Pomfret Man Arrested After Forcing His Way Onto a School Bus in Charles County

March 8, 2018
Hugh Walter Winkler, 70 of Pomfret

Hugh Walter Winkler, 70 of Pomfret

On Thursday, March 1, 2018, Deputies from the Charles County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area of Raphael Drive off of Marshalls Corner Road, in Pomfret for the report of a man who forced his way onto a school bus and was preventing the bus from leaving.

Officers responded to the scene and observed Hugh Walter Winkler, 70 of Pomfret, standing inside the doorway of an occupied school bus. Winkler was ordered off the bus by police and detained.

Through investigation it was learned that Winkler was upset because the school bus was turning around on his property and causing damage to his land. Instead of obtaining the bus number and contacting the school board, Winkler drove his personal truck in front of the bus, blocking it from moving forward, and then forced his way onto the bus. At the time, the bus was occupied by the driver, 4 special needs children and an aide.

Winkler was using profanity and ordering the bus driver to call her supervisor and told her she was not leaving until a supervisor arrived.

The bus driver was able to radio to the school board and they notified police.

Winkler was arrested by deputies and transported to the Charles County Detention Center, where he was charged with obstruction, hinderance or interference with school bus driver during official duties and disorderly conduct. Winkler was release on his own recognizance the next day.

Hugh Walter Winkler, 70 of Pomfret

Hugh Walter Winkler, 70 of Pomfret

46 Responses to Pomfret Man Arrested After Forcing His Way Onto a School Bus in Charles County

1. Tmac on March 8, 2018 at 10:39 am

Get off my lawn!

• Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 1:28 pm

2. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 11:14 am

If the bus driver is driving into his yard he has a legitimate case. He was an idiot for taking matters into his own hands. If he wanted proof all he needed to do is take pictures of the damage and get a video of the bus on his property. If the driver can’t turn around without entering his property then they need to find an alternative way to pick up and drop off in that area. Speaking from experience it is infuriating when I get home and discover huge trenches on either side of my driveway because a large vehicle decided to turn around using my property. It happens so frequently that I recently installed a trail camera to capture license plate numbers so I can go after them legally.

• Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 9:38 am

Come on. You really think that old man is familiar enough with today’s technology that he’d know how to operate a modern day camera/video capture device? Be realistic.

• Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 11:10 am

I am pretty sure they had cameras when he was growing up. If it happens regularly he should have taken pictures and reported it as a property destruction. I had to install metal poles with spikes on the sides of my driveway. They get knocked down from time to time but judging by the paint left on the poles the vehicles suffered some damage. Didn’t want it to come to that but got tired of fixing the trenches in my yard multiple times a year.

3. Nick on March 8, 2018 at 11:56 am

Dumb ass! Solved a your problem didn’t you?

• Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Judging by your grammar you must of been on that bus. Sorry he scared you.

4. Charles on March 8, 2018 at 12:16 pm

“Get off my lawn”

5. Pomfret lives on on March 8, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Man should be ashamed of himself,acting like that in front of school children,not the way to go about the situation community service for him,wash every school bus in Charles county should be his punishment,he must have ridden the SHORT bus to school back in the day

• Lindsey on March 17, 2018 at 3:26 am

Wow.. there were four special needs children exposed to this mans behavior and that is the comment you chose.. My son has down syndrome and I know he would have been terrified had he been on that bus..

6. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 1:26 pm

The damn bus was turning around ON HIS PROPERTY causing damage. I know the feeling. I guess he should have followed proper channels but he is 70 years old and he would be dead before it was even heard.

7. DUDE on March 8, 2018 at 1:36 pm

8. HoHoHo on March 8, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Say it isn’t so Santa!

9. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Why did he do that? Maybe the bus driver pissed him off?

10. John on March 8, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Alittle asertive Mr Winkler, But I bet you that driver will learn to respect someones property !!

11. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Bravo Santa Claus. You got caught hijacking the short bus. No cookies for you this year!

12. Sharon Bowie on March 8, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Where is “Perry Mason Bowie” when you need him Hugh????? :-)

13. Cdub on March 8, 2018 at 6:23 pm

14. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 6:40 pm

idiot, way to scare some kids tough guy

15. Pomfret lives on on March 8, 2018 at 8:01 pm

He needs a mental evaluation,upset about some tires tracks,good grief,his punishment should be,wash every school bus in the county,wash on wash off

• I'm still laughing on March 9, 2018 at 8:45 pm

You’re an idiot. I’m sure it was more than just tracks. Wash every bus? LOL ok moron LOOOL.

16. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Wrong way to go about it you old ass doucher.

17. TRUMPLAND on March 8, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Donald Trump’s world don’t give a care about kids or students. Trump swindled students with his Trump University fakery. Now that is REAL NEWS.

• Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 9:56 am

So what does Trump have to do with this? I guess if he wasn’t president this would of never happened.

• CryingLiberal on March 9, 2018 at 10:39 am

You really need to get over yourself, your hero Hillary lost!!! Loser!

• Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 5:01 pm

I thought there was one dumbass in this story, buuytttt, there’s two!!!

• I'm still laughing on March 9, 2018 at 8:40 pm

LMFAO what a butt hurt snowflake. Repeat after me: Donald Trump is MY president.

18. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Haha talk about white trash

19. Anonymous on March 8, 2018 at 11:44 pm

I know Hugh Winkler he’s a good man, I know he wouldn’t have hurt anyone but,on that day it sounds as though his temper got the better of him.He right about the bus trespassing but it won’t matter now.

• Anonymous on March 10, 2018 at 4:52 pm

The Bus would not turn around on anyone’s property with out Transportation telling them to. Transportation is supposed to get permission from property owners prior to buses doing this. Once again CCBOE department of Transportation fault yet the driver gets wrongly blamed.

20. Ben Matlock on March 9, 2018 at 8:00 am

He’s like the old man that lived in your neighborhood when you were growing up. You know, the guy that wouldn’t let you get your ball if it went in his yard.

• Charles on March 9, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Also keeps his Christmas lights on year round

21. Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 9:45 am

So a total 6 individuals on the bus with 5 being passengers. Why don’t they just get those small school buses like they have in DC and it will be easier to make turns in small spaces and sufficient enough to transport small groups?

22. Yikes on March 9, 2018 at 9:51 am

Nick Nolte has seen better days…

23. Sarah on March 9, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Were the parents of the children, notified????

24. Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 3:44 pm

President Chump’s brother. Damn republicans

• Anonymous on March 11, 2018 at 1:45 pm

President Trump is your Daddy, sorry that your butt is still sore.

25. Anon on March 9, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Actually, he’s a nice guy. Just went about it the wrong way.

26. Anon on March 9, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Arm school bus drivers!

27. Shawn on March 9, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Why would he prevent the bus from moving. doesn’t he know that these kids need to get to school so they can be targets of people with legally owned guns exercising their right to the second amendment

28. Steve B on March 10, 2018 at 8:53 am

I know him. He’s a good guy and wouldn’t hurt little ones and yes he has been a
    Santa. I mean this guy didn’t like Trace Adkins song Honky Tonk Badonkadonk because of the phrase “slap you old grandma”. He felt is was disrespectful. I think he did overreact but…he’s a pretty old school guy. Once he gets something in his head he can be stubborn as a mule. I guess he just got tired of having his property destroyed by the bus and decided to do something about it. He really isn’t a bad person. He’s just like any old guy (myself included) set in his ways.

BTW His actions have NOTHING to do with Trump, snowflake.

• A friend of Hughie on March 12, 2018 at 11:44 am

Thanks Steve, and once again FB and So Md News want to slander people. Go after the real criminals. Hughie didn’t know the kids were on the bus #1 and he couldn’t hear the bus driver, who apparently opened the door for him. And the aide is one who called 911 and the 1st police officer (wet behind the ears) wanted a feather in his hat. So the drama proceeded.

29. Past busdriver on March 10, 2018 at 4:58 pm

1st and foremost STOP blaming the Driver. The bus driver is doing what CCBOE Department of Transportation tells them to do. Drivers are not allowed to turn any bus around on private property with out approval from Transportation. Transportation is supposed to get permission from the property owner prior to having a bus turn around on private property. Therefore Transportation apparently dropped the ball or lied, maybe even both.

• Keeping it Real on March 12, 2018 at 7:27 am

Bus drivers must be idiots then.

Maybe use your common sense?

Bus driver: Gee. Property owner is upset that I’m causing damage on his property. Maybe I shouldn’t use his property to turn around.

I guess if you only have two brain cells (thus driving a bus) common sense isn’t so common.

30. Anonymous on March 12, 2018 at 6:10 am

Nothing more than an undocumented rider. Why you being racist towards him?

31. Mayberry RFD on March 13, 2018 at 6:29 am

This should be on The People’s Court!

Yawn……(but not on here)