June 6, 2019
Paul Michael Hess, 40, of Charlotte Hall

Paul Michael Hess, 40, of Charlotte Hall

UPDATE 6/6/2019: St. Mary’s Circuit Judge Michael Stamm, sentenced Paul Michael Hess, 40, of Charlotte Hall, to 25 years in prison for sexually assaulting a female juvenile.

Hess sexually assaulted the 13-year-old girl from 2016 to 2018.

Upon release, Hess will be subjected to lifetime sexual offender supervision

9/28/2018: On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Patrol Deputies received information pertaining to a sexual offense involving a 13-year-old female and an adult male.

Based on the information received, the investigation was continued by detectives from the Criminal Investigations Division (CID) and Child Protective Services.

Investigation determined that Paul Michael Hess, 40, of Charlotte Hall, had sexually abused the juvenile female over a period of time.

Hess was arrested by the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday, September 27, 2018, and transported to the St. Mary’s County Detention and Rehabilitation Center in Leonardtown to await a bond review.

Hess was charged with the following:

• Sexual Abuse of a Minor – Continuing Course of Conduct
  • Second-Degree Rape
  • Second-Degree Assault.

Anyone with further information about this case is asked to contact Detective Cpl. Melissa Hulse at 301-475-4200, ext. *1996 or email Melissa.Hulse@stmarysmd.com.

Paul Michael Hess, 40, of Charlotte Hall

Paul Michael Hess, 40, of Charlotte Hall

68 Responses to Charlotte Hall Man Sentenced to 25 Years for Raping and Assaulting 13-Year-Old Girl

1. Anonymous on September 28, 2018 at 9:24 am

Typical,the face of your average pervert

• Malcolm X on September 28, 2018 at 11:42 am

He doesn’t look like the black guy that’s on here. What does a typical pervert look like? Go ahead and say it; we already know. Racist.

• Charles on September 28, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Oh shut up with the racist post crap. Drama queens I swear

• Malcolm X on September 29, 2018 at 10:26 am

Got it. When someone comments on a black criminal they are a racist. When they comment on a white criminal they are not. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Candace on October 1, 2018 at 8:11 am

More blacks comment crimes then whites lack of poor role models, mostly in the inner city, Democratic run cities. Becuase the Democrats put less work programs and more free handout program. Liquor stores on every corner high tax in those inner cities where the young black men can’t afford to start a real black own business to help their community so they turn to a life of crime selling drugs and guns’ the drug & guns that the Deep Democratic party ships in.

• Candace reply on June 6, 2019 at 9:21 pm

* than not then

typical republican response…always blame someone else rather than take responsibility for your own actions.

• Domestic Diva on June 6, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Why do you have to go there? This wasn’t a race thing. This was a horrific crime and you are making it a black/white thing. Just stop.

• CLSLady on June 7, 2019 at 8:26 am

It’s what they do.. they can take any crime and make it all about them. Forget the girl who was assaulted, forget the crime committed, it’s about who is black or not black. They disgust me as a human being cause they’re selfish, ignorant asses!

• Anonymous on September 28, 2018 at 1:12 pm

OH please, your people only nake up about 13% but are responsible for over half (thats over 50% idiot) of all violent crimes in this county. GTFO

• Hmmm on September 28, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Yet folks that look like you make up 85% of predators.

• Malcolm X on September 29, 2018 at 10:30 am

Thanks for making the point! You do know there are a lot more white people in America right? So basically you just made the point that blacks commit more crimes but make up a fraction of the population. And, according to the DOJ, sex crimes are committed by race as follows. 57% white, 27% black, 8% unknown, 6% other and 1% mixed. Way to go idiot.

• Anyone claiming the name Malcom X - already has race issues on June 7, 2019 at 7:40 am

Uhhh – better get your stats from a more reliable source.

Looks like you have fallen prey to some fake news on steroids!

I couldn’t care LESS what skin color a criminal is wearing.

But you are quoting bogus stats.

• Truthteller on June 7, 2019 at 11:13 am

Sorry buddy. Stats are feom the Department of Justice. Get over it. Its public info. Sorry but its 100% true. Check it for yourself!!!

• Truthteller on June 7, 2019 at 11:15 am

These bogus stats are feom the most reliable souece there is, the department of justice. Look it up yourself. Its sad but true. Very sad, and pathetic, but its just the facts.

• Joey’s Nightmare on September 29, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Really? You should check out all the fine “teachers” that PG county hires that turn out to be predators.

• 3M on September 30, 2018 at 3:12 pm

@ Joeys nightmare:Its interesting you chose to point out PG County. Have you been watching news the past year….what about Charles County teachers and their sexual assault charges involving students? This has been issue in many schools and counties in our areas. So let’s speak on the issue as a whole….who let in close proximity to our children and the fact alot of “people” in the public school system have access to our children that shouldn’t. Let’s think about the victims – someone’s child. That’s what you need to really think about here. Think before you speak

• Joey’s Nightmare on October 2, 2018 at 4:57 am

Uhhh, I did think before posting. Not sure what your point is other than the fact you added another county to the argument so thanks?

• Facts on June 7, 2019 at 8:14 am

Actually those are statistics from the Department of justice. Deal with it.

• The Media on June 6, 2019 at 12:09 pm

May be, however it’s still likely he knows whom his daddy is, eh?

• Anonymous on June 8, 2019 at 4:28 am

He’s probably the reason why he turned out to be a predator. Generational norm in southern Maryland.

• Anonymous on June 10, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Ignorant ass

• The Media on June 11, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Yes agreed, what with all the mutants moving into the area.

2. Anonymous on September 28, 2018 at 10:10 am

Too bad all pedophiles and rapists get put in protective custody.

• Adam 12 on September 30, 2018 at 8:11 am

Not true.

• Anonymous on June 7, 2019 at 11:58 am

Stfu if you dont know what youre speaking of, idiot.

3. Anonymous on September 28, 2018 at 10:30 am

Sick individual

4. Me on September 28, 2018 at 10:47 am

Ewwww! Just disgusting! Guess he figured this was the only way he was going to get any sex at all! No woman (or man) in their right mind would want this!

5. Rob Stark on September 28, 2018 at 11:04 am

Just put him in general population with a sign that reads child raper. Bet he won’t last a day

• Bubba on September 28, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Que the ‘Bubba comments in 3…2…1…

• Manuel from Barcelona on September 29, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Que?

• Hangman on June 6, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Actually nothing really happens to them, prisons are filled with shi#bags that rape each other. It’s just wishful thinking, the actual solution is to kill them.

6. J on September 28, 2018 at 2:41 pm

One of the absolute nicest guys in the world. Would give you the shirt off his back. His family is so loving and kind…. I know they are devastated at this news. He was an absolute genius and had all the potential the world, why he never used it…. well I guess that was just Paul. I dont understand what possessed him to do this, I dont know why. I just know he let a lot of friends down when they read this news. I know they feel sorry for the family. I know they pray for both.

• Anonymous on September 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Gross. he raped a child and you’re glorifying him. People need to pray for YOU

• Good2BMe on September 28, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Hey J, I know him too. How about the devastation of the victim, the girl who was taken advantage of. If he was so smart and a “genius” why was he arrested? I am far from a genius but I know what he did was wrong, and he should suffer the consequences.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 10:25 pm

The fact that you would read about how he raped and assaulted a 13 year old girl and then comment on how good of a guy he is is honestly sickening. He’s not one of the nicest guys in the world. He’s a rapist and a pedophile.

• Really? on June 6, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Exactly. I don’t care how ‘nice’ he was, he is a POS predator, and I hope he serves not one minute less of those 25 years. His victim will be facing years of anguish, self esteem issues, and who knows what else over this. But yeah, this guy is a real ‘prince’

• CLSLady on June 7, 2019 at 8:36 am

In your defense, I see where you are coming from. To people who knew him are shocked and can’t fathom the idea as he was a nice guy but he clearly had everyone fooled. Hard to imagine that a person you thought you knew, seemed like a nice guy, who was smart, wasn’t that person at all. I’ve been fooled by many as well… I’m sorry for his friends and family that he fooled all and something is terribly wrong mentally with him.

7. Q on September 28, 2018 at 8:33 pm

By family, I hope you mean the family of the girl he manipulated into having sex with him. 40-13…. do the math. BTW… I knew him too…

8. Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 12:40 am

Hey, I don’t know if any of you will believe me, but I am the victim… And I want to thank anybody who has given their support for me and my family. Nobody would have ever guessed that Paul would do such a devastating thing to me, but I would like to thank every person that has a care in the world for someone who is simply a stranger to them, cause I could use all the support I could get. Like I said, thank you all! It’s been a rough time for me… but now that he’s in custody I know I can live my life to the best of it’s abilities.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 11:20 am

Bless you! I hope you truly know that this was in no way your fault. Use your family and friends as support. Don’t be afraid to see a therapist, if you need it. Hugs!!

• ITSNOTALLABOUTYOU on June 7, 2019 at 10:51 am

Oh Honey how horrible. Pray you continue to grow. Sadly its not your fault.

• Father Angus Murphy on June 11, 2019 at 9:00 pm

God bless you child. What you have had to endure is horrible. I can’t even begin to imagine. I don’t know you, but I can tell by you having the courage to reach out and comment on here and the sheer grace to thank everyone for their support, that you have a VERY strong spirit. That kinda spirit doesn’t come along every day,they are special (as you yourself are) and it is the type that not only enables ya to live your life to the best of your abilities, but to do so far BEYOND your own abilities. You’re gonna be alright sweety, a spirit like yours can only overcome and succeed. I think you’re gonna be one that helps others.
      I wish recovery, peace, and happiness for you and your family.
      God bless.

9. G on September 29, 2018 at 1:42 am

I used to run a lawn crew at the
    Company he worked for.always thought he was strange.never thought he’d do something sick like this..He wont last long in prison.also..he worked for wintergreen landscape maint.

10. Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 4:29 am

At least they didn’t wait to report him until he starts running for office.

• Ted Nugent on September 29, 2018 at 10:32 am

BOOM!

11. Jamesgang on September 29, 2018 at 8:22 am

How do you know he is guilty?

• Ted Nugent on September 29, 2018 at 10:33 am

Because he was accused. Aren’t you watching the news everyday.

12. Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 2:45 pm

People like this come from messed up families, If he has a brother hope they keep an eye on him, to keep this from happening to someone else. That is if he hasn’t already done the same. Praying the victim gets all the love and support she deserves, poor thing can’t even imagine how she feels.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Actually very good friends with the brother and his family is great. He was always odd and not surprised. I pray for the poor child and that she heals and is able to live a normal life. My heart hurts for her and her family.

• Anonymous on June 7, 2019 at 7:34 am

Oh BS.

13. Anonymous on September 29, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Praying the victim gets all the love and support she deserves, the road will be long. How can anyone do this to a poor innocent child, this man is a monster. People like this come from messed up families, If he has a brother hope the law keeps an eye on him. If he hasn’t already done the same, it’s just only a matter of time

14. McCoy on September 30, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Good a parent can raise good kids and bad kids. Bad parent have raise good kids and bad kids. I know his family and his brother. His family are good people and his brother and sister are good people. Paul was alway on the strange side. But none of use that knew him never once thought he could do such a thing. He keep it well hidden from all us that knew him. He turned out to be a manipulative monster. A predator that prays on children. I feel bad for the little girl and the family for what they have been put through. By this heinous act that has been committed by him. Every one that knew him got the shock of a life time when this came out. You know how many of us knew him and how many times he has been around some of are children. And we didn’t know what kind of monster he was. As far as I’m concerned he should rot in prison. This truly goes to show you that you can never really know someone…

15. Anonymous on October 1, 2018 at 7:55 am

If this is true he needs to be jailed for life, or castrated if they choose to release him, or executed. You can not cure people like him that willingly ruin a child’s life for their own sexual gratification.

• Anonymous on June 7, 2019 at 11:52 am

LOL you mad? The stats are facts. Look up the DOJ stats for yourself. Yeah it looks really bad for your people but its completely true. Im sorry. The stats arent racist because theyre 100% true facts. Accept it. Deal with it. Get over it. Only yall can change your people and the pattern. But dont call them bogus punk, because its 100% true.Department of Justice doesn’t lie. But youre just gonna say they’re “racist” too, am i right? Damn skippy i am. Our worst mistake was bringing yall people over here for slave labor. Imagine how much less crime we’d have if yall were still in africa. IK it sounds racist but fact is the crime rate would drastically be reduced if that were the case. This country would be so much safer, unfortunately. Nobody can point it out because the truth is so “racist”, but guess what, IDGAF. The truth hurts sometimes. Y’all destroy every area yall move to and leave here.

• Brian Mahoney on June 8, 2019 at 7:37 pm

You need to take your comments on the deep web. As a white male I am shocked you would even say something so stupid. I am really disgusted that SMSNEWSNET.com would let a comment like this be posted, Race has nothing to do with crime it’s upbringing and economic status. Poor single parent homes white and black have higher crime rates than economically stronger neighborhoods. PG county has neighborhoods that have zero crime rate and they are all black. The difference is the houses are 1M plus they are well educated and two parent homes. Is there more poor blacks in America yes it’s a fact and another fact is that’s changing every year. It’s not the skin color it’s the upbringing.

16. Concerned reader on October 1, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Why do the comments on this news source always have little to do with the actual story and always contain, must I say, juvenile at best, personal and political opinions of the story that are unrelated, usually, to the story itself? Astonishing… And it most certainly doesn’t show a very educated demographic in this part of the great state of Maryland…. Remember what all your mothers said… If you don’t have something nice to say, you always have the opportunity not to say anything at all.

• SMNews Net Rocks! on October 2, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Yet here you are commenting. Weird, but in America we have a right to decide which sites to go to and the ones we want to ignore. Like my mom said, if you don’t like it, go somewhere else.

• Whaaa Whaaa! on June 7, 2019 at 7:32 am

Lovin’ it!

How’s that for a full spectrum demographic sample?

whining little liberal bit@h!

17. Mikhalia on October 4, 2018 at 10:06 pm

If Trump’s hair ever flew away

• KarmaKing on June 6, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Making light of a situation so devastating, will end up having your own family cursed with the karma that evil will deliver to you as well.

18. Anonymous on June 6, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Damn. What a vicious attack on a young person. If luck has it, he will not survive prison for 25 years or half of the time on parole for that matter.

• Anonymous on June 7, 2019 at 7:35 pm

He wont have to for 25 years. He will be out 12, 13 tops.

• Just me on June 8, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Poetic justice if they don’t protect him and put him in solitary or protective custody they will kill him within a month. Prison inmates have a high moral standard for a lack of better words. Crimes against children woman or your mother and you have a target on your back. Unfortunately the prisons know this and it a lot of cases protect the molestor. I don’t agree with that. I think that’s what they deserve you take a kids innocence we take your life slow and painfully.

• Anonymous on June 10, 2019 at 7:44 am

No “they” won’t. This isn’t TV, this is reality.

19. CLS-Lady on June 7, 2019 at 8:41 am

Prayers to the family members of him and prayers for the victim and her family. I hope they find peace and will be able to move on from this devastation.

20. Brian Mahoney on June 8, 2019 at 7:22 pm

I can’t believe the comments that were made on this horrific story of abuse that robbed a 13 year old of her innocence. Anonymous comments about race and crime who cares! Prayers that this young lady finds peace and lives a somewhat normal life considering what this barbarian did. I don’t care white black purple pink whatever our children need to be protected, you want to debate crime statistics based on race go on a forum.

21. Jimmy on June 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm

Have soo much to say, please bear with me! This man commented a horrific act on a child, one that leaves more questions than answers. How could he do this? Why would he do this? How could this go on for so long? Could go on and on. From the outside we read articles, court docs etc. and never once think anyone associated with you would ever commit such a horrific act. Never once did I ever imagine one day I’d be face to face with the realities of such an event. That all changed last September when my brother Paul Hess was arrested, Since our family has focused on the victim, one who was brave enough to leave a comment on this page. My name is Jimmy Hess, last Sept changed our lives, want to be very clear supporting the victim is and will be our top priority, as his brother I’ve fought through many emotions. After a life time of loving my brother, immediately turned to hate, then consumed with shame when feeling love for him. Shame for thinking about Paul for one second after what he did. Reflecting on the last 3 years looking for something I’ve missed, for a sign of what was happening, filled with grief to what I could have done to keep this victim safe. Why, how, Over and over, all I’m left with are more and questions that will never be answered.

As a father of 2 boys, my hope is too show them we can only be responsible for our own actions. Even when family members commit horrific crimes like my brother, the victim along with our family will heal together. Will end with a response to the person who commented about me or my family excluding Paul in a negative manor.
    Thank you for reminding me how short sided some are

22. Anonymous on June 11, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Lets stop having appointed judges be the litmus test for elected judges. In other words, lets not have judges elected just because they were appointed.