System Analyst IO4, $68,203 – $78,936 (B.O.E) + FRINGE BENEFITS
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Services and Technology OPENING DATE: 11-27-13 CLOSING DATE: 12-11-13
Education: Associates degree or certification in a network operating system;
Experience: Three years or more experience in information systems technology with at least one year in the area of system administration.
Note: Any equivalent combination of acceptable technical training, education and/or experience which has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below may be considered.
• Valid Maryland driver’s license;
• Extensive background investigation with favorable results required;
• Negative drug test result from pre-employment drug screen;
• Successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States prior to employment.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs systems analysis, planning, design, installation, and maintenance of all Windows\AS-400 servers and related application software; performs other duties as assigned.
• Performs systems analysis, planning, design, installation and maintenance of all Windows\AS-400 and related application software;
• Assists the Director of Emergency Services and Technology by providing recommendations for enhancements and improvements for the Windows\ AS-400 systems and applications to meet the needs of the County’s user community;
• Acts as liaison for St. Mary’s County Government for all programmatic problems related to software installed and/or interfacing to County systems;
• Responsible for the successful operation of multiple networked and telecommunications systems accessing County servers;
• Ensure sound security setup, user profiles, backup and recovery policies are documented and enforced for all systems;
• Provides project milestones and status reports to the Director of Emergency Services and Technology for server operations;
• Coordinates with Help Desk and Network Manager as required, ensuring operations and implementations are supportable by existing infrastructure and help desk personnel;
• Provides training to Help Desk support personnel in system functions as necessary;
• Researches specific technical hardware and software related questions from management,
programming, operations maintenance, and systems programming personnel and reviews request
from users for server and application improvements to determine feasibility, cost, and benefits of
• Responsible for the installation and maintenance of all operating systems, software applications
and program temporary fixes;
• Provides budget requirements for all hardware and software related to servers and applications;
• Monitors the daily operations of servers, applications and related programs;
• Supervises assigned staff;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to gain advanced knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures;
• Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Government to the public;
• Advanced knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of administrative management,
and the ability to interpret them to the staff and the public;
• Extensive knowledge of system operations and management;
• Ability to supervise, plan, train and coordinate the work of diverse staff in order to accomplish
departmental goals and objectives;
• Ability to review, evaluate, and initiate appropriate action on technical and legal reports,
contracts, and documents concerning departmental matters;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county officials, associates,
subordinates, representatives from other agencies, and the general public;
• Knowledge of electronic resources, including the Internet and database information retrieval;
• Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, and office
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Work requires no unusual demand for physical effort.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls.
Hiring Salary: $68,203 – $78,936 (B.O.E) annually.
FLSA: Exempt St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability. We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement. All employees are required to participate in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS).
SELECTION PROCEDURE: Applications will be screened for those who meet job requirements and have related experience. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview. All candidates will be notified of their selection or non-selection for interview.
TO APPLY: A 2008 ST. MARY’S COUNTY GOVERNMENT APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications are available at:
Governmental Center, Potomac Building
Department of Human Resources, 3rd Floor
23115 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-4200 Extension: 1100 Fax: 301-475-4082
Applications must be received in the Human Resources Department on or before the closing date regardless of the postmark date.