Malfunctioning Power Washer to Blame for House Fire in Indian Head, No Injuries Reported

October 11, 2019

On Sunday, October 6, 2019, at approximately 11:45 a.m., firefighters from Bryans Road and surrounding departments responded to 20 Oak Street in Indian Head, for the reported structure on fire.

Crews arrived on the scene to find a one and 1/2 story single family home with fire showing from the garage with extensions into the residence’s walls.

The owner was identified as John Garrett, with the estimated loss of structure and contents over $70,000.00

No injuries were reported.

The fire was deemed accidental and caused by a malfunctioning power washer in the garage.

Nearly 40 firefighters responded and controlled the fire in under 10 minutes.

All photos are courtesy of the Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department, and the Charles County Volunteers., http://www.ccvfireems.org/






6 Responses to Malfunctioning Power Washer to Blame for House Fire in Indian Head, No Injuries Reported

  1. Estimate of damages assessment breakdown on October 11, 2019 at 5:49 am

    Damage caused by fire = $20,000

    Damage caused by fire fighters = $50,000

  2. Anonymous on October 11, 2019 at 11:35 am

    Well at least they will have nice new siding. They shouldn’t buy another pressure washer, either. Just pay somebody if you don’t have the enough sense to know not to run gas engines inside a structure, you should own them sorry.

  3. Anonymous on October 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm

    Malfunctioning ??? Sounds to me like someone was refilling the gas tank, and spilled gas on the hot muffler. Human error yes, malfunctioning no .

  4. teacher on October 11, 2019 at 2:32 pm

    Using a power washer inside the garage? Electric washer and left plugged in for an electrical fire? Gas washer and leaking gas fumes and then a spark ignited the fumes for a gas fire? Sure would be good know more details.

  5. Anonymous on October 11, 2019 at 5:34 pm

    so much for wash house ….where people get this ideal from anyway ? what are they eating???drinking anyway!! growing up…i never saw anyone washing their house…..thats what rain for !!……

  6. cornell lee on October 13, 2019 at 7:20 pm

    what really happen is they forgot to say that there was a freezer in the garage and gas fumes from the washer had filled the garage and wben the freezer motor starit ignite the fumes and you have an explosion friend