May 9, 2019
Some Marylanders who have the new REAL ID license or identification card still must bring in certain documentation to comply with the federal REAL ID requirement.

A group of Marylanders are at risk of having their driver’s licenses or identification cards recalled in June if they don’t satisfy document requirements that are part of the federally-mandated REAL ID process.

The overall deadline for obtaining a REAL ID is October 1, 2020, but more than 66,300 Marylanders with a new REAL ID star license or identification card have not yet filed the required documents. These people have been contacted by the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MDOT MVA) multiple times since December and need to bring those documents to the MDOT MVA by June to complete the process. Without those documents, MDOT MVA will start flagging the affected driver’s licenses and identification cards in June as “recalled.”

The recall of a driver’s license will make the physical card invalid. Customers would still be licensed drivers, but if pulled over by law enforcement, they would have their driver’s licenses confiscated. To avoid this, customers who are part of this group MUST come to a MDOT MVA branch with the required documents as soon as possible and are urged to make an appointment. Affected customers have received three notices via email since December that warn of the June 2019 deadline. They will receive three additional notices in the coming weeks via email and the U.S. Postal Service.

“It’s very important that MDOT MVA customers who have received REAL ID notifications pay attention to the deadlines and provide documents to their nearest branch as soon as possible,” said MDOT MVA Administrator Chrissy Nizer.

REAL ID was passed by Congress after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and creates standards for secure driver’s licenses and identification cards nationwide. As of October 1, 2020, all Marylanders must have documents on file and be REAL ID compliant to use a state-issued driver’s license or identification card to board an airplane or enter federal government facilities.

Maryland began issuing REAL ID licenses and identification cards in 2009 under a process that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) deemed compliant. However, in October 2017, DHS informed Maryland that all customers with a driver’s license or identification card containing the REAL ID star must have documents on file with MDOT MVA.

As a result, some people have the newly-designed driver’s license or identification card, but still need to bring in documents to become REAL ID compliant. The documents can include: a birth certificate or passport, proof of social security and two documents proving a Maryland home address. For those in this group, including those facing the June deadline, there’s no charge for this process since these customers already paid to get their new license.

Administrator Nizer said that for those unsure whether they are part of the group facing the June recall, “we have developed tools to make checking your REAL ID status as simple as possible.”

People can go to the MVA’s REAL ID Look Up Tool, at www.mva.maryland.gov/realidlookup. When customers enter their driver’s license or identification card number, the tool provides details on their REAL ID status. For those facing the June deadline, the Look Up Tool will indicate:

“You are required to present documents in order to meet federal REAL ID Act requirements. Please bring your documents to a MDOT MVA branch office by MM/DD/YYYY. Failure to respond may result in action against your Maryland Driver’s License or ID card.”

The message asks customers to collect the required documents and make an appointment. Appointments aren’t required, but those who make one are guaranteed to be seen within 15 minutes of the scheduled time. Appointments can be made at www.mva.maryland.gov/realid.

The MVA has added more than 1,900 weekly appointment slots across the state, and now has more than 3,000 appointments available every day. Branch offices in Baltimore City, Essex, Easton, Frederick, Gaithersburg and Westminster have extended hours, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturdays, continuing through July 2 to assist in handling high volumes of REAL ID transactions. The Loveville branch in St. Mary’s County is offering Saturday hours of 8 a.m. to noon, also through July 2.

After the June deadline, there will still be nearly a million customers in the same situation – they received the new REAL ID license or identification card but need to file documents with the MVA to satisfy federal requirements. Those affected are being notified over a period of time, to ensure staff could meet standards for outstanding service for these customers, other REAL ID applicants and those conducting other business with the MVA. In May, the MVA will start another six-month notification process for people who will face a November 2019 deadline, then other notifications will go out monthly for those facing later deadlines. The timing allows all of these customers six months in order to comply.

There are 5 million Marylanders with a driver’s license or identification card. Of these, 2.3 million to date have the required federal REAL ID documents on file with MDOT MVA.

53 Responses to More Than 66,000 Maryland Drivers Warned of License Recall and Confiscation Risk

1. Anonymous on May 9, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Interesting since we just checked a family members license who has received not one email or letter telling them they aren’t compliant, yet the website says not compliant. So thank you Maryland for screwing this up. I wonder how many of those 60,000 citizens are like us and ignorant of their impending license revocation.

• Anon on May 10, 2019 at 7:16 am

It sounds like if you aren’t in the “immediately needed” pool, then you wouldn’t have been notified yet (and the MVA tool may not reflect a compliance date).

“After the June deadline, there will still be nearly a million customers in the same situation – they received the new REAL ID license or identification card but need to file documents with the MVA to satisfy federal requirements. Those affected are being notified over a period of time, to ensure staff could meet standards for outstanding service for these customers…”

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 7:22 am

Just because your license comes out as not compliant for documents on the website does not mean you have a June 1 deadline. The deadlines to get these docs are being staggered over a few years. When you get selected for a deadline , that’s when you will start get things mailed to you. However, even if you do not have a deadline yet, you can still go to MVA with the required docs and file them. I highly recommend going online and scheduling an appointment. I did this and was able to get in front of about 50 walk ins. Was in and out of the MVA is 20 minutes.

• Anonymous on May 12, 2019 at 8:48 am

I recieved my FIRST email this week.! This is so stupid and only inconveniences the vast population. This is a WASTE of resources and money. It will not stop terrorism or illegal immigration. Stupid politicians, VOTE 3rd party.

• Just Sayin' on May 14, 2019 at 7:52 pm

That’s right! Waste your vote on a 3rd party! That will really show them!

• Sofa_King_Kewl on May 15, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Or, you could just vote for the same two parties over and over again, expecting different results.

2. Anonymous on May 9, 2019 at 10:30 pm

This is TOTAL B.S…the MVA should already have all these documents on file when the license or id’s were issued! Total waste of time, and what if you dont fly or need to enter government buildings!!! SMH #wastingtime

• Rob Stark on May 10, 2019 at 6:49 am

Did you seriously use a hash tag? Lol, must be a millennial

• Anonymous on May 11, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Great response!!

• Shannon Franks on May 11, 2019 at 6:46 pm

This is what I’m thinking too. If these things are required, why would they grant a license without the full set of requirements being met.

3. Ted Nugent on May 10, 2019 at 5:39 am

Did anyone really believe that this new program was going to go off without a hitch? Once the government gets involved it costs 3 times as much as predicted and will take twice as long to complete. Does Obamacare ring a bell? “This will not add one dime to the deficit. We will work with your insurance companies to lower your premiums by up to $2500.” Look how that turned out. No wonder governments are broke.

4. Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 6:30 am

((Boots stomping)) “PAPERS!” “DOCUMENTS!!” “GET ON THE TRAIN! ALL ABOARD!!”

5. Anon on May 10, 2019 at 7:01 am

Now if you are an illegal immigrant, DON’T WORRY!

None of this applies to you!

Your license will be readily available in the new drive-thru sanctuary-city MVA lanes, without delays.

The documentation, hassles, and rejections are only for long-time tax paying Maryland citizens!

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 11:48 am

Oh, I so agree with you! Sad times we are living in!

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 11:55 am

I can’t believe that we have to go to the MVA I hate going to the MVA everytime I go to the MVA there is a two to three our weight or more I went to the MVA when I got my license renewed now you’re saying I have to go back again this is ridiculous

• fahqueue on May 10, 2019 at 6:14 pm

three “our weight”?

• Chris on May 13, 2019 at 8:31 am

Make an appt. Took me 15 minutes.

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Well said! F Maryland… Let’s March on Annapolis. Are you with me?!

6. Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 7:46 am

This is a F***ing joke!

7. Lee on May 10, 2019 at 7:52 am

Why would I have to renew my Drivers License before it expires??

8. Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 7:55 am

Is it a certain branch or time period that the 66k was issued?

9. Lisa on May 10, 2019 at 8:37 am

Just another way from Maryland to get money from us

• Rob Stark on May 16, 2019 at 2:50 pm

If you’ve already renewed your license, but it’s non-compliant, there are no additional fees.

10. Statemoneygrabs on May 10, 2019 at 8:53 am

What a money grab by the state of MD. This information should already be within our license files.

11. Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 10:37 am

STUPIDITY in its purest form. My license makes it possible for me to pay my bills. Make up lies to take mine and I’ll take you to court.

• boohoo on May 10, 2019 at 2:21 pm

:'( = you

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Yeah. You probably work for the MVA so the next time you pr*cks give me a bad attitude, I’ll give it right back to you.

12. Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 10:40 am

STUPIDITY in its purest form. My license makes it possible for me to pay my bills, keep a roof over my head and eat. Make up lies to take mine and I’ll take you to court!

• Ted Nugent on May 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm

One more time! Only this time put some feeling into it.

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 5:54 pm

And get a job and a life. Trolling on a public news site only shows how pathetic and worthless you are.

• Ted Nugent on May 11, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Says the guy on a public news site commenting. Hypocrite much??

13. Son on May 10, 2019 at 12:28 pm

So the mva or Mexican validation administration handed out new licenses that didn’t comply. Perhaps they haven’t responded to the notices yet is because they can’t read in their own language let alone English

14. George on May 10, 2019 at 2:02 pm

If the illegals didn’t have to show proper documents, I sure ain’t!

• Grammar Police on May 10, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Shouldn’t have to* in lieu of ain’t, which of course is not a word.

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 9:44 pm

Is a word.

• Suckit grammar pig on May 11, 2019 at 8:04 am

ain’t is defined in the dictionary.

• Sir Neck of Red on May 11, 2019 at 9:39 am

‘Tis a word.

• Sir Neck of Red on May 11, 2019 at 9:55 am

Thoust could have employed “instead” rather than “in lieu”, whilst most wrongly denouncing ain’t as a word, which ’tis, if Ye not be a pretentious prick….carry on.

• Meme on May 13, 2019 at 4:28 pm

LMFAO

15. Shelly on May 10, 2019 at 3:50 pm

I dont see anything on the mva website that says this is mandatory, only if you are airline traveling or wanting to enter a federal building. I believe a us passport is good enough to travel on a plane. Please show me where these “consequences”are stated.

• Anonymous on May 10, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Of course they’re not going to post it on the website, their goal is to get you while you’re not ready or unaware of this new rule. The idiots stole my money after sending my renewed license to the wrong address so I wouldn’t put any deceptive tactics past them.

16. diana smith on May 10, 2019 at 9:30 pm

I worked for the Bureau of the Census for 28 years and said when the Real ID idea was launched it would not work. Some states are not capable of instituting the program and it is a crying shame with the taxes, fees etc. we pay Maryland is one of those states. The only way it would have worked, IN MY OPINION (yes I’m yelling before I get all the negative feedback) is an agency in the Federal gov’t needed to develope the software, install computers in every state and oversee the project. Now I have a license that is legal until I get caught speeding or want to board a plane. Oh and be the way, MD WON’T charge me to waste 2+ hours of my time providing I am an American citizen!

17. SBD on May 10, 2019 at 10:12 pm

“Federally” mandated “State” license. Gotta love it.

18. Bluebuddah9 on May 11, 2019 at 11:08 am

This is what it sounds like cus I’m in the bring documents in category. The IT dept f’d up. The data warehouse that stores the info did not get transferred. I changed my name when I got married 12 yrs ago. Last year my old license expired and I got the new md license. Now I’m being told to bring my docs. I already had to bring these docs when I changed my name 12 yrs ago. This is on file or I wouldn’t have been issued a new license to begin with. So there is code that needs to be added in order to bring the data into the new system. A coworker got a new license a few months ago after being married, with name change. She is not on the list. If the IT dept would have taken care of this correctly in the beginning this wouldn’t be happening. And because that data warehouse is probably closed down now this is the only solution to correcting their failure. I’m not saying I am 100% correct.. But Ive seen this happen before with transfers of data to a new system.

• Wili on May 14, 2019 at 11:15 am

I Figured the same thing somebody got a little “ambitious” erasing old files.

19. Anonymous on May 11, 2019 at 12:19 pm

That makes no sense

20. UR Welcome on May 11, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Apparently you mouth frothing southern marylanders don’t understand what is happening here so… let me explain so a 3rd grader can get it.

Some people were issued these new licenses without having their paperwork scanned and entered into the system. Those people who had this happen need to go in and have their paperwork scanned and associated with their license. Those who have already had their paperwork scanned do not need to do it. That is why it only applies to 66K of the people.

• Sick burn bro, too bad it failed on May 13, 2019 at 8:18 am

Let me help you understand, it only applies to 66k at this time. In the end it will impact 1,000,000 (that is “one million” if you cant understand numbers that large) who will have to do this. It is only 66k right now, because if they try to get 1 million people at the same time, the MVA will implode on itself. In other words, everyone that got the new license over the last 3 years will need to do this. EVERYONE. “UR Welcome”.

• Anonymous on May 13, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Let me explain it so a 2nd grader can get it. From 2009 to late 2017 DHS was ok with the way Maryland was issuing licenses. Classic government at work.

• Terrie Jeschke on May 14, 2019 at 1:28 am

At least we know how to read the complete article. “It only applies to 66K” who have to do this by June 2019. In case you are unfamiliar with calendars, that is slightly less than 3 weeks. After this June 2019 deadline there will still be another 1 million Marylanders facing the same problem. Their deadlines will be staggered; the next one is November 2019. They will receive notices giving them 6 months in which to present their documents in order to avoid confiscation. If you actually read the comments you could see that many of us, including myself, NEVER received the notices Maryland claims to have sent. That is the real issue here. So please, before you slander us with your name calling, actually read the article. You clearly missed a few things.

21. Terrie Jeschke on May 14, 2019 at 12:24 am

So how were these notifications supposed to go out…by carrier pigeon? My license number is tagged for confiscation but Thursday’s new broadcast was the first I’ve heard of this. My license was even issued while this program was apparently in effect and I wasn’t asked to present any documents. My email has been in their records for years and I have been at the same address for over 30 years. No emails, no letters, no carrier pigeons. Has anyone gotten a notice other than since this news broke and some serious covering started? Can they really process 66,000 people by June 1st? I logged in today and the earliest appointment I could get was May 20th. So if your license gets confiscated and you are involved in an accident or get stopped for whatever reason, what do you do? You have no ID; do you just say my name is _____________? Do they really think the police are going to be able to handle this mess and just say “oh yeah, we confiscated your license… you are okay”?. Nope. What a mess!!

• bobaloo on May 14, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Just answer “no hablo”.

22. Anonymous on May 14, 2019 at 10:36 am

If you a Legal citizen, you have to show 100s of documents proving your a true Citizen… but if your an ILLEGAL, you speak you native language and get a license without showing any documents.