33-Year-Old Charlotte Hall Woman Killed in Motorcycle Accident

April 9, 2019

Maryland State Police are investigating a fatal crash in St. Mary’s County.

The deceased is identified as Chrystal Rae Rounds, 33, of Charlotte Hall.

She was transported to University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center where she was later pronounced deceased. Chrystal Rae Rounds was the rear passenger of a 2018 Honda MSX 125 Grom motorcycle involved in the crash.

The driver of the Honda MSX 125 Grom motorcycle is identified as Michael Rounds, 40, of Charlotte Hall.

Michael was transported from the scene to Medstar Washington Medical Center where he is currently undergoing treatment for injuries sustained in the incident.

The driver of the 2019 Mack dump truck involved in the crash is identified as John Lyon, 63, of Clements. The passenger of the dump truck is identified as Robert Raley, 63, of Ridge. Niether Lyon or Raley were injured during the incident.

The preliminary investigation indicates local government workers from the St. Mary’s County Department of Public Works and Transportation were in the area repairing sporadic potholes throughout the neighborhood on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, shortly before 11:30 a.m. this morning. The driver of the dump truck, later identified as Lyon, told police on the scene that while traveling on Mt. Wolf Road, he passed Chappelear Drive and noticed his crew working. He advised police that he stopped the truck, checked the mirrors and drove in reverse to turn on Chappelear Drive when the truck subsequently crashed into the motorcycle. For reasons unknown at this time, the motorcycle was stopped behind the dump truck when the crash occurred.

The dump truck is owned by the St. Mary’s County Department of Public Works and Transportation. Charges are pending the outcome of the investigation and further review by the St. Mary’s County State’s Attorney.

Troopers from the Leonardtown Barrack along with the Maryland State Police CRASH Team responded to the crash. Troopers from the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division also responded to the scene to conduct a post-crash inspection of the dump truck.

The investigation continues

30 Responses to 33-Year-Old Charlotte Hall Woman Killed in Motorcycle Accident

1. Erick & Shay Gonzalez on April 10, 2019 at 12:10 am

We love you, Chrystal. Words could never ever express how much you meant to us. I’ll always remember our ride and conversation from your house to Anne Arundel that one night. We will make sure our son knows your name, how great you were and how much you did for him. We love you. We always will and if we’re blessed enough; we will see you again someday.

• Toni on April 10, 2019 at 11:43 am

I am very sorry for your loss!

• Michelle on April 14, 2019 at 3:23 pm

I knew Chrystal briefly she came to our monthly book club last year at the CH library. We went to lunch once and I tried to keep in touch by email so sad, so sad, very shocking so young May God keep her and bless her in Heaven.

My condolences to her family and prayers for her husband to speedily recover and may God lift him up in His perfect strength and peace.

2. Anonymous on April 10, 2019 at 8:23 am

“For reasons unknown at this time, the motorcycle was stopped behind the dump truck when the crash occurred”.. I’m going to take a guess that the motorcycle was stopped because the truck stopped, and it’s possible when it stopped, it was out of view of the mirrors.. The guy driving the truck should have found a way to turn around, rather than just stop in the middle of the road and hit reverse. Just because you check your mirrors and don’t see anything doesn’t mean someone/something isn’t there. Prayers to all involved..

• Anonymous on April 10, 2019 at 10:16 am

That would be correct. I was a bit confused when the author said for reasons unknown the motorcycle stopped behind the truck. It should have read; for reasons unknown, the truck started backing up in the middle of the road.

• Cheryl Williams on April 10, 2019 at 10:51 am

And at the same time, you can’t blame the driver if he didn’t see anyone after he did the mirror checks and what he was supposed to do, before going in reverse…. its a double edged sword unfortunately… my question is did they have road work signs and caution cones up? RIP to Ms. Rounds~

• You're kidding me right?? on April 11, 2019 at 9:59 am

Are you kidding me?! The driver CAN BE BLAMED!!! You can’t just stop in the middle of the road and back up!!! Whether he did mirror checks or not, you CAN”T STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD AND BACK UP!!!

• MarineVet on April 11, 2019 at 1:57 pm

The passenger should have gotten OUT of the truck and made SURE there was nothing behind them

This is 100% the Truck’s fault!

This story really PI55ES me off

• Anonymous on April 12, 2019 at 10:56 am

MarineVet, Yes, I agree.. But really, the truck shouldn’t have stopped in the middle of the road and backed up period.. This could have been prevented in so many ways..

PS, thank you for your service :)

• Common sense on April 12, 2019 at 2:43 pm

I totally agree. This sounds like a bunch of BS, a cover-up!

3. AliceW on April 10, 2019 at 10:23 am

This will continue till people stop making up rules as they drive. No where in the world allows backing down the road! Wait this state allows passing a car turning left by crossing over a solid white line to pass on an improved shoulder! Absolutely no stipulation the left turning car should be fully stopped or crossing a solid white line is not normal. Mr Rounds is going to own the county and still be without a wife and the state will continue to look the other way on the poor driving habits.

4. ziggy on April 10, 2019 at 11:07 am

that truck is at fault. He drove pass the road and then stopped in the road to back up. In what state is that legal? You have to go to a turn around and come back, you can’t just stop and back up in the road. He just backed over those people, of course he couldn’t see them it was a MAX truck Vs a motorcycle, just horrible

• tiredofthesepeople on April 12, 2019 at 9:21 am

I see vehicles backing up that missed their turn everyday. And NO, it is not illegal to back up. The driver should have gotten out before backing to verify no one is behind them .

• Common sense on April 12, 2019 at 2:46 pm

It’s wreck less endangerment and someone is DEAD BECAUSE OF HIS CARELESSNESS.

• Anonymous on April 13, 2019 at 10:56 am

reckless

• Anon on April 15, 2019 at 8:26 pm

It is illegal to back up on a roadway….the dump truck should have done a proper turn (at the next light, etc.). Just because you don’t see the car behind you, does not in any way mean that it is ok to back up to make a turn. The driver is to blame. The driver can be charged with reckless endangerment and possibly with vehicular manslaughter. Either way, the driver of the truck is at fault.

• I'm still laughing on April 15, 2019 at 8:55 pm

It is illegal you dumba##, you stupid ?

5. Cody Nathaniel on April 10, 2019 at 11:33 am

I didn’t talk to my neighbors that much but the few times I did, I can say that Mr. Mike and Mrs. Chrystal are one of the most down to earth people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. And to think I saw them yesterday morning on my way out to school. I wish Mr. Mike a speedy recovery and may Mrs. Chrystal rest in peace. I’m sorry for your loss, Mr. Mike. My deepest prayers and condolences to all affected.

6. Brett on April 10, 2019 at 11:50 am

This is negligence on the part of the truck driver. He came full stop in the travel area of a road, then instead of simply driving to turn around, or at the very least ensuring no one had stopped behind him, he backed up over someone stopped waiting for him to go.
    I don’t mean to intend any kind of malice, but there is a responsibility a driver of a vehicle that size carries, and the driver did not fulfill that responsibility.
    Very sad, there are no “winners” in this kind of tragic event

7. Anonymous on April 10, 2019 at 12:58 pm

I totally agree

8. Jack Sullivan on April 11, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Mark ,

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

9. Debbie on April 11, 2019 at 8:07 pm

From my understanding, the passenger in the truck should have gotten out and guided the truck back. Especially when it known there is a blind stop that mirrors can’t pick up. Why didn’t the passenger in the truck get out and guide the driver????

• Anonymous on April 12, 2019 at 11:01 am

Better question, why did the driver of the truck just stop and back up? It’s really no one’s fault but the driver. Yes, the passenger could have gotten out and guided.. However, the driver shouldn’t have stopped to begin with. If I pass a street that I am supposed to turn on, I go to the next one and safely turn around. I don’t just stop in the middle of the road and back up, regardless if I see anyone behind me or not. And the driver definitely should have used better common sense to realize that just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there.. Meaning just because he didn’t see anyone behind him in his mirrors, doesn’t mean someone wasn’t behind him in the blind spots the mirrors don’t always see.. No one else is to or should be blamed but the driver. It was a poor judgement call..

10. George on April 12, 2019 at 8:16 am

A less for all of us. Even when we back out of our driveway much check for children. Point is never backup without look. May God Bless Mike and his family.

11. Anonymous on April 12, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Yes, this is a tragic situation but I am very curious. The article said that the motorcycle was a Honda MSX 125. That sounds to me like it could have been a dirt bike which is considered an “off road” vehicle. If it was a dirt bike then the driver of the dirt bike shouldn’t have been on the roadway to begin with. Preventable…most definitely. Keep the dirt bikes off the roadway.

• Putputbike on April 13, 2019 at 8:15 am

The Grom is a street legal bike. A small bike but it has everything needed for a on-highway registration.

• Bill on April 14, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Looking things up, it’s a thing you can do before commenting.

12. youcouldseeitcoming on April 13, 2019 at 4:24 pm

The recent road work in the area is definatley warrnated but the signaling and warnings were negligible.
    Terrible loss for poor planning.

13. Nikko on April 15, 2019 at 2:19 pm

This is a terrible accident where someone lost their life, that is never a good thing. In response to all of the certified investigators on this site: it was the passengers duty to get out and guide the truck backwards, however before you hang the driver in the town square, be advised that there is also a responsibility of the m/c driver to follow behind the truck at a safe distance. If you cannot see his mirrors he cannot see you. I am sure there is a back up alarm on the truck, being a government truck, and if the operator of the motor cycle had been at the distance behind required by law he could have performed evasive actions which could have prevented the accident. SO it is not the complete fault of the driver of the truck.

• Anonymous on April 15, 2019 at 8:59 pm

It really is, you idiot.