March 2, 2017

Congressman Steny H. Hoyer (MD-05) joined Senators Ben Cardin (D-MD) and Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) and Reps. Jamie Raskin (MD-08) and John Sarbanes (MD-03) at a media availability this afternoon following a Maryland delegation meeting to discuss how Republican efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act will severely impact Marylanders. Below is a transcript of his remarks:

“I just want to make a couple of points. One is that, Governor [Larry] Hogan, represented by Secretary [Dennis] Schrader, and all three of the witnesses, one from an insurance company, one from the University of Maryland Hospital System, and a private practitioner all agree that the repeal of the Affordable Care Act would have two immediate consequences. One, would be that the costs for everybody…everybody would see a cost increase. Secondly, Mr. Burrell pointed out that there would be a significant economic consequence as well in terms of lost jobs. So not only would the repeal of the Affordable Care Act have an immediate effect on the availability and affordability of quality health care, but it also would have an immediate and significant economic impact on our state.

“That is why I, and I think all of the Democrats in the Maryland delegation, are fighting very hard to maintain the Affordable Care Act in force. We have been available, and I have said this, Leader Pelosi has said this on the House side and I know Senator Van Hollen [and] Senator Cardin both on the Senate side, we are certainly prepared to work together with our Republican colleagues to make the Affordable Care Act work better. But repealing it is not an option if we want to maintain the health of our communities, the economics of our community, and the security of our people.”

28 Responses to Hoyer: Repealing the Affordable Care Act Would Have Immediate Consequences for all Marylanders

1. Sean on March 2, 2017 at 7:06 am

Defeating Hoyer in the next election would have a POSITIVE effect on All Southern Marylanders…

• Mort on March 5, 2017 at 9:43 am

Over 6 Years since the ACA first passed and the republicans have been criticizing and calling for repeal. I can’t believe that they don’t have anything better with as much time as they’ve had to prepare. It’s completely irresponsible to manage a party with this lack of organization. Instead they rely on lies (aka alternate facts). JUST COME UP WITH A PLAN !!! This lack of management and ability to lead is what forces the republicans to play the politics as usual game. I just can’t support a party that is this blatantly out of their element. They have aids,lawyers,and an army of workers that have done nothing to prepare. They have proven that they are unskilled and dangerous. They are starting, well, they will start once they have a plan and it will then need to be perfected and tuned and debated, which is a good thing but it takes skill,TIME,and work. They are already so far behind that NOTHING will happen.

2. Rufus on March 2, 2017 at 7:32 am

If it’s so great $peny why don’t you have a ACA policy?

3. Anonymous on March 2, 2017 at 7:48 am

“Repealing the Affordable Care Act Would Have Immediate Consequences for all Marylanders”. Would the consequence be that my insurance goes back to being affordable again? Ever since Obamacare I am baying 1.5 times what I did before and my copays have skyrocketed. How is this the “Affordable” Care Act again? I guess someone needs to cover the healthcare for the drug dealers/addicts and do nothings of the country.

• Sandra on March 3, 2017 at 7:11 am

Agreed, Someone please tell me how this is “Affordable”

4. stgislander on March 2, 2017 at 9:10 am

Yes they would. Being self insured and not qualifying for subsidies, my wife’s and my premiums would come back down to something we could afford.

5. Suffering Maryland Taxpayer on March 2, 2017 at 9:20 am

Go away Spenny and take that evil psycho witch Pelosi with you! We can’t afford your policy’s or the ACA. So STFU and resign immediately! Thanks!

6. Anonymous on March 2, 2017 at 10:06 am

Jack ass.

7. Anonymous on March 2, 2017 at 10:55 am

Immediate consequences indeed. More money in my pay check.

8. Fish on March 2, 2017 at 11:19 am

TERM LIMITS FOR CONGRESS! AND SALARY REDUCTIONS!!

9. Soundsprincess on March 2, 2017 at 3:03 pm

His lips are moving… just saying

10. Anonymous on March 2, 2017 at 3:48 pm

What about the people who didn’t sign up and were threatened and/or fined by the IRS? Will the fines be refunded or repealed as well? He didn’t mention a damn thing about those “consequences.”

11. Jenny on March 2, 2017 at 3:59 pm

What a crock…who does he think he’s fooling??! My insurance and deductibles have increased dramatically since the ACA! I hope he’s defeated in the next election!

12. John on March 2, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Drain the swamp , term limits are needed so that more of everything will be affordable, let’s all get on board with a lean clean government for all. Affordable care should not cost me 38% of my retirement check.

13. Anonymous on March 2, 2017 at 5:42 pm

STFU steny, You exempted yourself from it…

14. somdforever on March 2, 2017 at 10:33 pm

If the ACA is going so great for the people of Maryland, why is it that the largest insurer under the ACA in the Maryland Exchange, Evergreen Insurance, has pulled out of the ACA? Even after getting $65M start-up money from the feds under the ACA, they finally realized the ACA is not sustainable. Those still under Evergreen ACA will remain so until their next enrollment period. Many people have already had to switch to individual policies. Yet, you will not hear a single Maryland politician talk about this. It only came to light through an article in the Baltimore Sun.

15. Tyler on March 2, 2017 at 11:29 pm

I am SO disgusted with the democrats. I have never seen such a vile display of anti Americanism ever. Seriously, it makes me sick to my stomach.

16. Anonymous on March 3, 2017 at 5:15 am

Spendy, your time is short!

17. SonjaD on March 3, 2017 at 6:30 am

Hoyer and the beer brothers are poster boys for term limits.

18. Tell You What on March 3, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Oh shut up Hoyer

19. A Concerned Citizen on March 3, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Hoyer will stay as long as he wants because of the counties other than St. Mary’s that are dependent upon the government dole. He knows it which is why he continues to spout the Democrats version of take from those who have worked to give to those who don’t or won’t. Nancy might not let him rub shoulders or stand in her background if he was to tell the truth about the Awful Care Act.

20. George Thompson on March 3, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Stent needs to leave his state car running in his garage, while he’s seated in it, listening to Obama preach about how great the ACA is. Just let the car run Steny, and don’t forget to shut the garage door. Thanks for doing the right thing!

21. Nikko on March 4, 2017 at 11:40 am

Sure he is going to say that since he was one of the idiots who knew you had to pass the law to see what was in it. A miserable liberal who should have been put out to pasture a long time ago. The liberals in PGCO keep his sorry butt in office. Go look at the farm he has managed to acquire off of the money he has received doing favors. Just another miserable liberal.

• Anonymous on March 7, 2017 at 7:39 am

*Like.

22. Wayne Connelly on March 4, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I hope he chokes on one of those expensive breakfast croissants in Annapolis! Fricken fake azz liberal POS!

23. james on March 7, 2017 at 9:20 am

Liberals built America it is You Trump supporters that are POS. Democrats need to keep standing up and protest until Trump gets impeached.

• Anonymous on March 8, 2017 at 9:51 am

Liberals screwed this country up!

• Paul Simpson on March 8, 2017 at 8:52 pm

You must be high on meth! Step away from the keyboard and go take another nap, loser!