UPDATE: Driver in Fatal Crash at Maryland International Raceway Identified

July 23, 2017

Official St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Press Release: On July 23, 2017, at approximately 8:02 pm, the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Maryland International Raceway in Mechanicsville, Maryland for a reported crash on the drag strip.

The investigation revealed, the driver, Thomas Albert Dunford, age 60, of Tazewell, Virginia was participating in a race at the Maryland International Raceway.

For unknown reasons, it appears he failed to activate his brakes or parachute causing the dragster to travel through the sandpit, water barrels, and into the trees at the end of the track.

Medical emergency personnel pronounced Dunford deceased at the scene.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Collision Reconstruction Unit responded to the scene to assist with the investigation.

Anyone who may have witnessed the crash or has additional information is asked to contact Corporal Brian Connelly at 301-863-4816, ext. *1456 or by email, Brian.Connelly@stmarysmd.com.

UPDATE 7/24/2017 @ 9:30 a.m.: The deceased has been Identified as Thomas Dunford, of Tazewell, Virginia.

UPDATE 7/23/2017 @ 10:25 p.m.: Witnesses at the track said the “dragster” driven by a Virginia man had just ran a eighth mile run at just over 4.5 seconds, when the driver never let off the gas after the run. The parachute was never released, and the car accelerated through the safety netting and sand trap at the end of the track.

UPDATE 7/23/2017 @ 8:50 p.m.: Members of the Sheriff’s Office Crash Reconstruction Team are responding to the scene and assuming the investigation.

7/23/2017 @ 8:30 p.m.: A Fatal motor vehicle accident has been reported at Maryland International Raceway, in Mechanicsville.

Early reports indicate a car had crashed at the end of the drag strip, no other information was provided.

The driver was pronounced deceased by emergency personal at the scene.

The 2nd Annual F.T.I Competition Converters & Transmissions Super Bowl of Bracket Racing event was being held at the track today.

90 Responses to UPDATE: Driver in Fatal Crash at Maryland International Raceway Identified

1. brad dusterhoft on July 23, 2017 at 9:15 pm

he was a real racer and a good person R.I.P.

• Bruce Bunner - Muscle Car Mafia. Club on July 24, 2017 at 9:23 am

We are sorry to hear about the fatal crash at the drag strip! Our prayers
      are with his family and friends! May he Rest In Peace!

• Linda Yost on July 24, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Today was like no other I woke up to a message that Tommy was in a raceing accident I grow up with him he was a very good person.My heart goes out to his family friends. The GRATTON commons community was shocked to hear of the accident.He will be missed by many people Rest in peace

2. Carolyn Parsons on July 23, 2017 at 9:32 pm

This is something we never like to see or hear happening at any track. My heart felt prayers go out to his family and all who had to witness this horrific incident. May he rest in peace and the family even though we don’t understand the why or when, can get comfort knowing he was doing what he loved to do even though it meant he had to temporary leave them behind. My heart goes out to them. Blondie

3. Stephen Davison on July 23, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Sad day my condolences

4. Susan Barefoot on July 23, 2017 at 10:53 pm

I’m so sorry. Sending prayers

5. Ellen Hanna on July 24, 2017 at 12:27 am

Our deepest sympathy to all track officials and police. I’m sure you did all u could.

6. Brad Edwards on July 24, 2017 at 4:20 am

IF the driver never let off of the gas, he was either unconscious or on a mission to take his own life. The more common reason for a car not to decelerate after it’s run would be that the accelerator hung open and kept the car from decelerating. What’s very strange about this incident is that his parachute system to help slow the car either failed or was not executed… again, a sign he was either unconscious or on a mission to take his own life. This is one of the most odd drag racing accidents I’ve ever been around. So many unknowns. I hope the Sheriff’s Department is able to get more information. My thoughts and prayers are with the Dunford family and loved ones.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 8:30 am

All of that was messed up except for your last sentence.

• CliffO on July 24, 2017 at 9:10 am

Easy to critique when you are “anonymous” huh.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 10:47 am

Says “CliffO” LOL

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 10:01 am

When you’re so wrong that you would rather be anonymous.

• Heather on July 24, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Says anonymous.

• John on July 24, 2017 at 10:55 am

Very sad day never like to hear about a fellow Racer passing… Somethings and opinion should be unspoken.. Are thoughts and prayer’s go out to the family and crew

• John on July 24, 2017 at 10:55 am

• Chuck on July 24, 2017 at 9:14 am

Im sure it’s only between those 2 options (extreme sarcasm) I don’t think you were trying to be disrespectful. Those are definitely some scenarios.
      I don’t think he was trying to commit suicide. Maybe the throttle got stuck. When he pushed the gas maybe the pedal got stuck. I don’t think you have much option at that point. It happened so fast. Such a tragedy, my heart is broken for them.

• Shelly on July 25, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Actually, there ARE options, which is why this is so confusing. There is an ignition switch. Turn it off, the car shuts off. There is a parachute, which was not deployed. I’m not saying it would have prevented the fatality, and I guess the ignition switch could have malfunctioned, but why wouldn’t he at least pull the chute?
        And it was only a 1/8 mile race, meaning he had plenty of track and a good bit of time to use his options.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 9:27 am

Sad but watching the take off at the line over and over looks like he passed out just after launch . Head bobbed down , then further down track looked like neck collar flew out of car , just my opinion sucks rip tommy

• Georgia Thomas on July 26, 2017 at 12:42 am

If he would have passed out he wouldn’t of made a straight pass down the track idiot

• J on July 26, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Yes it would ! Go straight it is not NASCAR . Nice Language

• Billy hews on July 24, 2017 at 11:23 am

I would have to agree ! It was only a 1/8 mile he could have shut ignition off at the very least. Not coming to any conclusions just have to say very odd and sad. A driver with his experience should have done something

• Jim Wahl on July 24, 2017 at 11:54 am

You need to delete this moronic post and STFU!

• Brad Edwards on July 24, 2017 at 4:34 pm

My apologies to those that I may have offended. That was not my intention. There was indeed some sarcasm to my post as I would never assume that Mr. Dunford was trying to take his own life. This guy clearly loved what he did, and he had the trophies to prove he was damn good at it too. I made those remarks to sort of backup how confused I was about the entire situation and that a driver of his quality and experience would likely never have two safety features (parachute and brakes) fail AND a mechanical failure (throttle hanging open) on the same run. Where my confusion comes in is in regards to “If he was conscious, why didn’t he do more?” Thus the reason I’m left to believe he had to have been unconscious. I don’t know what happens to our muscular system when we lose consciousness… if all the muscles just tighten up in the last position we were in, or if it’s like we fall asleep. It adds to my frustration not knowing all these things because I guess I just presume if I doze off at the wheel… the vehicle moves to one side or the other, and drifts off the road. The people watching online did not see if the car moved to the left or right after the finish as the camera view switched back to the starting line. So I have no idea if his car moved close to the wall or if it drifted over to the right lane. Who knows what his competitor saw?

I realize these cars can practically stay straight with very little effort when setup correctly, but just beyond the finish line, you can see the car begin to move to the right lane, and then someone, or something, corrects that… car begins to go straight again, then something clearly flies off of it… and the car never starts to decelerate. The correction that was made to straighten the car back out is what threw me off on my initial belief of Mr. Dunford being unconscious. Clearly there was no parachute, no brakes, and if the throttle hung open, there’s definitely an option or two that a driver has… and Mr. Dunford had the skills and knowledge to understand those options. A kill switch, turning it up against the wall and letting it brush off speed that way… throw it into reverse… do whatever means necessary. None of those things were done. At this point, I believe he lost consciousness somewhere after the finish line… and that the object we see flying out at the end of the race may very well have been something that struck Mr. Dunford and caused him to lose consciousness (I still wonder what that object was) because you can hear it in the video with a loud enough speaker system that the car was full tilt all the way until the end. I do wonder if an autopsy will be done to identify if he indeed lost consciousness prior (heart attack maybe, or like I said; the object in question striking him). There’s a lot that can be investigated I would think… the helmet could probably tell a lot.

Again; I apologize for offending anyone. I had no desire to ruffle feathers. I think I’m just angry that the sport lost a very talented driver, and I just can’t see a driver with so much experience not making every possible effort to keep himself from losing his life if he was conscious and able. Maybe this isn’t the best place to voice my frustration and heartache in regards to the situation, but at least I know I’m among other fans and people that care enough to keep up with the latest updates. This was the first time I’ve ever witnessed (either in person or through the internet) someone’s last drag race and that same someone losing their life doing what they loved. Mr. Dunford is surely in a much better place now; on a track where he won’t ever lose again, and watching out from above over all of us, that can only hope to be as skilled as him someday, while we enjoy the same hobby down here on Earth. This will be a moment I never forget… and his family and loved ones are in my prayers and thoughts. God bless them all.

• Jeff on July 24, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I would submit more than likely he had a heart attack or stroke. Unfortunately, many drivers have had heart attacks at or on the race track.

• allen b. on July 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Most would guess heart attack, before assuming it was intentional.

• Randy on July 25, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I worked with Tommy back in the mid 80’s when he was still racing a 76 Kawasaki Z900 and had purchase a 69 Nova AS that he built into the “Dark Horse”. His roofing company was just beginning to become something big. I went with him to most of his races as one of his crew men. My job was to fill the the box to keep the fuel cold with ice. Not a big job but it got me in the races for free.lol. That being said, Tommy was an easy going friendly, nicest person you could meet. He always had a smile on his face. He lived to race. I’m sure he still had the fire in him. He hated to lose. So, Anonymous, Tommy would be the last person I would think of to end his own life. My heart goes out to Tommys family and friends. I went up to Tazewell after many years away. I looked for Tommy not knowing that he waa racing in Maryland. We haven’t stayed in touch. The last time I saw Tommy was 8 years ago. Still the same ole Tommy, happy to see me. When I got back to Florida monday is when I found out. Broke my heart. It had to be a stuck accelerator pedal or linkage. If the car had drive by wire, which I doubt, it was a electronic failure. RIP Tommy

• Anne Funderburk on July 25, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Mr.Edwards, Apparently you did not know the racer that lost his life. How dare you ever say such a thing that he was on a MISSION TO TAKE HIS OWN LIFE. I did not know him personally but I do know several of the people he raced with all the time. Mr. Dunford was a RESPECTABLE RACER that would have NEVER took his OWN LIFE. He loved DRAG RACING AND HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY who he raced with. He was a Professional Racer and had been for years. He participated in many events. No one knows what happened this awful day but the good Lord above. We may never know. I hope members of his family nor his close friends will read this very cruel post you have written. How dare you even PRINT SOMETHING SO HEARTLESS!!!!

• Anne Funderburk on July 25, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Mr.Edwards I really hope that the Dunford Family do not read your post. The idea that you post something so heartless:on a mission to take his own life. No one knows but God above what happened that day, a WONDERFUL RACER lost his life. I think you may need to rethink what you have posted. I never had the honor of meeting Mr. Dunford but I do know some that raced with him very often and this statement if WAY OFF, HE LOVED LIFE AND HE LOVED RACING He loved people and loved to help people, he was very professional and new more about cars and drag racing than most, so lets keep our opinions to ourselves and respect his family and friends as they mourn the loss of their loved one. As the wife and a Mother of 3 sons who drag race, we all have lost a MEMBER OF OUR DRAG RACING FAMILY!

7. Roger on July 24, 2017 at 7:04 am

Sounds like multiple mechanical failures or a medical emergency. Condolences to the family and hopefully they can find comfort in the fact that the individual died doing something they were passionate about.

8. Lisa on July 24, 2017 at 7:33 am

That place needs to go

• Jester on July 24, 2017 at 8:18 am

@ Lisa,
      Would you rather people race on the street? Have you been on MD-235/5 (or any other highway in MD) lately? Do you even drive? Apparently, there is nothing in this article for you. Please get back into your minivan and move on down the road. G’bye.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 8:58 am

100 times safer on the drag strip in proper equipment than in your own car on the hiway. Lisa enjoy your walk down the path of ignorance.

• Jester on July 24, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Yes, much safer indeed!! As a High Performance Driver Education (HPDE)/Hooked on Driving instructor (left, right, clutch, brake, on road courses), I fully support providing high performance driver training for those with capable cars, in the controlled environment… of a race course! With a focus on safety, coaching, learning and fun. Drivers are able to experience their cars at a higher level on a track than would be safe or prudent on the public highways. And I know factually, that Maryland International Raceway (MIR) fully supports the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) rules & regulations; which does exactly the same thing for Drag Racers. It’s ALL about safety.

• Dave on July 24, 2017 at 8:58 am

Elaborate please..I’d love to hear what you have to say since you have never even been there.

• Bob Lob Law on July 24, 2017 at 9:45 am

There it is, the call to ban when something goes wrong. Liberalism at it’s best.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 10:49 am

That is soo true,these democrats are so screwed up in the head.lol.

• Jim on July 24, 2017 at 9:51 am

Safer than walking in the mall

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 9:54 am

BAN RACING! Lisa, you really are one stupid fool. Why don’t you leave?

• Brian on July 24, 2017 at 10:27 am

Oh, shut up, Lisa.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 10:57 am

Next the democrats will be asking to ban this website because their itty bitty feeling got hurt.What idiots democrats are.

• Bob Lob Law on July 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Too late, it’s already happened.

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 10:42 am

Let me guess…you bought a house within earshot of the drag strip and don’t like the ‘noise’. Like someone who buys a house near an airport, then wants the airport shut down. SMH

• Drag Girl on July 24, 2017 at 10:58 am

Maybe you should go….to BFE in your fantasy world where nothing is unsafe or risky in a MOSTLY CONTROLLED environment, even breathing in pollen or humid air. Drag strips and race tracks are for that reason. So people don’t use streets with out protective equipment on open roads to kill your mom or kids in a wreckless high speed accident. Does that still happen, yes….and those are the folks that need to go….along with you to your BFE Fantasy world to annoy you for the rest of you miserable life.

• KLC on July 24, 2017 at 8:28 pm

OMG I think I love you Drag Girl. I thought I was the only one who still used “BFE”. Most people don’t know that one.
        And yes I agree the drag strip is a good place. RIP Thomas Dunford, and prayers to his friends and family.

• Bob Lob Law on July 25, 2017 at 7:23 am

Who DOESN’T know BFE means? LOL

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 11:31 am

Lisa doesn’t know how cars work and she can’t stand the thought of the men there having fun. So she wants to BAN THE PLACE. What a ugly, fat, over-the-hill idiot.

• cheywolf on July 25, 2017 at 8:42 am

UMMM Girls race too, just sayin…lol

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 11:38 am

Lisa i used to work at MIR. It is one of the safest and best drag racing complexes in the country!! 1000s of people come to race here because our track operators and officals are some of the best in the business!!!! Unfortunately these things happen in racing all over the world and in all disciplines and its really sad to see but i hope the family will soon get peace and maybe (unfortunately thorugh these circumstances) more safety equipment and regulations will be improved so that another instance like this doesnt happen again :(

• Jennifer on July 24, 2017 at 3:20 pm

*YOU* need to go, Lisa

9. Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 7:59 am

Rest easy Mr dunford it was a pleasure to have known you

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 8:24 am

And why is that? People die on the road everyday, should we take away cars and go back to horse and buggy? Planes crash – do we get rid of those too?

• Chibbs on July 24, 2017 at 9:12 am

I’ve seen plenty of buggy accidents and plane crashes. Your statement lacks merit, or foresight. You must have a foreskin mask over your face.

• Chibbs on July 24, 2017 at 11:10 am

Reply to Lisa, arthritic fingers!

• Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 9:37 am

Oops, sorry. This response was meant for Lisa (post above)

10. C on July 24, 2017 at 8:02 am

Rest easy Mr dunford it was a pleasure to have known you

11. Dana Cline on July 24, 2017 at 8:22 am

So extremely sad! Prayers going to his family. Racing is a sport which so many of us love but know the risks. He may have had a medical emergency and was unable to reacte. My heart goes out to all of his friends and family.

12. Dana Alaine on July 24, 2017 at 8:25 am

So sad! Prayers to his friends and family. Racing is a sport, which we assume the risks. It may have been a medical emergency which he was unable to react. My heart breaks for his family and friends.

13. Bea on July 24, 2017 at 9:28 am

So sorry fot the loss prayers for the family and MIR CREW AND all others involved

14. Jim on July 24, 2017 at 9:38 am

RIP thooams Dunsford Godspeed

15. Jim on July 24, 2017 at 9:38 am

Thomas

16. Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 10:22 am

My heart goes out to his family remember the good times and always cherish them he was loved by many may God bless you all

17. Drag Girl on July 24, 2017 at 10:44 am

Rest In Peace Mr. Dunford, keep the wheels turning in heaven.

18. putt putt on July 24, 2017 at 10:59 am

OMG that video is heart wrenching. Rest in peach Tommy.

19. Kevin McCann Motorsports on July 24, 2017 at 11:11 am

Glad to have known him and consider him a great friend he will be missed Race In Piece

20. Cassandra Robinson on July 24, 2017 at 11:35 am

We here at Best Western had a true pleasure of meeting him. He stays here every year and will be missed.
    My heart goes out to the family. May God strengthen the family and friends in this time of hardship. He was truly a nice man.

21. Joe on July 24, 2017 at 11:41 am

Sound like he was a die hard enthusiast and racer like myself. He left this world doing what he loved. My condolences go out to the family and loved ones. God bless…

“If speed kills me, don’t cry because I was smiling” – Paul Walker

22. Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 1:02 pm

We know the risks Everytime we get in the car and no one can deny that. This sport isn’t for the weak. Adrenaline is what pushes us to keep going faster. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

23. Joyce on July 24, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Please show some respect here folks. Its all about Thomas Dunford and his family. May he RIP

24. Just a thought on July 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm

So sad to hear this, being that hubby races to. Do you suppose there was a medical reason for the crash?

25. WILLIAMS RACING on July 24, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I have seen this before. always sad. I am guessing a heart attack. Full speed without trying to slow down makes me say that… GOD SPEED THOMAS RIP.. Joyce :::: I CONCUR WITH YOUR STATEMENT.

26. Danny Nelson Racecraft on July 24, 2017 at 4:30 pm

No one will EVER know exactly what happened, We all take a chance when we get up in the morning. RIP Thomas, Great guy, and a hell of a racer, I am sure something happened and he was not in control at all, But as above no one will ever truly know. For him to be be capable of shutting it down, He had to not be in control of his actions, as long of shut down that is there, Running 1/8th mile, and everyone saying the chutes didn’t come out, he (along with everyone else bracket racing do not use the chute in 1/8 mile) again he was not in control or their are many things he would have done to get it shut down if he could!! Very BAD DEAL. Just my thoughts

27. Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Only met him twice but he was a good man and a great racer… I hate that I didn’t meet him sooner he will b missed very much

28. Pat on July 24, 2017 at 5:00 pm

So sad, Rest In Peace! Condolences to the Family ❤️

29. RANDY on July 24, 2017 at 5:58 pm

if you look right after the finish line looks like the car wiggled just a little that could be when he found the motor was wide open ive taken this ride before with carbs wide open, you have only a very few seconds to recoup very hard to do goes slow motion but your mind is racing to live! I KNOW THE FEELING FROM MY CRASH AT ROCKINGHAM 2001 I destroyed the net ,chain lenth fence ,two telephone poles and a steel cable ………..Royce has always run a very safe race and track …SORRY TOMMI….RIP

30. Bradley on July 24, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Me Dunford cared about the lower guy. The Vagrant, the old man, the down and out, He took care of lots of people that wouldn’t have anything other than the clothes they walked in with when he gave them jobs. I seen it myself and am better because of him. My mom just told me a story about a time when he was having heart issues and was scared. So he wanted my mom to go to the hospital with him because she believed in God. Not his own mom not his sister, but my mom. He very much loved life and living and for someone to say the things I see here is disrespectful.If he chose to do so it was his decision, but I know Tommy . RIP

31. Van Dyke on July 24, 2017 at 6:58 pm

This was my cousin. I’ve grown up with him. I’ve watched him race tons of times. I hope they find out what happened.

32. Anonymous on July 24, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I thought MIR was a 1/4 track..do they run both?

• J on July 28, 2017 at 4:57 pm

YES ITS A 1/4 MILE TRACK , BUT THEY WERE RUNNING A 1/8TH MILE EVENT

33. J.D. Lewis on July 24, 2017 at 9:26 pm

The WIN light is on in Heaven.God Bless you for all the fun times I enjoyed seeing you win.

34. Jeffrey Mills on July 25, 2017 at 1:28 am

More than likely a medical event rendered him unconscious…if you drive a rail you know how to shut it down if you are awake….tragic…prayers for crew and family…

35. Mario on July 25, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Not to come across as insensitive, but I cant help but wonder how fast a vehicle like that could actually travel. We know how fast they can go over the course of an 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. And I have never been to MIR, but I have to imagine the “track” is 1/2 – 3/4 mile in length. For the vehicle to be in full acceleration for 1/2 mile+, how fast would the vehicle have been traveling at the end of the track. Perhaps the experts would know that answer

• J on July 28, 2017 at 5:00 pm

GUESSING 215 MPH

36. ron smith on July 25, 2017 at 6:33 pm

need to find out what his autopsy report says to help other racers , in the vidio i seen , it looked like a good run , but down track the car started moving around and gradualy went to the right , hard to say in the vidio he took ill , but id guess just before the 660 stripe , excitement is high then , plus it was said he said he wasnt feeling good in staging , god rest his soul , and bless his family , he went out doing what he loved , this may sound dumb , i drag bikes , how is the throttle activated in his type of dragster ?

• Bob Lob Law on July 26, 2017 at 7:30 am

I’m going to get you hooked on phonics, don’t go anywhere.

37. Troy Zimmerman on July 25, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Rest in peace Tom Dundford you will be missed

38. Troy Zimmerman on July 25, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Rest in peace Tommy you will be missed

39. Georgia Thomas on July 26, 2017 at 12:31 am

We were at the track that day! He had apparently lifted off the gas because he only ran 146mph. A dragster running 4.58 in the 8th mile can easily go 155mph. The car then went wide open (full throttle). Tommy made a straight A to B pass! What happened afterwards, well only god knows!!! It’s not fair to assume that someone would ever take their life doing what they loved to do each and every weekend! Tommy had a heart of gold and always helped people out when they couldn’t afford to race! He will be forever in our hearts and on our minds! When you go through the finish line, you only have a few seconds to think of what to do. Tommy was an experienced racer, obviously something terrible went wrong to cause this tragic event to happen! It’s easy to say ” Why didn’t he pull the parachute” or ” Why didn’t he hit the brakes”. When your in that situation let me know how much time you have to think of everything that needs to be done!

• J on July 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm

THAT WAS THE CORRECT SPEED FOR THAT RUN IT MATCHES HIS TIME (PRACTICE RUNS) ,

40. Anonymous on July 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm

God Speed my Friend, A fellow racer from Virginia racing the same class. Prayers to your family.

41. Cynthia and troy zimmerman on July 26, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Tommy dunford was one of the best men I’ve ever met he was such a loving caring man who done a lot for our family and many others I still can’t comprehend he’s gone rest in paradise and keep those wheels a spinning in heaven rest in peace