November 27, 2019

UPDATE 11/27/2019:  State’s Attorney for Charles County, Tony Covington released a video about the case where Skyla Shirriel, a 7-year-old, T.C. Martin Elementary School first-grader was hit by a vehicle as she exited her school bus in November of 2018.

Covington called some of the news reports about the case to have been “woefully inaccurate”.

Covington calls for more serious penalties for drivers who fail to stop for school buses.

Below is the list that Covington makes reference to in the video.

Charles County Delegation:

Del. Edith J. Patterson (D), District 28
‪(410) 841-3247‬, ‪(301) 858-3247‬
email: edith.patterson@house.state.md.us

Del. C. T. Wilson (D), District 28
‪(410) 841-3325‬, ‪(301) 858-3325‬
email: ct.wilson@house.state.md.us

UPDATE 1/2/2019: Skyla Shirriel, the 7-year-old, T.C. Martin Elementary School first-grader who was hit by a vehicle as she exited her school bus in November, is making terrific progress.

She is able to walk with assistance and could read the names of her classmates on a gift she received from them.

UPDATE: On Tuesday, November 27 at 3:45 p.m., a Charles County Public School bus was stopped in the northbound lane of Oliver Shop Road near Trotter Road in Bryantown, discharging a 7-year-old female student.

According to witnesses, the bus had activated its flashing red lights and flashing stop sign. The girl safely crossed in front of the bus and was crossing the southbound lanes when she was struck by a Ford F-250 being operated by a 35-year-old woman. The driver of the truck remained on the scene and the child was flown to Children’s Hospital with critical injuries.

Members of the Charles County Sheriff’s Office, Traffic Operations Unit responded and are investigating the crash.

Charges are pending the outcome of the investigation.

11/27/2018: On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, at approximately 4:00 p.m., a 6-year-old child was struck by a vehicle after exiting a school bus on Oliver Shop Road, in Charles County.

The child was treated by Paramedics, and Maryland State Police, Trooper 2 helicopter was called to the scene.

Members of the Charles County Sheriff’s Office, Traffic Operations Unit are on scene of this crash.

The Sheriff’s Office released a statement saying they have no further information at this time about the investigation.

Authorities in Charles County posted on Facebook that Oliver Shop Road is currently closed from Trotter Road to Edelen Drive until further advised.

144 Responses to VIDEO UPDATE: State’s Attorney Releases Statement on Case Where a 7-Year-Child was Struck by a Vehicle After Exiting School Bus

1. Shawn on November 27, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Cars again. We need to put a stop to this.

• Shawn 2 on November 27, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Cars and knives.

• Shawn 3 on November 28, 2018 at 9:33 am

Cars, knives, and hammers.

• B.B on November 28, 2018 at 12:09 pm

Must we be a rush to go nowhere.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Now here!

• Char on November 28, 2018 at 9:25 am

Yes we do I have to stand in the road to get some of the vehicle to stop a few just road on through the red stop lights, then pull on side of the road.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Punctuation would make your comment actually readable.

• ??? on November 29, 2018 at 7:43 am

Do what now? Can we get a translator in here?

• Anonymous on November 30, 2018 at 2:48 pm

this was hard to read!

2. Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 5:33 pm

I think the schools need to be pro-active and no longer allow kids to cross the street while getting off the bus.

• Roger on November 27, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Oh I can’t wait to hear the explanation on this one.

• Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 8:21 pm

They cross the street after the get off the bus, not during. Even then, that presents a problem. If they live across the street, then how do they get to the other side? Do they just stay there and never go home?

• Jinkc ed y on November 27, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Bus goes to other side if road. It may take lo ger but it’s safer

• Anonymous on November 29, 2018 at 4:40 pm

allow bus to stop in the middle of the road maybe?

• AliceW on January 3, 2019 at 9:26 am

Nope, the people around here would then run over them on either side of the bus. Put an armed policeman on any bus that has a child that needs to cross the road to get home. The officer can stand in the road and signal the child when it is clear to cross, if required he can shoot out the tires on any car that fails to stop. Next time you are behind a bus watch when a child crosses the street. Nine out of ten will not look first, make an entry on SMCPS facebook page.

• Juliette on November 28, 2018 at 7:15 am

The bus stays stopped with lights and stop sign on until the child crosses the street. The car should have stopped period! These people flying by buses and ignoring them are the problem, not the bus route.

• Gail Spencer on November 28, 2018 at 9:07 am

For the elementary schools they need a bus assistant to help them cross the street.

• AliceW on November 28, 2018 at 3:49 pm

You are right, all you have to do is travel behind a few buses and you will see the students on the most part in this age group will not take responsibility for their own safety. They will pop out from the safety of the bus and cross the road without looking either way! The bus driver is powerless to do anything if visibility is poor or distractions.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Alice, your comment is ignorant as is usual. The responsibility is that of the drivers to obey the law, not of the children.

• for sure on December 3, 2019 at 9:34 am

Not take responsibility…REALLY???? they are little kids!!!! OMG…you are such a moron! I guess you were hatched at the adult age right?! The stupid drivers that are going through the red flashing lights are at fault…not these poor children! Yes, I believe in teaching your children to look both ways etc but you cannot POSSIBLY place blame on some child! AliceW…go back under your rock. You are a pathetic excuse of a human being!

• Roger on November 28, 2018 at 6:22 pm

I’m sure they would welcome your help if you were to volunteer.

• So tired of it on January 2, 2019 at 4:35 pm

I’ve read a lot of this comments but this is really one of the worst. These children are from five to 18. Yeah the older ones will probably take the time to look but not the younger ones. Now think about this. A child is getting off the bus and the parent or adult is on the other side of the road thinking well the bus has it lights on, the road is only posted 30 and some even 25. Parent looks up and down the road and tells the child it’s safe to cross the road. All of a sudden a car comes around the bend speeding doing 30-50 and can’t stop or is On their cell, or whatever their doing, and hits the child or children. Really blaming the child. Ugh I hope this wasn’t your child or grandchild or even a child you know. I agree the bus needs to drop off kids if they go right into their yard or sidewalk and never cross the road at all. They can do it I’ve seen where buses do, tgat. Not too hard and saves the life of a child. OR how about this, the bus takes a picture of your vehicle for not stopping and sends you a bill for $500. Maybe then people will stop their damn cars. This shouldn’t even of been a comment about children should look first. Smdh

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 9:45 am

The bus would drive the oppsite way they pick the kids up.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm

You mean backwards down the road?

• Fog Horn Leg Horn on November 29, 2018 at 7:25 am

I say, Way to use that head for something other than a hat rack. Now stop posting…before you hurt yourself, son.

• Douglas L Kincaid on November 27, 2018 at 9:48 pm

In the 1940’s and 50’s the bus driver escorted the students across the highway after they got off the bus. Due to the behavior of the students and their lack of respect for each other, this is no longer a viable method of protection for the students. The schools must hire aides to escort the students across the roads since the bus driver must remain on the bus at all times.

• Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Why can’t drivers just obey the law? So if the schools hire aides then it will be a child and an aide getting hit???

• DK on November 28, 2018 at 9:50 am

No. The aide will ensure it is safe to cross, ie. Cars have stopped or none are coming. Don’t be obtuse. Children are in a rush to get off the bus and get home. An aide will slow them down and ensure their safety.

• Safety Don't Sleep on November 28, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Two people would be hit then. Why do you think we have the slow down to get around and the move over laws? Adults with high-viz clothing and vehicles with flashing lights and people just fly by not giving it a second thought. Bottom line is people just can’t focus on the primary task of driving and are in too much of a hurry to get nowhere. I say deploy stop sticks with the arm on the bus and fine them 10K.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Who will pay for this?

• Jackie on November 29, 2018 at 12:07 pm

People are just stupid. The cars will go around even with an adult there. I was almost hit by a car getting off a STS bus once. I was behind the bus, obviously going to cross the street and the car waiting decided it was a good time to go around the bus, with me crossing the street. Missed me a foot. This was a residential street and there was no other traffic.

3. BooBerry on November 27, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Drunk? Bets anyone?

• Pay Me Boo Berry on November 28, 2018 at 8:35 am

I’ll take that one. I bet it was impatience.

• It's Me on November 28, 2018 at 4:05 pm

…and I’ll bet it was inattention to driving.

• DL on December 6, 2019 at 6:58 am

And I’m betting a cell phone was involved!

4. Marian Taylor on November 27, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Prayers for the family.

5. Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Prayers to this little fella. My question is WHY WAS THE CAR NOT STOPPED IF THE DOORS YO THE BUS WERE OPEN FOR HIM TO GET OFF!!!!! PEOPLE NEED TO WATCH FOR BUSES AND FOLLOW THE LAW!

• Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 7:51 pm

A little girl

• Cap'n Obvious on November 28, 2018 at 9:46 am

To answer your question:
      THE PICKUP WASN’T STOPPED BECAUSE IT HAD NOT YET REACHED THE STOPPED BUS WHEN THE LITTLE GIRL HAD STARTED TO EXIT!!!! THE DRIVER WAS OBVIOUSLY NOT PAYING FULL ATTENTION TO DRIVING AS IT APPROACHED THE STOP SCHOOL BUS, THUS FAILING TO FOLLOW THE LAW!

Are you caught up now?

My heart breaks for this little girl and her family.

Parents, practice safely crossing the road with your children…until it becomes an uncontrolled habit to look both ways before crossing.

• Stop Yelling on November 28, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Your caps button is stuck.

• Cap'n Obvious on November 29, 2018 at 7:29 am

A bit slow on the uptake, aren’t cha…(SMH)

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:09 pm

The woman drove PASSED the STOPPED bus with its STOP SIGN out. I saw her. She was also speeding.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 11:24 am

at the same time, why did the bus driver let the kid get off the bus if they saw an on coming car.

• Anony on November 29, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Why is a Bus Driver not omniscient, hmm let me think on that one….

6. Bebop on November 27, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Take her license and crush her vehicle.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 12:20 am

7. Coyote on November 27, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Maybe School buses should start straddling the middle of the road, when picking up and discharging students, so vehicles can’t go around them.

• Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 9:58 pm

I like this idea.

• William on November 28, 2018 at 9:11 am

I think buses should be fitted with a ticket camera set up.

• Roger on November 30, 2018 at 5:26 am

You mean ALL busses? Some already have red light cameras.

• Mike on November 27, 2018 at 10:07 pm

When I drove, I did that. However it is against the law. If the bus got hit the bus driver gets charged.

• Really on November 28, 2018 at 6:29 am

Change the law.

• Really on November 28, 2018 at 6:31 am

Drivers need to do everything and anything to keep the kids safe. Lawyers need to step up and defend these drivers who protect the kids. Change the law.

• Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 11:22 pm

Some buses are actually doing this and really don’t care if it is illegal or not!

• Candy on November 28, 2018 at 8:38 am

I’ve seen a few videos of busses that will stop at an angle enough so that no vehicle could pass the pass due to the bus blocking the other lane.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 10:51 am

Unfortunately it’s against the law to block the road.

• Anony on November 29, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Unfortunately it’s also against the law: to Speed, to run a Stop sign, drive impaired, use your high beams, make a right turn on red without stopping, not use your turn signals and many more driving infractions. If Officers used “Reckless Driving” as the subjective charge it is, like they do with “Disorderly Conduct” there could be at least 5000 citation written everyday in Charles County let alone 50000 in Prince Georges County. But then the ACLU would stand-up and fight the wrong fight, as per typical of bona fide, “Community Organizations,” that have forgotten the original intent.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 1:01 pm

The only difference in this situation would be that the idiot not paying attention would have plowed into the bus or even worse pinned the kid in-between the bus and the truck. That bus was stopped for minutes, not seconds, before this lady thoughtlessly decided to pay attention to something other than driving.

• Justme on November 29, 2018 at 8:31 am

A bus driver friend tried that in Calvert County about 3 years ago and Dept. of Transportation director yelled at her! That’s nothing new though….

• for sure on December 3, 2019 at 9:40 am

Your exactly right!!!! they sure did but I did not blame this driver because when I was driving I would try to do the same thing. Luckily, my route was on the roads that are not as busy as what the other bus driver was on. Do what you have to do is what I say to make sure these children are safe!

• Anonymous on January 5, 2019 at 10:12 am

The buses used to do this but for some reason they stopped. I have seen some buses do it, but just a few. I wonder why they stopped?

8. Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 7:48 pm

I see cars passing stopped buses all the time in Charles Co.! Time for the Sheriff’s Dept to start ticketing these idiots and taking their licenses away! Vehicular homicide/attempted murder as far as I am concerned!!

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 7:13 am

I totally agree

• Adam 12 on November 28, 2018 at 8:33 am

They will if someone reports them which I am sure you did “all the time.” Right?

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:46 am

Its the judges that keep giving probation instead of jail time to these crazy drivers,why should drivers and criminals change their behavior if there is never consequences?

• Anony on November 29, 2018 at 2:44 pm

When do start calling the Sheriff’s and show them your recorded evidence of such incidences. I know it’s such an inconvenience to do the right thing.

9. Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 8:00 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the child’s parents! My sister was hit by a step van that passed her school bus on the left as she was crossing the road. She was in Shock/Trauma for over a month before we lost her. There is NO acceptable reason for passing a school bus whether it is discharhing children or not. School bus stops, you STOP!!! And, STOP within the required distance!! I don’t know why school systems allow children to cross roads! They should only discharge to the right, and block any possible access for a vehicle to pass them on the right. I pray this child makes it!

10. Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 8:04 pm

I’m glad it wasn’t my daughter because boy I can tell you…….

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 9:52 am

I’m glad it wasn’t my boy because daughter I can tell you…….

• Anonymous on November 27, 2019 at 12:49 pm

I’m glad it wasn’t my tell you because boy I can daughter…….

11. Nick on November 27, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Take away her license, send her to driver’s education, lock her ass up for a few years, and then send her on speaking tours (and not pay her) to explain WHY she hit a child that had just gotten off of a school bus!

No excuses for passing a stopped bus.

I hope the little girl makes a full recovery. My thoughts with the family.

Another note-schools could help stop or at least curb the problem if the got extended arms to go completely across the next lane.

• Editor on November 28, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Awwwwww!!! He said ass!

12. Sarah Smirh on November 27, 2018 at 8:18 pm

The bus driver for my grandkids wanted to let my kids off the bus and they were to cross the road. I told the driver that was not safe. He could just as easy stop at my drive and let the kids off. I stated that if he insist that the kids would have to cross the road, I would be at the bus stop to ensure their safety in crossing.

13. Stephanie on November 27, 2018 at 9:37 pm

The bus driver should have never allowed the child to exit the bus until all traffic was at a complete stop. Prayers for the child.

• Anonymous on November 27, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Really? It clearly states that the child had already exited the bus and safely crossed the front of the bus when the vehicle passed jt.

14. Dumbfounded on November 27, 2018 at 11:17 pm

This is NOT the bus drivers fault. There is an overwhelming amount of ignorant drivers on the roads. I think the idea of straddling the lane is a step in the right direction. And an assistant to walk to students across the street. It’s not le a sheriff can follow every bus, every day. Prayers for that little girl and her family, and the other students who witnessed it.

• Adam 12 on November 28, 2018 at 8:35 am

The sheriff’s office doesn’t have enough people now. Where are you magically going to get the hundreds of officers that this idea will need?

• Anonymous on November 27, 2019 at 5:50 pm

You know, I don’t know about officers but they might be able to make it some kind of voluntary credit or incentive for high school students, only available to those who meet certain criteria.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 10:37 am

What’s needed is an arm and catapult device, activated from the roof of the bus. It could sling children to safety when going into their home or extend a long telescoping “boom” sporting a cherry picker “basket” to pick them up.

This will suffice until Scotty gets the transporter repaired. Then we will just beam them to/from school. Don’t be scared. The future is on its way.

15. cheryl petro on November 28, 2018 at 12:17 am

Not acceptable at any time. Buses should be equipped flashing lites, front and rear also on the arms that extend out from bus. So what if it costs– better that than having a child hit. I read where one mother complained to police about passing cars. They proceeded to assign officers at the intersection just up from bus. Every car that passed the bus while it was stopped., got pulled over and ticketed.

• Just a dude that stops for school buses on November 28, 2018 at 4:13 pm

“…Buses should be equipped flashing lites, front and rear also on the arms that extend out from bus. So what if it costs–…”

Uhmmm, not sure where you live, Cheryl petro, but here in Maryland all busses do have flashing lights front and rear and on the stop sign arm that extends out from the side of the bus.

• Roger on November 28, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Did you read what you posted?

• ? on November 29, 2018 at 3:03 pm

I dont think Cheryl has seen a school bus since 1947

• Anonymous on December 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Right they need to read what they posted buses already have flashing lights in the front and rear

• Mr. Observant on November 29, 2018 at 7:35 am

“…Buses should be equipped flashing lites, front and rear also on the arms that extend out from bus.”

Uhmm, they already are. Where have you been for the last 20 years?

16. Bwdesmo on November 28, 2018 at 5:45 am

Seeing more buses cross diagonal to stop in the middle of the road, I like that idea, they should all start doing that

17. tenizfreak on November 28, 2018 at 5:52 am

Unfortunately, it’s going to have to be on the shoulders of the school districts and/or bus drivers to make it safe for children existing buses. No matter how much ticketing, etc. occurs, these drivers aren’t going to change. I see so much distracted driving every day that it’s a wonder anyone gets anywhere safely. Change the law, regulations, procedures, school arrival and departure times, or whatever to:
    1) allow bus drivers to straddle lanes when discharging students; and
    2) ensure that all vehicles are completely stopped in and around the bus before opening the door and allowing children to exit the bus.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 5:40 pm

You are right! Humans WILL NOT change. Ever. 3 kids were killed in Indiana before Thanksgiving getting off their bus. Did it stop more tragedy, no! Texting while driving can lead to this. Don’t count on people listening. Drop the kids off on the side of the road where the house is. Don’t complain about time. If it takes an extra hour to get home, at least your home.

18. Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 6:07 am

Maybe, just maybe put down the cell phone while you’re driving. I know some of the kids that were on this bus. Lady who was driving the truck was on her cell at the time of the accident. Throw the book at her.

19. Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 7:02 am

The county needs to put dash cams on buses and give out picture tickets just like stop signals

20. WheelsOnDaBus on November 28, 2018 at 7:38 am

I think having an aide on at least every elementary school bus is a great idea. Bus stops, aide gets off & accompanies the child on the bus in the morning & escorts them off the bus in the afternoon. Yes, it means spending more money but isn’t that what all these casinos are for? The education of our children? Hard to educate them if they aren’t alive. Where the hell is all that gambling money going anyway? Anyone see marked improvements in the state school system? One more thing that grinds my gears. Seat belts on buses. All the kids are sitting, if they are sitting as they are supposed to,unsecured on the bus. The bus driver is required by law to wear a seat belt but not the kids? Seat belts on buses would have a two fold effect. First, the obvious one is safer transportation for the students. Secondly, it forces the kids to stay seated & not jumping all around on the bus, standing in the aisles, etc. which for a driver transporting a busload of screaming kids is a huge deal. Admit it bus contractors, this is nothing more than a money/greed issue. This needed to be addressed years ago.

• Cathy on November 28, 2018 at 5:44 pm

You are absolutely correct, if you can give me a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, then why is it that 30 to 40 kids on a school bus have them to, kids life matters to.

• Anony on November 29, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Because it cost money. It has been proven for 40 years that there is fewer fatalities on buses than any form of transportation other than flying. The whole rectangular part of the bus is a safety cage for all of the child, retrofitting buses with belts could drastically change the structural integrity that has been designed into that safety cage as it is now. Now if people like Obama and Trump gave money to this instead of everything else it could happen but instead of bailing out Education and Taxpayers at or below Middle income they’ve given away tens of Billions to everything else.

• Roger on November 29, 2018 at 4:02 pm

What if the bus flips into a body of water? Or a fire breaks out? Now the bus driver has to worry about 30-40 kids getting unbuckled to get out safely. Think.

21. Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:00 am

School busses need to be fitted with Dvr enabled exterior cameras that the driver turns on when they have passengers, front, back and sides. Part of the problem is that people do this, nothing happens and they get away with it and and then keep doing it. It should be a guaranteed penalty with escalating penalties and possible county jail time once that stop sign is engaged. At the end of their shift, if nothing happens, all good. If something does, take it to the police to download the file and they can be dealt with by a trooper on their shift with video evidence. Or set the system up so the footage can be downloaded to an encrypted thumb drive to turn over the the police at the end of their route. It’s the same reason photo enforced speed zones in front of schools work.

22. AliciaDC on November 28, 2018 at 8:10 am

I have a daycare center in calvert county. The kids have to cross the street to get on and off the bus. I walk with them across the road. I don’t let the kids cross until I say it’s safe. Even with the stop sign and flashing lights, I don’t trust drivers to pay attention. It’s a shame. Hope this little girl is okay.

23. Retired Bus Driver on November 28, 2018 at 8:45 am

I am a retired school bus driver gor PGCo. It happens all the time, people do not care, our system dont do anything to those who break yhe law, so they wont an dont stop. I would suspend driver. Licence for 1 year, first offence! Then caught again take for 5 yrs, an 3rd offence revoke! Its crazy how many sick, selfish adults are out there.

24. Sargent Obvious on November 28, 2018 at 9:38 am

If there were no parent or guardian to ensure she made it across the road safely, it’s no stretch to believe there were no parent or guardian to let her into the home either.

Leaving a 6 year old unattended used to be child neglect, did that change?

I’m anxious to hear the rest of the story.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Who said a parent wasn’t there? You should take your presumptions elsewhere.

• Major Inference on November 29, 2018 at 9:41 am

I’ve read several accounts of the incident and not one mentions a parent or guardian being there. You seem awfully defensive, did I strike a nerve?

• Assuming makes an ASS out of you on November 28, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Her father was actually watching her cross. It happens very fast. The woman passed several cars and the stopped bus before hitting the little girl. The lady is foreign and claims she didn’t know better.

25. glowrn on November 28, 2018 at 10:04 am

What part of FLASHING LIGHTS and stopped BIG YELLOW BUS do drivers NOT understand?

26. Helen on November 28, 2018 at 10:31 am

No child should be crossing infront of the bus. The bus should be letting the child off on the right side.

• JJ Hardy on November 28, 2018 at 6:28 pm

???? This makes no sense. Please try again.

• Anonymous on November 28, 2018 at 8:35 pm

You mean the correct side the child lives on.

• AliceW on December 1, 2018 at 8:16 pm

That would require a round trip for the bus or a new bus route to drop the kids of on the same side of the street they live on. The other thing would be to have similar trucks to park crossways on the road while the kid crosses the street. You can’t have the bus driver get off the bus because the ones on the bus may take control of the bus. Maybe have off duty police moonlight on the buses that have children that need to cross the street. They could get off the bus to insure safe passage for the kid. Next time you are behind a school bus watch the kids that get off 90% will not look either way. The other day I stopped for an approaching school bus where the student had to cross. She was “styling” as she slithered cross the road to the point the cars behind the bus were blowing their horns. Fix that problem.

27. research on November 28, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Put the PHONE DOWN…Likes, Posts and Messages aren’t worth it…

• It' Me Again on November 28, 2018 at 4:21 pm

…And it will all still be ‘on the phone’ when they get to their destination!

I heard a great idea posed over the radio this AM. All cell phones have a non-removable app that disables it’s use when movement above XXmph is detected. I think 10mph oughta do it.

• Anonymous on November 29, 2018 at 7:39 am

…And everything on the phone WILL STILL BE ON THE PHONE when you get to your destination!

28. Johnny on November 28, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I guess the buses now need to block both lines parallel in both direction

to keep children safe .

29. April on November 29, 2018 at 12:43 am

Praying for the injured children & praying for the parents of the injured kids…
    The school zones need to have more police & officers need to stop traffic& let the kids out 1st..These children are small & hard to see if you’re in a truck SUV ETC

30. Papa Rent on November 29, 2018 at 6:16 am

Responsibility does not belong to the schools.
    Drivers must obey traffic laws and stop. It’s as much a community issue as a legal one. Penalties should be swift and severe.
    According to everything I’ve ever seen coming out of the local public schools, a child’s care becomes the school system’s responsibility only once that child sets foot on the bus, until the end of the day when the child steps off the bus. Outside of that the child is the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility; from home to the bus stop, at the bus stop, crossing the street to board the bus, and the reverse. If the parents can’t do it themselves, it is still their responsibility to locate a trusted designee who can, on their behalf. Just so we’re clear, “child” in Maryland runs right up to adulthood. The law now says no dropping out before age 18.
    Bus drivers, thank you for all the extra care and attention that you do provide.
    Kids, look both ways before you cross the street. The traffic laws were written to protect you, the school system wants you to stay safe, your parents love you, but that car is coming faster than you can run, outweighs you a good thirty times over, and is made from hard stuff. It can hurt you.

31. Ben Matlock on November 29, 2018 at 8:02 am

Everyone screaming for more laws and yet the judges do not enforce the ones we have. You cannot legislate common sense.

32. -=- on November 29, 2018 at 3:09 pm

I cant even get through all the comments. You folks are killing me. Its illegal to pass a school bus when kids are getting on/off. Yet, people suggest we need new laws/rules/regulations to help with this problem, as if to say, the current laws on the books must just not be good enough, so we need more. Think about that. We need new laws on the books for preventing things that are already illegal… Why doesnt anyone ever suggest we need more laws against murder when someone commits a murder?

• EIC on November 30, 2018 at 5:31 am

Because most of these posts are coming from people who aren’t thinking, just reacting off of emotion. You should really go back and read them all if you can. Poor grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation, but it’s a hoot to see the mess.

33. BJ Rich on November 29, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Had there been any updates? I’m praying the child has a speedy recovery. I heard the driver was detained not sure the fact and if that meant arrested or for questioning. .

34. Matt on November 30, 2018 at 1:42 am

I just looked up where this took place and am pretty sure I know what happened. And I preface this by saying I’m not justifying her actions or defending her.
    The house this girl lives at is right after that road that runs behind the Bryantown store (not sure if it’s still called Bryantown Mall?) meets Oliver’s Shop Road.
    Anyway, I’m ASSUMING, based on what’s been reported, that this woman was turning right onto OSR from that back road. I’m guessing she was focused on looking for oncoming traffic to her left before/while turning right onto OSR. Maybe she was on that backroad trying to get ahead of people on Rt 5 who may have also been turning onto OSR?
    Either way, not only would she have been on a slight incline at that stop sign but she may have also been trying to make that right turn ahead of traffic coming from Rt 5 and most likely got into the accelerator a bit aggressively.
    This house looks to only be 30 yards or so from where she might’ve turned onto OSR.
    If my theory is correct, or close to it, not only is it somewhat understandable that she didn’t see the bus until it was too late but it also means she may not have been in that immediate area when the bus driver began her stop and the kids (there were three other little boys also getting off here) began exiting the bus and crossing the road.
    Again, I don’t mean to defend her. Hell, I know I’m guilty of only looking at the oncoming traffic sometimes when I turn onto a road I’m not crossing and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

• Anony on December 4, 2018 at 10:11 am

I’m pretty sure the sun may have been a factor as well as the many school buses lined-up on Oliver Shop waiting to get on Route 5, both in-front and behind the bus the child exited from.

• Anonymous on January 2, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Except the lady came from behind the bus, passed another bus (with lights flashing and stop sign out) and hit this little girl. The driver of that truck was impatient as drivers often get when getting to the end of Oliver Shop Road. I’ve been on that back road waiting to turn right onto Oliver Shop and I couldn’t because people were passing on the left side in the wrong lane to turn onto the back road. Traffic gets backed up at the light and people can’t wait just a couple minutes to turn. It’s ridiculous.

• Freddy Mac on January 4, 2019 at 12:31 pm

I’m sure you have some connection to the driver who senselessly struck her. Bottom line, at that time of day (~3:45pm) with the multiple buses on the road (especially Oliver Shop Rd.), your responsibility as a driver and your “radar” should naturally be up to stay alert and vigilant for children. At the end of the day, the driver is 100% at fault for this and will face felony charges.

This was 100% avoidable on the driver’s end. Skyla almost lost her life because, “the sun was in her eyes, and the traffic was congested with buses” – you have got to be kidding me.

Have you ever rear-ended someone in the State of MD? No matter what excuse you have, you’re 100% at fault with insurance companies and the police. Period.

Stop defending the pick-up truck driver, and reaching for excuses, it’s sickening and utterly shallow.

35. Roy on November 30, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Years ago, there used to be Crossing Guards on the school buses. The Crossing Guards were students trained in how to safely escort kids to and from the bus. When this was in place, we never had problems that I have ever heard of. Over the years this was removed. Now we are back to the same problems and looking for solutions before they came up with the Crossing Guard ideas over 30 years ago in PG County. Worked there, it work in Charles County and other locations.

36. Starr on December 2, 2018 at 9:12 pm

God bless this little angel. My prayers are with her and her family.

37. DK on December 4, 2018 at 9:12 am

Any updates? How is the little girl? Who was the driver and was she charged?

38. Esoc on December 4, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Prayers to the little girl and her family.

Once a truck tried to pass my stopped bus with lights on the right hand side (yeah, the side of the road). The bus driver had fast reflexes and slammed the door shut before we could step out and get hit. This was many years ago (thank you Mr. Goddard), so people have been driving stupidly for a long time.

39. Anonymous #13 on January 2, 2019 at 1:30 pm

The driver who hit the child is not identified. Put her name out there, please. Was she texting, drunk or speeding?

40. Papa Bear on January 2, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Thoughts and prayers as you continue to heal.

Papa Bear

41. Freddy Mac on January 4, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Skyla is such a fighter – amazing!

Separately, I find it interesting that the Charles County Sheriff Dept hasn’t released ANY information on the investigation, the driver who struck Skyla…literally nothing at all.

Other similar incidents, the driver would have already had his/her initial court hearing and the charges released to the public.

For example, the woman in Rochester, Indiana – struck and killed 3 siblings crossing for their school bus on 30 October 2018, and she had a court hearing with charges pressed against her on 14/15 November.

Just wondering why it may be taking so long? It’s been pretty clear from the jump that she ran the bus stopped with its lights on, stop sign and arm extended.

SMNEWSNET.COM:
    The name has not been released because she has not been formally charged yet.

In serious motor vehicle accidents most police won’t charge a suspect until an exhaustive investigation is completed. Often that includes a full accident reconstruction and laboratory blood and toxicology tests.

Investigators want to have all details of the case meticulously documented before filing charges because the legal principal of double-jeopardy does not allow them a second chance to get it right if mistakes are made.

• Freddy Mac on January 4, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Thank you for the informative response, SMNEWSNET…really appreciate the insight!

42. Anonymous on November 27, 2019 at 10:46 am

THE PROBLEM IS THE JUDGE GAVE PBJ INSTEAD OF JAIL SO DONT EXPECT THESE INSANE DRIVERS TO STOP THEIR BEHAVIOR.THIS JUST MAKES THE PROBLEM WORSE.WHEN IS CHARLES COUNTY GOING TO CRACK DOWN AND STOP THIS CRIME?

43. Willie on November 27, 2019 at 11:06 am

Running from the police is also a traffic violation. And I have driven on Oliver Shop Road, and I am willing to bet with the line of buses this woman did not see the lights on the school bus. With a line of buses there, how could she? That poor kid didn’t deserve this and the bus driver, in my opinion, has some culpability as well.

• Really? on November 30, 2019 at 12:41 pm

The child lives near the Bryantown light so there is no “line of buses”. The bus was stopped outside her house. Driver clearly turned at the light or the road behind Bryantown Store and hit her there. NO way you could miss the bus or the child, unless you aren’t paying attention. How she even picked up enough speed at that point is beyond me.

• Willie on December 3, 2019 at 4:25 pm

I beg to differ. Go there in the afternoon and look for yourself. There is a line of buses backed up from the light at Oliver Shop/Leonardtown Rd. And just how fast was she going?

44. NeedANEditor?? on November 27, 2019 at 11:50 am

“Covington calls for more serious penalties for drivers who fail to stop for school buses”

There should be more serious penalties for your editors when they post garbage like this:

“Xiomara Yan Nativi Quintanilla, 35, of Accokeek, was sentenced to Probation Before Judgement and a fined in the case.”

• Anonymous on November 29, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Don’t like it? Leave. Otherwise STFU. It’s a simple typo. Nobody’s perfect.

45. Anonymous on November 27, 2019 at 11:54 am

Flawed penalties have always been an issue in MD.
    There is no excuse for driving thru a school bus stop sign. It’s big and yellow and has flashing lights
    A PBJ. Really?
    Get ready for a civil case Xiomara.
    You may keep your freedom but you will never have another dollar in your pocket again!

• Anonymous on November 29, 2019 at 9:55 pm

That’s some wishful thinking, but not gonna happen. At best she’ll have one he of a insurance premium or just get dropped all together

46. Karen Showalter on November 27, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Why did the driver only get probation? Why did the State’s Attorney accept that? Couldn’t her license be revoked? Wasn’t her driving negigent reckless that resulting in life-threatening endangerment?

• Shocker on November 29, 2019 at 11:49 am

How about you worry about your “negigent” spelling before you worry about someone else. Moron.

47. Anonymous on November 28, 2019 at 12:03 pm

I’m really surprised that incidents like this don’t happen more frequently in Saint Mary’s County. Those selfish idiots always try to blaze past a school bus with the red loading/unloading lights and stop sign activated. Or when they see that a bus has the amber lights activated and about to come to a stop, they floor the gas pedal because they’re too good to wait 25-30 seconds for kids to get on or off of the school bus.

• LMAO on November 29, 2019 at 11:46 am

It was in CHARLES you moron. God you’re an idiot LOL.

• Anonymous on November 29, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Epic fail, dork. This happend in Charles County, and Charles sucks in every way compared to St.Marys. From the crime rate to the amount of degenerate thug losers that have migrated down. Everybody knows this. You gotta be a fool to raise a family in Northern Charles. Nice try though sport.

48. Anonymous on November 29, 2019 at 11:45 am

LOL not gonna happen. Shut up you dork. You’re probably the same idiot who reads an article then automatically jumps on the “ban guns” bandwagon assuming that’s gonna solve anything but keep more good guys and families unprotected. You don’t know any of the circumstances of this and you wanna lynch someone because you can’t control your wittle feelings.

49. Anonymous on December 3, 2019 at 9:37 am

Once again, a slap on the wrist for someone being so irresponsible. In a hurry to go no where, that is that important, to justify the injury results of an innocent child. The laws are the same for everyone, no matter what some of you may think. Stop means stop! What’s it going to take to hold people responsible for their actions? Unfortunately, let me guess….
    When that bus stops, the children know it is safe to get on/off the bus. No matter what side of the street they need to be on. Yes, they should also be tought to look both ways before crossing any street. They are children. The drivers of a vehicle are supposed to be adults. When a driver gets behind the wheel of any vehicle, you are responsible for your actions, along with anyone else in your vehicle. These are children. If you can’t be responsible enough when getting behind the wheel, then don’t. Calling for stronger laws? They should have already been in place years ago. Uber is always available.

50. Anonymous on December 5, 2019 at 7:19 pm

She should have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Better yet assault of a child. This crime needs far greater repercussions. This is discussing.