that rumor going shouldn’t we nitwit?!

• TonyPP on October 4, 2016 at 11:13 am

That was funny: “rumor that something was true, not sure if it was true or not but it was indeed true”

• SillyNinja on October 4, 2016 at 11:11 am

Maliss, where were you at 5am this morning?

7. Beagoodperson on October 3, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Yeah see if he will make you a nice balloon animal

8. Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Glad I moved from SoMD. Here in VA if you see a clown and its determined to be a threat or armed…just shoot. Ask questions later and save lives in the interim!

• Ken M. on October 4, 2016 at 7:25 am

No one cares…

9. Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Confirmed – >>> The Clowns are anyone that votes for Evil Hillary.

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Ignorance is bliss. What the hell does voting for Hillary have to do with the clown citing? And they think that the lower of CC is filled with so many smart people smdh!!

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I guess that goes for trump to

• Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Trump to what? Oh, wait, you were trying to say “too” as in “also”, its two o’s… Hillary supporters…

• Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Not true it could be anyone

10. Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 8:05 pm

These are threats going around the country and are very serious threats. What is wrong with those of you who are making jokes about this? We live in a society where so many acts of terrorism and hatred for each other is rampant. If you love anyone, anyone at all, then this should be a cause for alarm. Also, these “Clowns (psycho’s, terrorist, mentally ill) subhumans are gonna get themselves killed if they are dressing as clowns to instill fear in our Southern Marylanders. I wish all of the hatred toward all people would just stop. I am going to pray for our nation, our children and families safety and hope many of you sane people will join me. God Bless this USA.

• Grim on October 4, 2016 at 5:08 am

Sing it sista!! We need that healing truth and only then can we be healed!! PRAY FOR ALL OF US SINNERS!! Pray that he comes down and solves all of our problems!

When you’re done praying, let us know if all that praying actually did anything.

• YouStayAwayClownMmmKay on October 5, 2016 at 6:04 am

Remember, prayer doesn’t work unless you donate a lot of money to the church. A lot of money! Like preacher drives a white Cadillac w/gold rims sporting gold jewelry and a big smile “lot of money”.
      Then they work! You just don’t see them work, it’s more of an imaginary thing you believe and ignore the actual through a magical thing called faith.
      Remember, dress well, dance and sing!

• Anonymous on October 5, 2016 at 11:07 am

I think you are definitely overthinking this. I’m not the person who posted the original post, but I believe and I’ve been VERY blessed. I give to my church, $5 a week. Sometimes we even forget cash so we miss a week. Even though I don’t give a lot, I am still blessed and God has shown His love for my husband and I. Believe what you wish to believe, I’ll pray that it turns to God. Maybe one day you will get a little curious.

11. Anonymous on October 3, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Let me catch it…Indiana Jonestate anyone

12. RavenzAshes on October 3, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Luckily…i no longer live in The Dorf anymore…Well..Lucky for that clown anyway. I wouldn’t have wasted anytime introducing that fool to a metal baseball bat. It’s absurd what these idiots are doing these days. If you want to dress up as a clown join the circus or wait until Halloween. Noone finds these antics funny or cute. It’s true, VA doesn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. That’s where I am now. God forbid if some BoZo tries to hang out around my property.

13. Sharon on October 3, 2016 at 10:09 pm

I would be more worried about the teen who was out early in the morning roaming around to take this picture.this kind of stuff is getting out of control. We as the public don’t know if it is real or if it is being done to incite fear, for a joke, or kids playing around. Sometimes people take things and RUN with it when they find out they will get attention from it. I know it’s sick But in this day and age of everything ending up in the media spotlight…some people are all about getting in that spotlight no matter how they get there.

• Rachel on October 4, 2016 at 12:50 am

It said a FORMER student took this picture.
      (I was wondering the same thing) the students only heard of it but never saw it.

But it could’ve been something as simple as a morning routine, insure the former student was on his was to work, just coming home after a long night, or even walking this dog.

The problem is STILL the clown.

Seems to me whoever it was, was looking for a fight.
      Outside early enough to be seen, but probably gone shortly after he was noticed.

• YouStayAwayClownMmmKay on October 5, 2016 at 6:08 am

Anyone in a costume is “looking for a fight”?
        I tend to think that “little people” are looking for fights, the way they look with that evil Oompa Loompa gaze.

• Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am

We don’t know this was a teenager who took the picture. The article says a former CCPS student. That former student could have finished school at any time in the past. It could have been somebody coming home from a graveyard shift or even leaving for an early shift

14. Beagoodperson on October 3, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Very very true… Sad… But true

15. thanks4thelaughs on October 3, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Nothing better than reading the comments of the very well educated citizens of Charles County. Pure comedy.

16. MamaBear on October 4, 2016 at 12:56 am

Note how the clown clearly saw whomever took this picture. He’s looking right at the camera. Probably took off running immediately following.
    Why not follow to see which apt it went into?
    Assuming he lived there. I would’ve watched as long as I could. If it runs I to the woods, SOMEONE is going to come back out without the costume.
    Glad they haven’t started it in St Mary’s. Charles county, I can only imagine. All the crime is there, and so much worse then st Marys ever was!

17. Ronald on October 4, 2016 at 6:53 am

clowns lives matter

18. Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 7:18 am

No threats on social media…lies, all lies. Some asshole my the name of k.clowns post a threat to Westlake and St. Charles walkers. People won’t be satisfied until someone decides to go clown hunting in Waldorf!

19. Nick on October 4, 2016 at 9:01 am

I’m not scared of clowns……i was married to one….my ex husband

20. Anon on October 4, 2016 at 9:48 am

Clown lives matter!

• Homie Da Clown on October 5, 2016 at 12:21 pm

DATS right!

21. Marilyn on October 4, 2016 at 11:10 am

Let’s move on to more threatening things then stupid clowns. How about the social media posts about someone specifically targeting our schools!!! Let’s address our children’s safety against those threats.

22. Keepin It Real on October 4, 2016 at 11:23 am

Maybe it’s his first day at clown college and he is waiting for the VW bug with 26 of his classmates to pick him up.

23. Kerry Winsfield on October 4, 2016 at 11:50 am

I don’t understand why someone hasn’t shot the clown yet. It’s just standing there, go get it.

24. Jane O'Brien on October 4, 2016 at 11:52 am

What next? Some people have little to do. How sad.

25. Amelia on October 4, 2016 at 2:15 pm

For those of you that are saying that you don’t live in Waldorf anymore, watch the news. This is ‘happening’ all over the country. Not just in Waldorf. I am not sure what to make of the whole thing, however, its not just another Waldorf thing. I am sure that VA will soon have a clown sighting. Whether this is real or make believe, I will make sure I tell my kids not to go near a clown – or any stranger for that matter. I just hope that if there is any truth, or any danger, that innocent people don’t get hurt. I believe that this could be a hoax, but there are always people out there that take things too far. I just hope that some kid doesn’t get the idea to dress up like a clown and get himself killed.

26. Anonymous on October 4, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I hate to see something happen to someone in your family,4 you 2 understand why there saying be aware, an kids have instinct, kids instinct is 2 play just like u offer a kid something they want an they go with you smdh.

27. Anonymous on October 6, 2016 at 9:33 am

They sale ammo with rubber bullets and pepper spray! I have stocked up for the clowns and the vandals that stole my damn tires of my truck, while it was in my driveway. Way too many dumb asses watching these stupid ass Purge movies trying to put fear in little children. Its not going to be funny to Homie The Clown when his ass laying down from being tazed, pepper sprayed, or shot with rubber or regular bullets.

28. OmgitsGaming Foxy on October 8, 2016 at 9:55 am

I’m not afraid of clowns at all as me at midd school I don’t care like wtf what’s the point I’m bored of them any way ;-;