21-Year-Old Hughesville Woman Killed in La Plata Motor Vehicle Accident

December 7, 2017

Speed and alcohol are believed to be contributing factors in this collision

State police are investigating a three vehicle collision that claimed the life of a woman driving eastbound on MD Rt. 6, west of Cooksey Road in La Plata, on Thursday, December 7, 2017.

The deceased victim is identified as Taylor Anne Halbleib, 21, of Hughesville.  She was transported to the University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center, where she succumbed to her injuries. Halbleib was driving a blue 2013 Hyundai Elantra.

The driver of the vehicle that was struck by the Hyundai is identified as Brittany Camille Coggins, 24, of La Plata. She was the sole occupant, driving a sliver Honda Odyssey van. Coggins was not injured in the collision.

The vehicle at fault in the collision was driven by Daniel Juwan Butler, 22 of Newburg. Butler was driving a black 2004 Ford F-150. He was injured in the crash and transported to the University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center.

The passenger in Butler’s vehicle is identified as Logan Alexander Shifflett, 21, of Waldorf, MD. He was flown by state police medevac to UM Prince George’s Hospital Center where he is undergoing medical treatment for injuries sustained in the crash.

Shortly before 2:30 a.m. Thursday, December 7, 2017, troopers from the La Plata barrack responded to multiple calls reporting a multi- vehicle collision on MD Rt. 6, west of Cooksey Road.  Arriving troopers found fire and rescue personnel on the scene attending to the victims.

The preliminary investigation indicates that Butler was driving eastbound on MD Rt. 6, west of Cooksey Road when the crash occurred. Butler for unknown reasons failed to stop, striking the blue Hyundai in the rear. The blue Hyundai was then pushed into the silver Honda. Speed and alcohol are believed to be contributing factors in this collision.

The Maryland State Police Crash Team responded and will be conducting a detailed crash reconstruction. Upon completion, the investigation will be forwarded to the Charles County State’s Attorney’s Office for review regarding charges.

MDOT State Highway Administration personnel were on the scene and assisted with lane closures and detours around the scene. Lanes were reopened by 7:45 a.m.

Investigators are collecting evidence and seeking anyone who may have witnessed the incident. Witnesses are urged to call the Maryland State Police Crash Team at 301-392-1231.

The investigation continues.

44 Responses to 21-Year-Old Hughesville Woman Killed in La Plata Motor Vehicle Accident

1. Jon on December 7, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Speed and alcohol are believed to be contributing factors in this collision.

When will people ever learn?

2. Devin Kyle on December 7, 2017 at 1:11 pm

I worked with Taylor’s mom for almost 3 years, everyone in her family was so kind and caring. I am praying for them during these difficult times, and I love them very much. I hope they eventually can find some peace. I can’t believe these selfish actions left my friend without her daughter, especially so soon to Christmas. Hopefully everyone has learned something.

Love you Patti, sending good wishes to you and your family. I am so, so sorry.

3. J.b.A. on December 7, 2017 at 10:13 pm

I dont believe for one second that alcohol had anything to do with this. I know daniel personally and worked with him a few yearsa ago and hes not stupid enough to drink and drive. My condolonces to the family of the deceased but everybody needs to sto monday morning quarterbacking talkin about selfish actions and crap. Whose to say that the blue car didnt have their lights on so they werent visible? Or maybe he had brake failure and thats why he didnt stop? Wait until the official investigation is completed and released.

• Anonymous on December 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Sadly he is. I guess you haven’t seen the pictures that were posted on Snapchat with 15 beers that were shared between him and the passenger of the car before they left the bar that night.

• Think before u speak on December 12, 2017 at 5:29 pm

We’re u there? Did u see them personally drink all those beers? No i don’t think so

• anonymous on December 12, 2017 at 9:56 pm

The toxicology will clear it all up for us all.Just pray for the families involved

• RickJames on December 13, 2017 at 8:59 am

You must be drunk, or high. Denial is a powerful drug.

• Adam 12 on December 13, 2017 at 10:30 am

Really? Stop it. You know the truth and there’s a young girl dead. Stop defending these turds.

• Anonymous on December 8, 2017 at 5:54 pm

So those pics he posted on FB before the accident of the empty beer bottles and how he and his buddy were throwin’ em back was photo shopped? And the police and witnesses are lying? Got it.

• Robert on December 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I think you’re going to be very shocked when all of the details are released. Maybe you don’t know him as well as you think you do. So very sad!

• J on December 9, 2017 at 12:21 am

Guess you should look into Logan and His Snapchat stories before they left the Greene Turtle that night. 12 beers between the two and they still decided to drive home.

• Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 9:39 am

Always someone in denial. It is what it is cupcake, so get over it. Smh

• Roy Fedders on December 9, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Some times even the “complete” investigation doesn’t include “all” of the facts. There may be facts left out that the investigating officer may not be made aware of.

• Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm

You should check their social media before defending them dumbass.

• Heather on December 11, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Someone is dead and you resort to name calling, how classy a person you must be…

• Adam 12 on December 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm

In this case, I agree with him. There is no defense for a drunk driver plowing into an innocent girl sitting at a traffic light. How can anyone possibly defend the driver that caused that horrific crash?

4. Tina Dent on December 8, 2017 at 5:40 am

I was fortunate to know Taylor and the beautiful soul she was. I’m still struggling to believe This. She touched so many lives and she didn’t even know probably . You are loved, and you will always be loved. I’ve met your family and they are just wonderful people. I grieve for them. I love you and I am the one who is blessed to call you friend and get to know you. We had many deep conversations and worked things out together, With simple conversation. I am grateful that my children got to meet you and Kristin got to meet Lexi. So much pain and sadness for all of us right now. I will never forget that day big big balloon you brought to the Bee’s and those 24 cupcakes, flowers and other gifts on my birthday celebration .You my friend made that day special for me and I will be forever grateful . My heart goes out to this family it’s just unbearable I’m showing it. I’m here for you anything I can do. God bless you and rest in peace my friend.

• Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 9:13 am

Cool story bro, now stop talking to a dead person.

• Rebecca Klein on December 9, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Yeah, pretty weird. Sounds like she’s off her meds again.

• Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 11:41 pm

I only wish you could be less heartless. It’s easy to make fun of someone while they are going through something, because you simply do not understand. Grief is difficult and everyone deals with it differently. When someone you love with all your heart dies, (God forbid) but you will break also. It is our human nature to build relationships and love others. We simply cannot help but grieve.

• Dr. Drew on December 11, 2017 at 9:06 am

Please stop posting and take some meds, anything, to make you STFU.

• Heather on December 11, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I’m guessing you’ve never lost a loved one before. It must suck being so pathetic to try and bring someone down

• Leather on December 11, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Apparently, not sucking as bad as you. Get over it and yourself.

• Ace of spades on December 12, 2017 at 8:58 am

Hopefully a drunk driver plows into you

• Bob Lob Law on December 11, 2017 at 3:04 pm

So anyone that doesn’t share your views is “pathetic”. I’m guessing you’ve never lost a pet lizard before. It must suck being so pathetic to try and bring someone down.

• Ace of spades on December 12, 2017 at 8:58 am

This coming from the biggest troll that comments on this site

5. Rob Goldsmith on December 8, 2017 at 9:50 am

Isn’t the pickup truck driver a volunteer firefighter? I sure hope he wasn’t responding to an emergency call.

• Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 11:14 pm

WTF?!!! You are kidding, right?

• Adam 12 on December 11, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Yes, Newburg.

• TicksRLosers on December 11, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Just another wannabe loser. Now he stepped up to being a killer. Idiots running wild in the county with no supervison. The volunteer system is a JOKE!

• Katie Myers on December 12, 2017 at 5:03 pm

That’s a pretty harsh statement. My dad is a volunteer and he doesn’t fit your stereotype.

• Think before u speak on December 12, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Nice for u to say u loser. Have u ever been in the position? I’m sure you haven’t. Have u ever done something that u regret. I’m sure u have. Before u run your mouth about something u know nothing about. U might want to evaluate some of your mistakes

• Adam 12 on December 13, 2017 at 10:33 am

Something you regret? Why are you defending this selfish killer?

• joe johnson on December 13, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Sounds like a Paid Firefighter (aka union members) ignorant arse comment. If you aren’t a Volunteer you aren’t a real Firefighter or Man, just someone hoping to get paid off some else’s misfortune, no better than an Ambulance Chasing Lawyer (aka douche bag).

6. Carly Smith on December 8, 2017 at 4:12 pm

So sorry for the families loss :( What a terrible tragedy. Sending prayers

7. Anonymous on December 8, 2017 at 6:10 pm

You booze, you lose

8. DK on December 8, 2017 at 8:23 pm

It really doesn’t matter what you “believe”. Why don’t YOU wait until the investigation is complete before coming on here defending someone who killed an innocent person?! Do u think they would say alcohol was a contributing factor if it wasn’t….

9. Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 7:45 am

Prayers for the family. So sad with a full life ahead of her. Rest in Peace.

10. Anonymous on December 9, 2017 at 11:38 pm

All this negativity can really make it worse on the family. An elementary concept we all learned was if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say it at all. It really hurts my heart for someone my age to have left this earth so quickly. What I can say for sure is that pain is temporary. And most importantly God had a plan through all of this. We all love you so much Tay

11. Anonymous on December 10, 2017 at 1:52 am

I don’t know the young girl that is deceased but she’s and a better place and what ever happened will come out of the investigation but we need to remember people everybody is human im not here to defend this young guy but we need to remember we’re not perfect by any means people it is very sad that this tragedy had to happen may GOD be with all that were accident and there families.

• Grammar Police on December 11, 2017 at 10:51 am

Punctuation isn’t your thing, eh?

12. Charlene on December 11, 2017 at 9:11 am

Prayers! For all the victims of vehicle crashes, DUI’s and other crimes in La Plata.

13. Keep it Real on December 12, 2017 at 5:41 am

I wish all peoples involved – hearts – to be filled with Peace, Forgiveness, and God Speed to the ”’Angel”’ taken too soon.

14. Take this however you want to on December 13, 2017 at 12:39 am

If the so-called facts are correct, and he was driving drunk off his ass, and killed someone, I hope he gets his just desserts. I’m fed up with people not in control of how much they drink; thinking they’re invincible and they can handle it. Worst of all, in my opinion, these restaurants thrive off selling alcohol, and another innocent life is lost because they care more about making a buck than knowing when to stop serving someone alcohol before they reach critical mass. They make their money, and another drunk driver takes a life. And let’s not forget all the money our government collects in taxes from selling booze while thousands of people die out on the roads. And, yes, I say our government deals in liquor sales because they make a percentage of the profit. We’re putting a lot of self-destruction into the hands of people, counting on them to do the right thing and know when to exert self-control. Fact is, it looks like at least 10% (maybe higher) of the general public doesn’t know what self-control means. Crazy world we’re living in.