Two-Year-Old Killed in Tree Cutting Accident, 5-Year-Old has Serious Injuries

April 14, 2017

On Thursday, April 13, 2017, at approximately 6:20 p.m., officers from the Charles County Sheriff’s Office responded to the 8900 block of Turkey Hill Road in La Plata for the report of two injured children.

Upon arrival, officers found a two-year-old male and a five-year-old male (siblings) suffering from injuries after a tree fell on them.

A preliminary investigation revealed the father of the two boys was cutting down a tree in his backyard when the tree suddenly turned toward the children who were watching from about 50 feet away. Both children were flown to a hospital where the two-year-old was pronounced deceased.

The 5-year-old has serious injuries.

Detective J. Elliott is investigating.

8 Responses to Two-Year-Old Killed in Tree Cutting Accident, 5-Year-Old has Serious Injuries

1. Eyedea on April 14, 2017 at 10:37 am

Terrible accident.

Best wishes for the 5-year-old’s recovery, though it’ll never be complete without his little brother or sister. :-\

To whomever the father may be, my sincerest condolences. This…. I just couldn’t even imagine this happening to my family.

• Betty on April 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm

my heart is very heavy after reading this…prayers for the family.rip little one.

2. Bobbi on April 14, 2017 at 10:50 am

Praying for the 5 year old to make a full recovery and praying for the father of this tragic accident. God comfort the family and friends and fill them with peace that only you can give them. Truly heartbreaking! :(

3. Big Cookie on April 14, 2017 at 12:41 pm

My heart aches after reading this story. Those poor children. Prayers and condolences to that poor family!

4. xMosquito on April 14, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Just a friendly reminder, regardless how bad you feel about yourself; someone feels much worse today..

5. Ms. Justice bb on April 15, 2017 at 8:06 am

My condolences,prayers,& love is with this family. This was really a freak accident. May God give this family the strength to move on through their time of need.

6. Ali on April 15, 2017 at 6:56 pm

WOW! I can’t imagine what the family, especially the dad, is going through. So sorry for your loss.

7. LM on April 18, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Praying that the 5 year old little boy makes a full-recover. To the family, my sincere condolences.. You are all in my prayers. I am so sorry for what you are going through. May God be with you all.