Letter to the Editor From Former Sergeant at St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office

December 13, 2019

To the Editor,

The following comments are addressed very specifically to St. Mary’s County Commissioners Hewitt, Guy, and Morgan. From 2006 to 2016 I was a Deputy Sheriff with the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office. I held assignments in Patrol, Investigations, and Special Operations as well as a number of collateral duties. I often worked in excess of 12 to 14 hours days, frequently 6 days a week, many times for months on end. I don’t share this because I feel my service was exception, quite the contrary, at SMCSO, it was common place. When I left the agency, I was a Sergeant and number one on the list to make Lieutenant. I was not unsuccessful. Law enforcement was not a tourist stop for me: it was a career, it was a way of life, and it was a family.

I didn’t leave the agency because I wasn’t being paid enough. I left because I was tired. I was tired in my very bones. I was tired of seeing my children once or twice a week. I was tired of doing more with fewer and fewer people. Most importantly, I was tired of looking the selfless men and women I was supervising in the face and telling them “hang in there, things will get better,” when I saw no evidence that was the case.
Since I have left the agency, I understand Sheriff Cameron has made great strides toward improving its culture.

Regardless, it has continued to hemorrhage employees at an alarming rate. The people leaving are not the deadwood of the agency; they are talented, hardworking, and dedicated, both sworn and non-sworn. They are the agencies lifeblood and future. Many of them are leaving for agencies (such as Charles County) that offer them better pay, benefits, and working conditions. A few days ago, you gentlemen had an opportunity to start correcting this trend and you demurred. You claimed to “not have enough information” when in reality you have remained willfully blind in hopes of appearing favorable to everyone. This is not the time for more handshakes and hollow words, it isn’t the time for politics as usual. This is the time to take action for the benefit and security of your constituents. If you fail to do so, I strenuously urge them all to speak their disapproval with their votes in the next election cycle.

Most Sincerely,
R. Jason McCoy
(Former Sergeant/SMCSO #206)

29 Responses to Letter to the Editor From Former Sergeant at St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office

1. Kimberly on December 13, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Very well said sergeant.

2. Kathleen wright on December 14, 2019 at 12:30 am

I agree things need to improve for our officers. I it’s they step up and start doing the right thing.

3. Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 5:20 am

Flashback 2006: I warned you McCoy. It’s a shame it took you 10 years to figure it out. Should have started with the other county.

4. Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 7:24 am

” I was a Sergeant and number one on the list to make Lieutenant.” Truth be told, dude was butt hurt he didn’t get promoted where he thought he deserved it.

• Ja'quiz on December 15, 2019 at 6:09 pm

But he didnt make it and now he big mad.

• LawDogg on December 17, 2019 at 8:13 am

Were you part of the butt hurting process? You sound like one of the agencies subpar supervisors, still suffering from inadequacy issues. too bad you lack the skills to move on to a professional law enforcement agency. Sucks to be you!

5. Trump 4 Jail 2020 on December 14, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Blah blah….. Ba HUMBUG. HERES QUARTER CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A DAM.

• I passed 4th grade on December 16, 2019 at 7:12 am

Do you mean, sort of like the Hoover Dam?

• D on December 17, 2019 at 7:54 am

What’s your problem? Do you have something constructive to say? If not, get off your keyboard and do something productive.

6. Cathy pfeiffer on December 14, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Very well said it is very sad the commissioners are takeing the stand they are I for one will not be costing for any of these men come next voteing time thank you for your service to our country and God bless you and all men and women that serve the county

• Anonymous on December 15, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Dearest Cathy,

Your spelling and grammar are horrific.

Signed: A concerned friend

7. Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Thoughts and prayers

8. Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Strenuously. Somebody’s been watching too much A Few Good Men.

• Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Actually a word used a lot on Military/LE Documentation, Briefs, and Evaluations. A Buzz Word if you will, and well put in this situation.

• Anonymous on December 15, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Really? I’m a LEO and in the reserves. I’ve not seen it in use for my 12 years of service. Quit making up fake facts.

• Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 8:52 pm

That’s all you got? Criticizing language? Not everybody worships spongebob squarepants like you do.

• Anonymous on December 15, 2019 at 10:26 am

Naaa. I also criticized his choice of agency. I also criticize his name change. Want some more?

• D on December 17, 2019 at 7:55 am

This is probably the same police hating troll that commented above. Pay him or her no mind. They’re living in mommy’s basement.

• Vigo the Carpathian on December 16, 2019 at 8:08 am

I prefer “vigorously”. Its a much better word, IMHO.

9. Anonymous on December 14, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Should have listened in 2006 and went to the other agency. Took you 10 years to figure it out.

• Anonymous on December 15, 2019 at 2:47 pm

You said this twice, boomer. Wanna go forma third or have you figured out technology yet?

• Anonymous on December 17, 2019 at 10:37 am

Should have listened in 2006. People who know, know BDO. Too bad it took 10 years to figure it out!

• Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane on December 16, 2019 at 4:57 am

One more time Enos!

10. Scooter Smith on December 14, 2019 at 11:13 pm

I left the school system and took a MUCH better position on base because of this same reason. These commissioners do not care about the people in this county.

• Think on that on December 15, 2019 at 6:11 pm

But you knew going in that teaching wouldn’t pay much. You guys go to school for knowing the pay is terrible and then complain.

11. annon on December 15, 2019 at 11:40 pm

well said and 100% true. Your elected officials have no clue. The Department officers will leave and go to better paying departments.

12. The REAL Truth on December 16, 2019 at 8:35 am

So… there are not enough sheriffs because they don’t get paid enough? Laughable! Try joining the military and working 16 hour days for 2/3 of what these sheriffs are getting paid! Talk about “tired in your bones.”
    The commissioners need to pay these people what they deserve BUT, the sheriffs need to also step up and do their jobs! Judging by the multiple car crashes and ever increasing pill heads in this county… they need to step it up!

13. Anonymous on December 17, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Goot. Goot. Should have listened there back in the day partner. Too bad it took ya ten years to figure it out. Goot. Goot.

14. J on December 17, 2019 at 6:09 pm

I see county law sleeping in their cars all the time yull must be worked like dogs to but the county doesn’t wanna pay any of us more then 29,000 a year because it’s cutting into their party budget coke and alcohol, ever seen Laura in court lady looks strung out