Nine Charles County Public Schools teams placed in the elementary Mathematics, Engineering and Science Achievement (MESA) competition held March 26 at North Point High School. Student teams competed in competitions that test their abilities in mathematics, engineering and science.
J.C. Parks Elementary School was chosen as the overall elementary school winner. Awards were given for first-, second-, and third-place teams and one overall elementary school winner was chosen. The school that earns the most points throughout the competition is chosen as the overall winner and advances to the state competition. Parks will participate in the state event on May 9 at John Hopkins University.
Teams from the county’s 21 elementary schools participated in the following competitions: Balsa Wood Bridge, Effective Communication, SCRATCH – Computer Programming and Storybook Theme Park Ride.
The following teams placed at the competition.
Balsa Wood Bridge:
• T.C. Martin Elementary School, first place;
• Parks, second place; and
• Berry Elementary School, third place.
• Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School, first place;
• Dr. Thomas L. Higdon Elementary School, second place; and
• Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School, third place.
SCRATCH – Computer Programming:
• Parks, first place;
• William B. Wade Elementary School, second place; and
• Indian Head Elementary School, third place.
Storybook Theme Park Ride:
• J.P. Ryon Elementary School, first place;
• Higdon, second place; and
• Parks, third place.
This is the sixth year Charles County Public Schools has competed as a separate Maryland MESA region, due to growth of participation in the program. Maryland MESA is designed to prepare students for academic and professional careers in mathematics, engineering, science, and technology.
The program’s goals are to increase the number of engineers, scientists, mathematicians, and related professionals at technical and management levels; and to serve as a driving force in encouraging and assisting minorities and females in achieving success in these fields.