Homeowners Should Check Tree Contractors’ Credentials

March 8, 2018

Only Maryland Licensed Tree Experts Should be Hired

After the recent late winter storms and high winds, property owners across Maryland are learning the extent of damage to their property.

In cases where the cleanup requires a professional to handle the work, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has a few important suggestions homeowners should follow before bringing in a contractor to clear tree branches, limbs and other debris.

Only Maryland Licensed Tree Experts should be hired to trim branches and remove damaged and downed trees – they are the only tree care professionals who lawfully can perform this work in Maryland.

Before a contractor begins work, homeowners can verify the company has a licensed tree expert on staff by asking to see their license. The department’s website also allows anyone to check for the license number.

Licensed Tree Experts are required to carry insurance that covers tree care work. A company that states it is “bonded and insured” but isn’t licensed is not only violating the law, it may not have the proper coverage.

Other important recommendations include:

• Obtain more than one estimate for the proposed work.
  • Get a written contract that states the work to be performed and the cost.
  • Never pay the full amount before all the work is completed as per the written and signed contract.

Anyone who believes they’ve been approached by an unlicensed business advertising or practicing tree care services in Maryland can contact the Maryland Forest Service at 410- 260-8511 or file a complaint online.

19 Responses to Homeowners Should Check Tree Contractors’ Credentials

1. The Lorax on March 8, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Treemans really good at putting up unsightly signs, all along our roadways. As for the tree cutting skills, what would you expect from a bunch of ex-convicts with chainsaws and axes? No thank you! Stick to littering with your crappy signs and leave the tree removal work to the experts.

• April on March 9, 2018 at 8:56 am

Treeman is actually one of the Licensed Tree Experts and they’ve done good work for me. Not only do I not have any complaints, but I’d recommend them.

• Woody1 on March 9, 2018 at 10:53 am

April Treeman? Hahaha! Nice try.

• April on March 12, 2018 at 9:17 am

Ummm, I don’t manage the Maryland Licensed Tree Expert list but they’re on there. I’m just saying you can’t claim they’re not experts if they’re on the expert list referenced in the article…

• Anonymous on March 15, 2018 at 10:53 am

NO they are not on the list.

• Treeman on March 10, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Thanks April! Your checks in the mail.

• Tophat on March 15, 2018 at 10:55 am

• Mike Mattingly on March 11, 2018 at 11:31 am

Agreed!!! The county zoning inspectors need to fine him and every other shady business that puts up their nasty signs along our roads and in our new traffic circles. Enough is enough!

• The Shadow on March 12, 2018 at 9:10 pm

I understand however if Treeman signs are on private property I believe they are legal.

It was funny though how another Tree Service in Hollywood copied and put signs in the median of 235/4 and by the Solomons Bridge which is in the state/county right of way which is a big no-no. How, childish can people be.

If you believe something is illegal call the County.

2. Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 4:10 pm

Well Somertyme Tree Service is my choice. I’ve seen first hand their expert work. I contacted them to remove two trees for me. The performed an exceptional job. They are licensed and insured up to two million dollars. How do you beat that?

• Joy Behar on March 12, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Suppose I have 3 million dollars worth of tree work? What will I fo? I’m so upset! Somebody help me please!

• yourself on March 12, 2018 at 9:30 pm

You do it yourself

• George Washington Cherry Tree Removal on March 13, 2018 at 6:46 am

That’s easy – three million.

3. Pippa on March 12, 2018 at 6:10 pm

It’s just trees. So what

• The Lorax on March 13, 2018 at 9:17 am

I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. Treeman litters our landscape with his unsightly sign advertising, promoting using a chainsaw on the trees! Save our trees by removing these signs! A sign removed today, is a step towards restoring our scenic beauty and saving our trees! Please get involved in the Treeman sign removal project today! Thanks!

• Shoozy Whatsit on March 14, 2018 at 10:03 am

And I speak for the boots, because they have no tongues…..oh…

4. Tophat on March 14, 2018 at 6:53 am

Hey 8whatever treeman ,who on your team actually holds the LTE license? Are you currently insured because word is you may not be. As far as you littering with your signs ,keep putting them out and the litter clean-up will continue. For anyone that cares about our roadways call the state highways or county roads when you see them, he has been advised by both that he needs to stop this unlawful practice but he has no regard for the law.

5. Emerald Ash Borer on March 14, 2018 at 8:59 am

I must say, the wooden stakes Treeman uses to put up his signs are quite tasty! My girl, Betty the Bark Beetle loves them too!

6. HuskyMan on March 14, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Leave SheMan alone! He’s just trying to make a buck, plus, he keeps the sign people in business. Hahaha!!!!!