VIDEO: Bear Caught on Home Security Video Walking Around Waldorf Neighborhood

June 19, 2019

A black bear, which a state wildlife expert says appears to be male and a little over a year old, was captured on a home security video walking through a Waldorf neighborhood on Monday, June 17, 2019, at approximately 9:40 p.m.

Jane Burgess, the wildlife technician with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, says bears in Southern Maryland are rare but not unheard of.

The bear captured on video in Waldorf is likely the same bear seen in pictures taken in Clinton recently.

Burgess says since black bears are native to Maryland, the Dept. of Natural Resources doesn’t plan to do anything about this bear. She says the MD DNR would only get involved if there was a reason, such as if the bear’s presence led to a dangerous situation.

22 Responses to VIDEO: Bear Caught on Home Security Video Walking Around Waldorf Neighborhood

1. Carole on June 19, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Why not take ot to a sanctuary before someone shoots it???

2. Charles on June 19, 2019 at 9:27 pm

In the woods no less

3. Anonymous on June 19, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Looks like a cat with no tail

• Sterling on June 20, 2019 at 8:44 am

Mighty big cat compared to the car

4. Eddie on June 20, 2019 at 2:38 am

This is crazy Wexford village comes right up to my dads back yard and my 2 young kids go swimming over there at my dads all the time who ever would of thought a black bear would basically be right in our back yard honestly I would of loved to seen the thing at a safe distance that is

• Anonymous on June 20, 2019 at 10:55 am

Well there Ed, your kids are in way more danger living in waldorf, than the threat this little guy poses.

• Lorraine on June 22, 2019 at 7:54 am

I have had bears in my yard for years. They will not hurt you or your pets if they are left alone. That bear is in bear heaven with all the fast food places throwing away delicacies as far as the bear is concerned. If the bear is present do NOT feed him. Don’t send your kids out to play with snacks, If you see him and want him to go away bang a few pot lids together and make lots of noise. Do not run, back away slowly. My favorite bear sighting was watching two runners run down my road not knowing about the bear in the tree right over their heads. Also watching a mama bear destroy my garbage just outside my window.. only a pane of glass between her and me. I started freezing my garbage at that point and taking it directly to the street on pick up day. But bears are smart and seem to know when the pick up will be and get there earlier.

5. OldSkool on June 20, 2019 at 11:26 am

OK, I’m all for animals living in their habitat and so forth, but in this case Waldorf is not use to bears walking around like in WV or Va or other parts of Md. With this being summer and children playing and hanging out it would seem that the DNR would at least catch it and take it to a more dense area where they live. Are they going to wait until something bad happens like someone accidentally spooking the bear and get mauled and then say “we are looking for it now”. Isn’t that how this always works?

• Anonymous on June 21, 2019 at 8:27 pm

That little guy ain’t gonna bite or attack anyone. He will be 10x more afraid than anyone is of him. Black bears are pretty docile unless you get between a momma and cubs.

6. Big Dookie on June 20, 2019 at 11:29 am

Pretty Racist huh?

7. Anonymous on June 20, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Right? That little guy is the absolute least of your worries in waldorf. What a cesspool.

8. Darlene Mayhew on June 20, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Just leave him alone. It’s not like he’s looking for Lil’ Timmy burgers and as long as people don’t bother him, he won’t bother people. He most likely lost his way or came to town out of curiosity. I live in Va in a home surrounded by forest and get quite a bit of action when it comes to wild life. I’ve had pretty much every furry critter out there stroll up in my yard right down to a mama bear and her cub as well as a Mountain Lion and her cub. You just let them go about their business and they’ll move on; just as you see in the video where the bear is out for a casual stroll and went on his way just as casual.

9. John on June 20, 2019 at 6:51 pm

Your typical Trump supporter comment

10. Waldorf on June 20, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Well if this is true someone should trap it because if it shows up killing someone’s or my farm animals it will be shot

• keekee on June 21, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Black Bears aren’t typically hunters. They are far too lazy.
      They eat a lot of berries, acorns, and occasionally carrion.
      They will get into your trash in a second though… and might
      take out someone’s poodle if it’s acting like a jerk. :-p

11. Bart on June 20, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Someone is going to shoot it for sure it’s going to kill someone’s animal or a flock of backyard chickens why not trap it and saves it’s life I know if it shows up here it will be put down have to much money invested in my farm animals for some bear to kill them

12. Anonymous on June 21, 2019 at 8:18 am

Excuse you?

13. You Said It Right on June 21, 2019 at 8:29 am

Exactly, all these Rednecks complaining about a poor bear.

14. Shawn on June 21, 2019 at 9:56 am

WOW really?! Apes huh……But you’re a PUNK hiding behind “Relax and return to your seats” name.

15. John .E. Quantum on June 21, 2019 at 4:25 pm

His name is Fuzzy Wuzzy. He is looking for a mountain to go over

16. Not A. Bear on June 25, 2019 at 9:16 am

As DNR said this isn’t the first time and previous bears haven’t killed any children. More danger in hitting it with your car than anything else.

17. david on June 26, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Bears from the west?? I wonder which bridge DNR thinks the bear used to cross the Potomac??