VIDEO: Over 10 Animals Rescued From House Fire in Great Mills

October 9, 2018

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at approximately 11:00 a.m., firefighters from Bay District, NAS Patuxent River, Second District, and Solomons, responded to the 22200 Block of Valleyview Drive, in Great Mills, for the reported garage fire.

Crews arrived on scene to find a 2-story split-foyer residence with heavy smoke showing from the front of the house, with both occupants of the home outside.

Upon further investigation, firefighters found a fire in the garage with extensions to the walls, ceilings, and two vehicles. The fire is believed to be accidental with the cause being electrical. The fire was placed under control and extinguished after approximately 35 minutes.

Firefighters on scene rescued approximately 12 dogs from the residence, along with 3 adult dogs that were in the backyard at the time of the fire. Emergency medical services and multiple good samaritans provided oxygen, and administered CPR on multiple dogs.

Three dogs died on the scene, and two cats were seen running away from the scene, with one cat having severe burns and injuries.

One adult male, and one adult female made it out of the home safely, but both suffered smoke inhalation after trying to re-enter the residence to rescue the dogs still inside. Both patients refused medical attention and no other known injuries were reported.

St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, and Animal Control responded to the scene to assist.

Multiple neighbors and witnesses reported Animal Control being dispatched to the residence in the past.

Updates will be provided when they become available.




11 Responses to VIDEO: Over 10 Animals Rescued From House Fire in Great Mills

  1. Anonymous on October 9, 2018 at 9:59 pm

    Bet that house smelled lovely

    • Anonymous on October 10, 2018 at 11:04 pm

      This is clearly not the point of the article, a family’s house is now damaged because of a fire. I’m pretty sure the proper thing to say at this time is that your thoughts and prayers go out to the family not that you “bet that house smelled lovely”. Someone lost part of their home and they lost some of their animals in this fire. Now is not the time.

    • ms on October 14, 2018 at 9:37 am

      Not everyone that has animals has a smelly house! I had cats, dogs, chinchillas, ferrets, birds, fish and a mouse all at one time. No one knew i had animals unless they saw them. Stop judging!

      • NotMikeHewitt on October 15, 2018 at 7:40 am

        Gross…

      • Anonymous on October 15, 2018 at 5:03 pm

        Suuuure, they just didnt wanna embarrass you, and you couldnt smell it because you literally lived with it everyday, you cant even smell it because youre immune to it.

  2. Roger on October 10, 2018 at 4:59 am

    Because of the overgrown vegetation you can’t even find the front door to that puppy mill in the pictures.

  3. corn starch on October 10, 2018 at 11:18 am

    thank you first responders for all the great work and sacrifices you make every day to protect humans and animals
    you are the BEST!

    (and volunteers at that )!

  4. Bill on October 10, 2018 at 2:11 pm

    And this, kids, is why we dont buy dongs through Craigslist or Facebook for sale groups, it only encourages this sort of at-home puppy mill. Who wants to bet there are ads for those pups on one of those places already?

    • just kidding play responsibly on October 12, 2018 at 12:09 pm

      speak for yourself, i only ever buy my dongs on craigslist :)

    • ms on October 14, 2018 at 9:38 am

      How do you know it was a puppy mill? They may have been family pets. They looked well taken care of. Have some compassion for the lives lost and the feelings of the family that owned them.

  5. Suz on October 10, 2018 at 4:54 pm

    Since dogs are innocent victims, just like children. I’m thankful for everyone that helped to save them.