Medic Unit Involved in Motor Vehicle Accident in Lexington Park

September 29, 2019

On Saturday, September 28, 2019, at approximately 1:00 p.m., police fire, and rescue personnel responded to the intersection of Great Mills Road and South Shangri-La Drive in Lexington Park, for the reported motor vehicle accident involving an emergency apparatus.

Crews arrived on the scene to find two vehicles in the roadway involving a Mercedes sedan, and a St. Mary’s County ALS Medic Support Unit.

Two patients were transported to an area hospital with minor injuries. At least four patients signed care refusal forms on the scene.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating the collision.

Updates will be provided when they become available.

48 Responses to Medic Unit Involved in Motor Vehicle Accident in Lexington Park

1. Wiggy on September 29, 2019 at 9:55 am

That intersection sees more accidents that’s any other in St Marys County. Why is it so hard for people to negotiate a simple intersection?

• Contestant #3 on September 30, 2019 at 8:29 am

… I’ll take, ‘Because someone is looking at their phone’s for $800, Alex.

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 11:31 am

And that answer based on photos appears to be the blue car.

• werwe on September 30, 2019 at 10:49 am

Seems to me after it was reconstructed, the sightline form the left turn lanes got worse. I’m also happy they cut down the shrubbery at Mr Tire

2. Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 9:57 am

It’s a good thing the emergency vehicle had that heavy duty bumper shield. Looks like that prevented more serious damage to the vehicle and inflicted more damage on the Mercedes.

3. Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 10:10 am

Volunteers screwing up again.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 1:42 pm

It’s not the volunteers fault for this accident it’s the other vehicles fault. Dont just assume til you get the full story.

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 10:35 am

It’s there fault be quiet

• Fixed on October 3, 2019 at 2:01 pm

*their

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 1:45 pm

It’s the idiot that wasn’t paying attention and speeding not the first responders fault. There are to many drivers that are so oblivious whilst operating vehicles and shouldn’t be driving.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 1:48 pm

And how do you know who was at fault? This article has limited information to go off of

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Asses assuming again.

• Go fill out an app to volunteer then! on September 29, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Screwing up by volunteering their time to rescue the community?!. Accidents happen… way to support those who support the community! (Sarcasm)

• Proud EMT on September 29, 2019 at 8:43 pm

Where do you volunteer to help the community?! Obviously you know so much about it! If they are such screw ups then maybe you should go apply and help the community. Spare your time every month to do some good. Accidents happen. So there was 1 crash out of 700 calls ran in one month. I’d say the good outweighs the bad.

4. WhompThereItIs on September 29, 2019 at 10:52 am

No bridges involved this time?

5. bob on September 29, 2019 at 10:59 am

I hit a State Trooper in the early 70’s in that same intersection. (He ran a red light without a sirin).

• Vegas on September 30, 2019 at 3:08 pm

well Mr. time traveler that intersection in 1970 is not the intersection it is today so go back to sleep.

6. Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 11:10 am

Typical first responders thinking they can do whatever they want and not have care for innocent people on the streets

• They are accepting applications since you’re perfect. on September 29, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Of course they don’t care… That’s why they respond to about 700 calls a month for FREE. That’s right. They don’t get paid to save people. Let’s pray you never need EMS help! Accidents happen.

• Career Guy on October 1, 2019 at 10:02 am

All the while doing it wearing cut off T-shirts and flip flops. All bow down to the Volunteers!

• Wiggy on October 4, 2019 at 9:52 am

If you’re basing it all of apparel, should good Samaritans or passers by not assist someone in need? I’m all about professionalization, but clothing doesn’t always dictate that.

• werwe on September 30, 2019 at 10:51 am

It was the driver of the Mercedes fault you idiot

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Literally was not their fault, they had right of way at a green light and someone came into the intersection. Nice try.

7. Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 11:17 am

Just because you have lights and siren on, means you have the right away. You still have to stop at red lights and then proceed with caution when all is clear.

• Proofread your comments on September 30, 2019 at 8:32 am

Uhh…you do realize you just contradicted yourself, right?

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 2:55 pm

It was a green light and they had right of way… so nice try.

8. Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 12:33 pm

How about you have all the facts before you start bashing first responders. They just can’t “do whatever they want on the streets” and they actually have to be even more cautious because idiots don’t know how to pull over and STOP. People always aren’t as “innocent” as you think they are.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Why does everyone think the ambulance people were the ones wrong here? The front of the car is smashed and the side of the truck so it looks like the car was the one who was wrong.

9. Joe on September 29, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I was a witness to this accident. The medic unit stopped and cleared the intersection and was driving slowly. When they went into the intersection the other car came flying without stopping and then hit them. The man and woman in the unit then had to force the doors open to get out and the first thing they did, while one of them was injured was to help the other lady.
    Before being so quick to assume because of other accidents with emergency crews wait for the whole story. The crew in that unit acted immediately, could you say you would have done the same?

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 2:21 pm

I did not see the initial accident but came outside from my car getting worked on at Mr. Tire right after. Both people in the medic unit seemed to go right to work since the lady from the other car was bleeding. They went over to her as soon as they could exit their unit. The female from the medic unit was clearly hurt because she was the one who came out of the passenger side.
      The family of the other car came to the accident and started causing a big scene and multiple cops had to come. They were being aggressive and rude but I’d expect nothing different considering they looked like typical Great Mills trash. I felt bad for the first responders helping – I could never do it knowing I may have to help someone telling me I was a piece of crap while I’m trying to help them. The lady in the other car was putting on a show for sure. Disgusts me.
      If the first responders read this: Thank you for helping our community and doing what you do. Please do not read the negative comments on here blaming you. If I were in your position yesterday I would have never been able to actually help that woman especially with how her and her family acted. You are heroes.

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 2:28 pm

I believe I was next to you inside when we both walked out to see what was going on. I’m choosing to remain anonymous because I don’t want the thugs in that family to target me the way they screamed at people at the scene!
        That poor girl seemed shaken up getting out of the medic unit and was puking while holding her head. Kudos to her and her partner, they were calm and collected given what had just happened. I’m sure she had a concussion from Shanequia driving like a moron!
        Does anyone know where they were responding to? Is that person okay? If I were that family I would go after the lady at fault here for keeping me from getting necessary care because she couldn’t follow traffic laws.

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 11:29 am

Yes I believe we were talking. I have the upmost respect for those people. They worked together well without even hesitating. They just knew what needed to be done and went to it. Good partners those 2 are, felt like a TV show scene.
          Everyone hating on volunteers can go sign up and do it. I would if I wasn’t injured years ago and unable to. If I did I would want those 2 helping me learn how to do things

• Proud EMT on September 29, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Thank you EMS. Accidents happen. Glad you were still profession and responded to help the citizens first!

• Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 8:53 pm

You tell them Joe!
      People are so quick to blame the first responders whenever something like this happens!

• Rapid Responder on September 30, 2019 at 7:32 am

Thank you for shutting these idiots up and posting the facts Joe. People are too quick to summarize the story when they have no clue.

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 9:05 am

Nice!

10. Matthew Brick on September 29, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Well guess I need to say it again for those of you playing keyboard warrior and arm chair quarterback unless you know what we do as first responder you need to shut up. We have strict rules we follow when it comes to responding to calls, we don’t just get to do what we want. So if you want to actual want to have any relevance to what you say go down to your local department and volunteer cause sooner or later it’s people like you who keep bashing us for every little thing that are gonna make us just not want to do it anymore and you can have fun with your paid first responders and higher taxes.

11. The REAL Truth on September 29, 2019 at 2:01 pm

I can believe this. Driving the local streets every day I lost count of how many times I have seen people totally ignore Emergency vehicles. Even when they have the lights and siren blazing there are still those that think they are more important and do not have to stop and/or move over. The best is when the emergency vehicle passes by and these idiots get right behind them and race down the street following them using the emergency vehicle to ‘clear the roads’
    People! Unless you have a solid median between you and the emergency vehicle… you MUST stop or pull over to make room! ITS THE LAW!!

12. Anonymous on September 29, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Good thing the unit has a dash camera on it. So they will be able to see what happened.
    For those bad mouthing Volunteer’s. Until you know the Facts, and have put yourself in are shoes, and see what we have to see. You have no room to talk.

That crew acted with Due Regard.

• Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 11:08 am

Hopefully they post the dash cam footage when they post the rest of the story so it can shut up the fools here posting

13. Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 10:22 am

…dum..dee..dee..dumdum

14. Anonymous on September 30, 2019 at 4:50 pm

They refused to help my family after THEY HIT HER. Why you all lyin on us and actin like they heros

• Wise old fisherman on October 2, 2019 at 11:18 am

^^^This is bait^^^

Don’t take it

• Anonymous on October 2, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Actually family was on the scene yelling this from what I have heard.

15. Anonymous on October 1, 2019 at 5:25 pm

Well I guess it’s a good thing the witnesses above you have better vision and don’t lie like you since they have made it clear what happened. You can boohoo all you want but the truth is out there and it sounds like your family didnt deserve the help the first responders gave. Maybe your family should learn how to drive.

16. Concerned Citizens on October 2, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Is the update going to be posted? I’d like to see who was found to be at fault here.

17. bENZO on October 7, 2019 at 10:21 am

DARN FIRST RESPONDERS RUINING GERMAN ENGINEERING!! HOPE THEY PAY TO REPLACE THAT PERSON MERCEDES.

• Anonymous on October 8, 2019 at 11:37 am

Hopefully she pays to replace the medic unit. Looks like that crew had the old one anyways.