Drunk Driver that Killed 3-Month-Old in Waldorf Charged with Negligent Homicide

June 7, 2018
Michael Maurice Ford, 49, of Columbia

Michael Maurice Ford, 49, of Columbia

On Friday, June 01, 2018, Corporal J. Zimmerman of the Maryland State Police CRASH Team presented the facts of the investigation for the fatal collision that occurred on May 07, 2018, in Charles County, Maryland to the Grand Jury for Charles County, Maryland.

On Monday, June 04, 2018, the Grand Jury for Charles County issued an indictment for Michael Maurice Ford, 49, of Columbia, for the following charges:

• Grossly Negligent Manslaughter by vehicle
  • Negligent Homicide by vehicle while under the influence of alcohol
  • Negligent Homicide by vehicle while under the influence of alcohol per se
  • Fail to return and remain at scene of accident knowing death occurred
  • Fail to return and to remain at scene of accident involving death
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol per se
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol
  • Fail to render reasonable assistance to injured person in accident.

On Thursday, June 07, 2018, at approximately 1229 hours, Troopers from the Maryland State Police La Plata Barrack took Michael Maurice Ford into custody without incident and he was transported to the Charles County Detention Center and held pending a bond review.

The Maryland State Police CRASH Team was assisted with the investigation by Troopers from the Maryland State Police La Plata Barrack, the Maryland State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED), the Maryland State Apprehension Team (MSAT), the Charles County Sheriff’s Office and the Charles County State’s Attorney’s Office.

On Monday, May 7, 2018, at approximately 3:50 p.m., Troopers from the Maryland State Police La Plata Barrack responded to a reported motor vehicle collision in the area of Rt. 301 and Pierce Rd., in Waldorf.

Due to the seriousness of the collision, members from the Maryland State Police Crash Team and Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED) responded to the scene to assist.

Michael Maurice Ford, 49, of Columbia

Michael Maurice Ford, 49, of Columbia

37 Responses to Drunk Driver that Killed 3-Month-Old in Waldorf Charged with Negligent Homicide

1. Nick on June 7, 2018 at 7:19 pm

N matter how much time he gets, it won’t be nearly enough!

• Anonymous on June 7, 2018 at 10:11 pm

You don’t know he is suffering from what you don’t have no a clue. He isn’t proud and he is already dead inside. He never ment for this to happen.. he wishes that he could have change this. It is easy to say or talk about what you don’t know. He has done time in a way you could never have. You have to know his parents and his story. He is already doing life being his mother son you don’t have a cle and yes I know them well. He not proud or happy about this or what happened to the child. So until we all understand we don’t know the next mans story don’t speak on it. What we need to do is pray for everyone and ask Hod to help all in this matter even him.

• Just The Facts on June 8, 2018 at 8:22 am

That might all be very touching IF he had NOT decided to:

Drive under the influence and wreck his car into another.
        Leave the scene of the accident HE CAUSED, KNOWING serious injury had occurred
        Leave those injured there “helpless” and run like a coward.

So yes – If he has a conscience – it will bother him for the rest of his life, fading as time allows.

But we all reap what we sow.

• Anonymous on June 8, 2018 at 8:27 am

What he needed to do was stay off the road. I don’t care who you are or your story, that was a decision he made and she needs
        To pay for it. Another death that could have been prevented by Uber, Lucy and a person who is so close to the family they know the back story and what he has been through….said person could have been a phone call away to pick him up and get him home safely. Instead the innocent family of a baby is suffering.

• brian on June 8, 2018 at 8:35 am

He needs to suffer, he knew he was drunk long before he willfully sat behind the wheel of that vehicle. I don’t have to and don’t want to know any more of his story except this chapter. He willfully drank to intoxication, willfully got behind the wheel of a vehicle, and those two willful actions left an innocent family with a dead child…case closed for Michael Maurice Ford in my eyes.

• Spare me on June 8, 2018 at 9:04 am

Congratulations on being the first person to make excuses for him! He’s had a tough life and needs to drink to ease the pain? I have no problem with that, but either get someone sober to drive or do your sorrow drowning at home. Nothing in his life MADE him get behind the wheel drunk. He made the conscious decision to do that. I’ve had it rough too….molested as a child, family members murdered, another family member in prison. Guess how many times I’ve driven drunk. Zero.

• Dusty on June 8, 2018 at 9:33 am

He still should have known better than to drink and drive and then tried to run from the scene. I have no sympathy and yes whatever he gets won’t be enough.

• Anonymous on June 8, 2018 at 9:50 am

OMG Really? Your going to make excuses because he is an irresponsible hood?Stop making excuses for breaking the law and being ignorant.

• Anonymous on June 8, 2018 at 9:53 am

What are you trying to write. English, not Ebonics

• Reality on June 8, 2018 at 11:42 am

His sad past history does not give him an excuse to get behind the wheel drunk and murder someone. We don’t care about his story…only the victims story. You said ” he has done time”, well apparently not enough.

• Vigilante on June 8, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Are you serious? I wonder if you’d feel the same way if it was your child who died because this idiot decided to get behind the wheel and drive drunk. I don’t care what his story is, who hurt him or any of the other crap you just spewed. POINT BLANK- he took an innocent life due to his own decisions. This would have never happened if he was not driving drunk, PERIOD. The best thing to do is pray. But how dare you get on a public forum and defend his actions because he’s had it ruff. We’ve all had it ruff at times. I hope the family does not see your ignorant and selfish comments. They are the ones who need sympathy right now. You must be equally as stupid. Thanks for reassuring us this jerk isn’t proud.

• Anonymous on June 11, 2018 at 10:41 am

No one defended his actions, yet I would as a matter fact I would’ve asked to have a conversation with him to find out but that’s just who I am. And I was not defending him, and you didn’t hear me say anything about he had been in jail before that was one of y’a no one defended his actions, yet I would as a matter fact I would’ve asked to have a conversation with him to find out but that’s just who I am. And I was not defending him, and you didn’t hear me say anything about he had been in jail before that was one of you all. I never even said to he shouldn’t do Thai see if you read my article on my statement I said they he should be punished for his part, I also said judge not be not judge, Elise battles were not there at the scene of the accident and I also say speak of the things that you know and you couldn’t possibly know anything because you were not there you picked up a paper, and we don’t want like the rest of us and read the article and there was so many holes in the article it was ridiculous because I’m ask you the same question to ask somebody else. How can you be at the scene of the accident to be questioned by the police arrested at the scene of the accident but yet flee the scene of the accident that to me made no sense and it still doesn’t make any sense. I agree that he should not have been drinking and driving I agree a 1000%, I cannot argue with any of you were on that I agree that is a sad and horrible thing for a mother to have to go through. But I also know that everybody suffers in the ass and I’ve been taught in my life that you shouldn’t put your mouth on things if you weren’t there to eaexperience it or see it with your own to eye’s. And when I read something and it doesn’t make sense I keep my mouth off of it until it does. We only know four things for sure,he was at the scene of the crime because that’s where they arrested him at the scene of the accident . 2 The baby did pass away, 3 they did a breathalyzer that would make the fact that he was at the scene of the crime a true statement. And 4 they say he turned yourself in without it so incident which means that he’s not a runner when they made it known that they had a warrant for him he went in on his own. I see you would’ve been a lynch mob to kill Jesus Back in the day because you go home for all information I don’t know how much is true how much is it true . Let’s Stick to the facts. Yes he was wrong and somethings and again I agree with you 1000% but some of the other stuff you should keep your mouth off of it because you weren’t there and I was in there either but somethings I know for sure which ones he was just not out drinking and driving he was at work yes he was drinking because again we know they did a breathalyzer at the scene of the yes he was wrong and some things and again I agree with you 1000% for some of the other stuff you should keep your mouth off of it because you weren’t there and I was in there either but somethings I know for sure which ones he was just not out drinking and driving he was at work yes he was drinking because again we know they did a breathalyzer at the scene of the crime accident But you can’t take a breathalyzer of a person that used plane left the scene of the accident last year’s brains on that if we have it but you can’t take a breathalyzer of a person that used plane left the scene of the accident where she shoes brains on that if we have one

• Nick on June 12, 2018 at 4:44 am

What in the hell are you rambling about?
            Nothing and I mean NOTHING you typed makes any damned sense!

“No one defended his actions, yet I would as a matter fact I would’ve asked to have a conversation with him to find out but that’s just who I am.”

If he had killed your innocent child, destroying the life and dreams that family had, you would have “asked to have a conversation?”

There is no defense for drinking and driving…none, zero, zilch, nada!

• Nick on June 8, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Would you be making excuses or defending him if he killed YOUR child?
        No matter what he has been through in his life, there is NO excuse for drinking and driving!
        He killed a baby and he deserves whatever personal hell he is going through and whatever punishment the court gives him.

• CJ on June 8, 2018 at 12:38 pm

At least he still has his life. What he did to this child? He killed him, that’s what he did. And I know the child’s family, so there will be no compassion for this guy’s trials and tribulations.

• BS on June 8, 2018 at 1:35 pm

No way in hell will I have ANY compassion for this guy. And there is nothing YOU can say that will make me feel bad for what I think of him. Bottom line is he killed a person, a little child. Stop making excesses for him. He needs to take COMPLETE responsibility for his choices and actions. How dare you.

• FDGray on June 8, 2018 at 9:37 pm

You should have read over your comment. I got a headache following the grammar. No matter what his story may be he made the following choices: (1) to drink in excess (2) get behind the wheel and drive (3) put the lives of the innocent in danger, which resulted in a baby’s death.

Know his parents (what does that have to do with his decision). When as an adult do you decide it best to do better than you parents, then to live or act as they did. Everyone suffers from something at some point and most of us act responsibly. He can’t change anything now and an apology won’t take away the suffering he’s cost. Hopefully the grieving family are Christians and have the heart to forgive.

• Linda on June 9, 2018 at 2:16 am

Stay at home! He made the choice to not stay at home! He devastated a family by not staying at home! His life may be hard and he may be sorry but he should of chosen to drink and stay at home.

• Bebop on June 9, 2018 at 7:41 am

“F” His story!!!

• Grammar Police on June 9, 2018 at 9:25 am

We need to pray for your atrocious grammar and lack of comprehension.

2. Anonymous on June 7, 2018 at 9:50 pm

I hope he’s sentenced to the max and that others take this serious. Do not drink and drive

3. donna on June 8, 2018 at 12:20 am

I was at the light when the ambulance, and police were there. This was a very bad accident. I pray the couple that lost their baby are doing well. Thank you to all that helped these people that day. I’m glad this man will have to pay for his negligence..

• Anonymous on June 8, 2018 at 10:49 am

So I do too

4. Lieutenant172 on June 8, 2018 at 9:44 am

Nothing fixes this. Not even a life sentence.

5. Michele on June 8, 2018 at 12:28 pm

This man was drinking and driving. I don’t care what his back ground is I don’t care how difficult of a life he may have had. At some point you have to stop being a victim of your circumstances and become a productive member of society. There is nothing you can say that will justify what this man has done to this family. I’m sure he is very sorry that this happened; but tell me if this didn’t happen would he still be drinking and driving and risk others lives. I’m sure he would for the simple fact as you stated he is victim of his circumstances and you make excuses for his bad behavior. Get over yourself grow up and break the cycle. You sound completely ignorant even trying to defend what happened.

• Ted Nugent on June 9, 2018 at 9:26 am

You just summed up the Democratic party perfectly.

6. Anonymous on June 9, 2018 at 12:14 pm

He wasn’t hugged enough as a child and was not afforded the opportunity to succeed in life due to racial discrimination in America, He was getting his life together and was about to attend an Ivy League School so he live his dream as a nuclear physicist.

• It's That Same Ole Story on June 11, 2018 at 7:39 am

Excellent.

You summed it up perfectly.

Mine was censored out by you know who.

7. GoneFishin' on June 11, 2018 at 7:46 am

Ollie’s has adult coloring books available to help take the edge off life. They also have a few English Grammar books at reasonable prices as well. If you cannot afford Ollie’s it’s only a couple of blocks to the public library. I took me a couple of reads before I had any clue what the second post even said. I’m still not sure that I fully comprehend what this person was trying to say.

8. Anonymous on June 11, 2018 at 10:56 am

What I was saying was that all of you who can’t read and your comprehension level is not all of that intelligent because if you could comprehend or read you would find out that there was a lot of holes in the story. Because let me sum it up you can’t breathalyzer rest of person is not at the scene of the crash now did all of you in town with your professor spell police and all of that understand when I sleep what I was saying was that all of you all can’t read and your comprehension level is not all of that intelligent because of you could comprehend or read you would find out that there was a lot of holes in the story. Because let me sum it up you can’t breathalyzer rest a person is not at the scene of the crash now did all of you professor spell police understand what I said. Are you intelligent folks also to gave it to understand that I see it I greet he should not have been drinking and driving but you intelligent people also negated the fact that he was in a work truck but of course intelligent people always seem to know the most intelligent post when he was a young lady that was at the scene of the crime in Jesus she didn’t even say that he wasn’t there and of course you did not read the part where I say I greet with you wall that he should not have been drinking and driving and of course you did not understand that I said that my heart went out to the family of the baby. But I’m not going to put a new surround my neck for things that aren’t true I will stick to the facts, And how much fact tof us who were not there really know. We don’t but we all agree that our hearts go out to that child and his parents and the family we all agree that he should not have been driving drunk, but let’s not talk about things that we don’t now and we don’t know the full story we do know that he was drunk because he was at the scene of the crim we don’t but we all agree that our hearts go out to that child and his parents and the family we all agree that he should not have been driving drunk, but let’s not talk about things that we don’t now and we don’t know the full story we do know that he was drunk because he was at the scene of the accident to get breathalyzed we do know that we know he was at the scene of the accident to talk to the police. we also now from the final story that he went and turned yourself in after they decided what they were going to charge him with because prior to there were no charges, and as soon as they contacted him and told him there were charges he went to the police station on his own. It’s people like you that Jesus didn’t even stand a chance , Some before some asshole says that I’m comparing him to Jesus no I’m not I’m just saying we shouldn’t talk about things we don’t have all the facts because I’m quite sure everybody in that mop didn’t know what they were yelling kill them for they just know they were yelling killing. before some asshole says that I’m comparing him to Jesus no I’m not I’m just say we shouldn’t talk about things we don’t have all the facts because I’m quite sure everybody in that mop didn’t know what they were yelling kill them for they just know they were yelling killer I wanna know what happened to the Nissan car and the driver of that car. But we only remember what we want to remember and we only really what we want to read and we only pick and choose pieces that make it easy for us to judge a person don’t judge if you weren’t there I’m not judging or either side again my heart goes out to the family and I don’t negate what he did by drinking was wrong but that story changed so many times so I only stick to the facts but not all of us were raised to do that. And I’m quite sure you will pick and choose stories on this site and you rip people apart . It would seem like just a little bit of Michael Ford in all you all something miserable your life that makes you try to suppress it it one way or the other. And if you ask me how I know his name I think it’s all through the article so before you go saying how does she know his name I read the article just like you watch a glass right you couldn’t read the whole article because if you did you wouldn’t know he was at the scene of the accident that seems to be the big thing you all are talking about. Just like the intelligent statement about he should’ve called that it took me 10 minutes to laugh at that one because he was at work, and nobody ask did his job know. Of course you would ask that question because you’re so busy trying to say he was drinking and driving and he should’ve called Uber. I’m praying for all y’all more for the parents of the child but I’m praying for yahoo sit on the site not being at that accident I’m praying for him and I’m definitely praying for you

• FDGray on June 11, 2018 at 9:35 pm

I sure hope all of this rambling you’re doing is a joke. Trying to make sense of all your statements is a headache in itself. No the majority of us reading the article wasn’t there, but we can all agree on a few things: (1) a drunk driver killed an innocent baby (2) the baby’s family deserve all our prayers. Most importantly (3) if this is the way you communicate on a normal basis, that you’re his lawyer which makes him destined for prison.

• War and Peace on June 12, 2018 at 10:13 am

PLEASE spare us the novel!

Go hug your jailbird friend.

• CJ on June 12, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I couldn’t stand to read past two lines of that crap, but all I wanted to say was the father of the child said when the man driving the box truck that hit them exited the cab a couple beer cans also fell out and he kicked them underneath the truck to hide them. Period. None of your BS even matters. He made a major mistake and a young life was cut short because of it and he lives on another day. I just don’t feel sorry for him one bit. I feel sorry for the parents. And for the little baby that died that will never get to grow up now.

9. Anonymous on June 12, 2018 at 7:56 am

You lost me at “But I’m not going to put a {new surround my neck} for things that aren’t true I will stick to the facts”

Stop trying to defend him with your comments, you aren’t helping him and you make yourself look like a fool.

10. Anonymous on June 12, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Hello you dumb ass. Let me try to get your attention long enough to read this police report sentence.

Ford was arrested without incident Thursday afternoon, June 7 in Howard County and transported to Charles County. He is in jail and is awaiting a bond hearing. He is now being held without bond. Thank you Jesus.

You are so stupid and ignorant. I see why he married you. You are a poor excuse as a wife. I am so glad that you too did not reproduce. How can you even fix your mouth to come out with this garbage. Oh I forgot you just as stupid as he. You call yourself a minister, I know who you are. You are a liar and a false minister. You think that you can hide from the truth. That people won’t know who you really are? You know him so well because you are married to him. You think that anything you do from this point on in your life you will work out. I pray not. This so called ministry of yours and you will fail. I researched him and found you too. So like the majority of us on here we are smarter than you may think. Keep in mind that everything you do in public will come forward. Social media is a wonderful thing. Good luck in hiding your anonymous statements. Oh one more thing. I was wondering, Um why you lookalike a man

11. MADD on June 13, 2018 at 7:53 am

You are just as much of a monster as he is. Defending a drunk driver-wow. There are ZERO holes in the story. He chose to drink and drive. He got out of the freakin vehicle after he struck the jeep and cans came out onto the ground, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! He fled the scene of the accident, COWARD. Didn’t render help or anything. Oh wow, he turned himself in….CONGRATS. They had him anyways.

As a mother myself, I hope it haunts him every day. And the jury makes an example out of him for future cases to come and gives him LIFE. And as for you, shame on you for defending a scum like such. How would you feel if it was your child? Friend or not, you should be ashamed of yourself.

12. MADD on June 13, 2018 at 8:16 am

Tell me Pastor does Jesus condone drinking and driving? Killing innocent people, babies at that..